A Few Minutes With Bob Bradley

A brief excerpt from the coach's media session after today's training.....

If the USA wins Saturday and clinches a berth, how will the roster change for the T&T trip?

"We have 23 in this camp, which obviously means we have some extras, and if we win, we have certainly the possibility of making some changes going into the next game. We won't name our roster for the next game until Sunday. We are constantly keeping track of a lot of different players and we will see what opportunities are there after the [Cuba] game."

Your thoughts on Jose Francisco Torres committing to the U.S. program and coming to his first training camp?

"He is a young player that we feel it's the right time to begin the process of bringing him in to the national team. What makes it different is just the fact that he had another option [Mexico], so there is an excitement on our end that we can get him in and get to know him, and I feel it gives us another talented young player who hopefully is going to make us stronger in the future. ... In all these cases, there are some behind-the-scenes work that needs to get done, but you don't want to distort the process either. There are a lot of players that we keep track of. It is important to respect the whole thing, and that's for everybody who you think is playing well enough and potentially has earned an opportunity to come in. So you try to balance all those things and find the right time, and see how it goes."

It's been a very busy day in Insider Nation. Time to get some print edition work done. I will have much more on the U.S. team's arrival in Tuesday's dead-tree version (available online late tonight).

I'll leave you with this question: Who will Bradley start Saturday against Cuba? (Not who you want him to start, but who you think he will start.)

By Steve Goff  |  October 6, 2008; 4:42 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA in D.C.
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Thanks! Looking forward to tomorrow's driveway edition.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 6, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

My guess: exact same lineup as the T&T game. Correct me if any of those players are not eligible to play.

Posted by: SSMD | October 6, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

To clarify: the previous game against T&T, not the upcoming game.

Posted by: SSMD | October 6, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

---------------Howard---------------
Dolo-----Gouch-------Boco------Pearce
Dempsey------Bradley-----Edu-----Beasley
------------------Donovan----------
------------------Ching-----------

Unfortunately.......

Posted by: Beckster | October 6, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I think he will start Altidore.

Posted by: Adam | October 6, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

WPS -- Freedom drafted three Cavs and a Terp.

WPS gets a 3 year deal with Fox Soccer Channel.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I do not understand why everyone is so down on Bradley's lineup. It has been successful. I do not like Chrerundolo or Pearce as the wing backs, but we have not given up a goal. I do question the fact that Wynne is not there. Starting XI:

Ching
Dempsey
Beasly Donovan
Edu Bradley
Peace Cherundolo
Bocanegra Onyewu
Howard

Posted by: Ride the Pine | October 6, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Whew: the WPS will have a weekly Sunday night game on FSC -- no conflicts.

Posted by: RK | October 6, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Hmm -- it's kinda hard to separate out those two options. I'm thinking we might see some surprises.

Maybe not so much in the starting lineup, but...

Pretty much the same as everybody else, except that I'm guessing Altidore up top, instead of Ching. Ching's hot right now, but I just feel it's Jozy's time to play a meaningful game. I think that there's a chance Adu could start, but that he'll probably be an early second-half sub -- get that standing ovation and all. I'd also expect Hejduk to get a fair amount of time. I'd say possibly as a starter, but that might wait for the T& T game. On the other hand, he's rested now. I also wonder whether he'll cap Torres this weekend or wait for the trip to T&T. I guess it depends on the score and whether Bradley still has a free sub to use late in the game...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 6, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Do they have a contract elsewhere because an FSC contract won't mean to much. I think the league is gonna have issues overall. Better than nothing, but I doubt it draws.

The novelty is over and woman's soccer doesn't have NBA owners/TV rights to force on the netwroks as with the corporate welfare situation known as the WNBA.

Posted by: TK | October 6, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

What's FSC paying them in?

Peanuts? Pennies? Nuts? Bolts? Grass?

Posted by: TK | October 6, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

What's FSC paying them in?

Peanuts? Pennies? Nuts? Bolts? Grass?

Posted by: TK | October 6, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me where the MNT is training this week? Are training sessions open to fans?

So happy to see Davies and Torres in the mix, but I doubt they even make the roster for this week.

Posted by: Adam | October 6, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

------------------Howard----------------
Cherundolo----Gooch---Bocanegra----Pearce
-----------------------------------------
Dempsey----Bradley---Klejestan-----Beasly
-----------------------------------------
-----------------Donovan-------------------------------------Ching--------------------
Subs: Altidore, Adu, Szetela

Posted by: Jalapinho | October 6, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Lemme guess, TK stands for Total Kook.

Posted by: dadryan | October 6, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know if the nats training sessions are open? Where r they training?

Posted by: pigman sweet | October 6, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Adam - Training sessions are not open to the general public.

Posted by: Fid | October 6, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I think he'll probably start Michael Bradley :)

Posted by: Glaucon | October 6, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

This is the second time (that I know of) Troy Perkins has been called upon. Will he actually come? Any chance of him playing this year or next?

Posted by: kris | October 6, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

im suprised that no one has mentioned perkins yet

Posted by: the jim | October 6, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahaha "TK means total kook". It is funny because the guy is an idiot, right?

Posted by: pigman sweet | October 6, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

im suprised that no one has mentioned perkins yet

Posted by: the jim | October 6, 2008 10:38 PM
__________________________________________

Me too! I cannot find anything that gives some light on this call up. I like Perkins and am glad to see he's being recognized, but I want some more info on this. Anyone PLEASE!!!!!

Posted by: kris | October 6, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

We're doomed.

No, we will qualify for the next round and the next round. After that, we're dead meat in the WC. It's just no fun to watch the US anymore. We used to be these great underdogs but now we're just boring and I swear to God: It seems as if our attacking options are worse than ther were back when we had Wynalda, Ramos and Harkes.

Where is the progress?

I'm rooting for Cuba.

(not really :)

Posted by: Former US Enthusiast | October 6, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I think Jalapinho is dead on with what Bradley will send out. It's not an away game, so he'll play the more attack-oriented Kljestan over Edu.

kris:

I'm not really sure what news there is out there beyond the fact that Perkins was called in for these games. He will be in practice with the rest of the team. Even if Howard gets hurt (cross your fingers that that is not the case), Guzan will definitely be 2nd choice. The idea is for Bradley to get an up-close look at Perkins. It's standard operating procedure for the national team.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 7, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

The Kooks.

Maybe I am. Then again, I pulled all my money into cash 2 years ago because I pay attention. I was told I was an idiot then. Not anymore.

Good luck to the league, but there aren't many good signs...at all.

Kind of like DC this year.

Then again, I was one of those Kooks who thought it was incredibly dumb and naive to wait on PP for so long. I was an idiot then also.

For an idiot, I'm sure right a lot.

Keep believing the hype sheep.

This womans league isn't gonna amount to much. Glorified college soccer. The signs are all there. Pretty obvious.

Posted by: TK | October 7, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

WPS gets a 3 year deal with Fox Soccer Channel.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2008 5:39 PM
==================

Good news for WPS. Good news for fans.
The downside is that they'll run more Pro Active commercials. The ad's variation on Bruce Hornsby's music is like a reciprocating saw to my ear drums.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 7, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

@ Chest Rockwell

Thank you! That's all I was looking for!!!

Posted by: kris | October 7, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Jalapino's lineup isn't bad but I think Bob might rest his son & put Mo with Sacha. Freddy subbing in before Jozy is a possibility as is Charlie for Beas.
------------------Howard----------------
Cherundolo----Gooch---Bocanegra----Pearce
-----------------------------------------
Dempsey----Edu---Kljestan-----Beasley
-----------------------------------------

Posted by: DC fan in denial of this latest crapshow | October 7, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Jalapino's lineup isn't bad but I think Bob might rest his son...

Posted by: DC fan in denial of this latest crapshow | October 7, 2008 1:53 PM
__________________________________________

I'll believe it when I see it...and maybe not even then. I fully expect to see Jalapino's lineup.

Posted by: Jamie Z. | October 7, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Total Kook. 100%

Posted by: dadryan | October 7, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

ride the pine - yes, we have won...but who have we won against? and how was the footy during those wins? the answer is against sub-par teams and sloppy footy. i know conditions have a lot to do with it, but i want the US to be able to play attractive footy wherever they go...if even only for 15 minutes! BB has relied on the same players who barely get the job done. i still like these players and support them, and i certainly do not think they all should no be called up, but some shouldn't be. I don't think we need to be looking at players like Ching, Hedjuk, or EJ...we need to be looking at players like Adu, Altidore and Charlie Davies (to name a FEW). We need to get these players on the same page because they are going to be our core for 2010. which means they need to get time to play together NOW. and Bob Bradley is just ignoring this. i think a coach who has coached at the highest level is needed as well.

Posted by: bryan | October 7, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse