Crayton's Mail

DCU goalkeeper Louis Crayton, the target of racially insensitive remarks made by a Houston supporter on Sunday, said he has been overwhelmed with apologies and kind comments from the Dynamo and its fans. The number of e-mails has surpassed 150, including one from Dynamo Coach Dominic Kinnear, and he also received a letter shipped overnight from Houston President Oliver Luck.

"I am very happy for the step the Houston fans and authority have taken. It was a situation that should never happen to anybody. I appreciate the response. It would make anyone feel better that they are against what happened, and that is very important because we are all created equal. No matter what happens, your color, your race, it doesn't make you better than anybody."

Crayton said on United's behindthebadge.com that he also received "a heartfelt letter from the man that confronted me after the game and said some very hurtful things. I accept his apology and hope that this incident helps us all move forward together in the future."

By Steve Goff  |  October 15, 2008; 1:40 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Memories of Danilo
Next: MLS Expansion List

Comments

he may have apologized to Crayton, but his true colors have been shown. Nice to see Louis take the high road.

Thanks to all those good Houston fans as well!!

Posted by: steve-o | October 15, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

class from the Houston front office and fans. good to see.

I hope this incident can serve to help the 'fan' take a long hard look at himself, and what the standards for adult behavior in this society are.

Posted by: northzax | October 15, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"...that is very important because we are all created equal. No matter what happens, your color, your race, it doesn't make you better than anybody."

Amen, Brother.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 15, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Crayton's a pretty impressive guy, no? I'd say the important thing is that the guy offered a personal apology. Should that mean absolution and dissolution of his ban? Probably not, but it should be really welcome. Unfortunately, that apology won't get anything like the attention the original incident got.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 15, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to the Houston organization, their fans and The Fan. It would've been better had it never happened of course, but that's exactly how something like this should be handled. It's particularly nice, and I suspect meaningful to Crayton, to hear the culprit chose to own up to his actions and take responsibility.

Kudos to Crayton too - I think he's shown real poise. He didn't just go clock the guy in a rage and shows grace in accepting the man's apology.

Good to see some stocks are going up!

Posted by: Kire | October 15, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to see some sort of follow up on the incident with these new developments brought to light over on ESPN.com.
There sure were a mess of lame comments over there on this...
Hat's off to Houston for doing the right thing.
Thanks for the update Steve.

Posted by: dadryan | October 15, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Pure class. Houston is a classy organization with very classy fans. I hung out with some houston fans during MLS cup final last year and rooted alongside them :)

Posted by: GoUnited | October 15, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Houston done good, as they say.

As for The Fan, I bet it is tough to write when you have some sort of foreign object lodged in your backside that is "helping you" decide to write that letter.... ;)

Posted by: 22206 | October 15, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

meh.....I would have dropped kick that silly muppet

Posted by: Cantona | October 15, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Stay classy, Houston.

Posted by: RK | October 15, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"". I hung out with some houston fans during MLS cup final last year and rooted alongside them :)""
>>>

Well, they were playing Goldenboots Twellman and the Revs. Deciding which team to root for wasn't too hard!

Cheers to the Dynamo for their response.

Posted by: delantero | October 15, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"... I accept his apology and hope that this incident helps us all move forward together in the future." - Louis Crayton

I don't think it's possible for one to have handled this situation with more grace than was shown by Mr. Crayton.

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | October 15, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Well done Houston FO and fans. Some of the fans also posted first class comments on Soccer Insider.

Let's hope that no team nor its fans are ever put in a position like that again.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 15, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the fan was FORCED TO write this letter, seriously the ban and a fine is the most anyone can be forced on. everyone jumps out and condems this fan, while he clearly understands what he did was wrong and he is paying for it. IT DOES not make it right, but you all have no right to start judgeing, it makes you no better than he was for his name calling. Why don't we act as classy as crayton and accept his apology and stop talking about drop kicking anyone.

Posted by: dc fan | October 15, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Even as a Revs fan, I have a deep respect for Houston. Good for them.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"everyone jumps out and condems this fan, while he clearly understands what he did was wrong and he is paying for it. IT DOES not make it right, but you all have no right to start judgeing, it makes you no better than he was for his name calling. Why don't we act as classy as crayton and accept his apology and stop talking about drop kicking anyone."

Got to agree with this.

People who learn racism can unlearn racism. I applaud Crayton for his grace, but I also applaud this fan for apparently looking within and acknowledging something lacking.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | October 15, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I applaud you as a Man, and respect you as a player. I was taught a long time ago that there are a few things that only the almighty can take from you and basic Human respect and decency are one of them. I just wish you were able to catch up with him, look him in the eyes and ask why he thought he was better than you. Please dont lose your emotion and love for this club or leauge, you are a great additon betwen the posts.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Crayton's passion for the game, his sense of justice, and his willingness to own up to his mistakes should make him a candidate for team captain one day. We're a better team because of you, and we're better fans too. Long may you run.

Posted by: David | October 15, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I said it before with the original story, and will say it again now:

Louis Crayton can me my goalkeeper any second of the day.

Posted by: Jacob | October 15, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Classy. Very classy.

Houston now becomes the team of my support after DCU.

Posted by: PotomacBoater | October 15, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I just like that Jesse Jackson and Rev.Al Sharpton didn't get involved. Soccer haters!
Maybe Maya Angelou will write a poem about the whole thing.

I hope all MLS owners paid attention to Houston on how to deal with matters like this. Kudos to the fans too.

Posted by: EastLAChiva | October 15, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

EastLaChivas, you also forgot Jim Rome.

Posted by: Asher | October 15, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Think it was classy that Kinnear sent an email. Houston did handle this well. Glad to see the support for Louis.

Posted by: Krista | October 15, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

The Houston franchise and their fns have shown their class. Again.

Louis--what can you say??? The guy has be exemplary in how he had handled the things. I hope that I could do the same.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 16, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

With NBA players starting brawls in the stands, and racism abound in professional sports I'm glad to see there is one league that is handling these types of situations with respect and dignity. All sides should be commended for the way this was handled.

Posted by: beltwayrob | October 16, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse