Clyde Simms, By the Numbers

D.C. United's industrious midfielder played.....

*2,697 of 2,700 minutes in league matches (99.9 percent)
*315 of 360 minutes in Champions' Cup (87.6)
*345 of 390 minutes in U.S. Open Cup (88.5)
*242 of 270 minutes in SuperLiga (89.6)
*277 of 540 minutes in Champions League (51.3)

In perhaps the most demanding position on the field, Simms finished with 3,876 minutes (64 hours and 36 minutes) out of a possible 4,260, which is 91 percent of the 47-game schedule. Not bad for a player who earned $59,000.

By contrast, the oft-injured DP Marcelo Gallardo ($1.9 million) played.....

*1,161 of 2,700 minutes in league play (43 percent)
*331 of 360 minutes in Champions' Cup (91.9)
*10 of 390 minutes in U.S. Open Cup (3.9)
*0 of 270 minutes in SuperLiga (0)
*0 of 540 minutes in Champions League (0)
Total: 1,502 of 4,260 (35.3)

Back soon with the weekend TV listings.....

By Steve Goff  |  October 31, 2008; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Midday Kickaround
Next: TV, Anyone?

Comments

Per minute... Simms $15.22, Gallardo $1,264.98.

Posted by: Reignking | October 31, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Just out of curiosity -- are there numbers for DCU performance when Clyde is on the field versus when he's not? Obviously, I mean Goals/mins and GA/mins. Given that he played nearly all of the minutes, I'm not sure there would be anything meaningful there, but I'm wondering...

Posted by: fischy | October 31, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Only 51.3 percent of CL time? Ha! Slacker... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | October 31, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Obviously Simms needs to go to see Dr. Hyde over in Germany so he can make the same amount of money but never have to set foot on the field. Have any of this miracle hernia surgeons operations ever had a positive result?

Before we fire Soehn maybe we need to let our team doctor(s) go. How many minutes did Gros and Olsen play this season?

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 31, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Just sad....Extra sad that we have no cover for Clyde.

Posted by: DWE4 | October 31, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Tough guy! With all these games/minutes played, he still managed to stay healthy the whole season. What is he doing that the other aren't?!

Posted by: kris77 | October 31, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Clyde! A few years back he served as a trainer for my son's team. Class act.

That's why I sport the Authentic #19 team jersey...

Posted by: Late2Bass | October 31, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see the same financial comparison (per minute) for Burch, Namoff and McT, vs Peralta and Martinez. Simms is our "iron man" and deserves a big raise!!

Posted by: patrick18 | October 31, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Simms deserves a raise. At the same time, United needs to create more competition for his holding midfield slot. Not because Simms is a bad player, but because the team can't afford to have any player get complacent about maintaining his position in the starting lineup. Plus, giving Clyde a few games off now and then in MLS might actually improve his quality of play.

Joe Vide seems like the best candidate for this challenge. Any other suggestions?

Posted by: SSMD1 | October 31, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I concur the Clyde Simms deserve a raise and am sure he'll get it. I just it's DC that pays him and not another team.

Please stop comparing players' per-minute money. Ben Olsen got paid big time this year without playing. No one can control injury. As long as a player plays well when he's available, that's money well spent.

Posted by: tundey | October 31, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Vide may get his chance at DM. I talked to Clyde at SE Meet the Team Day about his future plans and while he said he'd love to sign a new deal to stay here, Europe is definitely something he will be looking at. I hope he stays but I don't think it's a lock by any means yet.

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | October 31, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | October 31, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Please don't talk about Clyde's iron man status. The next thing we know he'll be on a plane to Germany for groin surgery.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 31, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Being a Richmonder, I've always been proud of how well Simmsy has played for United. Many of us saw him when he played for the Kickers, and knew he was a very talented player.

It would be incredibly embarrassing if United does not offer him a big raise before next season starts.

Posted by: jpeace121 | October 31, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

And to think, w/out the US National Team labor problems (if my memory serves me correct), Clyde may still be playing in Richmond. Talk about being in the right place, at the right time! And he has certainly taken full advantage of his chances! Awesome for him.

Posted by: jrfath | October 31, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm with kris77. Someone should take a look at Clyde's habits and find out why he stayed healthy and the others didn't. It's not just strength and conditioning, either. It's sleep, diet, hydration. Professional athletes with lofty goals have to take everything seriously and can't think for a moment that any aspect of their lives doesn't affect them on the field.

Posted by: spata1 | October 31, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Why did Simms stay healthier? Simple. He's leaner and more flexible. Look at musclebound Martinez -- every time he stretched for a ball he wound up rolling on the ground. Age plays a big part, too. It should be no surprise that Simms didn't have the same injuries that plagued guys in their 30s.

Has nothing to with sleep, diet or hydration. It's youth and flexibility.

Posted by: fischy | October 31, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Simms looking to go abroad takes me back to the sad old days when, after a stellar season, Brian Carroll did the same. He didn't quite make it, and came back shattered (at least that's why I think he played rather poorly afterwards). I don't think Clyde has much of a chance abroad, much as I admire him as a player and individual.

Posted by: b18bolo | October 31, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Why did Simms stay healthier?
============

I think it may be dreds. Beckerman is an ironman too. Maybe the entire team should sport them. Is Crayton capable of dreds?

Posted by: OWNTF | October 31, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Brian Carroll did the same. He didn't quite make it, and came back shattered
==================
Man, there is some wacky stuff on here today. Brian Carroll was the ironman mid for the Supporters Shield winners this year. He played about the same minutes as Simms. If that's "shattered," I'll take three more like him.

Pride and joy and greed and sex
That's what makes our town the best
Pride and joy and dirty dreams and
still surviving on the street
And look at me, I'm in tatters, yeah
I've been battered, what does it matter
Does it matter, uh-huh
Does it matter, uh-huh, I'm a shattered

Posted by: OWNTF | October 31, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Simms has dreadlocks? Funny, I never noticed them under his afro.

Posted by: fischy | October 31, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Simms has dreadlocks? Funny, I never noticed them under his afro.

Posted by: fischy | October 31, 2008 5:44 PM

That's an afro? You, sir, never saw John Giannelli or Artis Gilmore in their heyday.

Posted by: bdwooton | October 31, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else think that maybe Tommy could have tried Clyde as a defender at some point this season??

Posted by: hawknt | October 31, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF, do you ever look beyond "this season"?

In Carrol's last season with United, he was horrible, which was after his trip to Europe to attempt to get a contract over there.

Posted by: alecw81 | October 31, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I did see Artis Gilmore in his heyday. And Dr. J. and Zelmo Beatty. Nothing like the ABA, if you were into hair. Simms' 'fro is tame by 70s standards (in fact, it's short enough that it might not even have been called a 'fro back then), but it stands out these days.

Posted by: fischy | November 1, 2008 3:03 AM | Report abuse

99.9% of league play. That's ridiculous! Thanks for the efforts Clyde.

The $/min analysis is a little bit off though. These guys earn bonuses based on their appearances in Cups and foreign competitions. Simms would have earned more than $59,000 this year

Posted by: DCUMD | November 2, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

99.9% of league play. That's ridiculous! Thanks for the efforts Clyde.

Posted by: DCUMD | November 2, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse