Wambach to D.C., Solo to St. Louis

The new women's pro soccer league (WPS) will not announce its major U.S. player allocations until tomorrow at a news conference in New York, but word is beginning to circulate about where the top Americans are headed.

Sources tell the Insider that Abby Wambach, the high-scoring forward who missed the Olympics with a broken leg, will play for the Washington Freedom. She began her career in D.C. with the first version of the Freedom in the WUSA. Club officials declined to comment today.

I also hear that Hope Solo, the controversial goalkeeper who shut out Brazil in the Olympic gold medal game in Beijing, is going to St. Louis.

The Chicago Tribune is reporting that Carli Lloyd, whose goal beat the Brazilians, will play for the Chicago Red Stars.

I also expect Kristine Lilly and Angela Hucles to end up with Boston.

By Steve Goff  |  September 15, 2008; 4:28 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Soehn Speaks
Next: Night Moves

Comments

Maybe Wambach could put in a few minutes for United here and there? We could use a good finisher in the box.

Posted by: Target Forward | September 15, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see that the Freedom retained a marquee player. Hopefully others will be added.

Chicago Red Stars? Shouldn't it be Red Star Chicago? Commies!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 15, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Guess I'm a St. Louis fan now.

Posted by: Ed | September 15, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

DC should pursue Hope Solo. She is the best keeper in the women's football. If we can her and that Hawaiian hot chick with Wambach they should on their way to grab the trophy.

Posted by: solo want | September 15, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow!!!

I had to do a double take on that title.

Posted by: United fury | September 15, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

was hoping to support the DC team.

Now I can't

Posted by: vasco | September 15, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

BOXX to Los Angeles??!!

Posted by: Sammy Nishi | September 15, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Who is Heather Mitts going to play for?

Posted by: 12th man | September 15, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Does it matter?

The league will last 3-5 years and fold. It's been hard enough to sustain interest in MLS and keep it afloat, there is nothing to be gained from WPS.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 15, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Mitts' top choice was Los Angeles. I assume she will end up there.

Posted by: Goff | September 15, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Dang AlecW81, lighten up. If you *cant* say anything nice about WPS on a thread about it don't say anything at all.

Posted by: dadryan | September 15, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

well, I dunno. The W-league has been chugging away for a while now. As long as they keep expectations and budgets low they could last a long time.

Posted by: Glenn | September 15, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Boxx to L.A., I would think. Maybe Tarpley, too. (Her husband is assistant coach for UCLA's women). Whitehill? (Her husband is a doctor in L.A.)

Lopez to the Bay Area? What about Chastain? I figure she's going to try to play.

Chalupny definitely to St. Louis. O'Reilly to NY.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Osborne to Chicago makes sense. She lived there after Santa Clara, and it's close to home.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

It'd be nice if we could just bring them all back to Chapel Hill.

Just give me the UNC alumni against the rest of the league.

Posted by: Chris | September 15, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I would have kept this news under wraps til tomorrow.

Posted by: Hope Solo | September 15, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

The Bay Area franchise doesn't yet have a coach, does it? What sort of input are the owners getting on these decisions?

Posted by: The Jeff | September 15, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Whats to keep this new league from folding??

Posted by: shirteesdotnet | September 15, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

St Louis!!!!!!!!! DAMN

Posted by: Hope Solo | September 15, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

i too will be supporting St Louis

Posted by: justsaying | September 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I heard Carli Lloyd was going to Tottenham, but since she can actually score a goal, they had no use for her.

Posted by: AM | September 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

who cares?

Posted by: bestmick | September 15, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Solo's not controversial; she was right... If anything, she's Hot-troversial...

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 15, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

All the negativity is pretty tiresome. I don't follow the women's game as closely as some find it very entertaining when I do. Also nice that our folks are consistently challenging for world championships. Cups and olympics. Can't really ay the same for the boys, can we?

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 15, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Did Ives Galarcep just scoop Goffer on a DC United signing?

Posted by: Dave | September 15, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm a bit surprized about Wambach--I thought she had a house on the beach in California. And Hucles is semi-local.

Here's the plus about Wambach--while you'd hate for her to be surrounded by mediocre talent, she is capable of carrying a team. She doesn't require good setup, she handles lack of space well, she's a physical force at the women's level (especially at a club level). Now, if she could be paired with someone like Christianne or O'Reilly (ie: someone who can create and also dish the ball off), plus the foundation the Freedom have already laid, they could be quite good--a real handful.

Posted by: JoeW | September 15, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I really wonder why the persistent critics of women's soccer - critics is too kind a word for them because it implies a basis for their negativity, let's call them complainers - I wonder why they don't hold MLS up to the same microscope and complain about how bad and boring this league is compared to EPL, La Liga, Serie A, whatever; how Americans can't play football, futbol, calcio, whatever; and then say MLS doomed to failure.

To the complainers: I hope (for their sake) that you don't have daughters.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 15, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Spoken like a father I-270, Exit 1 wether you have daughters yourself or not.

Also to the complainers: If it wasn't for all these beautiful women in the world none of your superstar metrosexual soccer gods would exist. Stop acting so insecure you football fans.

Posted by: dadryan | September 15, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

dang - hope is hot would have love to seen her every weekend...

Posted by: Han | September 15, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

The Freedom better play topless if they want to attact any crowds.

Posted by: Hank | September 15, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, if we end up with Solo and Lori Chalupny... Our back is going to be amazing. I'm speechless. :) YEAH!!! It'll be a good day for STL if that happens. Watch me crying tomorrow.. ha.

Posted by: Liz from STL | September 15, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

@dadryan

To answer your question, two sons, no daughters. But I feel sorry for any girl whose father is too narrow minded to see the value in women's sports.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 15, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Great news! When will we have more info about the league, schedules and venues?

Posted by: bobbyrio | September 16, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Natasha Kei, where is she? Please she needs to play for DC!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

This has nothing to do with sexism, I flat out find women's soccer boring. It's slow and has all the technicality of decent HS Boys soccer (with less talented goalkeepers).

Honestly, what's the point of having a league with low expectations? I don't have low expectations for MLS, and I doubt it's investors and most fans do either. While it's average crowds of 15-18k seem low in comparison to the NFL and MLB (which have 75-120 year histories) it's comparable with the other "Major" soccer leagues around the World.

The fact is, Women's TEAM sports, don't make money. There are probably 1 or 2 exceptions to this "rule", UTenn Women's Basketball for instance, but in 99.9% of cases, they hemorrhage money worse than MLS clubs without their own stadia.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Times could change with SLOW growth, I honestly think MLS may have already overextended themselves as it is. THERE WILL BE A RE-URBANIZATION of America and the Suburban parks will suffer.
The writing has long been on the wall.
@ AlecW81, honestly I do understand where you are coming from, but from the view point of a vast majority of the folks who are HUGE supporters of the NFL and MLB(which have long histories, and traditions as you pointed out)think that Soccer is A F*^&%ng joke.
Things have changed a bit in the last 13 or so years, and honestly I am a product of that.
I know they aren't team sports but you've got to admit that skateboarding and bmx has come a long way in the last 20 years, thanks in part to incredible progression and marketing of the sports. I see a whole heck of a lot of impressionable young people at DCU games, and I'd like to believe with a little encouragement and a little less criticism from people who could just keep their mouths shut and ignore it, the sky could be the limit.
If you find it boring, go on and ignore it, cuz you just sound like a jerk going on and on about how you don't like women's soccer. Didn't your mother ever tell you that if you didn't have anything nice to say to just keep quiet?
No big offense really AlecW81, you generally have a lot of good insight into most of this garbage, but like I-270 said god forbid you ever have a daughter.
@I-270: With any luck your boys will grow up, stand up dudes like yourself brother.

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

i hate hope solo. i can't believe she'll be playing under jorge barcellos. i just can't get past the olympics to find myself rooting for her. its a horrible feeling. she is very pretty though and tough. but dammit I wanted Brazil to take the gold!!

Posted by: ugh | September 16, 2008 2:23 AM | Report abuse

Thanks dadryan. Your daughter has a supportive father. Keep it up and, when she grows up, she will stand up for herself against the jerks of this world. There's a lot more to women's sports than on-the-field play. It'soo bad that others don't recognize that.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 16, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Hank- that was uncalled for. Don't watch if you don't enjoy but why be a sexist pig? There are plenty of girls and women who dream of playing ball at the highest level available to them on a regular basis, and work their (clothed) butts off to make it happen- do you begrudge them the chance to live their dream unless they lack clothing? Grow up.

Posted by: Mezz47 | September 16, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse