Late-Morning Kickaround

*Fabio Capello names his England squad for upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

*Poland seems to have settled its internal problems. Speaking of Poles, was that Peter Nowak wandering around the D.C. United locker room after Saturday night's game? Why yes, it was. Calm down, he was just in town early before USA training camp opens.

*The Vancouver Whitecaps will host the USL1 championship game after overcoming Montreal in the two-game semifinal series. Their opponent Sunday will be Puerto Rico, which needed overtime to oust Rochester.

*Bizarre college game: Maryland was leading Clemson, 2-1, when the Tigers scored the equalizer in the 73rd minute. The Terps responded just under three minutes later to reclaim the lead. Clemson then proceeded to score three goals in 83 seconds, two by reserve Michael Brooks, who finished with four goals, to claim a 5-3 victory. Maryland (7-3) has yielded nine goals in its last two ACC games.

Soccer America's top 10 (men): 1. Wake Forest; 2. Creighton; 3. Akron; 4. Illinois-Chicago; 5. Northwestern; 6. Saint Louis; 7. Louisville; 8. St. John's; 9. Cal; 10. South Florida.

Soccer America's top 10 (women): 1. Notre Dame; 2. Stanford; 3. UCLA; 4. Portland; 5. Southern Cal; 6. North Carolina; 7. Virginia; 8. Texas A&M; 9. Texas; 10. Florida.

*Women's Professional Soccer will conduct its general draft at 2 p.m. ET today, with players such as Brandi Chastain and Briana Scurry expected to be in the mix. There are four rounds. Washington has the first and third overall picks after a trade with St. Louis. Follow it here.

The latest from the Special One, It and the Boy:

By Steve Goff  |  October 6, 2008; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , USL , Women , World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Club and Country
Next: Gallardo Out for Season

Comments

Shut up, Houston...

LOL

Why is Capello still calling up Beckham for these matches?

Posted by: JkR | October 6, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

UVA women moving up steadily and their top goal scorer is Megan Lengzek of McLean - more coverage warranted?

On the MNT - playing time is a big issue for Bradley's midfielders. Going to be bigger when MLS winds down. They are the only ones playing.

Posted by: Beckster | October 6, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I'm not impugning Beckham, I'm wondering why fly him across the planet for (who are they playing? Crapistan?) when they have some youngsters who are more likely to feature in 2010?

Posted by: JkR | October 6, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Crapistan?

Posted by: dadryan | October 6, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

England - Kazakhstan. And with a bit of luck, OWNTF will be in the house.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Wonder what kind of conversations took place after the game between Chang/McFarlane and Piotr...

Posted by: strago | October 6, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

They fly Beckham to make benefit for Kazakhstan's most glorious football.

Posted by: Borat | October 6, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: strago | October 6, 2008 12:13 PM
=====================

Baby come back; any kind of fool could see
There was something in everything about you
Baby come back; you can blame it all on me
I was wrong, and I just can't live without you

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 6, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

quote: I think Crapistan was the team I watched last Saturday at RFK, no? I thought I saw Borat in a black uniform.

I'm quite sure he did not say "very nice" after that "exhibition."

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 6, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Coverage of UVa by the WPost? Doubtful, Beckster.

Posted by: RK | October 6, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"Clemson then proceeded to score three goals in 83 seconds, two by reserve Michael Brooks, who finished with four goals, to claim a 5-3 victory. Maryland (7-3) has yielded nine goals in its last two ACC games."

And I wonder why MLS has such a hard time finding reliable American defenders.

Posted by: Kev | October 6, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

We're all part of Nowak's Army...

Piotr, come home.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | October 6, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

..........................................

A while back Goff answered a similar query be encouraging people to, in effect, BYOC (bring your own coverage).

Posted by: The Jeff | October 6, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

While we did win a Cup and Shield with Nowak, I don't think he's the right fit anymore.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 6, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Yea, all Nowak brings is discipline, saavy and football knowledge. We sure seem to have an overabundance of those at the moment.

Posted by: SoehnMustGo | October 6, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Good, if Chastain's playing maybe we won't have to hear her announce a game ever again. Any chance of getting Foudy back on the field, too?

Posted by: Hacksaw | October 6, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

And, while we're at it, how about Balboa?

Posted by: Hacksaw | October 6, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The WPS draft is off and running. The Freedom has grabbed Sarah Huffman and Becky Sauerbrunn.

While poking around the WPS site, I discovered that teams have been getting dibs on so-called "post-draft discovery" foreigners. The Freedom has tapped Erin McLeod (Canada) and Lene Mykjaland (Norway). For more details:

Posted by: The Jeff | October 6, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I just checked and learned that Huffman and Sauerbrunn have been playing for the pre-WPS Freedom, so they're essentially trying to protect players from being poached by other teams, at least so far.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 6, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Occurred to me after reading about Rimando on GB&CU: Anyone have any idea whether Jacqui Rimando and Skyler Little are in the WPS draft pool?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 6, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Steinbog, of all people, reported back in 2004 that Skylar decided against a post-WUSA career of any sort because of recurring knee problems. Does anyone know whether Jacqui has been keeping active out in Utah?

Interestingly, at least two keepers have been selected so far, neither of whom is named Scurry.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 6, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

LA gets former Freedom player Christie Welsh. Am I correct in thinking that no team has picked up Scurry and it's already in the middle of round 2? Two GKs were taken already (LeBlanc and Alexander).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 6, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The Freedom protects another incumbent, Lori Lindsey. Does anyone have any opinion as to whether the Freedom is protecting the right players (e.g., Huffman rather than Welsh)?

Posted by: The Jeff | October 6, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The roster, so far, favors F's and M's. Maybe they figured Welsh was expendable for roster and salary cap purposes.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 6, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Or, come to think of it, they think that Wambach and Welsh occupy the same niche up front. But even in that case, there is something to be said for retaining Welsh and using her as trade bait.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 6, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

St. Louis grabs Joanna Lohman, who has played for the Freedom in the past.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 6, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Draft over. Freedom picks:
Sarah Huffman (Virginia)
Becky Sauerbrunn (Virginia)
Lori Lindsey (Virginia)
Emily Janss (Maryland)

Not taken: Brandi Chastain, Briana Scurry.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 6, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Don;t think either of the Littles (Rimando) are still playing. Jacqui just had a baby and I think Skylar might be pregnant again.

Posted by: Troy | October 6, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I would have been surprised if Chastain had been picked at this stage. I'm sure she still has something to offer, but it is child's play to name 28 or more people who are under 40, and who haven't been away from top-level competition for four years.

On the other hand, the Scurry situation is a surprise. I'm wondering whether she somehow signaled that she wasn't sure she would sign with whoever drafted her.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 6, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse