For Quaranta, a Special Day

On Thursday evening, while most of D.C. United's players, coaches and front office folks were home preparing to watch the critical New York-Chicago match on ESPN2, Santino Quaranta was surrounded by two-dozen friends and family members at Chiapparelli's restaurante in Baltimore's Little Italy.

The gathering was organized by his wife, Petrina, to mark his one year of sobriety from alcohol and drugs.

"At that time last year, I was flying out to California" to enter a rehab and counseling center, Quaranta said. "For me, it was just another day as part of this process. But for them, they are amazed how far I've come. My mom was crying. It showed me how much I affected everybody when I was going through all my problems. I didn't really know early on, but now I do."

Quaranta continues to attend meetings twice a week for people fighting addiction and speaks daily with his Baltimore-based sponsor. "My routine every day has not changed," he said. "But with the offseason coming, I can attend more meetings, not have to worry about the travel, and get more involved with people. ...

"I have never been in such a place in life like this. There is no drink or drug that can replace what I am doing and how I feel now."

He also had some family news to share: A second child is due in May.

By Steve Goff  |  October 24, 2008; 5:26 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TV, Anyone?
Next: Payne Penalized

Comments

good for Tino!!

Posted by: torrey151 | October 24, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic accomplishment and the soccer is coming along nicely as well. Congratulations!

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 24, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Great news, very happy for Tino.

Posted by: Section117 | October 24, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Tino -- you look mahvellous....

Posted by: fischy | October 24, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Steve.

Congratulations to Tino and Petrina!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 24, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

those Little Italy places tend to be pretty free-flowing with the wine, don't they? careful, Tino!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 24, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Kudos, Tino! Keep it up and all of your potential will be accomplished!

Posted by: SoyUnited | October 24, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Good for front office, taking a risk on a player who hadn't done much to then to warrant it. Good for Ben Olsen, by Goff's earlier report he was a mensch. Good for Mr. Goff for initial and continuing coverage. But most of all good for Mr. and Mrs. Q. I hope his offseason is delayed by a few more weeks . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | October 24, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Awesome.

Posted by: Colm1 | October 24, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Well Done Tino! Congrats on both!

Posted by: Shanoni | October 24, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Tino! Excellent work, and never give up.

Posted by: forpat | October 24, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations.

Posted by: B_A_ | October 24, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Great to hear. Congratulations to Tino for his personal growth over the past year, and to the whole Quaranta family for the new addition.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 24, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Tino,

Keep up the good work. You are helping others. Great season.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 24, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Tino! Keep up the good work.. we're all behind you :)

Posted by: JB252 | October 24, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

It's a great, heartwarming story that deserves a larger audience. There are young people, many of them pro athletes from other sports earining lavish salaries, who are no doubt in the throes of addiction now or in grave danger of falling into the trap. I hope Tino's story can reach them.

Posted by: b18bolo | October 24, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Bravo santino...as a person who has entered recovery recently, you inspire me, no matter what your age is, keep doing what works...

Posted by: jbfromfc | October 24, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

San is one of my favorite players and favorite person in general. What he has done is amazing. Anyone who can overcome any addiction has a great character.

Thank goodness he has done well professionally and personally. Congrats to him and his family for making it to a year. Hope he will continue to grow as a player and a person. :)

Posted by: malartach | October 24, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Tino,

Keep your head down, focus on the ball, breathe, and put it in the back of the net!

Posted by: delantero | October 24, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

much love tino.

Posted by: jdickinson187 | October 25, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

April showers bring May flowers!
All the above posts reflect my thoughts for Quaranta's family and friends better than I could say it myself.
Win, lose, or draw on Sunday I'm still here rootin' for you bamas!

Posted by: DadRyan | October 25, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Big time Congratulations for Tino. A year is a very solid milestone and indicates a good probability for continued success.
All the best to a truly reborn individual.

Posted by: DCUinCT | October 25, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

It works if you work it, Santino. Keep up the hard work on, and more importantly, off the field.

Posted by: raymonddevenney | October 25, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Fine choice of establishments to celebrate. Jerry Chip would be proud.

Posted by: beach3 | October 25, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Tino! It is great to see your life headed in such a positive and wonderful direction.

Posted by: Golden_Child | October 26, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse