TV, Anyone?

England, Newcastle-Blackburn 8 p.m. FSC
MLS, San Jose-Real Salt Lake 10 p.m. HDNet
Mexico, Atlas-Chivas 10 p.m. Telefutura
MLS, Chivas USA-Kansas City 10:30 p.m. FSC/FS Espanol
Mexico, Atlante-Pumas midnight Galavision

By Steve Goff  |  September 26, 2008; 4:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Soehn's Approach
Next: Matchday: United-FCD

Comments

First!

Posted by: Spartan | September 26, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Slightly off-topic -- the AP is reporting that Dominic Cervi is joining Celtic.

"Celtic manager Gordon Strachan said Friday the team's goalkeeping coach expects Cervi to be a two-year project."

If Seitz doesn't start getting playing time, he may get competition for the USMNT goalie-of-the-future....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 26, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

HEY GOFF,

Do you know where the US National Team will be practicing in DC before the World Cup Qualifier (and what days)?

THANKS GOFF!

Posted by: Ameobi | September 26, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

UVA up 1-0 on VT in Blacksburg (20th minute).

Posted by: FC | September 26, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FC | September 26, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Halftime: UVA 1 VT 1

Posted by: FC | September 26, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

DEBATE @ 9pm
ANYTHING ELSE afterwards

Posted by: ohboyohboy | September 26, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Maryland vs Wake are having a great game. Very nice cheering fans all in same shirst. That's nice and loud noise.

Posted by: fOOTBALL | September 26, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

UVA wins the rivalry game 2-1 on the road thanks to a pair of goals from Matt Mitchell.

Posted by: FC | September 26, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

who's winning in the debate?

Posted by: longfellow | September 26, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Where does each candidate stand on the issue of a single table?

Posted by: FC | September 26, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

McCain is for single table because it favors the rich teams.

Obama is against it because a team can slack off all season and still get in.

Perot made a sucking sound.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 26, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

No one invited me. ƒ#ç%ing jerks.

Posted by: Bob Barr | September 26, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Wake Forest 4 - Maryland 2
Final

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 26, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

What a great night! MD lost and UVa beat VT.

Posted by: RK | September 27, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Slightly off-topic -- the AP is reporting that Dominic Cervi is joining Celtic.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 26, 2008 4:41 PM
-------------------------------------------

lol, have you actually seen Cervi and Seitz play? Don't let the getting signed by a massive club thing fool you. Cervi on his best day is a Div 1 college goalkeeper. All he has is height, Celtic knows it's just a gamble but based on his height, european passport and American GK pedigree they'll roll the dice.

Seitz IS and WILL be a much better GK than Cervi. Hell, I'd take Josh Lambo over Cervi.

Posted by: TommyT | September 27, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

I don't believe anyone has yet posted a link to Goff's report from Ludwig Field:

Was anyone (apart from Goff) there in person? Given that several days ago, a number of people argued in all seriousness that you take your life into your hands whenever you set foot in any part of PG, did you get out unscathed (/sarcasm off)?

Posted by: The Jeff | September 27, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

College Park, MD - In the largest mass car-jacking/random shooting event ever in the United States, 6,000 people were killed and 2,000 cars were stolen after the collegiate soccer match between the University of Maryland and Wake Forest University at Ludwig Field. The heavy rain allowed Prince George's police to easily apprehend the suspects, who were stuck in traffic trying to enter I-495. All suspects were immediately shot by the police.

In an apparently unrelated event, several dogs were shot and killed Friday night, also in the College Park area.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 27, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Arsenal' defense gives Geovanni some time at the top left side of the area. He rockets a shot past a diving, outstretched Almunia high and inside the far post.

Minutes later, Kuzak heads in a corner.

66' - 2-1 Hull at the Emirates

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 27, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Sorry. Second Hull City goal scored by Cousin, pronounced COO-san. je ne parlez pas francais.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 27, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Arsenal presses. Gallas' header off the x-bar. Fabregas' drive from long range parried over the bar.

"They came to see a cricket score, with Hull the victims." Commentator, on the Arsenal fans' disappointment.

Upstart Hull City, playing like it's just another game, takes 3 points at the Emirates.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 27, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

In other action last night, Georgetown beat Rutgers in overtime, 2-1.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 27, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of TV, though this is for tomorrow... I have Verizon FiOS Premium, which, I imagine, would mean I have all the channels, but I can't seem to find Telefutura (with the DC United game in Dallas) anywhere in channel lineup. Do I really have to go to Summer's, or am I just not looking for it the rught way? I guess my search would be easier if I spoke Spanish, but no such luck. Zip code 22203 in Arlington.

Posted by: tlk | September 27, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in NH. The only soccer I could get when I was a kid was Soccer-made-in-Germany on public television, and an occasional match on wide-world-of-sports. Now it's on every day from all over the world.

My question, and it's one i've asked before but have never received an answer, is: when the media talks about the number of homes that have watched a game - the share, I think -- does that include folks who watched games on sattelite (I have DISH network). Or, is it just the folks who have a Nielson box attached to their tv? It seems to me, the ratings do NOT include those of us who are watching games via means other than cable. I mean, if soccer was such a bad sell, how could FSC survive?

Any comments would be great. My gut tells me that the "ratings" system is biased.

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 27, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

tkl: It looks like channel 20 is the local telefutura which I think is the same as telemundo. Galavision or Univision is 14.

Hacksaw: I have always wonder about the ratings myself and have no idea how they do it! I am always amaze with how many people have watched the game!

Posted by: FOOTBALL | September 27, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

@ Hacksaw | September 27, 2008 7:06 PM

Go to Lisa de Moraes' chat on Fridays to get an informed answer.

Go to Soccer Insider for speculation. For all we know, the cable/satellite companies collect data on our viewing habits. I think, though, that the Nielsen rating is still the basis form which viewership is extrapolated.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 27, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

This Red Bull/Rapids game should be on Comedy Central, not MSG. Defending on zero!

Posted by: DC Fan in NY | September 27, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

270:

My years in College Park taught me to not have nice things.

DC Fan in NY:

That's actually why I came on here, to see if anyone had anything to say about it. Both teams are scoring with virtually every thrust forward. Toledo is helping out by giving out penalties by the letter of the law, though I thought the one given to Colorado was more make-up call than anything else. Both teams are just shutting down when the ball gets in their end. NY seems to get into a game like this every season.

HT sub, Cichero hauled off for Boyens. While I'm not at all surprised that Osorio wanted to yank someone, I don't think putting in the mediocre Boyens is going to help. He'll do better on the high balls Colorado is forcing down their throat, but his positional awareness is lower and he's prone to disaster (which means he'll fit right in tonight).

I'm not sure which result will benefit us the most. If NY loses, the gap from top to bottom in the wild card race stays at 6 (NY on 35, LA on 29...yes, I'm counting Toronto as out). That's a good thing. On the other hand, if a Western team can push themselves into a more certain 2nd place, that leaves one less team fighting for wild card spots.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 27, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

The GMU men have just defeated VCU, 2-1. Last night the GMU women defeated JMU, also by a score of 2-1.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 27, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Now Kandji, on as a sub, sets up Mbuta, on as a sub, for yet another equalizer. Mbuta seems to have completely baffled the NY announcing team, as both have referred to him as Danleigh Borman, and Cangelosi also called him "Mtuba" twice. Big surprise, Shep Messing finds a goal "unbelievable". Has there ever been a goal that Shep would describe as "believable"?

Osorio's subs working like a charm, and both players look like they can play. The strategy of picking up the best of the USL looks better and better.

Rapids sub LaBrocca for Cooke. Nice to see them go for the win, but it might actually be a bad time for that. NY is very much in control at the moment.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 27, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, 4-4 in New York...

Posted by: bob | September 27, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

5-4, Colorado gets a 90th minute goal from Casey who completes his hat trick. Great game.

Posted by: bob | September 27, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

"Y LLORO POR TI"
"Y Lloro por ti"
"Red bull Llore por ti"

Posted by: Juan Mastodan | September 27, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

No surprise: Colorado grabs a 90th minute goal completely against the run of play. Casey with a hat trick now. Big win for the Rapids, and likely a very demoralizing loss for NY. Who knows whether this will benefit United?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 27, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Whats worse than losing 5-2 on the road against landon and becks underachieving OWNED worst team in the league???????

Losing 5-4 at home against a Team with no history/no marquee players and mostly 2 tier mls players.

JEJEJE

UN Minuto de silencio..
para Red bull que esta muertooooooo

Posted by: dc fan | September 27, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

ATTENTION!!!!!
ATTENTION!!!!!

Ladys and GEntlemen

Juan Matodan has left the building

Posted by: dc fan | September 27, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Telemundo is owned by NBC. Telefutura is owned by Univision. I love FIOS, but my one complaint is they don't carry Telefutura (channel 20 is Telemundo).

Momo's on U St is showing the game: http://www.momosdc.com/

Posted by: FC | September 27, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

22203 Represent! Hey tik sounds like you got the nice cable package and the desire to watch some football once in awhile.

I got Telefutura...Do you live in my neighborhood?

Posted by: dadryan | September 28, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

actually looks like tlk. Holla.

Posted by: dadryan | September 28, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Well it is Sunday morning, Goff has gone missing and neither Beasley or Edu has made the bench for the Ranger's game. What is going on with our best players trying to make it in Europe?

Posted by: Beckster | September 28, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

First, everyone should understand that Univision, Galavision, Telemundo, and Telefutura are four different channels.

Second, the second page of the Arlington/Alexandria edition of the WP TV section says that Telefutura is available on the following channels for each provider: Comcast, 15; DirecTV, 47; Dish, 271; Verizon FIOS, not. It also gives this number for Verizon FIOS if you need clarification: 888-553-1555.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 28, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Jeff | September 28, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm sitting here trying to figure out which college games I can follow via gametracker. Here's are a few matches of local interest:

Men: Georgetown at Villanova; South Florida at WVU.

Women: Maryland at North Carolina; Virginia at Miami; Virginia Tech at Florida State; Rutgers at Georgetown; VCU at George Mason; Syracuse at WVU.

Does anyone know of others?

Posted by: The Jeff | September 28, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Better not mock Colorado too much. Not only are they playing much better than they have all season, but chances are pretty good they are going to make the playoffs and DC is not.

Also, since when is having a big-name player of ANY value whatsoever? DC and LA have shown that.

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 28, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse