WPS Allocation List

The following players from the U.S. women's national team player pool have been allocated to the seven inaugural clubs in Women's Professional Soccer.....

Boston Breakers: MF-F Kristine Lilly, MF-F Angela Hucles, D Heather Mitts.
Chicago Red Stars: MF Carli Lloyd, D Kate Markgraf, MF Lindsay Tarpley.
Los Angeles: MF Shannon Boxx, D Stephanie Cox, MF Aly Wagner.
New Jersey Sky Blue FC: MF-F Heather O'Reilly, F Natasha Kai, D Christie Rampone.
San Jose/S.F.: MF Leslie Osborne, D Rachel Buehler, GK Nicole Barnhart.
St. Louis: GK Hope Solo, D-MF Lori Chalupny, D Tina Ellertson.
Washington Freedom: F Abby Wambach, D Cat Whitehill, D Ali Krieger.

A draft to determine rights to international players will take place next week; the clubs will then attempt to reach contract agreements with stars such as Marta. Additional U.S., foreign and college dispersal procedures will take place over the next several months.

By Steve Goff  |  September 16, 2008; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Matchnight: DCU-Saprissa

Comments

Color me Sky Blue.

Posted by: Mastodon OWNTF | September 16, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Repeated from a previous thread:

Now it's time to make a list of who got left out: Scurry, for starters.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Man, I was really hoping DC would somehow get Natasha Kai.

Posted by: Mark | September 16, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Kai is awesome, any chick who can pull off a sleeve is pretty hot, too bad for us guys she plays for the "other" team.
I hope she does well.

Guess i'll be a Boston or Chicago fan

Posted by: Mitts fan | September 16, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I hope I can get signed by the St. Louis team.

Posted by: Brianna Scurry | September 16, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I want to care. I really do. Just can't.

Posted by: ABT | September 16, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I think "Sky Brown" is be a more suitable name for a team based in New Jersey.

Posted by: KC | September 16, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I want to care. I really do. Just can't.

Posted by: ABT | September 16, 2008 1:39 PM
...........................................

I don't care about the item from the Congo in Goff's previous thread, either. So what?

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

We got Heather Mitts !!!

I'm buying my season tickets today!!

Cannot wait until they play a game in the rain and Heather gets wet!!

Posted by: George | September 16, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

George...you got issues!

After the allocations the WPS website was down for a short bit, talk about marketing "pull the plug for 3 minutes, lets make it look like we are getting a crazy amount of web hits"

But I'm hoping they succeed, and I can't wait to soon get tickets for a PG United and PG Freedom doubleheader!

Posted by: Piney O | September 16, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Is there really a US Nat named Buehler? LOL

Posted by: Matt in SF | September 16, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Chicago Red Stars = Communists?!

Posted by: DE | September 16, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Interested in your thoughts, OWNTF.

My daughter was delighted with Wambach being named to Washington, so looks like I'm making the trek to MarylandSoccer Plex pretty frequently. And to the Germantown Red Robin, of course.

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 16, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

They are playing at the MD Soccerplex?

I thought this was a pro league?

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

And to the Germantown Red Robin, of course.

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 16, 2008 2:38 PM
====================

Gimme a heads up and I'll buy you a beer and a freckled lemonade for your daughter.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 16, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I guess that I'm a Boston fan now. Mitts is so hot!!!

Posted by: Q | September 16, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Are they gonna sex up the uniforms or not?

Posted by: Sepp Blatter | September 16, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Kick Medic didn't use their considerable influence to land Leslie Osborne in Boston so that she and Taylor Twellman could make more horrible commercials together...

Posted by: Kenobi | September 16, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

It's obvious that several of the players got their preferences honored as far as the allocations. That is great.

I really hope that the Freedom get a few sick international players to put with our Nats.

But where the Jrff is right:
Where the hell is my Girl, Bri Scurry???
She's got a couple years left in her.
What gives???

Posted by: yankiboy | September 16, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

No DE, Red Stars don't mean commies--the stars on the municipal flag of Chicago are red; hence, Red Stars.

Posted by: giaco | September 16, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

would have been nice to have Kai in DC - way exciting player, but I can't complain about Wambach & Whitehill

I still think Chicago and Boston made out best.

George - you've got issues, but you've also got a point. Time to learn the rain dance.

Posted by: the other RK | September 16, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

It looks like the Washington Freedom has a new logo: http://fans.womensprosoccer.com

Much better than the last one - I don't even know what that was....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I didn't watch much WUSA, but seems like there would be a weird dynamic in the women's league that doesn't exist in MLS.

In MLS there are only 5-6 guys that play for the Nats and they are spread across 14 club teams which means they rarely play against each other, and even then, its generally just going to be one player per side who are sometimes teammates on a much bigger team.

In the WPS, there are several players on each club team that are frequently teammates with several players from every club team they will play against....can you really play that aggressive in that situation?

Posted by: the | September 16, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know if college seniors are going to be eligible to be drafted for the 2009 season ? League starts in April, but obviously they seniors won't be done with school yet? I think it would be nice to pick up Amy Rodriguez. An A-rod/Wambach combo would be almost as good as the old Hamm/Wambach up top.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

..........................................

It will get even more weird when the international players are added in, but in a somewhat different way. Not only will you have WNT teammates as opponents at the club level, but you will also have a lot of WNT opponents as teammates at the club level.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Do all of the USMNT play on the same team?

Shirley you can't be serious.

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

You're on, I-270, Exit 1.

Think we can get Mia out of retirement? Bet she can still hit a frozen rope from distance.

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 16, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Do all of the USMNT play on the same team?

Shirley you can't be serious.

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 3:46 PM
..........................................

It is a matter of degree. The USMNT pool is dispersed among 14 (soon to be 16 to 18) domestic clubs, and numerous overseas clubs. The USWNT pool will be almost entirely contained within seven clubs. Further, many of the key players of the small handful of WNTs who are the chief rivals of the USWNT (Germany, Brasil, etc.) will soon be employed by the same seven clubs. By contrast, top men's international stars can play in one of La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc., which have about 20 teams apiece.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

This is why it's Club > Country for many people.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

If they played today, 3-on-3 with a small goal, then the Albiceleste would be the best team. But Hope would make every save for the St. Louis (no nickname? Let the debate begin!). She might let one through on a rainy day. If it's against Boston then George will get his wish.

The dynamic would be weird, but it's good for marketing. Each team could tout each match as the battle of Olympic or World Cup stars.

Team? It's a group of athletes wearing the same uniform. And don't call me Shirley.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 16, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

..........................................

Their college careers end with the NCAA tournament in early December. WPS can schedule a draft at any time after that. They can figure out some way to complete their degree requirements, just as MLS draftees do every spring.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Doc, I'm excited about the whole thing. I'd say on paper Sky Blue got the best allocation, lots of speed, I think Rampone is the best defender in the history of the world. Solo plus Chalupny plus a few Brazilians might be pretty cool too. But it's tough to say because you have no idea what the rest of the rosters will look like. I think some of the players offer more flexibility than others to adjust a system to the roster you end with. I wonder whether the coaches are thinking -- Get the best 18 I can get, and design around that, or -- I want to play a certain style and I want players to fit that style. Also curious to see whether WPS is the destination league hands down or whether they end up in a bidding war with European teams. Do the Germans come here or stay put?

Eyes on the international allocation now -- there are other game-changers out there in addition to the Brazilians -- DeVanna of Australia, Smith of England, Bayor of Ghana, Sawa of Japan, the Nigerian whose name escapes me right now.

Yeah, more Red Robin, we got that going for us . . . "season tickets at the SoccerPlex" . . . sounds weird, I wonder if they come with free pre-wrap and nail polish in the team colors

Posted by: OWNTF | September 16, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to be off topic - but can the 6K for the match tonight be expected concess themselves without a big-screen and then hold up flashlights for the 2nd half power outage?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 16, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

CAN YOU PLEASE STOP POSTING ABOUT THE WOMEN'S LEAGUE. I LOOK AT YOUR RSS FEED EVERYDAY LOOKING FOR NEWS AND I GET EXCITED TO SEE NEW POSTINGS AND THEN I READ ITS ABOUT THE WOMEN'S LEAGUE. YOU PROBABLY DON'T INTEND IT TO BE LIKE THIS BUT IT FEELS LIKE BAIT AND SWITCH. MEN'S SOCCER FANS DON'T CARE, AND YOUR BASE IS PROBABLY 95% MALE. PLEASE STOP TORTURING US ALREADY. MLS JUST GOT OUT OF THE ICU A YEAR OR TWO AGO. THIS IS ALL TOO MUCH SOCCER TOO SOON.

Posted by: Dave | September 16, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I can hear you from way over here Dave, no need to shout.

Posted by: Ed | September 16, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

..........................................

I thought the WUSA was pretty successful at getting most of the big stars of its day: Sissi and Pretinha from Brasil; Gao Hong and Sun Wen from China; Hege Riise from Norway; the aforementioned Kelly Smith and Homare Sawa; etc. In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of many world-class players who did *not* come to these shores. It may be harder for WPS. I wouldn't be surprised if they institute a DP rule right from the start.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Dave's whining about all these people posting about a subject that nobody cares about reminds me of Yogi Berra's observation that no one went to a certain restaurant anymore because it was always too crowded. The difference is that unlike Yogi, Dave appears to be serious, which is I feel so embarrassed for him.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

We're talking WPS because there's nothing else going on today.

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Dave, your presentation matches the value of your content.

Posted by: gringo | September 16, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

You give guys with the name Dave a bad name.. Just shushup, and change your name while you're at it... Most folks who like soccer like women's soccer, if for different reasons....

Case in point, who posted Kai was on the other team? How do you know? Any links to evidence on you-tube would certainly be welcome....

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 16, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

no hope solo, no mitts, damn this sucks :(

Posted by: pmanager.org | September 16, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Most folks who like soccer like women's soccer, if for different reasons....

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 16, 2008 4:43 PM
-------------------------------------

To be more precise, "Most folks who like soccer like women's soccer PLAYERS." I'll go head-to-head with anybody here in terms of total minutes of soccer I watch each week, but none of that time is spent watching women's soccer. I'm just not invested in the result the way I am with DC, Fulham, or the US men.

Posted by: Kenobi | September 16, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Dear Dave: No.

Posted by: Amanda | September 16, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

And hacksaw:

"It was a hard time," remembered Kai, who saw action limited action under former coach Greg Ryan as one of the last three players added to the 2007 World Cup roster. "I had missed the first camp [under Sundhage] in early-January because I had bronchitis, and I was going through a nasty break-up with my girlfriend. Then [Coach Sundhage] told me my job was on the line."

Posted by: Amanda | September 16, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Dave: Not everyone is you. Some of us actually like Goff post about women's soccer. Including me.

So, thanks Goff. I appreciate you posting this when most soccer blogs wouldn't even consider mention the women's game.

Posted by: Sarah | September 16, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Washington came off very well in this allocation. Of all the US attackers, the only one that the rest of the world is impressed with and really fears is Wambach. She's head and shoulders above all of the other US women's attacking talent, physically she's a challenge to matchup with and she's shown she can get results with little service. Kai, Hucles, all the other attackers are not as good or as consistent. I'll take Whitehill as a coolhead on the backline and organizer.

Also, my understanding is that this was an allocation of NT players. Scurry wasn't on the NT (though she's certainly the pool). The Freedom has a strong team already with a lot of cohesion. Add in these allocations and 2-3 good foreign players and they'll clearly be no worse that a solid team contending for the playoffs.

Now, my understanding is that the money to entice foreign talent isn't there so I'm going to be surprised of you see the entire Nigerian/Brasilian/Norwegian/German teams come to the league. So unless a club has been doing some advance scouting and talking to players about who'd be willing to make the jump, I think some teams will request, say....Marta and Christianne and maybe strike out on both.

Posted by: JoeW | September 16, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Wooo hoo! I never knew that about Natasha Kai. I was always a fan of her but now I'm even MORE of a fan hehe.

Posted by: Jade | September 16, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

..........................................

It was an allocation of players in the pool, which is how Krieger, who has a few caps but has never played in the WWC or Olympics, got selected. Scurry could have been selected, just as Krieger was, but she wasn't.

Also, it should not be assumed that the Freedom will be allowed to keep its current (W-League) roster intact. Those players will almost surely be involved in an upcoming draft. Otherwise, the Freedom would have an unfair advantage over other teams that are being assembled from scratch.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

..........................................

See my post above. The WUSA was quite successful at attracting top foreign players at the same salaries (about $80K) that the top domestic players were offered, which was probably more than they could make anywhere else in the world. Things may be different this time around; for one thing, Marta is rumored to earn the equivalent of well over $100K in Sweden. Thus, the league very well may institute some sort of DP rule.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow, talk about some horrible team names and logos. Sky Blue Sky FC? Washington Freedom? They could have lifted the Boston Breakers logo from the old NASL, it's so cheesy. What crap. I'm trying to picture Champions League matchup between the Milan Marauders and the London Chirpy Cockneys. Winner on aggregate advances to play winner of the Munich Mayhem vs Sevilla Storm quarterfinal.

I think I'll support Chicago because they have the only decent uniforms.

Posted by: Jamie Z. | September 16, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

Please keep posting about women's soccer. There's an audience for it, despite what some people (who can't seem to exercise free will and choose to ignore the things they don't like/care about) say.

Thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

St. Louis should be a strong given Solo and Chalupny; perhaps the Brazilian coach will help land Marta and a few others.

Posted by: USA_soccer | September 16, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I want to care. I really do. Just can't.

Posted by: ABT | September 16, 2008 1:39 PM

ABT, if you took the time to read the story, then respond to it, obviously, you DO care.

Posted by: FreedomFan | September 17, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: USA_soccer | September 16, 2008 11:11 PM
..........................................

Perhaps, but the league will continue to use allocations and drafts to maintain parity among teams. It will be a while before the teams are allowed to go into the open market and sign players as free agents.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 17, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm just happy to know we're getting Abby back. She started her pro career here, gave the Freedom their only WUSA title. It's only fitting that she come back here.

Posted by: FreedomFan | September 17, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse