Live From RFK

A quick D.C. United update.....

*Jaime Moreno says he's been told by the league that his appeal of the two-game suspension will be reviewed next week. (He wasn't going to play tomorrow anyway.)

*Luciano Emilio (hamstring) did not practice and will not play tomorrow.

*Marcelo Gallardo said he is ready to play against Chivas USA. How many minutes, he is not sure. Gallardo returned from Argentina this week with a personal trainer, who has joined him at practice. The two jogged together at the end of today's session.

*Newly acquired defender Ibrahim Koroma had a procedure to remove an infection in his knee and is on crutches.

*More than 25,000 tickets have already been sold for tomorrow's match, the final weekend game of the regular season.

*Several regulars will not travel with the team to Costa Rica for Thursday's Champions League match against Saprissa and rejoin the group in Houston next weekend for the league game against the Dynamo.

*Coach Tom Soehn, on where the goals will come from in the absence of Moreno and Emilio: "It's not so much scoring goals. Our team tomorrow will come to work and do the little things we haven't been doing. It was a great reminder for me on Wednesday watching our young kids go out and compete, all the little intangibles about fighting for each other and making sure you understand what you are fighting for. That is all going to be here tomorrow and along with that comes goals."

By Steve Goff  |  October 3, 2008; 11:48 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Roster Announced
Next: TV, Anyone?

Comments

Wow I am very happy with what's going to be the lively crowed. Can't wait to get there. Come on to lot 8 early!

Posted by: td | October 3, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

For those who wonder why Gallardo flew back to Argi...players from EPL also flew back to Argies to treat so it's not just G'do. I read on bbc.

Posted by: td | October 3, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

"It's not so much scoring goals" oh no no no. We need goals.. so it's giving up goals then? We need goals. We need to tied the defense. We need organize back. We need midfield control. We need finisher. WE NEED COACH WHO CAN GUIDE.

Posted by: td | October 3, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

WOW - 25k already. Memo to Garber - MLS fans LOVE Saturday night league matches.

Posted by: Kev | October 3, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

BTW Steve, kudos on the Torres scoop.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 3, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I hope VW fired the scarf machine back up or there's going to be a lot of jealous kids tomorrow night. I wonder if any adults will be there wearing the youth sized hats they scored on youth hat night?

Posted by: dadryan | October 3, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, any specifics on who may be going to Costa Rica? Those of us traveling there are curious :)

Posted by: JB | October 3, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I was considering a trip to CR myself, but instead I'm saving my money till after election day. If McCain somehow wins, I'm moving down to Panama or Nicaragua.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 3, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I will score a hat trick tomorrow.

Posted by: Rod Dyachenko | October 3, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko hat trick - Bagel for pass completion %, yellow card, red card. Hat trick!

Posted by: SpikeFC | October 3, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 3, 2008 12:41 PM

My friend, I'll be happy to pay any luggage expenses you may incur, if that helps speed your journey.

Oops, I forgot, I'm supposed to keep quiet on these things. My bad.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Start Janicki, Boyyzzzz, Zaher, and any of the other young-uns that showed well vs. CA. Reward the effort, and hopefully get more of the same.

Big crowd, good weather, (hopefully) operational floodlights, and an opponent that *should* be beatable....Go DCU!

Posted by: 22206 | October 3, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

that rambling quote from sohen makes me miss the days of 'ten players and a goalie.'

Posted by: stairs | October 3, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

25,000 tickets sold???!!! Hell Yeah!!!

Posted by: kris | October 3, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna be in Philly for the Redskins Game this weekend. Any good spots in the City I can go watch the DC United Game. It's such a crucial match!

Posted by: ON my Way To Philly | October 3, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

22206:

I do think some of the players from Wednesday deserve recognition, but the only player off your list that will start is Khumalo. With Burch available and coming off arguably his best performance as a center back, he can fill the only position played by both Janicki and Zaher. You don't get unlimited subs, and we will likely need to use them at the other end of the field. I also don't know enough about either player to judge whether it was a one-off or that they're genuinely ready for increased consideration. Let them play at Saprissa; if they can do a good job on the turf there, then you start really comparing them to the first choice guys. This game is too important to bench someone like Martinez, a proven commodity (and, if all players were at their best, probably our best defender) for Zaher, who has done a good enough job with very limited minutes.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 3, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! were doomed.

Posted by: The Jim | October 3, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I hope Soehn is using practice this week to teach DCU how to score with your butt ala Cruz Azul.

Posted by: RK | October 3, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm sick of hearing Soehn say the guys aren't working hard enough, or they have no fight. It's a cop out as a coach to lay all your failures on that kind of stuff.

Personally, I want him gone.

Posted by: Matte | October 3, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@ ON my Way To Philly -
Try the Dark Horse Pub just north of 2nd and South Sts. Great soccer bar with a good crowd, and the HQ of Sons of Ben. Not sure if they will be showing DCU, since they tend toward EPL, but if you ask, I'm sure they'll put in on for you.

Posted by: DCBird | October 3, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 3, 2008 12:41 PM
..........................................

Yeah, but Costa Rica has the added advantage of the lack of an extradition treaty. That is how Roy Lassiter avoided legal problems for several years. Do Panama and/or Nicaragua also offer this benefit? (I'm not suggesting that you'd need it, but some of us might.)

Posted by: The Jeff | October 3, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

there's some sort of music event at the stadium all day tomorrow too. DC Jam session or some such. I wonder if the people attending that also have a ticket to the match. That could explain the high numbers.

Posted by: Glenn | October 3, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Start your best 11 healthy players, and let them sort it out. The few players that have survived this season have proven versatility and toughness above all else. That's the lesson Soehn & Co. took 1/3 of the season to learn, and they have one LAST good chance to put it to use.

I LOVED the show the reserves put on Wednesday too, but wait at least one more game to reward them with starter's minutes.

I've been a huge Martinez fan from day one. And I can't wait to see Burch stand over a free kick without Jaime there to completely flub it. Marc + Martinez - I love their games. They're like the nuts in this team's collective sack.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired of Soehn being right too.

Posted by: Roddy | October 3, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Thats true Tom Soehn should appreciate that they are giving everything they got. I wonder if it's true when the season is over that he will be fired and hopefully Kevin Payne and Dave Kasper can find a coach that can lead DCU to another MLS Cup to win our 5th. And let's not forget that we better forwards to finish and make goals. VAMOS UNITED! VAMOS UNITED! Esta noche tenemos que ganar.

Posted by: Jeff | October 3, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah the 25k sounds kind of high, is there some sort of cross promotion going on or half price tix or something?

Posted by: Thora | October 3, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, remind me again, somebody: Is Tino still out injured, or will he play tomorrow?

Posted by: Juan-John | October 3, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thora |

It's Marco Etcheverry mullet-wig night.

Posted by: RK | October 3, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I think that tomorrow's game is "league night" or something to that effect.
My guess is they marketed tickets towards the youth leagues and sold big blocks of tickets...

Maybe Joe Doc could confirm?
It's scarf night too...

Posted by: dadryan | October 3, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

DCU is marketing this heavily as the "last of the youth league nights" this season, which is only sort of true. It *is* the last weekend night match, and I hear that there will also be a special guest appearance by Mastodon Juan in Lot 8, right near the tunnel...

Posted by: 22206 | October 3, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

If McCain somehow wins, I'm moving down to Panama or Nicaragua.

Posted by: AlecW81

Promise, promises.....you and Alec Baldwin, right?
I'm sorry too, Goff.

Posted by: marksman | October 3, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

""It was a great reminder for me on Wednesday""

And, Tommy "We came out Flat" Soehn, what were you thinking abuot during the previous 2 months of horrendous efforts?

Posted by: delantero | October 3, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Is Koroma just trying to fit in with his new team by being "injured" before he even gets to play 1 minute? ;-)

Posted by: Lonnie | October 3, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

McSame doesn't stand a snowball's chance. If you are an undecided voter, close your eyes and imagine Sarah Palin as President.

Thought so.
>>>

If McCain somehow wins, I'm moving down to Panama or Nicaragua.

Posted by: AlecW81

Posted by: this is a soccer blog | October 3, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@dadryan: You're right. I know Saturday is WAGS night, and might be NCSL night as well. Lots of kids and moms in attendance for this one.

I don't need to close my eyes to see four years of Obama setting leftism back 20 years. It's an enticing prospect...

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 3, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

gallardo's personal trainer jogging with him on the sidelines has to be sending the DCU FO a message...

our current trainers need to go, we've had to many repetitive injuries this year on multiple players... something is not right with the DCU training regiment...

Posted by: myt! | October 3, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Goff thanks for the excellent work and for putting this gigantic smile on my face that is ticking everyone at work off today. What smile you ask? The Torres smile. That was some sweet news and I am walking around all giddy and stupidly happy today.

About those changes that are being promised at the end of the season? It's easy to picture TS, as the head coach it's natural that he be up front and center when the fat masked man shows up in town. Not saying he's going, but I'm not so sure I'd mind if he did. In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that I've been on the side calling for it after the early season losing streak. If that does not happen, I wouldn't say I'd be happy, but probably could live with it. The one cut I could not live without? Whoever the team's current trainer is. I mean those are just waaaaay too many injuries for one not to jump to the unscientific conclusion that there is some direct relationship there. Gallardo bringing in his own guy kind'a speaks volumes of his trust in that relationship.

VAMOS UNITED!! Scrape out the results and go on a 8 game winning streak to glory (yeah I said...err-um, wished it).

Posted by: Kosh | October 3, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

25K tickets sold!

Word of mouth is working. Maybe it'll be like Wednesday night but this time we'll have the same thousand DC fans and 24,000 Cruz Azul fans!

Posted by: garbaggio | October 3, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"..it's not so much scoring goals..." Great Tommy-boy. Your offensive mind is never at rest. Get out!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

It's scarf night???

Why didn't Craig call me?

...Why do I know the names of members of DCU's sales team?

Posted by: B.A. | October 3, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"there's some sort of music event at the stadium all day tomorrow too. DC Jam session or some such. I wonder if the people attending that also have a ticket to the match."
**************************

UGH last time they did this there were morons-a-plenty around RFK. Sorry, I know 25k is good but if 8k of them are drunk frat boys, I'd rather have the lower attendance of real DCU fans.

Posted by: DCB23 | October 3, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Lots of millionaire athletes have their own trainers.
Lots of kids rely on their dad for input into the problems they are having on the field. Or maybe an old high school coach. There is really nothing all that unusual about it. Except here in the USA in soccer. For now.
That being said, there does seem to be a disconnect in the practices of the team's fitness/strength coordinator and the performances of members of the team.
Of course some guys are just injury prone. And some are beasts.
Cal Ripken - never missed a game.
Billy Ripken - could barely play 20 in a row.
Sometimes you have to cut the dead (injured) wood and move on. That will be an area where the team will have very difficult decisions to make in the off-season. Ben Olsen for one example. I'm a big fan too, but what was gained by having him on the senior roster this year?
MLS needs an IR like maybe the NFL has. And guys needs to not count against the cap when they are placed on season-ending IR.

Posted by: marksman | October 3, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ON my Way To Philly | October 3, 2008 1:16 PM
_____________________________________________

That's just not acceptable! You would miss a football match for throwball???

j/k (sort of) :-)

Posted by: HarkesyRules | October 3, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I re injured my leg today at the end of practice

I am a game time decision

Posted by: Santino Quaranta | October 3, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Following the DC UNITED game will be the Nations Cup Championship featuring the AEGEAN HAWKS - The best amateur team on the EAST COAST....

Posted by: Jon Knight | October 3, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Classic DC United pickup. He fits right in. We'll either cut him before he plays a game or he'll hold down a roster spot for half a year without contributing significantly.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 3, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

marksman:

MLS does have an IR. Jeff Carroll and Domenic Mediate are on it.

Trainer-bashers:

Unless any of you are in the locker room or at training watching how injuries are treated, I severely doubt you have any input that's worthwhile on the topic. It's just as likely that the training staff is the only thing keeping us from going into matches planning on having to use a keeper as a field player. None of us has any idea. It could just be that we have more injury-prone players than a normal team. Some of these injuries were pre-existing. Doe, for example, came to the club with that foot infection. Even some of the younger guys (Quaranta, Mediate) have had a higher share of injuries than most.

I know this has been a frustrating season, but there's no reason to go casting blame when you have absolutely no evidence. Or, maybe you're all right. Maybe Gallardo was using voodoo dolls in Argentina to cause our defenders to make stupid individual mistakes. Maybe Chad Ashton is slipping sleeping pills in the pre-game Gatorades to make us start games so poorly. Maybe they are out to get you.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 3, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Chest,
Thanks for the info.....
So, does it allow for removal of Sr players from the cap? Sorry, I just don't get most of the MLS "rules."
It seems DC had to eat Olsen's salary all year.
As for spreading blame - irrational, yes. Irresponsible, probably. Unusual to search for scapegoats, not at all.
Good to hear a voice of reason though.

Posted by: marksman | October 3, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

A question for Goff and the gang -- isn't there another US player in Mexico that could have been called up, but instead decided to play for Mexico? Perhaps plays for Atlante? I cannot find the story on him -- think it was either here or by Grant Wahl.

Posted by: teamn | October 3, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

So who starts?

Quaranta Khumalo
Guerrero Fred
Vide Simms
Gonzalez Namoff
Burch Janiki
Crayton

I don't know if Santino is healthy, but I know Gallardo can't go a whole 90. I think Dyastinko will start and if that is the case I don't know why 25,000 would even show up.

Posted by: Starting 11 | October 3, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Nice points there, Chest. But I never needed to be in the locker room, or team meetings, or where ever to ask for Soehn's head. Never coached a team outside of a video game but that does not mean I am outside of my rights as a fan to ask for a coach's head. Could very well be that we have a bunch of glass men, could very well be that we have a dude (or bunch of dudes) wrapped up in bandages and covered in band-aids trying to patch these guys up. But I only flap poetic on what I as a fan see and know. I see a bunch of men with never ending boo-boos and want some measure of comeuppance, just like how I want some comeuppance for TS for where this team is right now. Am I venting? Heck yeah! As a fan do I need facts to make such statements on an internets BLOG? Me no think so. So with all due respect, I stand by my not so worthwhile heckling, venting and wishes.

Perception is a huge part of the communication process. Gallardo leaves for Argentina and comes back with his own trainer. You guys could be spot on that he perhaps likes his own guy's training style or whatever. But it does leave room for interpretation for common fan Joe Schmegegga. The exercise of said interpretation is part of the sports fan blogging experience and fun.

Rant apart, not everything posted here is intended for an awatrd, qualification or blessing...sometimes frustrated fans wanna blow some steam just for the heck of it, and heaven forbid, maybe just have some fun.

Posted by: Kosh | October 3, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Maryland was upset by Clemson tonight, 5-3.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 3, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

They're also doing another one of those DC Jam Sessions tomorrow, so that might be another cause of it all.

Posted by: Section 130 | October 3, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

25 K already after an early sell plus an additional 5 K walk up, maybe?

Sounds like a recipe for a United win . . .

Posted by: delantero | October 3, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

The public health guy in me wonders if the Liberian Doe's mysterious infection and the Sierra Leonean Koroma's infection are related . . .

""Newly acquired defender Ibrahim Koroma had a procedure to remove an infection in his knee and is on crutches.""

Posted by: delantero | October 3, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I really am starting to wonder if that was Santino saying he'll be a game time decision. I mean it's seems like people pretend to be a lot of folks for grins, but...

Posted by: dadryan | October 4, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse