Matchnight: United-Marathon

For the final time this season, greetings from Estadio RFK.

Tonight's theme: Numb.

Numb from a sour year on the pitch. Numb from a 47-game calendar. Numb from the meaningless nature of this match. Numb from rush-hour traffic getting here. Numb from the unseasonal temperature. Numb from the biting wind.

Soundtrack provided by Jay-Z, Linkin Park and Paul McCartney.

The search for new players is underway. An agent with Central American connections stopped by the ballpark this evening. No names to share, but rest assured, DCU will scan dozens of portfolios the next few months.

On the college front, Notre Dame junior goalkeeper Andrew Quinn, son of longtime DCU photographer Tony Quinn, dislocated a shoulder during a 2-1 victory over Georgetown today and is out for the year. Clearly, it's the DCU injury jinx.

Back in a bit with DCU's lineup and subs.....

DCU LINEUP: Wells; Martinez, McTavish, Janicki, Burch; Quaranta, Simms, Fred, Guerrero; Khumalo, Doe. Subs: Dyachenko, Miller, Emilio, Zaher, Kirk, Vide and GK David Monsalve (from the MLS goalie pool).

Your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are encouraged.

By Steve Goff  |  October 29, 2008; 6:23 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Revs' Smith Suspended 3 Games
Next: United-Marathon, the Aftermath

Comments

Over/Under 18,000 Orange Seats at the game

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 29, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Quinn is a senior. Well the younger Quinn is a senior, but the senior Quinn is waaaaaay past school age.

Here's a link to the ND roster.

Posted by: fonkyou | October 29, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Quinn is a senior academically, but a junior athletically. He can return next season, if he chooses.

Posted by: Steve Goff | October 29, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Awesome!

Lets see who's in the market right...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 29, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

wow...15, maybe 20 fans in the stands?

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 29, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I can't find a live fee for this jawn at my usual spots, anyone got anything for me?
Thanks.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 29, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah like Beckster1 said!

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Keep Doe and Tino and give Tino a BIG raise!

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 29, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

Did you find a feed? I got my link from channelsurfing.net

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

For those without p2p programs:

Posted by: Josh8 | October 29, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Fred...whatcha doing....take the shot!

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 29, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Tino...what did you say to get that red card?

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 29, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

will we ever have a game without a red card again? The refs in this tournament have been a complete joke. These guys have clearly been biased against American teams. It was really bad during the spring tournament and has been even worse in this one.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 29, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Again ... stupid CONCACAF refs with no concept of how to ref a game. I think the yellow was for the foul ... red for dissent.

Should make the second half fun.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, how is the foul by McTavish warrant a yellow ... and the elbow to Doe's face nothing?

Cheers to Santino for saying something. I wish he had said more if he was going to get a red card.

CONCACAF officiating is a joke.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@beckster1 -- If I'm any good at reading lips, Tino said B@lls#!+

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@ Cerealman I agree, looks like Tino got a yellow then dropped the F-Bomb, a red card in any language.
Boy it sure is scarry with Wells in the net! VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 29, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

It looked like 2 yellows to me. CONCACAF refs are game killers

Posted by: ahelms10 | October 29, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

yep..concacaf refs are the worst in the football world! Ridiculous! Too bad it wasn't time for Well's ejection - could be kinda fun to see an MLS pool player goalie!

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 29, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

CCL - I'm glad that I barely invested anything in this farce.

Nice job, ref! jeesh.

Posted by: fonkyou | October 29, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

If fischy is right, then Santino was just calling a spade a spade.

That ticky-tack foul is not a yellow.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff-

Any idea how many red cards DC has earned this season in all competitions. That could be a little nugget for your column tomorrow discussing the repeated LACK OF DISCIPLINE shown by the head coach and players all season long.

The worst act by far by a DC United player was the elbow Gallardo threw on Donovan. And that earned Landon the yellow!

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 29, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

WEll that didn't take long! Fantastic strike...for the less than 50 people world-wide who are watching this game!

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 29, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

well, that was unfortunate. I predict this will get ugly and break down into bitter recriminations.

please let Wells go after this is finally over.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 29, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

51. I just turned it on.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 29, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

That 2nd goal was savable. It went in at knee height. Wells wasn't that far off his line. He didn't even stretch out with his half-hearted dive.

Posted by: ahelms10 | October 29, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

To me it looked like the ref gave Tino the yellow for dissent, and then decided it warranted a red. I don't know what Tino said, but if he said what I assume he said you can't say it wasn't warranted.

It's a good point that this team has been completely undisciplined all season. That could show Soehn's lack of control of the team.

Posted by: GoUnited | October 29, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Oops. I was washing dishes and missed the first three minutes of the second half.

Good grief.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

fedsoccer - think you nailed it!

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 29, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree. The lack of discipline reflects poorly on the coaching staff.

But ... the lack of ability by CONCACAF refs reflects poorly on soccer.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Good night. Game over.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Where does Tommy Soehn go from here? Out the door hopefully!

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 29, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Goff...we are depending on you to find out what Tino said!

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 29, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

FSC commentator: What did Santino say? ... The referee has to be thinking about how a red card will change the complexion of the game.

Right on.

But no, sadly, the refs don't know anything about the complexion of the game.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't really see Vide being the game changer, but why not give him some minutes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 29, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

How about Tino having to think about the complexion of the game? There's no reason to do what he did.

Posted by: GoUnited | October 29, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the ref understanding the complexion of the game, this isn't as bad as a red card to the goalie in the 31st minute for "time wasting."

This is going to get ugly.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Goal! Janicki!

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff-

Another idea for a story nugget...

Any idea how much the other (foreign) teams were charging per ticket to this tournament? I couldn't get out of my house for the $60 tickets, $12 parking, and $5 in gas this game would have cost me tonight. Overpriced? Just look at the bright orange color shining through on FSC tonight.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 29, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I Tino deserved the red, after the foul he was already barking at the ref before he pulled out the yellow for the first card and then continued to drop multiple f-bombs on the ref. It's one thing to say it once, maybe twice and get away with it but he was showering the ref with them. As bad as the refs have been they don't deserve to be abused like that. For all the progress Tino has made it is boneheaded things like this that make people think twice about his maturity.

Posted by: owendylan | October 29, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Giving a 2nd yellow for dissent is ridiculous as is blaming Quaranta for the referee's ridiculous actions. Doe's follow/dissent were caution worthy but the lip-busting elbow to the face was not and Martinez's scissors tackle wasn't even a foul? What a joke

Posted by: ahelms10 | October 29, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Cerealman, I caught both of the first two goals and Tino's red and came back in the 60th minute to find a crazy score line...
I shoulda gone to this game...:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

The Phillies are 3 outs away from history.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 29, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Jay - same here. Between the weather and $$, I didn't want to drop the cash to watch DC lose and then get harassed by Marathon fans on the way home.

Posted by: Dynaformer | October 29, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Doe with a red card...final 2-4

Finally this season's done

Posted by: Josh8 | October 29, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I dont blame you Jay!

Its pretty expensive to shell out $50-60, plus parking, plus beer and snacks, PLUS blistering cold wind...

for a DC loss...

Just too much maybe next year when things have changed!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 29, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

i'm glad that this season is over. It's been arduous and painful.

Posted by: fonkyou | October 29, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, silly me. I was dumb enough to purchase tickets to all of the games in this joke of a tournament. Yes, I paid more for these games than my season tickets in the same seats. I paid more for parking than with my pre-paid parking passes. I will not go to another concacaf game again. It will be on TV and I can save my money. What a joke...

Posted by: mbyrd28 | October 29, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

What a long, long, long season. For all the disappointment, there was the US Open Cup. I'm glad I made it to 3 of those, including the final.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 29, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

The red card tally:
6 in 30 games in MLS
1 in 4 games in the US Open Cup
5 in 6 games in the CCL

What this tells us for sure:
CONCACAF refs call games very differently than MLS refs

What we don't know for sure:
Whether there is any intention by these CONCACAF refs to do so

Either way, there is something wrong with these numbers ...

Posted by: mjhoya12 | October 29, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Jay, you don't happen to have a dog named Bella... do you?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I didn't go to any of the CCL games. Way too rich for my blood. I said when tickets went on sale. They priced themselves right out of the market. Hope they enjoyed all those empty seats I had a nice meal, watched the Barack ad, and saw enough of the game on TV to make me feel really pleased with my decision not to buy tickets to this tourney.

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

PHINALLY!

Posted by: Reignking | October 29, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Jay, you don't happen to have a dog named Bella... do you?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2008 10:18 PM

Que? No dog in this house. But revelling in a Phillies win. One night I'm glad I stayed home.

ps. Nats. How 'Bout Them Phillies!!!!!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 29, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, I think I've said too much...
Who was that other puppy walking Phillies cap wearing United fan in my neighborhood named Jay?...
Holler!
Congrats Phillies fans.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

They just called the Phillidelphia Dilly's the World Champs of baseball. Funny, I don't remember them playing in a tournament with the champs from Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Korea or Japan. Prolly cause USA is the only the only place that baseball is played.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 29, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

9nine9- Yaaawn. What a tired arguement. Bite it because your team (probably the Nats) didn't post this year. It's called the World Series and the Phillies are the World Champs. Maybe if Cuba called their champs the "World Champs" then there would be friction. But they don't, so there isn't.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 29, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Shoot, I forgot about the game. I was looking for more soccer gossip when it said Matchnight! Woops.

Sounds like the game was somewhat interesting. 2 red cards? Goal by Doe and Janicki? I want highlights, but am not expecting them.

Hopefully a good "aftermath" report by Goff.

Btw- Thanks Goff for some great reporting this year.

Are you going to be in South Africa 2010?
FIFA is currently holding guided tours to sports journalists around the world. I believe you've earned a spot on the tour.

Thanks again!

Posted by: redskinsux | October 29, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

The concept of the CCL was a good one but the execution of it has been a joke. Even before Tino's ejection the yellow cards by this ref were absurd. You could see somthing like that coming. mjhoya12 is on to something. I am convinced there is a bias against the "gringo" teams in this tournament. Marathon was better team tonight but the send off was weak. To lose all three home games in this tournament was embarassing. At least now the suffering is over.

Posted by: sbg1 | October 29, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Not to get off topic or cause trouble or anything, but Philadelphia sports fans are a$$ clowns.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | October 29, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

USA is the only the only place that baseball is played.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 29, 2008 10:41 PM
---------------------------------------------

Are you that ignorant? You list a number of countries where baseball is the preeminent sport, and then follow it with a stupid statement like "USA is the only the only place that baseball is played." Are you delusional? I'll be enjoying the World Baseball Classic this coming spring -- the previous iteration of this competition didn't even include the USA in the championship game. The WBC isn't going to challenge the World Cup on the sporting calendar, but it's a great, exciting competition that will grow increasingly popular in the decades to come.

Posted by: fischy | October 30, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

For those interested in FUTBOL, here's Goff's gamer:

For those interested in BASEBALL, here's a link to that:

Posted by: Juan-John | October 30, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse