CONCACAF Clarity (Sort Of)

Okay, where are we after five games apiece?

USA, Costa Rica and El Salvador are through to the final round. Congrats to all.

Unless I have miscalcuated.....

Mexico (10 points, +4) is also headed to the next stage unless it loses at Honduras next month by, say, three goals and Jamaica (seven points, -3) beats Canada at home by five goals. If Honduras does beat Mexico, the Catrachos advance. If Honduras (nine points, +3) ties Mexico, Jamaica would have to win by at least six goals to overtake the Hondurans. So the Reggae Boyz are rooting for Mexico to beat Honduras.

Following T&T's win over the USA and Guatemala's shock loss at Cuba, the Soca Warriors only need a tie at home against the Cubans to seal the group's second berth. Guatemala needs to win at the USA and hope T&T loses at home -- ain't happenin'.

Strange as it may sound, the Americans were better off losing tonight. Yes, losing. They'd much rather face T&T twice in the final round than Guatemala. Think about it: No concerns about where to play the home match -- with Guatemala in the mix, you have to choose the venue carefully -- and, let's be honest, a full-strength USA squad would not be troubled on the road in festive Port of Spain against a very mediocre T&T team.

Agreed?

By Steve Goff  |  October 16, 2008; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: USA-T&T
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Agreed. I think both TNT's team and venue present fewer problems for the US.

Posted by: maw | October 16, 2008 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Ummm, not so much. Sounds suspicously like how many were handing the Redskins that win over the Rams before the game. A US 'B' team, made up of 3 'A' players and numerous others many believe should be on the the 'A' team - and all presumably playing to show they belong - manage to lose to a tiny vacationland in a performance that would embarass most high school JV teams. Disgraceful. I don't see how any US team can assume anything in the next round.

Posted by: Hmmm | October 16, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with assuming a full USMNT squad would earn three points in Port-of-Spain.

When T&T has an obvious challenge in front of them, they seem to have an ability to rise and meet that challenge. (Mexico 2005, Bahrain 2005)

Posted by: B.A. | October 16, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

B.A. and HMMM I think Goff is saying, and most would agree, is that the US would rather play T&T.

That is not to say it will be easy, just prefered.

Yes, the US team lost, but let's not read too much into that. The goal Jozy scored that was called offside, was not offside. The linesman also missed another offside call that would have sent the US in on a break. T&T's first goal was fortuitous. The PK, well Jozy should know better than that. He will learn. It was nice to get the youngins out there as a learning experience.

I for one love the fact that Guatemala in all likelihood is not going to the final round.

To steal a thought from Chest R. The simple fact is if the US can't finish in the top 3 of the final round, we don't deserve to go to the WC.

Posted by: steve-o | October 16, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Then why wouldn't every other team in the final group prefer to play T&T rather than Guat? It's not like their thuggish behavior is reserved exclusively for the US. In fact, if Guat is deemed a superior side, wouldn't that benefit the group favorite US in that other teams would be more likely to tie / lose to Guat rather than a team that everyone could presumably handle? In a 6 team group, the chance that either T&T or Guat would advance would be small so why not have a team qualify that would be more likely to take points from other teams rather than the US? Sorry - don't buy your reasoning unless the US exists in a vacuum.

Posted by: Hmmm | October 16, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

"Agreed?"

Whew...glad i wasn't the only one thinking that last night.

I do think it odd though that a youth squad that gels so well at the U-20 level performs so poorly at the senior intl level.

Posted by: adam | October 16, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

But isn't the best part of TnT making it the next round that we get ten more chances to see Kickback Jack take on Roy Keane?

Posted by: Rob | October 16, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

I have a real issue with the fact that writers and fans will now say, "well, had it been the first team", etc.

We missed our best defenders - Boca, Gooch, Cherundolo - because Hejduk, Califf, and Orozco were only ok. The worst player in the back, though, WAS a 1st-teamer - Heath Pearce.

Next, we played 2 regulars - Edu and Kljestan - who were bloody awful. They were so bad that they don't deserve to be called up again (though Edu can be a backup center back, where he belongs). Kljestan has had 2 mediocre games for the US, which everyone praises him for. Yet, the rest of his games, he's looked like a bad high school player.

With Kljestan, Adu, and Altidore, we were off the pace a bit against a fast team. We desperately needed quicker players like Szetela and Davies for the full 90. Adu and Altidore looked fine, but I thought they get very little help up top, which can attributed in part to Bradley's system.

Beasley looked ok, but he continues to show that he has very little touch and passing ability, and zero ability to beat a defender in a 1v1 situation.

And bringing on Rolfe was just a waste. Bradley seems completely inept at making more than 1 sub that will affect a game. If there was any night that lent itself to bringing on 1 or 2 players at half, last night was it. Kljestan and Edu needed to be off the pitch.

Posted by: Ryan | October 16, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Totally agreed. Also, Dwight Yorke is as much of a class act as Jack Warner is a..... something else.

Posted by: Golazo | October 16, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Agreed about Yorke. Watching his interview after the game, I was so impressed listening to someone comfortable in his own skin. His joy from TNT's victory and Cuba's as well, was relayed in good humor and with some self-deprecation, a very class act indeed.

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 16, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Assuming we field a decent team, agree that at least we have the T&T venue issue is an advantage both home and away. While T&T has some fine players, it is a mediocre team and after last night, I don't think that we will ever see a team lineup that can't beat them more handily than Guatamala. Last night showed that we are in some trouble. In international play, you must field players who are used to the speed and pace of the best players coming from the best players in the world. Therefore, we need to bench certain American's until they can prove that they are getting playing time in those leagues. That would include Guzan, Edu, SK, Hejeck etc. It also raises questions about Altidore and anyone else not getting playing time for their clubs. Altidore, Guzan, Convey, Edu need to be loaned out ....Bradley, Dempsey, Adu need playing time as well.

Posted by: Beckster | October 16, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

HMMMM

"Then why wouldn't every other team in the final group prefer to play T&T rather than Guat?"

How do we know they don't? I was looking at past success against both teams, difficulty playing away, etc. There would also be many more Guat fans at the match in the U.S. than there would be for the T&T game in the US.

As for not buying my reasoning, I'm not buying yours. As we have seen in the past, all teams are capable of taking points from one another. Remember friend, these are just opinions.

all this talk is pointless, like I said, there is no reason the US should not finish in the top 3 of that group. US and Mexico should finsh in the top 2. if we don't/can't finish in the top 3, we don't deserve to go.

Posted by: steve-o | October 16, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I am glad we don't have to make the trip down to guatemala and worry about making it out of there without suffering serious injuries, or being goaded into accumulating yellow or red cards.

Would much rather see 2 actual soccer games next round against t&t than ultimate fighting matches against guatemala.

Posted by: pat | October 16, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Edu killed us last night. I've said it many times. Bradley still believes you can get by with a holding mid who is essentially a 5th defender. That holding mid needs to be a gifted attacking player and distributor of the ball. Edu is not that. Maybe he will be some day, he's still young. But he's not that yet.

Also, why do you go into T&T and play what is essentially a 4-5-1? Lame. Instead of playing Freddy as a withdrawn forward, drop him into the mids and put two forwards in front of him.

And while I'm on the topic, Freddy needs to play every minute of every national team game. It baffles me that he still is a second option, that he is still playing at forward instead of attacking mid, and that Bradley still subs him out as the first sub. He clearly holds the ball better, sees the fields better, and goes forward better than any other player in our player pool.

Posted by: Matte | October 16, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Not agreed--Guatemala's offense is woeful. Ruiz is on a downward slide.

Kenwyne Jones (whe he gets healthy) is a better forward than anyone we have.

T&T has a potential game-changer, Guat has mostly hacks.

Posted by: Shmenge | October 16, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, we all know that the fix was in last night, and that Jack had "ensured" that "his" team would prosper.... ;)

Posted by: 22206 | October 16, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Amazed that Guzan has not played more then 1 real game since approx. August and Perkins has played every minute of every game - and still doesn't get to play - Guzan bobbled every ball he touched last night. We better hope that if Guzan is #2 that Tim Howard never goes down. A goalkeeper can not get better sitting on the bench and that's were Guzan will be most of the year behind Brad F.

Posted by: DP | October 16, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree and said so on Matchnight last night. T&T match would be an attractive match at RFK. A match against Mexico, Honduras or El Salvedor would almost be an away match for USA.

Posted by: Nine | October 16, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow did we miss Donovan.

As a DC-based soccer fan I am happy to see T&T advance over them. This greatly increases the chances of DC getting a hexagonal game.

Posted by: Colin | October 16, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Honestly Mexico was fortunate to get a draw last night. Both Stalteri and Radzinski missed late chances by inches to win the game for Canada.

Sven as I suspected months ago when he was hired was a bad fit for an intensely nationalistic nation and young but talented team. The FMF will not fire him but they would have been much better off finding a Mexican coach.

Posted by: Kartik | October 16, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

@ Shmenge Agree that T&T is better then the Guats but the Guats are a totle pain in the shins to play home or away. T&T is likeable. Maybe we can do them a solid in the next round and prevent another pain in the shin from advancing.

Posted by: Nine | October 16, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

The steel drum National Anthem was AWESOME!

Posted by: Josh | October 16, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

If this were the European system where you need to finish first or second, then I think the logic of which team is relatively worse for CR or Mex compared to us matters.

But I think since the USA just has to finish in the top 3 out of six, that Goff is right. What happens to Mex/CR vs Tnt/Guat shouldn't concern us.

Posted by: dabes2 | October 16, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

So who did Jack Warner pay off to get the US B team?

With the Phillies (and the debate) on last night, I totally forgot about the US game. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

agreed.

Posted by: mizage | October 16, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

It always sucks to lose, but I'm not particularly surprised. The Soca Warriors are a solid, veteran team. They were playing at home and in desperate need of a result. We, on the other hand, trotted out a makeshift and very, very young lineup. Add in a little bad luck (Latapy's goal missing the target but rebounding in off the back of Guzan's head), piss poor work by the linesmen (the offsides call disqualifying Altidore's goal was outrageous), and a brain fart by the youngest player on the field (Altidore's jersey tug) and a 2-1 result isn't too hard to swallow.

Amazing to see some folks here whining that we're in trouble. We stamped our ticket to the Hex with two games to spare. Mexico, meanwhile, has left it 'til the very last game. Now THAT's trouble. We're fine.

And, yes, we'd much rather see the Soca Warriors in the Hex than Guatemala. That's a no brainer.

Posted by: Reston, Va. | October 16, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. But we shouldn't underestimate T&T fans all over the US flying to the hexagonal in the US, especially if they have a fighting chance at the the 3 or 3.5 slot. Remember Jamaica 98?

The steel pan national anthems were brought to you by the Ministry of Tourism :-) . I liked it. Part of the fun is experiencing the local culture.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

While I agree that every team in the Hex benefits from playing T&T rather than Guat, the U.S. enjoys particular advantages: 1) the lack of a huge T&T fan base in the States makes scheduling a home match easier; 2) the environment in T&T, with a decent field and a festive, not hostile, atmosphere, makes the road match easier for Team USA. I don't think Guat or Honduras or Mexico care when they play each other on the road, they are used to that enviroment of bottle throwing and fans right on top of you and a crappy field. But it is different for the U.S. team, and we struggle under those adverse conditions. Just look at how we played at Cuba, a much weaker team, compared to last night. Even though Cuba was a win and last night was a loss, I thought our performance in T&T was better than that in Havana -- our possession and comfort looked much better.

Posted by: J | October 16, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Aye, aye Captain!
What does the crowd have to do with the performance of the team anyway?:-)

Posted by: dadryan | October 16, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

steve-o,

I would agree with the sentiment that the USMNT would rather play T & T than Guatemala, but only if that team allowed themselves to think in such terms.

I personally don't believe in caring about the name of the opposition (except DCU vs. Chicago Fire in the MLS Playoffs; I've been psychologically beaten there over the years).

Anyways, I was disagreeing that the "honest" logic dictates that the full national team would not be troubled in Port-of-Spain. I think -- especially if Yorke and Latapy stay with the Soca Warriors through their potential Hex run -- that that matchup would be surprisingly difficult for the USMNT.

I would, however, agree that the loss may have been a good thing for the team. This defeat -- in a relatively friendly atmosphere -- will not have significantly psychologically damaged the confidence of the younger players.

Except Adu. He does not seem to enjoy being subbed out of matches. Then again, who does?

Posted by: B.A. | October 16, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Anything to avoid having to travel to another match deep in the jungle primeval, near where they grow the the merciless peppers of Quetzaltenango.

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 16, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I guess I'm easy, but I was so anxious to see a bunch of these guys play that I'm ok with the outcome. Definitely some things to improve on, but some good stuff as well.

One observation about the comments here -- is there any other sport that generates such a difference of opinion on each and every player? I can read blogs about football, basketball, baseball and most folks agree on who played well and who didn't. Soccer seems to generate the wildest swings in opinion I've ever seen. It's truly amazing. Sometimes I wonder if we all watched the same match...

Posted by: teamn | October 16, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I think everyone can agree that Edu was terrible (emabarrsingly so) and that Altidore missed a very easy goal that should have tied it up.

I didn't think it was an embarassingly bad game, but I wasn't very impressed by anyone.

Posted by: john | October 16, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

First, when did US fans turn into Statler and Waldorf after matches? Jeez, it was a poor match last night. I don't think anyone distinguished themselves on a hard and fast pitch (seriously, it looked like they were kicking down a hill). The US players seemed to be in friendly mode, I like to see them play well all the time, but they're through to the final round and that's all that matters.

Second, where should the hexagonal home matches be played??

Mexico - Columbus
Trinidad - Red Bull Arena, depending on schedule?
Costa Rica - Chicago
El Salvador - Seattle
Honduras or Jamaica - Birmingham or HDC

Yeah, I left out RFK, it's a dump and I think we had our match last week. Thoughts?

Posted by: Kev | October 16, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

RE: Statler and Waldorf. Nice!

Why do we always come here?
I guess we'll never know.
It's like a kind of torture,
To have to watch this show.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Did Jack Warner pay off Jozy Altidore? ...missed header...blatant shirt tug...

hmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: Drew-ROC | October 16, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

And as far as playing T&T in Red Bull arena, no. Lot's of T&T folks live in the NY area. Add DC to the mix and they'll outnumber us. How about Dick's?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I was saying all along that T&T is a much better team to have in the Hex than Guat. Not that Guatemala is any good, but if the next round away matches consist of Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras and El Salvador - those are places that are generally very difficult to play and we're almost certain to lose a game, a player to suspension and a player to injury. T&T meanwhile always lies down against us as home and I have no trouble believing a US team with the mind-set of needing to win a game down there could without a problem. Christ, T&T might be the oldest team I've ever seen. Next year's another year on that age number.

As for home venues, I really hope US Soccer would go back to Salt Lake or Portland. Those places were great HOME qualifying venues with passionate, knowledgable fans. It was a big game and they treated it as so. I'd prefer the only east coast venue to be RFK, assuming it's not vs Central American opposition. NYC? Come on, they only show up if Messi's playing. Give love to the places that have been good to you

Posted by: bryan | October 16, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Plus, I'd rather take a trip to T&T to watch and away game than take a trip to central america and get kidnapped.

There were two terrible offside calls against the US that would have resulted in goals and, at least, a 2-0 lead. Edu was awful, but the guys didn't play quite that badly. Anyway, who really cares? Good for T&T. They have cool fans.

Posted by: Hacksaw | October 16, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2008 10:52 AM

Well we played T&T in Hartford last time around, got a good crowd and a 1-nil win. I don't think it's a big deal to have that match in the Northeast corridor. Trinidad & Tobago is a pretty small country, so their ex-pats shouldn't really take over a stadium. I don't think that the federation schedules matches strategically to avoid away fans unless we are playing Mexico, El Salvador or perhaps other Central American countries.

I think Red Bull Park will be a gem, and if they can finish the thing next summer it should have a qualifier. This might be blasphemous, but I'd rather take the train up there to see a match in a nice stadium than have another qualifier here. The DC Sports & Entertainment Commission simply does not deserve more business, in my opinion.

Posted by: Kev | October 16, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Not agreed--Guatemala's offense is woeful. Ruiz is on a downward slide.

Kenwyne Jones (whe he gets healthy) is a better forward than anyone we have.

T&T has a potential game-changer, Guat has mostly hacks.

Posted by: Shmenge | October 16, 2008 8:33 AM

STRONGLY AGREED.

the bias on this board is ridiculous, have you seen the USMT play? can the US please get just ONE quality player who demands respect overseas. Guatemala's dirty players will break someone's leg, but the real discussion here is Honduras potentially not comign through. When playing right they are the one team that can threaten the US-Mexico hold on top concacaf.

Posted by: greginho | October 16, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Cuauhtemoc Blanco may have a different opinion about the gentlemanly nature of T&T's soccer players vis-a-vis the Guatemalans.

Injuries and chippy games can occur against just about any Concacaf hex opponent.

But it's good that we might avoid a road trip to Guatemala. I probably don't have to remind most of you that Jack Edwards informed us that the stadiums down there are in the jungle and below sea level. Plus I seem to remember hearing, a few years back, that their military dictatorships were kept busy fighting dangerous subversive gorillas.

Who needs THAT?

Posted by: garbaggio | October 16, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Agreed... I think Jamaica getting in would be better for the US too. Better chance for a good home crowd. As for playing against latinos... let's do Hawaii or Alaska.

Posted by: Robert | October 16, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: garbaggio | October 16, 2008 11:47 AM

Hmmm, would you say that climbing the ladder is essential to success there? In full internationals? ;-)

Posted by: Kev | October 16, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

EL SALVADOR! Can't wait for the next round to begin.

I hope USA decides to play El Salvador here in DC lol...Realistically I see USA taking ES to Gillete Stadium...

Either way, I hope CONCACAF continues to sleep on us...we will be a pleasent surprise in the next round :).

Posted by: ES | October 16, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I saw the Guatemala game (it was before ES)...those guys have BAD luck lol.

They hit post FOUR times throughout the game and Cuba just converted on the few chances they had.

I think it's safe to say that Trinidad will advance over Guatemala.

Also...Mexico will have BIG problems on the road next round...They will NOT win in Central America...USA will sweep them...it will fun to see Mexico suffer lol.

Posted by: ES | October 16, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

With all the talk about Caribbean nations not posing the same home field disadvantage problem for us that Mexico and Central American nations do, we would be wise to remember the WC98 qualifier against Jamaica at RFK.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Here's a vote for definitely NOT having a T&T game in the New York area. That would be like an away game. There might be more T&T fans there than in Port of Spain. If the arena is ready in time for a qualifier, make it the Costa Rica game. I mean, it would be nice for all the Trinidadians in New York, but we're in this to win it.

In fact, I don't even agree with the meme here that we should prefer T&T to Guatemala. Official stats put the number of Trinidadians at less than half the number of Guatemalans in this country, but still.... And, I think T&T are a better team.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 16, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

So you're saying that all these Trinidadians that were not in Hartford will somehow flood into New Jersey? It's not like we'd be playing the Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico in baseball at Yankee Stadium :-)

Posted by: Kev | October 16, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Brian Carroll should have been subbed in for Edu at the start of the 2nd half.

He's a good player and rightly deserves a shot . . . particularly when Edu had his head up his arse.

Posted by: delantero | October 16, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@ Kev. Yes. Hartford is hours from the city. Not accessible except by car. Most Trinidadians live in Brooklyn and Queens, and the majority probably do not have cars. Getting to Giants Stadium is a hassle without a car, but it's doable. And there would be plenty of charter buses, too. Look, it would make for a great atmosphere, but do we want to have that many fans rooting for the other team?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 16, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, not Giants Stadium, Red Bull Arena - which actually will be easier to get to via public transport ;-)

Posted by: Kev | October 16, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

My suggestion for one Hex home match:

Play Mexico at Gillette Stadium. In February. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 16, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

.........................................

Dangerous? Dian Fossey must be turning over in her grave.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 16, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

:-)
I would hardly call the gorillas dangerous. After all, Atlanta finished 3rd from the bottom of the USL.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Who needs THAT?

Posted by: garbaggio
-------------------------------

huh? Guatemala City is at almost 5,000 feet. And they've been a democracy since 1995 or thereabouts (long enough ago that I don't remember the date). And gorillas live in Africa ;-)

Or you could be kidding and I just missed it. My sense of humor is misfiring these days...

Posted by: troy | October 16, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

TT are much more classier players than Guat. Much rather play TT, they will be hard games but TT will not go out of their way and try and provoke us into fights. Or just foul us for no reason at all.

Posted by: Bob | October 16, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I hate to tell everyone this, but two of Altidore's goals were taken away by offsides calls that were erroneous. That said we would have won the game last night with our B side. I do believe that Pearce got exposed, but the by Latapy was also Califf's fault for ball watching and not marking. Also Goff could not be more right about his comments. T&T is a much easier opponent and we don't have to worry about our players being hacked to death in Guatemala.

Posted by: Qualifiers | October 16, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Nobody here comments on the weak play of Torres vs T&T, he did nothing and honestly the lineup Bob put together was crap. Sascha should not be in the midfield I would have much rather seen Szetela if your going to play a 4-5-1. T&T barely won the game they gave it their all not so sure the Americans did the same. T&T is good but do you really sweat them? Guat is much scrappier and they really gave our A team a game. Watch the tape Jozy did not need to hold his mark, he was already covered by center back coming around the top.
Agree on these sites Kev but 2 notes-never play Hon in HDC and move T&T to Dicks make the travel

Mexico - Columbus
Trinidad - Red Bull Arena, depending on schedule?
Costa Rica - Chicago