Matchday: United-Crew

A lovely day here in central Ohio, though a stiff breeze and a dropping temperature could make things uncomfortable in the second half. United has been waiting for Columbus since New York's loss on Thursday opened the playoff door.

Travel Note: On the flight here aboard our charter Southwest, I shared the first-class cabin emergency row with TV man Dave Johnson and radio play-by-play ace Tony Limarzi.

Broadcast Info: Comcast SportsNet and 1050, 1500, 820 AM.

Kickoff: 5 p.m. ET.

I can't recall United, in its 13-season history, ever having its playoff status determined on the final day. Win, lose or draw, a little regular season drama is always welcome in MLS. Last night RSL and Colorado offered a riveting finish that sent the Utah club to the playoffs for the first time and ended the Rapids' season.

If DCU makes the playoffs, there is a possibility that the first leg at RFK this Saturday will be at 5 p.m., not 7:30. I hope to have a final verdict later.

Read this tribute to Spanish announcer Danilo Noel Diron.

Back soon with DCU's starting lineup.....

DCU LINEUP: Crayton; Namoff, Janicki, McTavish, Burch; Fred, Simms, Quaranta, Guerrero; Doe, Emilio. Subs: Wells, Peralta, Martinez, Vide, Dyachenko, Moreno, Khumalo.

For the 30th and final time during this long regular season, you've come to the right place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

By Steve Goff  |  October 26, 2008; 3:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United's Traveling Party
Next: United-Crew, the Aftermath

Comments

Go DC United!

Posted by: Konoha7 | October 26, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

One of the things I love about the Soccer Insider is that besides getting inside information regarding my beloved United, on many occasions I get great music videos as a side dish. It is wonderful to experience two of my loves in concert with each other.

I can get educated in TWO fields at the same time!

Posted by: spectre42 | October 26, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

What a wild and crazy ride the 2008 regular season has been, and now it's time for...

Posted by: Pedalada | October 26, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Yura Movsisyan is officially cool. Multiple reach arounds by Ugo Ihemelu in the penalty box and didn't go down to draw a foul. He didn't get a rightfully called penalty, but went on to score the game winner.

Oh yes, Go DC tonight.

Posted by: Longgoneposter | October 26, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

While we're awaiting kickoff in Columbus, let's address another burning question: If the Galaxy manages to get one point against Dallas, what is the tiebreaker situation vis-a-vis San Jose, for the distinction of worst team in the league?

Posted by: universityandpark | October 26, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

if dyachenko sees the field tonight, I'm done with United (well not really, but you get my drift).

Posted by: torrey151 | October 26, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Goff, any reason Janicki's in the starting XI over Peralta?

Posted by: DonDraper | October 26, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

VAMOUS UNITED!

Posted by: strago | October 26, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

DonDraper: From what I have seen of Janicki this year, hes better than Peralta.

Posted by: strago | October 26, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

If Dyachenko is subbed in, I will personally call Kevin Payne with my disgust.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 26, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Strago, Janicki did play well before he had to come off against NE, but I was just curious since I thought Janicki was still hurt...

Posted by: DonDraper | October 26, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that not one of the 5 major off-season signings starts in this game although 2 are on the bench, plus Wells. On the other hand, 4 mid-season additions do start (or was Doe picked up right before the season started?) and two more make the bench. I wish the front office had done a little better in the off-season, but since then every signing has looked great.

Posted by: Dancy1 | October 26, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

The Galaxy will be the worst team in the league becaus of the points: payroll ratio.

So far, it looks like more United fans than sCrew fans at the stadium.

Vamos. Vamos United. Esta Noche. Tenemos ganar!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 26, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

What's up with the throwball lines? America's first soccer specific stadium indeed.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 26, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have an idea where I can watch the DCU game online? Roja Directa appears to have deleted their link.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 26, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Totally off-the-wall, but here goes: I wonder if there is any technology R&D aimed at having "lining templates" that can be somehow "loaded" onto a playing surface depending on the sport using the venue that night. Like lasers or something. Yeah, crazy, I know.

Posted by: Pedalada | October 26, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

anyone know how I can make the MLS Live feed a bit larger . . somehow I can transfer it to Media Player . . this 3 cm x 3cm screen just bites.

Posted by: delantero | October 26, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pedalada | October 26, 2008 5:15 PM

Yeah, you're right...totally off the wall :)

Formerly JkR

Posted by: Late2Bass | October 26, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

United needs Jaime on the pitch . .

Posted by: delantero | October 26, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Free DSW shoe coupons to the first 5,000 fans. Goodness knows they could use them.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 26, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Still looking for an online feed .......

Posted by: Cerealman | October 26, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Still looking for an online feed .......

Posted by: Cerealman | October 26, 2008 5:37 PM

I got nothing for you, my normal sources are dry.

Formerly JkR

Posted by: Late2Bass | October 26, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Late ... bad timing, huh? :)

Anyone else?

Posted by: Cerealman | October 26, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I got an info freekin mercial on CSN. What channel is it on? Got an online link?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 26, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Incredible, I can't find a feed for once...

Posted by: Reignking | October 26, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Try channelsurfing.net

sometimes they have a live feed

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | October 26, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Aghh, so close.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | October 26, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Steve, don't forget to say hi to Dispatch soccer guy Shawn Mitchell while you're there, eh?

Mitchell's predicted DCU lineup: GK Crayton; D Namoff, McTavish, Peralta, Burch; MF Khumalo, Quaranta, Simms, Guerrero; F Emilio, Doe.

Goff's actual lineup: Crayton; Namoff, Janicki, McTavish, Burch; Fred, Simms, Quaranta, Guerrero; Doe, Emilio.

(Only off by a couple players -- Janicki and Fred.)

Mitchell's expected lineup for the Massive: GK Hesmer; D Hejduk, O'Rourke, Marshall, Padula; MF Gaven, Carroll, Schelotto, Evans, Rogers; F Moreno. (Don't know how this one stacked up.)

The views from Columbus:

Game preview: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/10/26/crew_preview_box_1026_ART_10-26-08_C5_EMBN4BR.html?sid=101

Crew team feature: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/10/26/crew26.ART_ART_10-26-08_C5_EMBN4BN.html?sid=101

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 26, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm in York PA. Is the game on Comcast Sport Net? I think I'm in a Philla-freekin-delphia zone.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 26, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Nope, Channel Surfing doesn't have the game.

Roja Directa had a DCU-CLB link all day long ... then took it down at 5 o'clock. :(

Posted by: Cerealman | October 26, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh my goodness.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | October 26, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Just once I wish Emilio would pass. Doe could have walked that in . .

Posted by: delantero | October 26, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Is nobody watching this match on tv? Here's a radio link:

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 26, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Sigi Schmid,

Gaven, Moreno, Hejduk and Schletto look like they need a break. The playoffs are coming up you know . . .

Posted by: delantero | October 26, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Nine.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 26, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of posts....

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 26, 2008 5:33 PM

"They" could use the coupons, or the use the fans?

Posted by: fischy | October 26, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of posts....

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 26, 2008 5:33 PM

"They" could use the coupons, or the use the fans?

Posted by: fischy | October 26, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

found a live online feed here:

Posted by: dcu0165 | October 26, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@ dcu0165 You are awesome. Next time you find yourself in York You got yourself lunch on me. Offer expires yesterday ; )

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 26, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Boy, you can really hear the Nordecke going at it behind Limarzi's PxP.

Jaime Moreno just missed in the 60th.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 26, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow, thought that was 1-0. Jaime doesn't miss those!!!

Posted by: delantero | October 26, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks dcu0165!

Posted by: Cerealman | October 26, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

great effort Fred!

Posted by: delantero | October 26, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Come on, Tommy . . KHUMALO!!! for Doe!!!

Posted by: delantero | October 26, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

DCU needs to be rewarded for the hard work.

Posted by: live1 | October 26, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable

Posted by: RedDevil1 | October 26, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Khu! I thought he had it! Off the crossbar!

Posted by: Cerealman | October 26, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Why is Peralta coming in!!???

Posted by: RedDevil1 | October 26, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

And that's it, BS BS BS!!!

Posted by: RedDevil1 | October 26, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Ouch! Crew score.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 26, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

What a pisser

Posted by: live1 | October 26, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Curse of the woodwork.

Posted by: delantero | October 26, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

With darkness upon us, can anyone listen to Limarzi on 1500 AM in distant places?

Posted by: universityandpark | October 26, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Tough game. Bye, bye, Tommy.

Posted by: delantero | October 26, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Come on.... replacing Doe and then sending on Peralta with less then 20 minutes left in what could be the end of your season?!?!?!!?!
Ah what tactical brillance and it showed within less then 2 minutes of Peralta's entry Columbus scores. Umm Tommy YOU HAVE TO WIN THE GAME.

Well the good news is we can all start talking about the new head coach in a about 2 weeks. If there is any sense left in the front office they will end the era of Soehn asap.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | October 26, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link. Hate to see the season end ... even if it was a difficult one.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 26, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

So long Tom. Make sure to take Dyachenko with ya.

Now the question is, who will DC expose in the expansion draft?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 26, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

On a ironic note, anyone else find it funny, that after all the complaining that goes on about some teams having to play on a field with football lines, that today in a soccer specific stadium, 2 teams had to play a soccer game on a field with football lines on it?

Kinda funny.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 26, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoUnited | October 26, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

SoehntheExit:

In defense of Soehn, Namoff had been nursing a thigh contusion for most of the 2nd half. Who else is he going to bring on? Dyachenko for Namoff?

I agree with you about Doe though.

Posted by: strago | October 26, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

*facepalm*

Posted by: RedDevil1 | October 26, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

RIP Tom Soehn, Peralta, Martinez, Doe, Dychenko etc etc etc....too bad we can't bring back Boswell, Carroll and Esky! End the South American recruiting trips!

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 26, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

wow...that was cruel. especially, when you add the "no more playoffs" chant from those inbred columbus fans. ok, i am going to be controversial. here is my suggestion for the off-season: NO CHANGES. keep everything, including the coach, intact. this was one just of those snakebit years (as evident by those 3 shots off the woodwork).

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 26, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

The ironic part of this game is this: I predicted 3-1 DC (I know, it was hopeful) and of course that didn't happen. But look at it this way: we hit the post/crossbar 3 times to Columbus' 1 hit/goal. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut.

The good parts after tonights game:
1.) We played hard
2.) We'll permanently sign Janicki next season
3.) New start next season (new coach? how about ruud gullit lol)

Posted by: Konoha7 | October 26, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I think the second and third substitions, SoehnMustGo, were Khumalo for Doe and Peralta for Namoff (rather than Peralta for Doe, as you stated).

Posted by: billindmd | October 26, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Changes needed to be made for next year:
1) Fire the fitness coach
2) Sign Janicki and Khumalo
3) Get rid of Martinez
4) Bring in another striker

Posted by: GoUnited | October 26, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

My parents still love me so I still love DC UNITED. If Ben Olsen, Josh Gros, Gillardo, Luciano, Fred and Jaime were healthy, it's a different tune. I can't see any reason to fire the coach because of injuries. I wouldn't gut the team. Wells, Dyachenko could go. Peralta is decent enough, Martinez is awesome when he isn't on the ground nursing a hang-nail. Doe, Kumallo, Hernendez, Jeniki and Vide good finds. Quavis not so good but I love his name. We qualified for the next Champs League!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 26, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Thank Goodness that's over...

So, I thought I'd take this moment to consider the expansion draft. There's nobody on United that's so good you have to say let's protect this guy. But, they do have to put together a protection list, so here's a quick stab at it and discussion.

With Keller in goal, it's highly unlikely that Seattle would go after a high-priced back-up. They're going to want a young back-up to develop -- Keller's heir, not just his back-up. So, there's no need to protect Crayton.

Now, this game went along a familiar theme -- DC controls the possession but lacks the creativity to create great chances, and lacks the shooting skills to finish the chances they do get. That said, I think they protect Emilio. He looked really old and worn out today. If he had any sharpness in his game, he might have had a hat-trick today. He doesn't have that sharpness, but I don't see better options for United. I'd say the same for Gallardo and Fred. My only real questions there are about Keller's deal. Is it a DP contract, and if so can they still draft another DP? If not, then there would be no need to protect either Emilio or Gallardo. Khumalo has his limitations, but he also may be a diamond in the rough. I think his upside is higher than Doe's, but it's a close call. Jaime Moreno? They could take a chance that Seattle won't want a guy in his last season, with a big contract. For argument's sake, I'm suggesting DC add him to their list, but it wouldn't be too foolish to protect Guerrero instead. I'd also expect DCU to keep Quaranta and Simms, as they seem to be better options than anyone they might score outside the organization to fill their roles.

On defense, I feel a bit more certain as to the sure returnees: Burch's ability on free kicks makes him pretty valuable, and
Janicki's defensive skills are the best I've seen on United's back line in years. Namoff is such a key part of the team on defense and offense. He may be the indispensable cog. Devon McTavish has enough skills and flexibility that I expect him to be protected ahead of Guerrero, but if there's room for one more, it would be Ivan.

Martinez -- won't be missed. Peralta -- anyone think it's a coincidence that the Crew scored less than a minute after he came on for Namoff? Miller and Vide are not going to be protected, and only Vide is likely to even be considered by Seattle. The other players at risk would be Guerrero, Doe, Cordeiro, Crayton (though I doubt it, for reasons discussed above), the inimitable Rod Dyachenko, Zaher, Kirk, Wells and Thorpe. AS I discussed above, if DCU has no worries about DPs being selected, they could move to protect Guerrero and Doe. If they seem certain that Seattle would not select MOreno (he might announce he will play only for United), then they might add Thorpe to the list, but Vide or Zaher could also be considered. As for whom DCU might expect to lose in the draft, I would just reverse the order -- Guerrero, Doe, Vide, Zaher, Thorpe.

Posted by: fischy | October 26, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

It was a cruel result, but we weren't consistent enough this MLS season to make the playoffs.

I can think if six or so excellent performances (e.g. at Chicago, home to Kansas City, last week against the Revs, home to LA Galaxy) but too many of our games were mediocre to poor. We have been a very poor road team this year (worst in the league, if I'm correct).

Although we won the USOC this year and the Supporter's Shield last year, I think we need a new coach. I think we have the nucleus of a good team, although we need to determine the future of Olsen and Gallardo, given their injuries this year, since so much of our salary is tied up in those two players.

Posted by: billindmd | October 26, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

@ birdynumnum I agree. We should fire God for all the injuries.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 26, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Unfortune end to a difficult season. Three woodwork shots for naught while their's manages to find its way in. I guess alot of the "boo bears" who have nothing good to say about the team, its players or coaching staff are happy today that we are eliminated. Its sad to see how unappreciative of the team's efforts although in a losing cause they dismiss any and all of Soehn's moves and United in general. Maybe you should look to a new local team. You know USL 2 Real Maryland plays right here in Montgomery county!!

Posted by: sbg1 | October 26, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I would add this comment -- letting Peralta and Martinez walk will mean that the FO is not done shopping abroad. That would be at least two senior international spots they could use to get players with real talent. If they can sell Gallardo or Emilio, or they let Fred go, they will have even more flexibility. There will be new international signings -- you can count on that.

Posted by: fischy | October 26, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Lets here it for super-fan, sbg1.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 26, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I think it's telling who was on the field this game:

Bye Martinez, Wells (60k for a backup no thanks), Dyachenko.

Sorry Tommy, but if you cant inspire the team to play like this everyday, you're gone too because our team is clearly good you just lost them.

As for the expansion draft, I think if DC signs Janicki and Khumalo after the draft, they dont have to protect/lose those players since they are on loan.

Posted by: strago | October 26, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

For the person who was curious about the rules for the Expansion Draft:

Senior Roster
• Teams may protect 11 players between their Senior and their Developmental Roster.
• If the Player's contract expires at the end of 2008, he will still be considered part of the team's Senior Roster.
• If a team protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player's option. The team may renegotiate a new budget number for the player as in previous years.
• If a player retires, he will not be a part of the Senior Roster, but his team will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.

Developmental Roster
• Players on a team's Developmental Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season, will be part of the expansion draft.
• Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season are automatically protected (teams do not have to protect them).
• If Seattle Sounders FC select a Developmental Player they must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must be on Seattle's Senior Roster as of Roster Compliance Date.

International Players
• Teams may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus 3, provided that if a team has 3 or less international players it may make available not more than 1.
• For purposes of this expansion process, for U.S.-based teams, any non-domestic U.S. player would count as an International and for Toronto FC, any non-domestic U.S. player or non-domestic Canadian player would count as an International.

Designated Players
• Designated Players do not have to be protected unless the player has a no trade clause in which case he must be protected.

Maximum Player Loss
• Once a player has been claimed from a team's non-protected roster, that team is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players.

Right to Renegotiate
• Seattle will have the right to renegotiate a drafted player's salary (either up or down) without having to place such player on waivers or giving his previous Team a right of first refusal.

Priority
• On the first day of the Discovery/Allocation Period, Seattle will have priority over players who played professionally in the USL First or Second Division in 2008, subject to another MLS team's right of first refusal.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 26, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

So much for that. All my "Blackout" shirts are going to good will. DC needs a fresh change too. The front office needs to cut out the hype. The coaching staff needs a heart and brain transplant. The players need more symmetry and chemistry. Maybe Juande Ramos would like to give DC a try, now that he's been released by Tottenham. Isn't there a young genius-in-the-rough American soccer coach out there somewhere?

Posted by: Ted21 | October 26, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Im not buying a new DC jersey unless it is a third kit until we get that FIFTH star!!

whos with me!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 26, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

We will get'em next year,
i think we have the set pieces for it..just need to tweek it here and there!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 26, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info on the draft. I did wonder if DPs had to be protected. Odd exception -- since it creates a benefit for bringing in DPs before expansion. Makes me wonder if DCU might think about with their next signing, and multiple expansions ahead.

Anyway, scratching off Emilio and Gallardo from the protection list -- nice that DCU can hold two spots that way -- means that I would add Guerreo and Doe to the protection list. As for the next move, that depends on whether they'll roll the dice with Moreno. I think they can roll with Crayton. Moreno -- not as sure, but it's definitely an option. So, they could add Vide, Zaher or Cordeiro in his place. I doubt Seattle would be interested in Thorpe, with less than a half to evaluate -- so United can expect to lose one of the trio above. Certainly, not the kind of hit we took losing Carroll.

So, all we really have to do is decide what to do with Gallardo and Emiio's contracts, and maybe Fred's, too. Evaluate Olsen's potential and adjust offseason recruiting accordingly.... Maybe a trade for the first pick -- to get Marcus Tracy?

Posted by: fischy | October 26, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Park's closed. Justin Moose out front shoulda told ya.

Posted by: Reignking | October 26, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't risk not protecting Moreno. They'd see that he's skillful and they'd take him even considering his age. Here's who I would protect:
Moreno

Guerrero
Vide
Khumalo
Janicki
Olsen

Posted by: Konoha7 | October 26, 2008 8:29 PM

Are you nuts? No Emilio or Quaranta?

Posted by: GoUnited | October 26, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

The decisions about whom to protect are tough, but the important thing, I believe, is to be clear on the big picture. My 2 cents:

- Keep the starting lineup intact along with Khumalo and Gallardo, if feasible. There's a lot of talent there; United needs to be patient and let players mature individually and as a team. (The older guys can keep improving their skills, too.)

- Keep Tommy Soehn. He's a solid, intelligent coach with a steady temperament; the players respect him, as far as I know; he will be a successful coach if you give him a chance.

- Figure out why there were so many injuries this year and plan to do things differently next year. Too much weight training? Not enough stretching? Poor offseason workout programs?

- Give every player a workout routine for the offseason. This is the time to learn some new skills and improve the accuracy of shots and long balls; its also time to maybe take up yoga or a good stretching routine, while maintaining a good level of fitness, so injuries are prevented next season and the team can get off to a stronger start.

- And remember: Sometimes teams are just unlucky. The best coaches and managers don't have to find blame for every loss or every unsatisfying season.

Posted by: marionPark | October 26, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if we would have these sorts of responses if the season ended after the Chivas USA game. Just a thought

Posted by: GoUnited | October 26, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

United were really really unlucky, hitting the post / crossbar 3 times. But the shot by Evans was a beauty.

Posted by: Gene_SF | October 26, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: marionPark | October 26, 2008 9:15 PM

WTF?!?!?! Please marionPark take your head meds. Look at the stats for the season: besides winning the Open Cup (which no one gives 2 hoots about) DC finished in the bottom of the league with-8 goals against and won only one game on the road in over a year.

They've stunk up the CONCACAF champs league (at this point having the worst overall record and a -7 goals against) and Superliga. They were consistently unorganized, lacked any sort of cohesion and for the most part grit. In other words except for a brief period in May-June THEY SUCKED!

Posted by: SoehntheExit | October 26, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Can we fire Tom Soehn already?

Posted by: doctortechie | October 26, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo - send us the medical bill from River Plate and don't come back

Peralta - I liked the first version of you, Facundo Erpen, but at least you've got your good lucks to fall back on

Jaime - love ya mate but ya gotta go. Spend your retirement trying to get the highlights sorted in our hair

Dyachenko - good luck shoveling coal in the mines of Ukraine

Quaranta - get another tattoo in the shape of a decent pass because you certainly couldn't string any of them on your own

Zach Wells - Congratulations: you are officially the worst goalkeeper in DC United history (Jeff Causey can sleep easy tonight)

Tom Soehn - Thanks for taking a championship-calibre team and throwing it nose-first into the ground. Tactically speaking, this was the least prepared team on defense. I mean, weren't you once a defender?

Dave Kasper - hope United lets you keep those frequent flyer miles as part of your severance package because your scouting skills STINK!

Posted by: doctortechie | October 26, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, guys. Neither of us deserve to be in the playoffs.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | October 26, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Wells: 1.65 GAA - 8W 8L 1T

Crayton: 1.58 GAA - 3 W 6L 3T

At one-third the cost, Wells was the better keeper.

Posted by: Verrazzano | October 26, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

whos with me!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 26, 2008 7:57 PM

3rd Jersey?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 26, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, guys. Neither of us deserve to be in the playoffs.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | October 26, 2008 10:31 PM

Chivalry will get you NO WHERE you S.O.B.!:-)
We'd love to have you at the tailgate down by the river next season... Hairy Elephants can swim right?:-)
Glad you've gotten over being a kook for the sake of being a kook out here.
Peas Out

Posted by: DadRyan | October 26, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, guys. Neither of us deserve to be in the playoffs.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | October 26, 2008 10:31 PM
------------------------------------------

Truer words were never spake.

Posted by: edgeonyou | October 27, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

At one-third the cost, Wells was the better keeper.

Posted by: Verrazzano | October 26, 2008 11:30 PM
-------------------------------------------

A much more interesting stat would be the number of saves made. Wells had a much better team in front of him...

Posted by: fischy | October 27, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse