United Injury Update

Midfielder-forward Santino Quaranta (bruised shin/ankle) said he hopes to play Sunday at Dallas. "It's a lot better," he said. He is able to run just fine, but "every time it gets touched, it's so tender."

Midfielder Joe Vide (hamstring) has been upgraded to probable, but considering he has not played in a while, he probably won't see major minutes. However, Tom Soehn said he is encouraged by Vide's progress

Forward Jaime Moreno (knee) trained today, and after skipping the last two matches, should be ready to return. He is officially listed as probable. Moreno said he is on Bolivia's preliminary roster for the Oct. 11 World Cup qualifier against Peru and the Oct. 14 match vs. Uruguay, but it remains unclear whether he'll join the squad. United has games on Oct. 9, 12 and 16.

United will be without defender Marc Burch, serving a red card suspension.

Midfielder Marcelo Gallardo is scheduled to return to Washington on Sunday, Soehn said. His status for Wednesday vs. Cruz Azul will be determined closer to gametime.

Quaranta, on the MLS-Champions League shuffle: "One day you are worried about MLS and the next day you are totally focused on this CONCACAF. You are switching back and forth. We have to focus on one thing, I think, at this point now. Realistically, are we going to get out of our group in CONCACAF? I don't know. I would say no. The odds are against us. So right now we really try to focus on this playoff run here."

By Steve Goff  |  September 26, 2008; 1:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Minutes With Ben Olsen
Next: Soehn's Approach

Comments

That's the attitude 'Tino!!!

We'd hate for you to be confused for a professional footballer..........

Posted by: Steve | September 26, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

One stinking game at a time. Do you think Lance Armstrong worries about stage 11 of the Tour De France when he's trying to win stage 9? I'm taking a page out of Michael's new playbook on The Office and in reference to what Tino said about his ankle, I just won't say it.

Posted by: dadryan | September 26, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

No one suffering lingering aftereffects (read: injuries) from the match Wednesday? Things might be looking up.

Posted by: Section 130 | September 26, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadryan | September 26, 2008 1:34 PM

All Lance worries about is whether or not he'll be caught doping.

Posted by: Greg Lemond | September 26, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

DC has almost no chance in this CONCACAF thing. With the injuries and schedule and the desperate playoff situation, Santino is absolutely right. Even at full strength, DCU ain't going to advance in the CL.

Posted by: Reality | September 26, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like we may have an A-team back on the pitch. Any update on Gallardo?

Posted by: rke | September 26, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update!!!!

Posted by: kristin | September 26, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

And now for something completely different: this poem by Big Soccer's Dan Loney about Tim Leiweke. Truer words have rarely been written:

This morning when Timmy arrived at his job,
He was met by a furious torch-waving mob.
"You stuck us with Sampson! You gave us Alexi!
You hired that guy who thought football was sexy!
We're still in last place! The Galaxy stink!
Resign from your post! Yes, that's what we think!"

Tim raised his hands and said, "What can I do?
I'm mad as well, just as angry as you.
I went to the team and said, start playing better!
But the coach handed me a go-sex-yourself letter.
I did bring us Beckham, I did bring us Landon.
This lack of success wasn't something I planned on.
But I have the solution to keep us from reeking.
Take the old DP rule, and just give it a tweaking.
The salary cap is what's holding us back.
Free up some space and we'll soon be on track."

Just then spoke a man who arrived from Columbus
"Don't listen to him! He's just trying to numb us!
He'll cover his ass and he'll try to save face,
He just wants to change rules since he's stuck in last place!
He brought in Dominguez! He brought in Pires!
Why should we care what this idiot says?
We're not DC or Dallas, and we're not Kansas City.
To win, don't spend money on players who are ______.
Where I come from, our team has a motto,
Who needs a DP? We have Barros Schelotto!
You suck. And you're stuck. And you're ____ out of luck.
So go roll a donut, and take a flying ____."

But Timmy just shrugged and then quietly answered,
"This is Dr. Seuss cadence. Your lines have been censored.
As for you, fans, with your pitchforks and pickets,
We have two more home games, so you'd better buy tickets.
Our team is so bad, but we sell out each night.
Logically, then, I am doing things right."
And the crowd was left helpless and sad and frustrated
As they bought Beckham jerseys and then dissipated.
Timmy relaxed, he thought this was so funny.
He's not here to make friends.
He's just here to make money.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | September 26, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

So we have 4 games left right? I say we forget about the CCL and grab that last playoff spot. We got to win prob 3 out of the next 4 to claim it. We can do it. I am positive everyone will be healthy and fit by playoff time - but we gotta make it in first.

Posted by: Anthony The Great | September 26, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Call me wishful, fanciful, out of touch with reality or on crack but I still have hope for United in CONCACAF. Marithon could get a result at Saprissa. We could beat Cruz Azul, that would put us in the hunt. Right? VAMOS UNITED

Posted by: Harpo | September 26, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh Greggy pooh your just jealous of my palmeras, Dr. Catlin will assure everyone that I'm clean as a whistle when I snatch my 8th Tour next summer. You could always come out of retirement too...

Posted by: Lance Armstrong | September 26, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"every time it gets touched, it's so tender"

Was this quote from Santino the artist formerly known as Prince?

I’m surprised the Post allows you to write such filth.

Posted by: Concerned Mother | September 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone watch the pre-game show on ESPN 2 last night? What was going on with Rob Stone? He seemed drunk or stoned.. or both.

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Dallas dominated Chicago on the road last Sunday. They won 4-1 and only McBride's meaningless stoppage time goal saved a tiny bit of pride for Chicago.

Rocha was good delivering set plays for the first 2 goals so our defense will have to man mark tightly if we give up free kicks.

Dallas' other 2 goals were very direct counterattacks. One started with Sala catching a Thorrington corner kick and, about 3 touches later, Guarda was volleying in a far post cross from Cunningham. There final goal came when via Route 1 as Cunningham onto a 60-yard pass and easily left a slow defender (attention McTavish, Namoff, Peralta and Simms!) in the dust to beat Jon Busch 1-v-1.

Having Jaime and Tino available Sunday should help us possess the ball more but, in addition to Cooper, we gotta watch their set plays and counterattacks.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 26, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Can't we at least pretend that the team can walk and chew gum at the same time? Why bother to qualify for the CCL if some players allude to a half-hearted effort when they get there? DCU must win next Wednesday's game to have any reasonable chance of getting out of the group stage. If they don't get three points, then it's understandable to focus solely on the MLS playoffs. Until then, why did they bother to enter the CCL - to draw 6,000 per home game? That won't even keep the lights on. Come to think of it, 20,000 fans are no guarantee the lights will stay on at RFK.

Posted by: BillyBob | September 26, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@Concerned Mother:

Man, that is some funny, funny stuff. Thanks for the laughs.

Posted by: Matte | September 26, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm torn on Tino's comments. On one side, i think it is a shame for them to think that, and to say it aloud. on the other hand, I commend him as well for his honesty and coming out and saying what a lot of people already think.

looking at the lineups Soehn has been forced to field, there really is no doubt we are done in the CCL this year. If we get win in the next game, then maybe I'll change my tune.

Posted by: steve-o | September 26, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem with Tino speaking his mind. But he's going to get ripped by his coach for saying something like that to the media.

Posted by: Matte | September 26, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for speaking the truth Tino. But we should have given up on the Champions League 2 games ago.

Posted by: Hon | September 26, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Incredible! 68% of voters said United would lose, or lose badly in Honduras and people are wondering why Tino would make such comments... Not to mention the criticism that is spewed at these guys, in the Aftermath threads. I'm guilty of the criticism but I'm certainly not guilty of saying I'm giving up on this team for anything, be it fixture congestion, stadium location, front office flaccidity, or player's opinions on how rough a season it's been.
They've got my support, and my suspension of disbelief till the fat lady sings and everyone heads home.

Posted by: dadryan | September 26, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Bone head comments by Tino. A player should only focus on playing his best whenever the coach puts him on the field. Period.

DC United need to focus on winning one game-- The next one.

It's an honor to represent this league in international play. Respectable performance in these competitions enhance the reputation of MLS and makes it easier to recruit quality players in the future.

No excuses, but it is unfortunate that DCU has been plagued by injuries and now can't cope with the congested schedule.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 26, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

The reason so many of us figured United would lose in Honduras is because we knew what a weak lineup Soehn was going to run out.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 26, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

did you miss the part about suspension of disbelief AlecW81? Gotta admit that NO ONE had any idea Quaranta was going to be out of that game until BTB spilled the beans an hour before they kicked off. If Quaranta had started that game I think our chances would have been better, in fact I may have kicked the bucket and voted lose too, if I'd known RD was going to be the starter.
I just don't understand the mindset of verbalizing your belief that your team will fail before they've even tried, that's a LOSERS attitude.

Posted by: dadryan | September 26, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse