Joe the Keeper

Never mind this guy. (Are his 15 minutes up yet?)

Let's talk about San Jose's Joe Cannon, perhaps the best keeper in MLS history. The reason I bring up his name is because, with the final list of players' salaries now available, Cannon is, deservedly, the top-paid goalie in MLS.

Nine keepers are paid at a rate that guarantees them more than $100,000 over the course of a season, topped by Cannon at $213,000.

The others:

2. Louis Crayton, D.C. United: $175,857
3. Pat Onstad, Houston: $173,000
4. Matt Reis, New England: $161,250
5. Greg Sutton, Toronto: $157,562
6. Kevin Hartman, Kansas City: $150,000
7. Dario Sala, Dallas: $139,875
8. Jon Conway, New York: $115,000
9. Chris Seitz, Real Salt Lake: $105,500

Interestingly, two of the most impressive keepers this year are not in that group:

Jon Busch, Chicago: $81,250
Will Hesmer, Columbus: $70,000

A few explanations are necessary:

Crayton's "salary" is what he would've made had he played the entire season in MLS. For now, he is on a monthly pay schedule of about $14,000.

Seitz is a Generation Adidas player and does not count against RSL's salary cap. In addition, his base salary is $70,000, with the balance of his paycheck, I assume, coming from bonuses he received for deciding to leave Maryland early and sign with MLS before last season.

Who do you think is the top keeper in MLS this season?

By Steve Goff  |  October 16, 2008; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Matchnight: United-Revolution

Comments

LOUIS CRAYTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Na, but seriously...I hate to admit that it is probably Matt Reis...

Posted by: Asher | October 16, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone list a goalkeeper that has a future with the US mens team? Not someone over the age of 28 and that is currently in MLS? Nobody comes to mind nor does anyone stick out imho....Where's the next Tim Howard

Posted by: glove | October 16, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

i saw no consistency this season with any of the goalies, there were some rookie mistakes from veterans, and some serious bungles from young stars, it has not been a good season for keepers, if anyone deserves some props, its will hesmer, playing behind a great team in c-bus definitely helps

Posted by: meh | October 16, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Holy smokes, seitz is making nice coin for being an eternal bench warmer. How do I get a gig like that?

Posted by: Barca FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!! | October 16, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Man is Greg Sutton getting paid considering that he moved up from the USL1. Talk about a salary bump.

John Busch's agent needs to try and get the dude some more coin during the offseason or try and get him transferred to Europe. He's paid his dues. A-League & MLS. He has to wanting a bigger slice of the pie.

Hesmer's agent is gonna be looking for more, as well.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 16, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@glove,

I think there's this kid, Brad Guzan, at Aston Villa.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | October 16, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree with glove's question.

MLS goalkeeping has been weaker than usual this season. Maybe Seitz can be the next Keller/Friedel caliber keeper but how can we tell if he doesn't ever play?

Crayton has worried me after a good start. He has different strengths and weaknesses than Zach Wells but I'm not convinced keeper is DC's answer between the posts. Crayton was very lucky to get away with the handball outside the area to break up Houston's attack in the 2nd half last weekend.

Posted by: garbaggio | October 16, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Shoulda wrote:

I'm not convinced CRAYTON is DC's answer between the goalposts...

Posted by: garbaggio | October 16, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

John Busch has done a pretty solid job this season. Behind Zach Wells of course:-B

Posted by: dadryan | October 16, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I think Conway must be one of the worst starting goalkeepers in the history of MLS. How this guy negotiated that much money out of Red Bulls amazes me.

Posted by: Jon Conway Sucks | October 16, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

It's not the case that Conway sucks, it's more like the Red Bulls defense sucks. Look who they traded away in the recent past: Wynne, Dunivant, and Freeman. Any of these guys would be an upgrade here on our team. Their outside backs were not the issue but
the central defense stinks.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | October 16, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

How about Rimando, he's having a great year

Posted by: Matt | October 16, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

As much as I hate to say it, Jon Busch, by far. He is the only one I have watched this year that continues to wow me!

Posted by: kris | October 16, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@glove - sorry - I scanned over the IN MLS bit.

I think the US is capably served with it's current rotation of keepers for awhile. If there's one position we don't fail to produce talent at as a nation - it's that one. While MLS is a bit depleted right now in terms of young and upcoming talent, fear not. It too shall rise.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | October 16, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

A few weeks ago, I thought it was a tough call between Busch and Hesmer, but Hesmer over the past month or so has made some really bad decisions on crosses (gotten away with it most of the time, but he was still in no man's land). As a result, I'd say Busch. He and Conde organize the toughest defense in MLS, and he's come up with some big saves when they let someone through. I hesitate to say he's been brilliant (a la Cannon's seasons in Colorado, single-handedly dragging hapless Rapids squads into the playoffs), but he's been the best in MLS this season.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 16, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Jon Conway would've done worse than Zach Wells if he were with DC. He's 6' 6, doesn't come for crosses, sloppy hands, and poor judgement when coming for through balls. Distribution is not much to brag of either. Out of all the goalkeepers on that list, he's by far the worst. And what has he done in a game to maintain the starting spot? Any other GK for Red Bulls (BOSS!, Cepero and Patterson) should've deserved at least a string of games as the season progressed.

Posted by: Jon Conway Sucks | October 16, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Best keeper. Zach Wells. See? They're not in the same sentence.

Posted by: DWE4 | October 16, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glove | October 16, 2008 12:55 PM
-------------------------------------------
What about that Dominic Cervi kid? He was without a club a month or two ago. I don't know if he actually signed with Celtic or not. Bradley had him on the Barbados roster and he had been with the U-23'2 and U-20's if I recall correctly...

Posted by: yankiboy | October 16, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

+1 to Busch. His record would be better if Chicago was more consistent offensively. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

Posted by: Section 130 | October 16, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Chris Seitz is 21. Keepers dont enter their "prime" until around 25. Let the kid develop. He's the heir apparent to Howard/Guzan. He will be in Euorpe soon anyways.

Posted by: strago | October 16, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Thinking about Cannon or seeing his name is painful... as it harkens back to the pre season when it looked like we would get him but MLS "conspired" to block the trade.

But I agree he has consistently been one of the top keepers and steady between the pipes.

As for best keeper... What happened to Condoul... isn't it Bouna time?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Crayton is dramatically overpaid. Sorry, but the guy just shouldn't be starting for any MLS team, let alone DC. Not that Wells should be starting either...I'm just saying. They're both subpar. Crayton just makes way more.

Posted by: DC in LA | October 16, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Has Joe Cannon ever started a full U.S. national team game? If not, why not? Too much competition from the Euro-based players, or is there more to the story?

Posted by: SSMD | October 16, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Seitz at 100k -- no wonder Cervi wanted more than 30k.

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't DCU interested in Seitz awhile back? Is that still a possibility?

Posted by: Amanda | October 16, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Makes one wonder what Troy Perkins was asking for?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

If I recall correctly Perkins is only making around 200k a year in Norway per Goff's report.

Posted by: strago | October 16, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Keller is gonna make around $350,000 next year.

Posted by: the jim | October 16, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

He only started 7 games so far this season, but Dan Kennedy has been having some pretty impressive performances for Chivas USA lately.

Posted by: MD | October 16, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Who has the least amount of hair?

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

ZACH WELLS!

Posted by: bristol | October 16, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think Crayton has been in the top half of goalies, at least

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: strago | October 16, 2008 2:59 PM

Really? I thought was $450-500? But I have no idea now why I thought that.

SG any help here?

Posted by: JkR | October 16, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Best keeper hands down Zach Wells.

haha

Crayton is head and shoulders above anybody in the league.

Posted by: bobf | October 16, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

i thought rimando would be be somewhere up there. He's been around for a while.

Posted by: christiannn | October 16, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: strago | October 16, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I like Crayton's spirit and agressiveness, but it strikes me as odd that he is second on that list.

Posted by: regular fan | October 16, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Busch has been good, but I've been more impressed with Hesmer. He gets my vote.

I do still wish we'd gotten Cannon. Would have been a different year. Trading Boswell for Cannon made sense. In retrospect, not sure anyone would say that about getting Wells for Boz.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 16, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Dan Kennedy in my mind is the in form Keeper at the moment. IF there was anyone I would want on my team it would be him. Pat Onstead is Mr. reliable, But Will Hesmer has had a very good season and giets my vote for best keeper over the entire season.

Posted by: Dakeeper | October 17, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse