Beckham Loan Finalized

AC Milan and the Galaxy issued this statement:

An agreement has been reached between the L.A. Galaxy and AC Milan for the loan of Galaxy midfielder David Beckham effective in January 2009. Beckham remains under contract to the Galaxy of Major League Soccer and will return to the club for training and the start of the 2009 MLS season. AC Milan and the Galaxy have additionally agreed to a technical partnership that will provide great benefit to both clubs. Terms of the agreement will remain confidential.

By Steve Goff  |  October 30, 2008; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: The Finalists Are.....

Comments

Maybe the Queensland Roar game will be back on!

Posted by: Reignking | October 30, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

A good move for Beckham. Whether or not it's good for the Galaxy and MLS depends on if he returns healthy.

These MLS-Euroteam "partnerships" continue to confuse me. I think it means that Galaxy execs get free trips to Milan.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I very specifically said that I was fine with this deal as long as they NEVER send him back... and they have it seems agreed to do just that. BASTARDS!

Posted by: Shanoni | October 30, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shanoni | October 30, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that it appears to be sandwiched in between the Australia trip and pre-season with the Galaxy. I agree with I270 on the benefits but given Becks age and injury history, I can't believe that playing at this level for 2 months of the offseason and then traveling internationally all the time is not going to give him injuries. I'd be shocked if Arena isn't crazed about this - particularly with what seems to be an impending departure by Donovan

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 30, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

They killed Kenny?

Posted by: fischy | October 30, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Goff...get a lot of "network errors" and comments don't always get posted. Whats up?

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 30, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Does AC Milan pick up the tab for Goldenballs' contract while he is on loan? Or to put this another way - do MLS players get paid on 12 month contracts or only during the season?

Posted by: IamAM | October 30, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Does Milan pick up the tab for the insurance payments while Beckham is on loan in case of injury?

Posted by: Juan-John | October 30, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I read that first line out loud, and the strangest thing happened...the words "LA Galaxy" came out phonetically as "Eh-Eee-Gee". I wonder what that's about.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 30, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Does AC Milan pick up the tab for Goldenballs' contract while he is on loan?

Yes - apparently the negotiations were over how much Milan would pay. Rumor had their share for two months being around $1 million.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 30, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

How does that structure under the salary cap and how does a contracted MLS player's loan deal remain confidental under salary cap rules?

Posted by: Shanoni | October 30, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The LA Galaxy are probably going to be much better next year either.

Beckham is the ca$h cow. He's got them by the....... That one player is bigger than the team. It will be curious to see if the actually let Donovan go to Europe now. They need someone of decent skill to partner with Beckham. They might turn down a 4 or 5 million transfer fee (I'd be really surprised if they got more than that for Donovan considering his previous stints in Germany).

The Galaxy looks to be dreadful again next year.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 30, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

If Beckham does well in Milan expect a trade(maybe with a loan deal back to LA)before the end of March. Beckham didn't come here to play on such a lousy Galaxy team. He wants out.

Posted by: oz4dcu | October 30, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing it will take time for the full story to emerge, but if Beckham loaned himself out to AC Milan and forced the Galaxy to be complicit, then this Beckham experiment is not working. It's bad enough that the team is garbage (mostly poor scouting and management), and it's a joke that the rest of the team gets paraded around to exhibition matches as if anyone cares about the Galaxy. I usually applaud his attitude, but it appears he considers himself bigger than the club. (He probably is.)

Of course, maybe I would have a different opinion if another MLS player actively pursued a short-term loan deal to give himself European exposure.....

Posted by: DWE4 | October 30, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

To be honest, I don't think this is all that far removed from a baseball player playing winter ball in the Caribbean or Venezuela during the offseason -- it's just that most of the time it's the lesser lights who do it, not a big star like, say, Ryan Howard.

Beckham wants to continue to play for his country and manager Fabio Capello is on record as saying he won't select anyone who is not currently playing. That's a not-so-subtle jab at Becks, who is no longer on the same season schedule as his countrymen.

I could be wrong, though, too, in not reading anything anti-MLS into this loan. I don't think that MLS has ever had anyone of this caliber player who would want (or need) to be loaned out like this. Should the end of February come around with no word of Beckham returning to LA, then that's a whole 'nother story.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 30, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I think Beckham has earned the right to be taken at his word. If he says he's coming back and is commted to Galaxy, I have no reason not to believe him.

Posted by: Late2Bass | October 30, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse