Torres Commits to USA

Jose Francisco Torres, the Texas-born midfielder who has spent five years in the Pachuca system and is eligible for both the U.S. and Mexican national programs, has accepted an invitation to play for the United States and will be at training camp in Washington starting Monday.

Torres confirmed the decision tonight.

The full U.S. roster, which had been tentatively scheduled to be released today but then was pushed back to Sunday, will now likely be unveiled Friday. It is expected to include 23 players, including three keepers.

The USSF has been pursuing Torres, who turns 21 on Oct. 29, since last spring (as first reported on the Insider) to compete for a roster spot on the Olympic squad. At the time, he declined.

Torres, a left-footed player who is 5 feet 5 and 135 pounds, is a regular with Pachuca's first team and has started half of the Tuzos matches this season. He scored against Puebla. Pachuca will play at Necaxa this Saturday before Torres travels to Washington for U.S. training camp.

"I was born in the U.S. and my dream was always to play for the U.S. national team," said Torres, whose father was born in Mexico and mother is originally from the States.

I will have more comments from Torres shortly.

Additional comments from Torres:

On Mexico's interest.....

"They have been interested. They have been calling me for a few weeks now, but I think I took the right decision to choose the U.S."

On making the decision.....

"It was a hard decision because I was born in the U.S. and I have lived in Mexico for five years now. My career, I made it in Mexico, but finally I talked it over with my family and they told me whatever decision I make, they had my back."

On getting noticed by scouts while playing in Texas.....

"When I was in the U.S., I played in ODP, there were scouts that looked at me, but every time I went to camp with ODP, I never really had a chance. When I was 16, I got scouted in school by a Mexican scout and it was the only decision I had: come to Mexico or go to school. I took the decision to come to Mexico and play soccer, and thank God it worked out and everything has gone good."

Competing on the U.S. national team.....

"I have to practice hard to win a spot and show the talent that I have."

On influence from Michael Orozco, another U.S.-Mexican player.....

"We stayed in contact often. We talked recently and he asked me if I was going to the U.S. and I told him I was going. He told me he was going too [to training camp]. We both made the same choice and I think it's a good choice."

On Pachuca Coach Enrique Meza's influence on his decision.....

"I asked him what would be a good position for me. ... He told me, 'Whatever decision you make, we are going to have your back. If you go to the U.S., I think it will be good.' I talked to him and I talked to my parents, and my parents were happy I made the right decision."

[To clarify, USSF President Sunil Gulati, who was actively involved in Torres's recruitment, said Meza did not push him to play for one country or the other and has been supportive of Torres's decision. Torres: "Coach has always been there for me and whatever decision I make."]

On his long-range goals.....

"My dream is to make my career here [in Mexico] and, God willing, it opens the door for the national team and hopefully opens doors for European teams to look at me."

On his discussions with Bob Bradley.....

"We talked about how he had seen me play and that I had great skill and a good vision of the game, and that he was interested in me coming to the U.S. I told him that I was going to think about it."

On his natural left foot and where he likes to play.....

"Here in Mexico, I play center, but a little bit on the flank and I like to attack the goal a little bit."

By Steve Goff  |  October 2, 2008; 7:46 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA National Team Update
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

great news! Why play for Sven when you can play for Bob and the USA!?!

Posted by: maw | October 2, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we get one on our side!

Posted by: Izzy | October 2, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Now we know the identity of one of the second-half subs against Cuba. (He becomes cap-tied at the moment he has a chat with the fourth official.)

Was Torres ever seriously considered for Mexican national teams at any level?

Posted by: The Jeff | October 2, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

It's been a little while since any soccer news made me smile. Cool. I bet his life becomes a bit harder south of the border.

Posted by: Dr. Woo | October 2, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm unfamiliar with Torres, what kind of player is he? What does he add to the US roster (now and in the future)?

Posted by: noptov52 | October 2, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Woo Hoo! Great news!

Posted by: Woo Hoo! | October 2, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Since when did Barra Brava as a fan club start supporting the US??? To me it always seemed like Barra members supported the US as individuals. Every Barra member I met at Us games was with Sams army not Barra Brava. If I remember corretly I read a post on big soccer on soccer insider coming directly from a guy named "CHICO" that Barra is not an official supporter of the US team. If I am wrong please prove me wrong but the facts are facts.

Posted by: fan needs more info | October 2, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

He's something of an attacking midfielder, yes?

Posted by: Colm | October 2, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Thank GOD!

Posted by: Don | October 2, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Sing it now:

Francisco Torres
USA's Number Nine
NA NA NA NA NA, NA NA!

Posted by: Ameobi | October 2, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you just made my week!

Posted by: Kartik | October 2, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear. Maybe this will help sway more Americans down in Mexico to play for the USA as well. Either way it is good to see that we have 2 players playing in Mexico now. Younger players might use this as an example of how to get to the national team and it can only help us out.

Posted by: Randomher0723 | October 2, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

More proof that the ODP system is crap, with players like this slipping through becasue they are too small, or dont play enough 'american' style soccer.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | October 2, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Holy smokes this kid is tiny, no wonder he never got a serious look in our system. Welcome to the bars and stripes kid hope you push for a spot, don't know if he'll pan out but it's a good thing to have as many players competing for spots as possible.

It seems many of our guys in our system seem to have spots locked up. This mentality needs to change.

Posted by: Thora | October 2, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Last i checked, the left back spot isnt locked up, is it?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | October 2, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Any truth to a Bolivia-El Salvador friendly at the RFK?

Posted by: VIVA BOLIVIA | October 2, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic news for US fans (like me) who crave some frickin' creativity. And who wouldn't love to see us develop a deeper pool of talent at every position, so the form players play.

For those who haven't seen him with Pachuca, Torres is a left-footed attacker, lovely dribbler, good vision, silky first touch. He's not what Americans think of as athlete-sized, which probably why he was overlooked in the ODP. Hopefully he'll kick ass and the change that's underway in USSoccer will be accelerated.

Posted by: Sean | October 2, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I think this gives the US some more variety. It will be interesting to see how he fits in.

I welcome the opportunity for more US players to play in Mexico. It's a good league. I would like to see even some non-Hispanic US players play in Mexico. Variety is the spice of life.

Posted by: John | October 2, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I didn't think they'd sway him to the US. I hope it works out for him all around.

Posted by: dadryan | October 2, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for Oct. 11th at RFK - lets give him a warm welcome!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic break of a story Goff. And the quotes, great stuff. This is good news that USSF is actively seeking to bring this type of player into the pool. Hopefully he can give us some options on the left/center - we need need some attacking skill there since we have an oversupply of defensive midfielders on the USMNT.

Posted by: sbg | October 2, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

This is great news. Francisco Torres really adds something to our attack with his creativity and dribbling ability. Kudos to Gulati and Bradley for getting their man.

Suddenly, the Cuba match has some intrigue to it!

Posted by: Bill in Md. | October 2, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

John --

Pachuca scouts were in Montgomery County in August to scout high school players through a local connection they have:

There's some quality in the Mexican league, and it would be good if more Americans played in it (they could probably make more money there, in some cases).

Posted by: Bill in Md. | October 2, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I think he has an uphill battle to be a consistent starter for us but the more the merrier. Now about Subotic....

Posted by: Thora | October 2, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

what should we have expected from our ODP, seriously it has missed so many players, these are the types of things that we get noticed as the league (MLS) get bigger and grabs more attention. We will get those players that have quality and go on to play in other leagues, but we will also get those players that sadly in the last decade have given up there dream of playing. Some do not have the heart or $$ to dream of going PRO.

Posted by: dc fan | October 2, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

"ODP has missed so many players"

ok, besides torres, who did they miss?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I saw him play for Pachuca when they came to Atlanta and played against the Silverbacks. In warm ups I didn't have a program, picked out the one guy size wise I was hoping wasn't him. Turned out it was. After watching him tear up the Silverbacks defense (not hard to do, I realize, but still), I came away very impressed and hoping we get him. He's got everything Sean said he does. I was especially impressed with his ability to play a tough pass perfectly, then finish the play by making the run to either set himself or his teammates up with space. He thinks all the way through a play before making it, and does it at a high level.

Glad to see we've got him, now, about that Subotic kid...

Which raises another point: Can the USSF hire guys like Pete Carrol and Urban Meyer to recruit for our national soccer teams? Between the two of them they seem to get every player they want, maybe mix in a little Ron Zook and Nick Saban, I think we could lock up every guy with more than one choice around. Maybe even a guy or two that isn't eligible. Hey, half those kids aren't academically qualified, it's the same sort of thing as that, right?

Posted by: Jacob | October 2, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

How do y'all think Bobby Convey reacted when he heard the news?

Posted by: Nic | October 3, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

OLE OLE OLE
OLE OLE OLE OLA
OLE OLE OLE
CADA DIA TE QUIERO MAS
SOYYYYY SOY DEL US
Es un sentimiento que no puedo parrar.

SOMOS LAS BARRAS y LAS ESTRELLAS
Que se culeaaaa a los Cubanos (CONCACAF)
Se Mueve para alla
Se Mueve para aca
Esta noche les vamos a ganar

and my personal favorite.....

(THUMP)
OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH LET GO USSSAAAAAAAA
USAAAA, USAAAAA
LETS GO USA

LA NORTE WILL BE THERE IN FULL VOICE

WHO ELSE??????

Posted by: LA NORTE | October 3, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Poor atlante they just go Publiced..

FUNNY STUFF ON FOX SPORTS en espanol, Because San Luis from Mexico got eliminated from copa sud, they decided not to air the scheduled replay, instead they decided to air chivass win in the sudamerica...jeje man sour losers all the way from the top.

Posted by: dc fan | October 3, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't be happier for the kid. I have seen him play three times;twice as a starter, once as a sub against DC. Each time he seemed the most dynamic player on the pitch. This guy can play in any attacking mid position. More importantly he should be ready to play immeadiately. Hopefully BB won't stifle his creativity. Best thing Gulati's done during his term. My guess Beasley stays in Glasgow to get his spot back with Rangers

Posted by: Dips since 78 | October 3, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

It's certainly great news for the US side. He's small, but so is Beasley. He gives us possibly even more flair there then Beas has... It should probably work to his advantage as well. My guess is he will get more caps with the US side than he would ever get with Mexico -- so, he will find it easier to get a work permit in Europe, particularly in the UK (if Beas can make it in Scotland, so can this kid).

What makes the signing especially so attractive is it sets a good precedent -- maybe some Mexican lads playing here can aspire to play for the US side...and still play for Dad's favorite Mexican club team.

Now, in case ya'll were wondering -- my comeback continued tonight. Game #2 after my first knee injury 19 years ago. Man, do my knees hurt. The other team had some good players -- they could run, and delivered some nice crosses, etc. When my legs started to go, they were faking me out my jock. I did have a few good stops, though -- and made one terrific centering pass. Unfortunately, my teammate couldn't hold the ball long enough for a shot. Two weeks until the next game. Two weeks for me to get in better shape....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 3, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

"thank God it worked out and everything has gone good."

...everything except the grammar classes you're missing in school.

Posted by: Glaucon | October 3, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff. Torres is clever and different from anyone else in the US pool. Plus, any time the US puts one over on FMF, it's good news.

Off-topic, but did anyone else enjoy the stylings of Abbey Okulaja tonight? He failed to send off Davino for an intentional handball that directly robbed Sealy of a breakaway, and then gave Dallas a penalty for what looked to be either a case of ball-to-hand or ball-to-chest on Lima in the 88th minute. While I firmly believe MLS should either turn down Okulaja whenever US Soccer schedules him for a match (or, at the very least, never put him on national television, since he is an embarrassment), as a DC fan I'm extremely pleased. The 1-1 draw is the best result that could have come out of the game from our perspective.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 3, 2008 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Nice!

Posted by: Kire | October 3, 2008 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Fast, creative, takes on defenders? How's that working out for Jozy and Freddy? Sounds like someone else that Bradley can ignore in favor of statues like EJ, Ching, Eddie Lewis, Convey and Pablo. Please fire Bob Bradley and hire someone with a clue.

Posted by: Hmmm | October 3, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse

This is fantastic news for the US! This kid is incredible and he's on a top team in a good league.

I wonder how he would fit into Beasely's position on the left flank. Thus moving Beasely over to the right, because he can play both. Midfield playing time just got a bit tighter. If I were a US MNT regular and I wasnt in Euorpe, I'd be on the first plane to over (Here's looking at you Landon).

Posted by: strago | October 3, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

ps, Goff thanks for the awesome reporting!

Posted by: strago | October 3, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

The only thing that could be better would be to hear that Subotic was comming too...unfortunately I feel that he will end up with the Germans.

Posted by: Johnny | October 3, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Glad so many people agree with this move. How many of them have really seen this kid play?? Is he any good?? We have another young left footed midfielder who could also have an impact. Wonder if he will fly back for this camp???

Posted by: Seriously | October 3, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

As long as he doesn't play young Bradleys position, he should be getting some playing time...

Posted by: EMP | October 3, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Now, if the USA men's national team could only snag Giuseppe Rossi (born and raised in New Jersey) away from Italy...

Posted by: Anonymous BE | October 3, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

.........................................

The only time I recall Beasley playing on the right side was against the Czrchs in '06, and I was unimpressed.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 3, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Seriously | October 3, 2008 8:50 AM

-----------------------------------

You're seriously not a United fan. He is that good. He torched us down both flanks in the Champions Cup, served in several gorgeous crosses, had an assist. He can create with the ball, take people on the dribble, and has a vision that belies his years. Will he be an option come 2010? He certainly may, given he was a choice for the Olympics. He won't start over Beasley, but get looks over someone like Rogers? Definetly. Plus any player who spurns Mexico gets a vote from me :)

Posted by: AJ | October 3, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Rossi is no longer an option he appeared for Italy in the U-21 Euros, never switched alligances (sp?), played for them at the Oylmpics, and will wear the full Azzuri soon.

Posted by: AJ | October 3, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous BE | October 3, 2008 8:55 AM
.........................................

It was pointed out in the previous thread that Rossi is cap-tied to Italy. People who have been here for a while know that it pays to do one's homework and read the last few threads before posting.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 3, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

uh....where'd the morning kickaround go? I just saw it there like 45 minutes ago and now poof - it's gone! Bizzaro.

Posted by: downtown | October 3, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Morning kickaround is back, with a video link.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Happy we got this kid but I am a realist also. The kid didn't get chosen for Sven's camp cupcake matches this last go round.

When he saw that I'm sure it made his choice pretty easy.

Happy we got him and let's hope the Mexes blew one here.

Posted by: TK | October 3, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

What the US needs is more quality players competing for spots. Heres hoping this kids presence lights a fire under DMB, because he hasn't done squat for two years now.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | October 3, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I would worry about his size personally. Maybe on the flank you can get away with that, but in international play you can't have a slight central middie.

But from what I'm reading in this thread, it sounds like he could have the skill set to play out wide. Maybe push Beas for some minutes.

Posted by: Matte | October 3, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

The Jeff = The Dick

Posted by: keyboard warrior | October 3, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

This is great news! Now we have unheard of depth at left wing. Imagine Torres torching defenses, then Beas coming in to further torch tired defenses. Only question now is, who will play on the right wing?

Posted by: BigWave | October 3, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Good news and a good story. Wonderful that kids that grow up here with other pressure can still want to play for the country they were born in. Not an easy decision I'm sure. Also, wonderful that he's had support from multiple places.
Perhaps he'll be able to provide the service, direction and creativity that we've been expecting of Adu.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

About damn time.

A small, slightly built, Mexican-American midfielder playing for the US? Thank you, God!! and Sunil and Bob.

I hope he's not the last one. Personally speaking, we need some "flavor" and "spice" in our US soccer system.

Posted by: EASTLACHIVA | October 3, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Hello The Jeff, comment snob of the day. Get a life.

Posted by: Har | October 3, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Two things... first, I'm amazed (in a good way) to hear that a Mexican coach was supportive of Torres' decision to play for the US. That stands in stark contrast to things I've heard about other Mexican clubs pressuring their U.S.-eligible players into choosing Mexico (I can't remember the actual guys this happened to).

Second, if Torres can handle the left wing, that allows Beasley to move to the right wing (where I believe he sees a lot of his time for Rangers). Beasley is a lefty, but he looks a lot better cutting inside from the right wing than he does crossing from the left wing (I can't remember the last time Beasley sent in a good cross from the left wing, anyway).
Moving Beasley to the right also frees up Dempsey to move to the central attacking midfield role he prefers, and Donovan can play as a withdrawn forward (which seems to be his best role too). Of course that means Bradley would have to go away from his beloved 2 d-mid formation.

Either way, Torres opens up some options for us. I like it!

Posted by: jrnail23 | October 3, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

The Jeff = The Dick

Posted by: keyboard warrior | October 3, 2008 10:26 AM

Hello The Jeff, comment snob of the day. Get a life.

Posted by: Har | October 3, 2008 11:13 AM

Actually, I'm with "The Jeff" on this one. It's getting tiresome reading these posts about whether Rossi will join the USA. He became ineligible last Spring, when he turned 21 -- having already been capped by Italy for junior internationals. He is stuck with his FIFA nationality -- Italy. I hope that works out for him, I guess.

In this thread, there were numerous posts here hoping we could bring in Rossi next -- even though it's no longer possible. Then, there were posts pointing that out to the uninformed. Despite that, Anonymous BE still posted expressing hopes of getting Rossi. I think "The Jeff's" comment was fair, and certainly accurate.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how some people here and in the USSF disregard small players. I understand that size matters but real soccer people know that size matters mostly in the forward and defensive positions. Does anibody remember Maradona (not the Torres is the second coming)? DOes anybody remember Cienfuegos playing for the Galaxy and that was on hhis last years? He was a great midfielder for El Salvador. Some of the best midfielders in soccer history have been short. Remember Richie Williams? In America we have this mentality that big is better. Soccer is different.
I remember one time speaking to an AAU soccer coach in Montgomery telling me how good these two kids were. I asked him how come they haven't been discovered by the powers that be. He said something that back then I took as here is another coach playing the card race (and he wasn't even Hispanic). He said "There are two reasons why Hispanic players in the US are overlooked: 1- the powers that be are looking for more of an 'American' team (which I took as they want to be more inclusive of white and black players). 2- They are not interested in the Latin American style of play. They want to rather emulate the European teams (Germany, England, France, etc.) than the South American teams. The more I see the make up of the US team the more I start to believe that coach. Now, this happened in the late 90's.
I would love to read your opinions. What do you think?

Posted by: Henry71 | October 3, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I want to correct myself before anybody kils me here.
I meant to type "anybody"
I also meant to type "his" with one H not two.
And I also meant to write "the race card"

Posted by: Henry71 | October 3, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

best part of this story is that Christopher Sullivan of FSC got it wrong when he said it "appeared" this kid would choose Meh-hee-co over his native USA.

If I can be allowed to do a Sullivan-esque thing, and throw a gratuitous Spanish word into the sentence, I would just ask: Why is Christopher Sullivan such a culero?

Posted by: furia yanqui | October 3, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Down with Kris-toe-fer O'Sullivan!!!!!!!

Posted by: Max Bretos | October 3, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

i agree with the decision of bob finally looking for the talent in mexico, torres is a good player i like to watch pachuca play and i have seen him score, they better give him a chance that way we dont have to watch all these stiff players on the USA roster
and they need to get rid of Pearce he sux

Posted by: Junior | October 3, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

AL FIN Y AL CABO ES AMERICANO, Y SI NOS QUE SON MÉXICANOS Y CAMPEONES DEL MUNDO PUEDEN CON EL PAQUETE MENOS UN TIPO QUE NO SABE NI QUE IDENTIDAD TIENE, HAY COMO MIL MEJORES QUE EL EN LOS BARRIOS¡¡ NO SE PIERDE NADA AL CONTRARIO HAY AUTENTICOS MEXICANOS QUE AMAN LOS COLORES, EL QUE SI HUBIERA SEGUIDO FUERA EL CUAU O EL BOFO ESOS SI QUE SON CRACKS NO DON NADIE COMO ES ESE LOSSER QUE SE VA A UNA SELECCION QUE SÓLO FUE CREADA PARA GANARLE A MEXICO POR QUE EN LOS MUNDIALES ES UN BULTO ¡¡

CUANDO GANEN UNA COPA LIBERTADORES,SUDAMERICANA O TENGAN ALGUN CAMPEONATO DEL MUNDO PODRAN SOÑAR EN TENER POR LO MENOS CERQUITA O AÑORAR ESTAR AL NIVEL DE MEXICO, O POR LOMENOS GANARLE EN SUEÑOS A BRASIL QUE SERIA SU MAXIMO SUEÑO..... EL SOCCER ES UNA PASIÓN LA CUAL UDS. JAMAS TENDRAN

Posted by: FER | October 4, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

You either nationalizing all the stars attain world to impress, such as Mexico with its soccer, are a regular copy of an attempt to European soccer, game for what it is not only knew trasender to play but needed much more than a dream is a feeling gentlemen, but thanks for doing the most interesting area of CONCACAF that are so unique that it was close to compete

Posted by: all star latino | October 4, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

nice selection rest of the world have, but you can not expect to have an identity as a whole are a nation of immigrants and yet refuse to minorities when they are most valuable to them.

Posted by: hi | October 4, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

el saldria apenas a la banca en mexico, fue una buena eleccion.

Posted by: ray | October 4, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Pobres perdedores verdes, me dan lastima con tanto talento pero sin equipo triunfador. Se acuerda del tanto 1-2?? El unico sitio donde pueden ganarnos es en el Azteca a mil milliones de metros sndm sin oxigeno. Que ganen en DC! Que griten victoria en Columbus! Cuando pueden hacerlo, me callo. Estupidos. Lo unico que tienen es su "identidad" infantil chilladora.

Posted by: rojoblancoyazul | October 4, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Uds. sólo aspiran a eso a tratar de superar a la verde, ya que son unos bultos dentro de la cancha, y para ser infantiles y chillones somos sus idolos jajaja ¡¡ bueno hay cuando tengan un titulo internacional que no sea la devaluada copa oro que pude ganar hasta panama hablamos ok ¡

Posted by: nice | October 4, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

por cierto lean lo que dice la pagina de la fifa, donde se notan las grandes diferiencias simpre hablan de mexico y d e la liga etc., simplemente los lideres de la eliminatoria sudamericana donde estan verdaderos equipos como arg. y brasil juegan es su mayoria en mexico(paraguay) bueno hasta en el ranking creeo que estan bastante abajito de la verde ciaoooo¡¡

Posted by: nice | October 4, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Mejicanos, no pueden negar que desde hace mucho tiempo la USA ha sido tata y nana de ustedes. Hasta Donovan se ha meado en su cancha. Mexico no ha hecho nada y se creen la mejor seleccion, por favor!

Posted by: Henry71 | October 6, 2008 2:23 AM | Report abuse

Hey my name is David and I am Franciscos' cuzin and i have known him all my life. Needless to say he is a great soccer player and a person that has a lot more to offer to the US team. Francisco Torres left to Mexico to play for one of their first division team because he never got the chance he was looking for in the US. He has spent five years in Mexico playing for the team of Pachuca. The United States considered him for the roster at the past 2008 Beijing Olympics which he turned down for unknown reasons to me. He kept contact with the US National Team and he kept being offered the chance to play with the team. Last Thursday (Oct. 2) Torres was called by the Mexican National Team and an invitation was made to join the team from the Coach of the Mexican National Team Sven Goran Eriksson, Torres without hesitation declined this offered. And for the second time was officially offered the chance to play for the US team and said yes to this offer. So yes Torres was considered to play for both countries and opted to play for our National Team. Lets remember that Torres is born to a Mexican father and to an American Mother. Torres was born in Longview Texas (GO LOBOS!!!) and will turn 21 on October 29. His family also inlcudes a younger brother who also plays soccer for the local high school team and a younger sister. Thank You to all the people for supporting Torress and lets hope he can make it big here in the US.

Thanks to All

Posted by: David | October 7, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Jose, Welcome Home! God Bless The USA, you made an awesome decision! Congratulations on your wisdom and talent......and upon you scoring on El Tricolor.........by all means celebrate with all the passion of a Proud American!

Posted by: Joel Perez | October 7, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

dude i know jose he is a badass i played soccer aginst him in highschool and he guest played with my club team in a tournament or 2 he is a cool guy and is unbelivably talented tall or small he should get time out wide as an attackting midfielder or if the us grew balls and played with more forwards mabye and outside forward he has great skill and look forward to watching him work his way up the us ranks and hopefully to a starting spot

Posted by: tim | October 7, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't agree with nationalizing players just so they can play for a national team as did the U.S. with many players...example Thomas Dooley, who did not even speak English when he arrived. I hate that Mexico calls on players who are nationalized Mexican eventhough Mexico doesn't nationalize them just to play. I realize that this is not the case with this kid since he was born in the U.S. In Mexico, the media is upset that someone didn't try to court this kid to play for Mexico, but he was never called to EL TRI. Let's face it...Mexico didn't really want him....no matter what his "cousin" says.

Posted by: bblet | October 9, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

torres realy mest up now! I hate pachuca, but he's going to be a bench warmer on the U.S.!

Posted by: chivas fan! | October 9, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse