United Roster Status

Here's what I know:

*South African forward Tabiso "Boyzzz" Khumalo (USL2 Pittsburgh) appears slated to take United's final senior roster slot, which will become available when midfielder Domenic Mediate is placed on the season-ending injury list. Khumalo is 27 and not eligible for developmental status.

*The last developmental slot will go to a mystery foreign player under age 25. As far as I can tell, he is not from Latin America, the region United usually targets. Given the recent MLS trend, Africa is my guess.

By Steve Goff  |  September 9, 2008; 2:56 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olsen Sidelined Again
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Let see what these boys can do for us

sucks for Olsen, he needs to rest and recover!
they should put him on season-injury list. All the hope for nothing!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 9, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

usl2? Senior roster spot? is the FO that desperate>?

Posted by: 135 | September 9, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I heard it was Mejia from Honduras, any one know anything other than Goff,
hahaha.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 9, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

So, is there any chance the team can sign either of these players in time to have them available for Saturday's match against Dallas?

Posted by: TCompton | September 9, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Could be the "other" Nyassi?

Posted by: RK | September 9, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Possibly a mysterious and little-heard of player from Alaska?

Possibly this player would have a short track record but great public speaking skills?

It's worked for others...

Posted by: Donnie You're Out of Your Element | September 9, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

DCU has very little room available under the salary cap. A top USL player is about all they can afford at this point.

Posted by: Goff | September 9, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@RK: Sanna Naissey has already been picked up by the Sounders...I hear Henry is next:-)
What kind of nickname is Boyyyzzz? That's lamer than Cherry...

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I would guess that the Gambian-to-MLS train lands in DC since NE, New York, Seattle all have signed players from there within the past year and LA is also trialing at least one of them.

Posted by: Oliver | September 9, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Does Goff allow us to post to wikipedia? If so, here is the Khumalo link (some spellings add an "h" to his first name):

Posted by: Dsmac | September 9, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

This is not the same guy as "Doctor" Khumalo who played for the Crew 10 years ago, right? Right?

Posted by: New England Guy | September 9, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

Totally off-topic, but as a legal visitor to Cuba, did you get your passport stamped or no?

Posted by: Ben | September 9, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Cuba does not stamp USA passports.

Posted by: Goff | September 9, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I must inquire, what kind of a nickname is "Boyzzz"? Did he fall asleep while thinking of a nickname?

Posted by: bob | September 9, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. I think it was Wahl's blog that made it sound optional.

Posted by: Ben | September 9, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Flava Flav gave him that nickname.

Posted by: RK | September 9, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Answering my own rhetorical question: No.

Posted by: New England Guy | September 9, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

we finally have a player whose very own name answers the perennial question:

"What's the status on DC United's new stadium?"

a: tabiso boyZZZ khumalo

Posted by: diego r. | September 9, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

BOYZZ >>> ENANO (Niell)

Posted by: delantero | September 9, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anthony | September 9, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted this in the wrong space. Is M'Buta of Cameroon the other guy they are looking at?

Posted by: noname | September 9, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

D'you remember several months ago when there was a question about DC United's new stadium in every Insider post?

How long until that starts again?

Zzzzzzzzz

Posted by: TCompton | September 9, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

When will DCU get their new stadium at Poplar Point?

Posted by: Stadium? | September 9, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ | September 9, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Remind me what is Joe Vide's roster status? If he's still developmental, why not bump him up to senior roster slot? He's been worth a senior slot thus far.

Posted by: SSMD | September 9, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Why a USL2 player gets that Senior Roster spot over Joe Vide, who's done nothing but play hard since he came here, is beyond me.

Posted by: Section 130 | September 9, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I would say the USL player gets the Senior roster spot over Vide because the USL player is over age 25 and Vide is not.

The better question still is why Dyachenko gets a Senior roster spot ahead of Vide.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 9, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I just want everyone healthy again

Posted by: Josh | September 9, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Vide was demoted mid-season to developmental.

Posted by: RK | September 9, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

the latest I heard on the stadium was that the DCU FO is still hoping for Poplar Point but there has been no movement. I guess there has been an attempt to get Congress to start pushing DC a bit, but nothing definitive for now. Apparently the Maryland stadium authority is ready to start digging and is just waiting for the green light from DCU. But I guess the club is worried about losing too many VA fans in the process.

Posted by: Glenn | September 9, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

But I guess the club is worried about losing too many VA fans in the process.

Posted by: Glenn | September 9, 2008 5:25 PM
=========

What's not to love about the future Greenbelt stadium? Clean beer taps, hot ant cold running water in the restrooms, convenient concession stands with cash registers that take credit cards, and a memorial garden where you can scatter the ashes of your dearly departed.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 9, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the shirt sponsor?

Posted by: season's over | September 9, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

How about the 09 3rd Jersey for use in CCL matches?
Put down your deposit now on BTB for your Niche in the DCU Supporters columbarium.

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noname | September 9, 2008 4:33 PM
------------

If you're referring to Crystal Palace Baltimore's Mbuta, I'm afraid he's been in the clutches of the Red Bulls for the past few weeks.

Posted by: Goose | September 9, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the shirt sponsor?

Posted by: season's over | September 9, 2008 5:49 PM
_____________________________________________

Yeah, they just posted a modest 2.9% increase in sales for August 2008, selling 22,292 automobiles.

Posted by: Ed | September 9, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Can we see the 09 third jersey for CCL play yet?

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Getting your passport stamped is optional. However, you have to ask them to stamp it. They automatically do not stamp U.S. passports. If you do get it stamped you would have to carry around a sheet of paper proving that you went to Cuba legally every time you used you passport and even then there could be complications.

Posted by: Kinney | September 9, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Like TheWashDipsSince88 said, I heard the mystery player is Carlos Will Mejia from Marathon in Honduras.

Posted by: andrew | September 9, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Mejia played this past weekend with Marathon which he just joined in late July after the DCU rumors about him circulated. Why would Kasper and Company let him play over the weekend and risk injury if a deal was already in place for him? Doesn't make sense to me but it might to a rumor-posting site that does not check its facts before posting.

Posted by: ESPN Deportes | September 9, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Donnie You're Out of Your Element, if I could rep you on this blog I would...

Posted by: seahawkdad | September 9, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

John Ourand in Sports Business Daily reports that the Nationals' ratings on MASN, which have been the lowest in baseball by far all season, pulled one of its lowest figures of the season last Thursday, when the team's game against the Braves ran opposite the Redskins' season opener on NBC. The 9/4 Nats game pulled a 0.26 rating/6,000 households.

Posted by: RK | September 9, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

dadryan:

What's this 3rd jersey business?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 9, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

.....I wonder if we are going to pickup the cuts from the LA Galaxy who had a few Gambians/Liberians......

When I first read this, I thought you wrote lesbians. It peaked my interest since I think anyone can play better than DC's current starting 11, but that would be going a bit far to fill the empty seats at RFK

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the new trialist isn't from Alaska but is an unproven celebrity that can read from a script but would struggle with live questions he has to answer at the halftime break from the CSN crew, but he could get like a former soccer player to give an intro press conference speech on his behalf, maybe that guy could be Bill..um, Bill...nevermind his name....then after the new guy gets on our roster he'll F everything up and the commentors on the Insider would be pointing fingers and asking who signed this guy???

Posted by: Big J | September 9, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I'm bored and need something to read and think about. Got Anything for me???

Posted by: k | September 9, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Cameroon's (and Crystal Palace Baltimore's) Mathew Mbuta is still an option insofar as he remains a guest (unsigned) player on the reserves of the Red Bulls. Mbuta qualifies for a developmental slot and fills multiple needs for the team as a winger with pace and touch and, when necessary, a striker with the ability to convert open opportunities. Although United may have had Mbuta in for pre-season camp (thanks for that information Comcast), Mbuta had a tremendous season with CP Baltimore. And before mocking DC United for giving an opportunity to a USL2 player, it would probably help to actually watch a game at that level -- one of the other wingers for CP, Val Teixeira, is currently on trial with Crystal Palace in the Coca Cola Championship. United could do much worse.

Posted by: CP Baltimore | September 9, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chest if we're gonna call it Champions League we might as well act like it is.
I was just jumping on the rampant rumors bandwagon, and throwing in my bid for the Burgundy and Gold DCU jersey for use in CCL Play!
I may have played a little too much FIFA Soccer 07 in my time...:-)

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Unless the mystery international player is a US college product, the smart money says that overseas-based international players who would come to MLS on a developmental deal are likely an African as Senor Goff noted (Mansailly & Nyassi - NE, Touray - NY, Somma - SJ) but SJ has signed some lower division Euros to developmental deals (Arce - Spain, Ghebru - Germany) and NY recently signed Jimeniz (Mexico).

Posted by: GOL TV | September 9, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Kasper's comment that they have a "surprise" young international signing almost makes it sounds like there is some Kevin Bacon-like degree of separation for this player and DCU - why else would a developmental player be a surprise. Perhaps, DCU tapped the Bolivian market for a young player in hopes for some Moreno/Etcheverry magic that perhaps Etch discovered in his travels - either that link or some family link to an existing player.

Posted by: Fox Sports Espanol | September 9, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

You will never hear me speak nor see me type the words "Coca Cola Championship"...OR Barclay's Premier League, for that matter.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 9, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

...unless I'm making fun...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 9, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Excluding, of course, when you are talking about how you will never say the aforementioned words...

Posted by: Godalfree | September 9, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Kasper saying a suprise player.....If i heard right while watching Montreal vs Minnesota Thunder on FSC I thought the announcer refered to a player as Jamie Moreno's cousin or nephew????

would that qualify as a Kevin Bacon-like degree of separation ?

Posted by: Piney O | September 9, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Jaime's cousin, Pato Aguilera, has guested in the reserves with DC before I believe and is somewhat of a known quantity, having played in MLS years ago. I doubt he's the surprise.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | September 9, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

3rd jersey! 3rd jersey! 3rd jersey!

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godalfree | September 9, 2008 11:01 PM

Not at all. When I say that I will never speak or type the words "Coca Cola Championship" or "Barclay's Premier League," I mean it. NO exceptions.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 9, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

A surprise foreign development signing?

...Must be from Argentina. We never sign Argentines.

Posted by: B.A. | September 10, 2008 6:50 AM | Report abuse

good morning!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

You need Flavor Flav on an endless loop...

"Yeah, Boyzzzzzzzz!!!"

Posted by: Shmenge | September 10, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Forbes' article on MLS valuations was rather enlightening. When does the VW Arena open to juice up the value for DC?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 10, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I would like to play with my cousin Jaime Moreno but I am too old for a developmental roster spot.

Posted by: Pato Aguilera | September 10, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Scuttlebutt around the african youth soccer coaches in the area is that the mystery player is a defender from Sierra Leon that Patrick McCabe is bringing. I'd take that with a huge helping of salt, not just a grain, but who knows.

Posted by: soyinocente | September 10, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Forbes article on MLS valuations is great. MLS tries to hide all of the details about their finances. This is the first time I have seen such detailed information.

#1 Galaxy $100 million

#2 Toronto $44 million

#6 DCU $35 million

Posted by: GoldenChild | September 10, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

When will DCU get their new stadium at Poplar Point?
-----
Fenty and DC Counsels are flushing out this idea every day into the toilet.

Posted by: td | September 10, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Does someone have the URL for the Forbes article?

Posted by: The Jeff | September 10, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse