USA Lineup?

Team USA is in Chicago preparing for Wednesday's qualifier against T&T at Toyota Park. The 20-man roster remains the same. That said, what changes would you like to see Coach Bob Bradley make to his starting lineup? Cherundolo for Hejduk? Clark for Edu or Bradley? Lewis for Beasley or Pearce?

As a refresher, here are your options:

GKs: Howard, Guzan.
Ds: Bocanegra, Onyewu, Pearce, Hejduk, Cherundolo, Califf, Wynne, Orozco.
MFs: Dempsey, Beasley, Lewis, Bradley, Edu, Clark, Kljestan.
Fs: Donovan, Ching, Johnson.

By Steve Goff  |  September 8, 2008; 3:05 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Updates
Next: Qualifying Continued

Comments

"Factoid, courtesy of the USSF: Since losing to Honduras at RFK in September 2001, the U.S. team is 37-0-10 at home vs. CONCACAF opponents in all competitions, including 8-0-2 against Mexico. The scoring margin is 106-15."

Way to jinx it, Goff!

Posted by: Pes-o-mist | September 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

If Bob could ever be convinced to play one d-mid instead of two, I'd like to see Dempsey or Klejstan in the attacking mid spot, behind Donovan and Ching.

Posted by: jrnail23 | September 8, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't mind seeing something like jrnail23 just mentioned.
Over all with 6 points secured already I would like to see something a little more adventurous like Orozco , and Klejstan starting.
Maybe they can score a couple goals and then the old farts can get subbed in and bunker. No offense really to Lewis... NO EJ!

Posted by: dadryan | September 8, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd go with something like this:

F - Ching & Johnson
ACMF - Donovan
LMF - Beasley
RMF - Dempsey
DMid - Clark
D - Bocanegra, Onyewu, Pearce, and Cherundolo
G - Howard

Posted by: James | September 8, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Why not get Clark on the field WITH Bradley and Edu? Can't have too many d-mids.

Posted by: Ben | September 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Is sending Johnson home a choice?

Posted by: Kim | September 8, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Is sending Johnson home a choice?

Posted by: Kim | September 8, 2008 3:45 PM

------------------------------------

Sure. Just as soon as somebody gets a hold of and destroys all copies of whatever photos he's using to blackmail Bob Bradley.

Posted by: Kenobi | September 8, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

i'd like to see Beasley moved back into one of the D-mid/more of a traditional midfield role with Bradley jr. (can he ever play 90 minutes w/o getting booked) on the bench and Freddy taking Beasley's LMF/attacking MF role - oh wait, Freddy's not on the roster - give anyone but Eddie Lewis or Eddie Johnson a chance instead...

Posted by: Peter | September 8, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Drop Hejduk and Edu. Add Cherundolo and either Clark or Kljestan. Otherwise, same lineup as Cuba game.

Posted by: SSMD | September 8, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenobi | September 8, 2008 3:49 PM

------------------------------------------

Wow, that's original. I've never heard that one before. Well done, Shecky.

I'd rather have Jozy than EJ, but the old "blackmail photos" line is weak. If we expect the MNT to step up to their A game, we should do the same in our criticism of them.

Posted by: Funnyman | September 8, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

How about playing 3-6-1 with Chad Deering and Brian Maissoneuve as d-mids?

Posted by: Steve Sampson | September 8, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Its not so much as who I'd like to see play, but rather who I don't want on the pitch...

Eddie Johnson lacks the mental toughness and the "touch" to compliment his speed. In the beginning, he looked strong, but in the past years (including his time with KC) he has not lived up to his potential. I will admit that he can outrun many players, but what he does with the ball in the box lacks creativity and finishing.

You could easily replace his "type" of performance with Justin Braun (CD CHIVAS USA). Justin holds down the long ball, fights hard for every inch, and has at slightly better creativity/finishing than EJ... but with one greater advantage - he's younger and has more potential to become the type of striker that the USMNT needs IMHO.

Posted by: PocketKings | September 8, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Someone is comparing Eddie Johnson with Justin Braun? Wow, wow, wow

I'm no fan of EJ, but that's just ridiculous on so many levels.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Id like to see this

Fdw: Ching
SS/free role: Dempsey
LM: Kljestan
RM: Donovan
CM: Clark and Bradly
Backline-left to right

Beas-Boca-Onyewu-Dolo

Posted by: XioPik | September 8, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

putting Kljestan left and having beas as the left back gives us speed and creativity up that wing. also having the hardworking DM clark besides bradly should free bradly up to go forward somemore....what do you all think>?

Posted by: XioPik | September 8, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Sampson -- how about BB's dream team?

GK: B. Arena
B: R. Mulrooney - G. Berhalter - M. Edu - R. Corrales
M: B. Mais - R. Williams - M. BRADLEY - R. Clark
F: T. Sanneh - J. Marsch

Posted by: sonofabob | September 8, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Justin Braun? Who? You are either a Chivas fan or watch entirely too much soccer.

Posted by: RK | September 8, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Howard

Wynne Bocanegra Onyewu Pearce

Edu

Dempsey Bradley Kljestan

Donovan Ching

Posted by: Old Colt | September 8, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I concur. Justin Braun actually would be a good choice to replace EJ.

Posted by: sc | September 8, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

first change I want to see is Bob Bradley dissapear.
second change I want to see is US players play with movement, speed, one touch passes and shoot from distance. Can't do it? just learn and practice HARD. Tired of displaying boring and dry.

Posted by: td | September 8, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Should we cross-post all responses to LaCanfora's blog? :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 8, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Since i'll be out there and these are the 20 guys we have to choose from I want to see this:

Howard or Guzan

Wynne Bocanegra Onyewu Cherundolo

Dempsey Edu Bradley Beasley

Donovan Ching

Subs: Kljestan (Beasley), Hejduk (Wynne), Orozco (Cherundolo)

Welcome back to Chicago - BB, DMB, Boca and Guzan!

Posted by: Gilly73 | September 8, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I agree with KIM

Posted by: dc fan | September 8, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Justin braun is a beast compared to EJ, at least braun creates chances, he might miss it but he creates chances, EJ just sees a defender and runs..

Posted by: dc fan | September 8, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

If one can extrapolate from the Trinidad-El Salvador match last month (caveat: T&T lacked their Euro-based players in that match), I would say (the obvious) that T&T will play a counter-attacking game. Their back four is well organized, but the midfield is likely to turnover the ball when pressured. A flowing US game through the midfield (begin laughing now) will put them on their heels. ES kept the pressure on them in the first half and got the tying goal from a well-placed free kick, but suffered after the 2nd half brawl and red cards.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 8, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

At least Braun has a soccer brain...all EJ has is soccer brawn.

Posted by: pundexter | September 8, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

ANYBODY for Hejduk...think my mother may be up for it

Posted by: bcj | September 8, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Where are Altidore and Adu? Bob are you awake buddy? Brian Ching shouldn't even be on an MLS roster.

Posted by: Bruce Arena | September 8, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Can we send Kljestan, Johnson, Ching, Hejduk, and Clark home for new players?

Posted by: Ryan | September 8, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Jozy is training this week with Villarreal, just scored a hat trick against a 5th-division Spanish team in a 7-1 drubbing, and should play this Saturday as Guille Franco picked up an injury in training.

That's Nihat, Rossi, and GFranco out with injuries, leaving Jozy and Llorente as the healthy forwards.

Posted by: RK | September 8, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

isn't Bradley out with yellows?

if so...

Howard
Cherundolo, Boca, Gooch, Pearce
DMB, Sasha, Edu, Dempsey
Landy
Ching.

EJ can come in with wheels in the 65th if need be, Orozco, Califf and Hejduk will be needed against a CA team.

Rico joins MB out of uniform.

Posted by: northzax | September 8, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Bob - here's a memo for you. Let's go for something other than a 1-0 win. How about some quality soccer. There won't be any excuses for it this time if that's all you can pull off. Well, I suppose your own player selection could be your excuse even if it is a weak one.

Posted by: jake | September 8, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

northzax, I ignored it, hoping it would be deleted shortly.

Posted by: RK | September 8, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Is Justin Braun allowed in Gillette Stadium?

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 8, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Just a reminder.....

Please try to keep your comments tasteful. I've already deleted one classless posting.

I am able to access IP addresses and I really don't want to have to start blocking people from commenting here.

Thank you!

SG

Posted by: Goff | September 8, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Steve Sampson's post had me seriously laughing out loud.

How long will it take Darren Huckerby to gain US eligibility? Can we get an act of Congress?

But, seriously folks....

Mostly, I'd like to see US get faster against T&T, but with exceptions: Cherry in for Hedjuk, sacrificing speed for solid D. Having Clark in for Bradley would be a good move. Having EJ in for Ching would not be.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 8, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

My back line: Cherry, Boca, Gooch, Wynne

Mids: Dempsey, Edu, Clark, Beasley

Forwards: Donovan, Ching.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 8, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Cherry? Is that your own nickname for Cherundolo?

Kind of like I'm the only one that calls NYRB - Energie NY?

Posted by: RK | September 8, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

It's not my nickname for Cherundolo. It's his nickname -- what people who know him call him.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 8, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

If someone suggests something so ridiculous that your head explodes, can you sue them?

***

I don't expect any big changes. Bradley has shown time and again that he will take the option that displays the least risk. That isn't a criticism, just an observation based on watching him coach for years. Expect Cherundolo to replace Hejduk (unless Bradley has quietly put him in the doghouse for turning into an idiot in Guatemala). While I do expect us to create a few more chances (we're at home, and T&T is less likely to totally bunker a la Cuba or commit to the world's most cynical soccer like Guatemala), I have the nagging feeling that we are looking at another 1-0 win that leaves us asking "Is this the best we can do?"

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 8, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Chest: That's why I never come to this blog without protective headgear. Holds everything together in case of head explosion.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 8, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

You weren't talking about me, were you? ;-)

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 8, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Sit Beasely and Edu (sorry, Rangers!) Poor play should be punished just to keep team morale high (why play hard in practice when the same team takes the field match after match?)

Posted by: Hedbal | September 8, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Donovan - Ching
Beasley - Klejstan - Edu - Dempsey
Wynne - Bocanegra - Onyewu - Cherundolo
Howard

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | September 8, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Wheres Cooper?!?!?!?!

Posted by: The Jim | September 8, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Don't sit Beas! As if that Cuba game wasn't boring enough, can you imagine it without him? What are you gonna do, play Lewis? :)

Posted by: RK | September 8, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Ugh...slim pickins...but here goes:
Howard
Dolo Gouch Boca Lewis
Clark
Dempsey Beas
Bradley
Ching Donovan

At least we could go to one holding midfielder and try some attacking!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Howard
Cherundolo Gooch Bocanegra Pearce
Dempsey Bradley Donovan Beasley
Cooper Rossi

Posted by: It's not 2 late | September 8, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

-----------------Howard
----Dolo----Gooch------Boca------Pearce
------------------Edu
Dempsey---------Kljestan---------Beasley
----------Donovan
-----------------------Ching

Subs: Wynn Lewis and Clark

Posted by: Ant | September 8, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

It is too late for Rossi.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 8, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Bradley should not call Altidore in for any of these semi-final round games. Jozy needs to earn a place in Villareal. Its in the best interest of the national team for him to develop as a player in Europe. We don't need him for this round anyway. If he plays in Spain this fall we can bring him in next year for the hexagonal.

Posted by: Tony in DC | September 8, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Lewis and Clark? Daring explorers, but I wouldn't count on them as subs....

Posted by: Thomas Jefferson | September 8, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

It's never too late for Martini & Rossi

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Johann Smith is Shoulders and Head above Eddie johnson right now

Posted by: Willis Roberbon | September 8, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Oy vey -

I don't know if Bradley is stubborn or simply ignorant about his squad selection.

Why does Bradley Jr get a pass and play EVERY SINGLE GAME? He may be a decent player in Holland but on the international scene he seems to be getting tired and his passes are poor after halftime.

Posted by: kipster | September 8, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Worst episode EVER

Posted by: comic book guy | September 8, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Fisch Fry:

You're in the clear. Calling Cherundolo Cherry or naturalizing Huckerby are ideas I can get my head around. There's a logic that can be followed. Calling in Justin Braun makes about as much sense as calling in Eskandarian (who, now fit enough to play, starts over Braun at Chivas). I'm all for overzealous love of the players on your club, but I'm also all for the national team being comprised of our best players, not the guys I like the most.

***

I think what bothers me most about Bradley's tactics so far isn't his team selection. Out of the squad he called in, he's chosen the best XI (save Edu instead of Clark...Clark's long-range shooting would have been quite useful against Cuba's bunker). I can see why Altidore, Adu, and Cooper were left out (I disagree, but I can see why). The problems I have are with what the players are being allowed to do, and what the first focus is. The players are playing in a very constrictive system. The outside backs come forward fewer than 10 times a game between them, and a defensive midfielder is required to drop off when they do. We never take a risk of overloading the attack with even 1 extra player. Our central midfielders make virtually no attempt at getting into the box. It's essentially accepting that the attack won't work and being ready to defend even when we still have the ball. No wonder we struggle to score goals. We only let 4 people really attack, and our opponents defend with 8 or 9.

This team's focus is defending from the front. That is it's mission statement. The standard for measuring Ching's play, for example, has not been goals; it's been his ability to pressure defenders and make it hard for them to win the ball from him. Even in possession, his job is to defend the ball. I don't really blame Ching for the lack of goals in either game, because there's no real service and he's getting only a couple people to join him in attacking 2 blocks of 4.

I am really hoping that on Wednesday night we come out to beat T&T by scoring goals, rather than smothering them and scraping a single goal somewhere along the way. My attack-first instincts will be able to handle the current national team much better if we attack at home. I can unhappily live with defense-first away, but we really should come out against T&T looking to score goals (intentional use of the plural) in the first half. I don't mean hoping that chances fall our way; I mean manufacturing chances and finishing them. Why wait for T&T to hand us a goal when we're good enough to just take one?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 8, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for reminding me that the last Nats match I attended is also their last home loss. It was one heck of a match, however.

Posted by: Boulder, CO | September 8, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

After we sure up our spot lets see this!
----------------Guzan
Wynn----Califf------Demirt---Bornstein
Kljestan-----Bradely-------Holden
----------------Adu
-----------Altidore---Davies

Posted by: Richar A | September 9, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

we suck

but COOL...

we'll qualify for the next 6 World Cups!!!

I'm sorry but I am no longer interested in watching this poor excuse for soccer. We always seem to qualify but then we look like crap at the Cup (except for a game or two in Korea).

It's just boring. MLS reserves look better than we did against Cuba Gooding.

Posted by: optimist | September 9, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

never mind, censor me.
thanks for the rights.

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Sorry so breaking the rules here. I want to see
------- Howard----
Cherundolo,DeMerit,Orozco,
-------Edu------Boca
Lee Ngyuen, Adu, R.Rogers
----Cooper----Altidore---
Subs:
Donovan, Beasley, Guzan, Ch. Davies, Jer. white, Cl. Goodson, Szetela.

No more naturlizing players, no more requests for players who want to play for other countries. Take some pride in the country your from. Rossi, Subotic, and Torres if you want to play for some other country... go play in traffic. For those who think we can't develop world class forwards then why is Italy Naming Rossi to thier olympic squad. Bradley your your cynical approach to the game is way to english for my liking. A block of eight isn't necessary against anyone in this region of the world. If you hadn't sent a C squad to Copa America last year we would be oozing with confidence against any team in the world. Instead you play scared against everybody who is remotely able to pass gas. Sunil please tell me you aren't to keep this joker in charge of the team going into 2010. If you do, then you should be out.

Posted by: Just Saying | September 9, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Bob will never abandon the empty bucket, but I'd go with:

--------Timmay!---------
Dolo--Gooch--Boca--Pearce
---------Clark-----------
Dempsey--Kljestan--Beasley
-----Ching----Donovan-----

Dolo for Hejduk (I want Fankie fresh for the week-end, Crew fan here).

Bob goes with experienced hands for this one, after we win, then he can experiment with the rest of the hex.

DMB was awful, but needs the PT. Let Lewis go back and help the Gals this weekend.

EJ must not play.

No way Baby Bradley sits, he'll start for Clark.

Posted by: Jason | September 9, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

howard
dolo - gooch - boca - orozco
dempsey - mb - klesjan - dmb
donovan - altidore(ching)

Posted by: nyc | September 9, 2008 2:24 AM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------I'd go with something like this:

F - Ching & Johnson
ACMF - Donovan
LMF - Beasley
RMF - Dempsey
DMid - Clark
D - Bocanegra, Onyewu, Pearce, and Cherundolo
G - Howard

Posted by: James | September 8, 2008 3:41 PM

---------------------------------------

This is the best lineup.

Right now, I don't think both Bradley and Edu are good enough to play D-Mid at a higher International level. Sure, they are adequate against some of the lowly Concacaf teams, but if BB is serious about playing with the World soccer powers, he needs to replace M. Bradley or Edu as defensive midfielders. Some day hopefully they will be better, but not right now...

Posted by: Wild Blue Yonder | September 9, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

I really see no reason to play any forwards. Sampson was close with the 3-6-1 but Bob will perfect the 4-6-0 lineup and we can advance with 0-0 and 1-0 scorelines over the powers of CONCACAF. I say

Howard
Pearce Boca Gooch Stevie C
Beasley Edu Bradley Clark Donovan Dempsey

will be the lineup for Wednesday.

Posted by: Bora | September 9, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

well, since Bradley's going to play the entire 90 for every game we play while Bob's the coach, we only have 10 guys to figure out.

It isn't that I think Bradley's such a bad player, I just don't think he is good enough to play in more than a bring him on after your team is up by 1 or 2 and have him clog up the middle. Last I checked, the USMNT isn't getting up by two against anyone.

Posted by: Chimaera | September 9, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Some of you put out some really awful lineups.

Rico Clark over Edu or Bradley?
Kljestan over anyone?
Replacing Gooch and Bocanegra with anyone?

Do you guys watch anything but MLS games?

Posted by: Ryan | September 9, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree with "optimist:" we suck.

Well, maybe we don't suck, but we play some of the ugliest soccer I have ever seen against teams not even ranked in the top 100. It's almost unwatchable.

But, as long as we go to every World Cup from now on (and play 3-4 matches) and beat Mexico once a year (at home), the USSF will be happy.

We desperately need a changing of the guard. Get rid of Bob and Sunil.

Posted by: pessimist | September 9, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

well the home legs of qualifying should be much more enteraining. landon isn't really comfortable with playing in other countries, so he'll play better now. plus a field where the grass is cut shouldn't hurt either.

Posted by: mizage | September 9, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

If you had bags of urine being thrown at you, I doubt that you would be comfortable, either.

Posted by: RK | September 9, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

My biggest problem with Bradley isn't so much the lineup as it is the style of play. We play like a newly promoted team going to Old Trafford to play. We park the bus in front of goal and play a lone striker who is mainly just there to defend from the front. All too often Ching wins the ball in the air but it falls harmlessly to a defender because the nearest American is 20 yards behind him.

His lineups are easy to pick. It will be:
Howard
Cherundolo, Gooch, Boca, Pearce
Donovan, Bradley, Edu, Beasley
Dempsey
Ching

I think the solution that would work best for everyone is a 4-1-3-2. The usual back 4 with Edu as defensive mid. Donovan, Bradley and Beasley across midfield with Dempsey and Ching up front (I'm only going with the players that are on the roster now, obviously I would prefer Jozy and Adu to be in the mix). This lineup allows Bradley to get into more advanced positions similar to his position at Heerenveen. Even the Italians would find Bradley's American style Catenaccio to be overkill.

Posted by: Jared | September 9, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I just wanted to spread the word that approx 8,500 tickets have been sold for the T&T match. This means TP is going to be empty for our team and after grabbing maximum points on the road they deserve a much better reception.

This is not an international friendly; this is a WORLD CUP QUALIFIER. C'mon Chicago get your butts over to the stadium to support our boys! Might be the last time they come to Chicago with an attendance like that.

Sorry Goff but the marketing for this match has been poor and the team needs our support.

Posted by: Gilly73 | September 9, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Lee Ngyuen= Overrated~!

Posted by: Ross | September 9, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Wait...Wait...Woh...

When I suggested Justin Braun over Eddie Johnson, I was not implying that Justin was a finished product. I was trying to imply that Justin (right now, at 21) is roughly at the same place as Eddie (right now, at 24) and that Justin's advantage is that he can still be molded and be taught to break bad habits. That is my argument.

If you have watched any Chivas games that Justin has played it, you would have noticed that:
1. He's big
2. He's quick
3. He can hold the ball until the attack comes
4. He can take it to the wing and then move in on a diagonal to look for a cross or another player running in. If you look at EJ's game, he can do 1-3, but not 4.

Yes Braun is rough around the edges, and needs more work on finishing... but he isn't as emotionally fragile, and in my opinion, has more desire. This is a kid that was playing rec league in Salt Lake, and has played a significant part of Chivas while injuries have plagued the team.

Of course he rides the pine when Esky and Razov are healthy. And while you are at it, Esky finishes much better than EJ does, so why not call him up. Alecko has played one game for the United States national team, against Wales on May 27, 2003.

And as a matter of fact, not using Razov all these years has been a huge MNT mistake in my opinion.... 2nd leading scorer in MLS history?!? This is from Wikipedia:

Razov received his first cap with the U.S. national team on March 25, 1995 against Uruguay. Although he never played in the World Cup, he has scored a couple of key goals in qualifiers, including one against Guatemala in 2000 and Trinidad and Tobago in 2001. Overall, Razov has scored six goals in 25 caps for the US. Razov holds the distinction of being the last American soccer player to receive his first cap for the national team while still in college.

But hey, I'm just answering the question, "who would you like to see..."

So, IMHO, I would like to see what Justin Braun could accomplish at that level (since it looks like we are going to qualify).

Posted by: PocketKings | September 9, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Guzan
Wynne - Orozco - Bocanegra - Pearce
Donovon - Klijsten - Edu - Beasley
Dempsey - Ching

Give the young guys a shot to prove themselves so they can get some more playing time with their club sides.

Posted by: Patrick | September 9, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

in support of Justin braun, anyones better than eddie johnson, anyone.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse