Afternoon Kickaround

*While "El Primitivo" is out as Guatemala's coach after another failing effort by the Chapines in World Cup qualifying, "Tappa" will remain in charge of Jamaica through the end of this round.

*Brazil beats Spain in the Futsal World Cup final. Yes, futsal. Watch the video here.

*Soccer America men's college top 10: 1. Wake Forest (13-0-1); 2. Creighton (10-1-1); 3. Akron (11-1-2); 4. Northwestern (10-0-2); 5. St. John's (12-1-2); 6. Maryland (11-3-0); 7. North Carolina (11-2-1); 8. UC Davis (11-2-2); 9. Loyola, Md. (12-0-1); 10. Tulsa (9-3-1).

*Soccer America women's college top 10: 1. Notre Dame (16-0-0); 2. Stanford (12-0-1); 3. UCLA (13-0-2); 4. Portland (13-1-0); 5. North Carolina (14-1-1); 6. Florida (13-2-1); 7. Virginia (12-2-1); 8. Florida State (12-2-1); 9. Southern Cal (12-2-1); 10. Texas (10-2-3).

*TV today, Manchester City at Newcastle, 2 p.m., Setanta. (Sorry for the late notice.) Tomorrow, Machester United-Celtic on ESPN2 at 2:30 and Juventus-Real Madrid on ESPN Classic at 5 p.m.

Speaking of Setanta.....

By Steve Goff  |  October 20, 2008; 2:20 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , College Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moreno to Announce Bolivia Retirement
Next: Moreno Makes It Official

Comments

Goff,

Any insight into how UC Davis makes the top 10 in the men's poll and what's going on with UCSB?

Thanks!

Posted by: beltwayrob | October 20, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

UC Davis is for real. Big West a solid soccer conference.

Posted by: Troy | October 20, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

According to Soccernet, Mourinho claims he has "unfinished business" in the EPL and may return to England after his contract with Inter ends. I think he wants to shorten his commute to London to host I'm On Setanta Sports.

Posted by: Be Champions! | October 20, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

You guys know 'El Primitivo' means caveman right? Can you imagine calling someone like that because of their looks here in the US? LOL !

Posted by: Charisma_Man | October 20, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I quit because Geico was sponsoring our games.

Posted by: El Primitivo | October 20, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Shut up Soccer Insider readers!

Posted by: Jose Mourinho | October 20, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Sports from Lake Woebegone:

Charlie Davies started, played 89', and scored the 2nd goal for Hammarby in their 3-0 defeat of Djurgarden.

Danny Califf went 90' in Midgetlands 2-1 win over Aarhus. Jeremiah White played 90 for Aarhus.

The Minnesota Thunder's season is over.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 20, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I-270, you aren't the only one who read's Califf's team and calls it that...

Posted by: RK | October 20, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"I don't have a boat!"

Pommie rhyming slang truly is its own language...

Posted by: Eric B | October 20, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I'd much rather watch Juventus - Real Madrid than ManU - Celtic. I think ESPN earlier (during DC-New England on Thursday?) had said they would show Real - Juve.

Maybe they found out neither of those teams were in the British Isles so they had to change it. ESPN's coverage of the Champions League would be much more interesting if it weren't so Brit-centric.

Posted by: garbaggio | October 20, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Goff, being a great soccer blogist is never having to say you are sorry. This is all gravy for us!

Posted by: EssEff | October 20, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Garbaggio - I'd agree, though the Bayern Munich - Fiorentina game on Tuesday is pretty tasty too. Granted, I'm a biased Fiorentina fan, but embattled Klinsman at home trying to get a win and Luca Toni's former teammates coming for a visit should make for interesting viewing, no?

Posted by: tmc | October 20, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I-270, you aren't the only one who read's Califf's team and calls it that...

Posted by: RK | October 20, 2008 4:15 PM
==========================

And the other team is called:

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 20, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Just found out that Verizon added Setanta to my soccer package. When do these "special one" features normally air?

Posted by: JMR | October 20, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I was waiting for The Special One to comment on It's loss to Jamaica. Worth it. And as a Real fan I'm disappointed it isn't the ESPN game, but I'm fine with it I suppose.

Posted by: Jacob | October 20, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

You can usually do it to me between the EPL games broadcasted by Setanta Sports on Saturday. My show has it's own featured time that will show on your provider's menu guide.

Be champions!

Posted by: Jose Mourinho | October 21, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Soccer Insider of the Washington Post is.....Fantastic!!! Be Champions!!

LOL