Matchnight: United-Revolution

Greetings from RFK.

A light rain is falling, the appropriate setting for what could, for all intents and purposes, mark the end of a dark regular season campaign for D.C. United. A loss would be deadly, a tie of little help. DCU will have to accomplish something it has failed to do for 54 days: Beat an MLS opponent.

ESPN2's broadcast begins at 7:30. Kickoff is around 8 p.m.

Let's take a look at the wild-card situation.....

(Though RSL is barely ahead of these teams, we will regard them, for the time being, as the third automatic berth in the West.)

KANSAS CITY
Points: 36
Goal Difference: -5
Remaining Games: vs. San Jose, at New England.
NEW YORK
Goal Difference: -2
Remaining Games: at Chivas USA, vs. RSL
D.C. UNITED
Points: 34
Goal Difference: -8
Remaining Games: vs. New England, at Columbus

The first tiebreaker is head to head, the second is goal difference. K.C. is 1-0-1 with New York, 0-0-2 with Dallas, 1-1 with Colorado, 1-1 with D.C.; N.Y. is 1-1 with Dallas, 0-2 with Colorado, 1-1-1 with D.C.; Dallas is 0-2-1 with Colorado, 1-0-1 with D.C.; Colorado is 1-1 with D.C.

I'll be back later with DCU's lineup and subs.....

DCU LINEUP: Crayton; McTavish, Janicki, Peralta, Burch; Khumalo, Simms, Quaranta, Guerrero; Doe, Emilio. Subs: Wells, Martinez, Thompson, Vide, Dyachenko, Moreno, Fred.

Yes, Fred is back, well ahead of schedule after suffering a hamstring injury that was expected to sideline him for the remainder of the regular season.

You've come to the right place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.....

By Steve Goff  |  October 16, 2008; 4:22 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe the Keeper
Next: Conway, Parke Suspended, Fined for Substance Abuse

Comments

In the words of Hank Hill

"Dangit Bobby"

DC EST MAGIQUE!!!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 16, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

It looks like Dallas is in the best position to sneak in with games against RSL and LA. I'm crossing my fingers for a big DCU win tonight and a Chivas loss this weekend so we'll get to play a bunch of Columbus reserves to get the last spot!!!

Posted by: Jayboy | October 16, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Trying to think through what needs to happen makes my head hurt. Someone just tell me after next Sunday's game if DCU is in the playoffs!

"I'm voting for yours truly."

"Well, I'm voting for yours truly."

"I'm with you fellas."

Posted by: I'm Dumb but Slow, too | October 16, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm bringing four first-timers from work to this game, so for the sake of my corridor rep please do me proud DCU!

Also...Las Placitas Salvadoran on 8th St SE, please be as tasty and authentic as you always are...that's where we're going pre-game.

Posted by: D C B 2 3 | October 16, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Expected Crowd = ?

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | October 16, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

The tiebreakers work completely against us. We really need some luck to get in -- win both of our games and hope that

At least we have clean players, unlike the Red Bulls.

I'm bringing three work colleagues -- I hope we can crack 10,000 tonight. Season ticket holders could trade in unused previous tickets for additional tickets tonight, so hopefully that will help. The menancing weather will not.

Posted by: J | October 16, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Seems remarkable that for each of the teams we might tie, we would need to go to the second tiebreaker - which we would lose in every case, barring some major goal outbursts that seem unlikely given our opponents and our current, er, issues.

Ah, well. I'm out of town and so will have to check it out on the Deuce. Those who are going to be there - let me hear you! Fingers crossed . . .

Posted by: regular fan | October 16, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Thompson---Peralta----Janicki-------Burch
------------Simms------Vide--------------
Khumalo----------Tino-------------Guerrero
----------------Emilio-------------------

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 16, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Let's Go United!
See ya at the park folks.

Posted by: dadryan | October 16, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: J | October 16, 2008 5:19 PM
..........................................

The Weather Channel is showing that the last line of showers has long since moved off to the east. And I can't remember the last time United drew fewer than 12-13K for an MLS match, even a midweek event that was on TV.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 16, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

With Conway and Parke out, I'd have to say the the Red Bulls will probably lose both games. Likewise, I think there's a good chance that Dallas will lose both (including one at a full-strength Galaxy). So, it seems to me that it could come down to DCU and Colorado for the last slot.

Unless Colorado wins one, DCU would go through with just a win tonight. Because Chivas will probably beat the Rapids, DCU would advance with a win tonight and a draw at Columbus (or the reverse), even if the Rapids do beat RSL at home.

Posted by: FIsch Fry | October 16, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

----------------Crayton------------------
Martinez---Peralta----Janicki-------Burch
------------Simms------Vide--------------
Quaranta-------------------------Guerrero
-----------Emilio-----Khumalo*-------------

*With Khumalo playing withdrawn forward and Emilio playing striker

Posted by: Asher | October 16, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

It's bizarre that none of the wild card contenders are playing each other in the final week.

I much prefer head to head duels.

Posted by: delantero | October 16, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: regular fan | October 16, 2008 5:34 PM

well, maybe. In order to get to a tie, DC needs to win, and others need to lose. In doing so, those goal differentials will tighten up, except for Dallas. But then we lose the first tiebreaker to Dallas, so goal differential doesn't come into it. As for the others, DC might catch up.

We'll all check back at 10:05 tonight, then again Sunday night and see if this is really worth figuring out!

Posted by: Rob | October 16, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

The playoffs!!! WAH HOO!!

Posted by: Mickey Mouse | October 16, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | October 16, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Do we really want another 90 minutes of the same old backline that has been drilling this team into the ground all season? Let's bring in Zaher. We need change! We need hope!

I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message.

Posted by: B Obama | October 16, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

off to rfk. vamos united!

Posted by: jayemzee | October 16, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I was pretty darn close, I'd still rather have Thompson at RB than McTavish or Martinez.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 16, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS UNITED!!!!

Posted by: Nine | October 16, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

When Rob Stone called a defender a defenseman, I let it pass. When Rob Stone called Charlie Davies "Charlie Davis," I let it pass. But when Rob Stone said that Shalrie Joseph should watch out for Jaime Moreno, who isn't even starting, that is where the line is crossed.

Posted by: BSPN | October 16, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!

Posted by: Colm | October 16, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, Martino says Twellman is only 20 y/o?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

And when Shalrie Joseph wears those pigtails, it's too much.

Posted by: Jacob | October 16, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

who is this clown doing color? Where's Harksey, stuck in T&T? He's no Wynalda, but better than this dude.

Posted by: hilariousJ | October 16, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

No kidding....stupid comments like "I don't think Tom Soehn became a bad coach overnight" and "I'm sure DC would like to get back to the team they used to be"

Posted by: Beckster | October 16, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Crayton worth every penny!

Posted by: beckster | October 16, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Crayton with an amazing block... looked goal bound for sure

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Luci off the crossbar...

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Simple vote:

Which is worse?

Joseph's pigtails or Reis' mustache

Posted by: Jacob | October 16, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

The pig tails...absolutley!

Posted by: Beckster | October 16, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

those pigtails are horrendous

Posted by: cha | October 16, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Shalrie "Pippi Longstocking" Joseph

Someone has to tell him he looks foolish with his hair like that.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Another injury. Janicki out for GMartinez.

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Hum...hasn't Bobby Boswell played every game this year and still standing in central D? Hum...

Posted by: Beckster | October 16, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

since when did DC get this good?

Posted by: Garret | October 16, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Garret, I know they have been crap and this is an improvement, but I'm not sure we have reached "good"....nice job thus far by Emilio, Tino and Crayton. Burch has had some nice touches as well but there is some hope...

Posted by: Beckster | October 16, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

DC obviously didnt want half time. We have been playing so well and havd had NE on thier toes. At this rate, we will probably be 2-3 goals ahead of NE at the 75th minute mark. Crayton has done a superb job and deserves the #1 keep job.

VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: Spartan | October 16, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

GMart w/ a great save...

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

The stache is pretty creepy lookin.

Posted by: Krista | October 16, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

....good night everybody....

Posted by: birdy | October 16, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Castro may have been onsides, but Twellman was probably off.

Posted by: Jacob | October 16, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Can't blame Clayton for a 2 on none, but how do you come that far off your line on that? Bring on Jaime and Fred.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Twellman, counterattack goal in the 59th.

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Goal!

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

...good morning everybody....

Posted by: birdy | October 16, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

That was Doe...good patience on the shot...

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

The last month and their fans is turning me a bit into a DCU fan.

Posted by: Jacob | October 16, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Jacob, how can you resit! The pride, the tradition, the heart! The rag tag bunch trying their hardest...ya gotta love them and their dedicated fans!

Posted by: Beckster | October 16, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Beckster, that about sums it up...

I don't anticipate Atlanta getting an MLS team, but I'ma have to wait to swear my allegiances til after that announcement.

Posted by: Jacob | October 16, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

My God put these shots on goal!!!!

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

DAMNIT, Santino!

Posted by: Colm | October 16, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen Quaranta's left foot?

Posted by: osgoodfan | October 16, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Some idiot just threw streamers on the NE corner. Duh.

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

This is the most inspired I've seen a team play in a lonnnnng time.

Posted by: Jacob | October 16, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

love that guy! DOEEEEEEEE!!!

Posted by: delantero | October 16, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Doe brace! He has been nice and calm up top.

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic goal from Doe and Tino redeems himself!

Posted by: Beckster | October 16, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

DOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Posted by: Kenny | October 16, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Please let this hold!! My heart has finally regained normal tempo

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

why'd Tino shoot that instead of keep possession?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Ref tells Nicol to shut up...

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Quite obvious that DCU isn't used to holding a lead....

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

on target RK...not something this line-up has experience with!

Posted by: Beckster | October 16, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

You should get incentive pay for hitting Twellman . .

Posted by: I hate the Revs | October 16, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Twellman will need rhinoplasty after this game.

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Blow the whistle, man!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

It has been a while...but DCU wins!

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

If you happen to be in Birmingham at 30th and 12th, you might hear me screaming Barra songs out of my apartment window.

Just FYI.

Posted by: Colm | October 16, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Luck is starting to turn on our side!?!

Ref misses a clear handball by the Revs, we give up yet another soft goal, blow some clear goal scoring opportunities, but we pull it out!

Posted by: delantero | October 16, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

down 1-0, i look at my 8 year old: "season over.." 8 year old: "no daddy, they'll come back". 94th minute: my 8 year old and i hugging and dancing in the living room. this season isn't quite dead yet after all....

Posted by: birdy | October 16, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

""you might hear me screaming Barra songs out of my apartment window . . .""

ditto from the Front Range . .. I turned around after the whistle blew to find my dog hiding under the table!

Posted by: delantero | October 16, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Good win. Glad they could come back and keep the lead. :)

Posted by: Krista | October 16, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Proud to say that my yelling made the cat jump over 3 feet in a single bound. Wife's not to happy with me, though, but she's learned to deal with my outburts.

One down, one to go.

Posted by: FHS | October 16, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I remember when we first picked up Francis Doe. I remember very well one DCU fan said, "Why are we picking up RBNY rejects?"
All I can say is that it worked out right?

Posted by: Spartan | October 16, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

i threw a duplo(leggo) at the tv when we scored our 2nd. not sure why....

Posted by: mizage | October 16, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

"i threw a duplo(leggo) at the tv when we scored our 2nd. not sure why....

Posted by: mizage | October 16, 2008 10:13 PM "

Being a Maryland Alumnus, I have learned to put down all solid objects at passionate points during sporting events.

Hey, that hole in the wall was there when I moved in...

Posted by: Colm | October 16, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to name a street, a child or at least a pet after Francis Doe.

Vamos United!

Posted by: Bill in Md. | October 16, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Thank you DCU for a great night for me and my work first-timers!

Las Placitas...you delivered as always!

Posted by: D C B 2 3 | October 16, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

did anyone else see at the end of the coverage, maybe the 88 or 89 minute, the camera panned over the barra brava or maybe the screaming eagles, and this one guy turns his back to block the wind and clearly started to light bowl? everyone knows what a bowl is right? the camera moved away pretty quickly and there was not mention or anything, but it was pretty obvious to me what was going on. Viva barra brava and screamin eagles

Posted by: jay | October 16, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game.

What a game!!! Moreno totally changed the game with his style. Quaranta needs to go back to the drawing board after the way he shot today. Doe is a wizard! Twellman is still a punk.

Well done United!

Posted by: moreno4prez | October 16, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

yep, it's a whole different team with Jaime out there.

I thought we would win 2-1 and we did. But their goal looked to be a good 5 yards offside.

Janicki looked very solid. Any idea how badly he is hurt? Why is everyone on this team injured?

Posted by: Glenn | October 16, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping whatever injury Janicki has, it's minor. And hopefully no one re-aggravated anything either.

Posted by: Section 130 | October 16, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Great game, guys.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 16, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Any road trips to Columbus?

Posted by: Curious | October 16, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

The lads were a fist of a team tonight. A fist of a team!

Posted by: Ray Hudson | October 16, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

...say hi to dadryan :)

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Shalrie "Pippi Longstocking" Joseph

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 8:38 PM
==================

You should identify yourself to get credit for that one.

Just got back. My 6 year old was disappointed not to see Moreno start., but got excited when he came in at 60. And was thrilled when Jaime immediately got the assist. He's also happy with the free team poster... and the stuffed Talon... and the ice cream.

Louis Crayton for Secretary General of the UN. Did you see how he got Nyassi to go back and apologize to the DC player (Guerrero?) whom he fouled. Dude gets respect from his opponents.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

As much as Quaranta's misses aggravated me, they were chances that nobody else on the team has been creating. He tries to hit them TOO perfectly. If he just took a hard crack at them, he'd likely at least put them on frame, and maybe we'd have an easy rebound to put in.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 16, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

burch's free kick in the first half was a rocket. even matt reis had trouble keeping it out of the goal.

Posted by: garret | October 16, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

...say hi to dadryan :)

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 11:24 PM

Granted I am a chronic toker in the Hulk that is RFK. I am a very low key smoker, never imposing on any ones mellow vibe...Never smoking in view of the tv cameras that's for sure.
Very happy to sit on the loud side this time, but not right up in the mix... Smoked hella at half time though..

Posted by: dadryan | October 16, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

not with the Barra or the SE though. thanks for thinking of me though..

Posted by: dadryan | October 16, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Here's the video highlights.

Feel free to stop and replay that supposedly onside Rev goal and tell me it was actually onside.

Posted by: Juan-John | October 16, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Such an awesome win though... yeah.!!!1

Posted by: dadryan | October 17, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Their goal was definately onsides. I said it while at the game and the replays confirm my initial thoughts.

Posted by: GoUnited | October 17, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Martinez keeps him onsides

Posted by: GoUnited | October 17, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

For those who went to the game, you may have missed a Revs handball in their box. Should have been a PK. Really surprised no DCU players held their arms up in protest.

Posted by: Glaucon | October 17, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Yea! Sweet Victory. All is well when Moreno is in. DId you notice it all started going right when he stepped into the game. He is still the Man!

Shalrie "Sonic Hedgehog" Joseph

Posted by: RRP | October 17, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

"I like that United has both Moreno and Fred on the bench, available for a final 15-20 minutes of "If we don't get a goal here, the season's over!" soccer, if needs be."

Good call, DCUInWheaton

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Oh Snap!! I'm afreaid to call that awesome, because it was even better than that. DCU playing as well or even better than they've played all year, but unable to put it in the net. They go on a break so promising it seems like there's no way they won't score, but Emilio somehow manages to give it up. THe Revs come back with a great counterattack, leaving Crayton helpless (by the way, I've now looked at those replays several times and I'm 100% convinced the Revs' play was onsides all the way -- just a really well-timed run).

It's looking grim, but Soehn looks to his bench and finds some magic. Jai-me Mo-reno! Two magnificent goals by Doe. Sprung by Jaime's pass, he puts a serious move and makes a great shot to beat Reis, who left just enough room at the near post. Second goal -- by rights, he probably should have gone done with Parkhurst pulling at him, hoping the ref would have the sense to call a penalty. But, Doe refused to trust in the refs, and he fought to stay up and get the ball. He struck an incredible shot to beat Reis, this time to the far post. Sheer ecstasy! Utter Bedlam! I threw my beer after Doe's first goal! I never throw my beer.

Bill in Md -- you stole my line. I was going to promise to name a child, boy or girl, Francis Doe. If he never does anything else to remember while wearing the DCU kit, we'll never forget his performance tonight.

Doe actually looked really good all game. Even before his goals, I thought it was his most skillful performance.

I might add that Louis Crayton's save on that free kick late in the first half -- was the #3 play on SportsCenter's top plays. Definitely deserved to be there. Too bad they didn't also recognize how extraordinary Doe's performance was. Either of those goals could earn Goal of the Week. Forget Schelotto. Doe gets my MVP vote, if United makes the playoffs -- and, yes, just on the strength of one game.

Columbus -- look out -- there's a big, bad, black head of steam headed your way...

Absolutely magic tonight.

And the Boston Red Sox somehow borrowed that DC United magic to stave off elimination tonight, too. The biggest comeback ever in a postseason elimination game. There was magic in the air tonight.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 17, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

If you ask me, I'll say what I had before:

Castro was onsides, but Twellman was not. Since Twellman did become part of the play developing, the linesman could have legitmately stuck around to put his flag up when Twellman made the play.

Posted by: Jacob | October 17, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glaucon | October 17, 2008 12:29 AM

I was screaming when that happened. I saw it, although it would have been a harsh pk in retrospect.

Posted by: GoUnited | October 17, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Even if DCU gets into the playoffs, I honestly feel that they don't have enough to get by Columbus in the first round and even then, chances are they would meet NE, (not a likely victory) or Chicago (Everyone knows DCU history against Chicago in the playoffs) and then either Chivas or Houston in the finals, if they are lucky enough to get there. They just can't beat either of these teams' quality at the moment. I have been and still am a loyal DCU fan, but looking at what is happening in the west right now, I'd say that Chivas is the team that is going to leave people with their mouths hanging open this season. MLS Cup Final- Columbus-Chivas, Chivas 2-1 Champs.

Posted by: Dakeeper | October 17, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Great game and result. DC makes the playoffs (w 40 points) but in the West - KC will fill the 4th East coast spot.

Everything is possible. History shows that any team that makes the playoffs can win the Cup.

If DC make the MLS Final would they be considered the Western Conference Champions?

Love the impact the playoff runs have on the regular season. Wonder how overseas players - used to the traditional up and down season - feel about the playoff system. Every year playoff races get real interesting, even in a small league like this.

I thought this season was over for United a few weeks back. Now its all possible. What a great night.

Posted by: oz4dcu | October 17, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse