Midday Kickaround

*A 25-year-old from the D.C. area runs a nonprofit organization that helps build low-maintenance soccer fields in Guatemalan communities where children often have no place to play except garbage-strewn lots or hard-to-reach fields. Read the story here. Watch and listen to the photo essay here.

*Maryland (9-3), ranked No. 6 by Soccer America, hosts Lehigh (5-3-3), which is unbeaten in four straight, at 7:30 tonight at Ludwig Field. Also, Georgetown (7-2-3) is at American (4-5-2), at 3 p.m. and the No. 16 Hoyas women (9-1-2) host Syracuse at 3 p.m.

The men's top 10: 1. Wake Forest (12-0-0), 2. Creighton (9-1-1), 3. Akron (9-1-2), 4. Northwestern (10-0-2), 5. St. John's (10-1-2), 6. Maryland (9-3-0), 7. UC Davis (11-1-1), 8. Illinois-Chicago (8-1-4), 9. South Florida (7-2-2),10. Louisville (9-2-2).

The women's top 10: 1. Notre Dame (14-0-0), 2. Stanford (12-0-1), 3. UCLA (11-0-2), 4. Portland (11-1-0), 5. North Carolina (13-1-1), 6. USC (11-1-1), 7. Texas A&M (12-1-1), 8. Florida (11-2-1), 9. Virginia (10-2-1), 10. Florida State (10-2-1).

*Read about the incredible career of Bernd Stange, who will lead Belarus against England tomorrow.

*Looking ahead to tomorrow's WC qualifiers on TV:
South Korea vs. UAE 11 a.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Norway vs. Netherlands 1 p.m. FSC
Greece vs. Switzerland 2:25 p.m. Setanta
Germany vs. Wales 2:45 p.m. GolTV
Czech Republic vs. Slovenia 3 p.m. FSC
Italy vs. Montenegro 4:45 p.m. GolTV
Australia vs. Qatar 5 p.m. FSC
Belgium vs. Spain 6:15 p.m. Setanta
T&T vs. USA 8 p.m. ESPN, Galavision
Portugal vs. Albania 8 p.m. Setanta
Canada vs. Mexico 9 p.m. Telemundo

By Steve Goff  |  October 14, 2008; 1:10 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , College Soccer , World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Good, the Bad, the Coyote Ugly
Next: Show Us the Money!

Comments

Goffer, no Mason love? surely if you can shout out AU you can shout out Mason game.

Posted by: MasonUnited | October 14, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I assume that you'll not be flying to T&T because the US is already in the hexagonal. Too bad. You'll miss out on really good dark rum and "Indian" food unlike any Indian food you'll find here.

There's hope, though, if T&T makes it to the final 6.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 14, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Goff any idea on tickets sold for Thursday nights game at RFK?
I am sure you'll update us on Crayton's shoulder and maybe Emilio's status as well when you know.
Thanks

Posted by: dadryan | October 14, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Mason doesn't play today, do they?

No T&T for me. I've been there once before...a USA qualifier during Carnival!

No idea on attendance for DC on Thursday. I would guess low to mid teens.

Posted by: Goff | October 14, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

GolTV loves Wales

Posted by: pimpdaddy | October 14, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

GolTV loves Wales

Posted by: pimpdaddy | October 14, 2008 1:50 PM

They also love matches they can afford to broadcast - hence 'Gales'

Posted by: Kev | October 14, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

And you won't be able to buy angostura bitters!

Posted by: RK | October 14, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Steve. Hey I sure hope lots of folks come out for the last league home game of the year! I know it's a school night and all but I'm sure United could use all the support they can get.

Posted by: dadryan | October 14, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Interesting story on love.futbol (the Guate story)...but the last field built 10 months ago? And no concrete plans for another?

Posted by: RK | October 14, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

-------------

What a long, Strange trip it's been! Bwahaha I kill me.

Posted by: S | October 14, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

FSC also has Australia-Quatar at 5:30 a.m.

Posted by: Brian | October 14, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadryan | October 14, 2008 2:10 PM
==============

It's not a school night for Mont. Co (all MD?) kids - Friday is a school holiday. My 6 year old is excited about going to the match and cheering for Moreno. I'm excited because I get to go to another match (well, it's not really for me. You see, my son really wants to go and I don't want to disappoint him).

Nice to see that one DC resident is able to get soccer fields built. Maybe McFarland should hire him.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 14, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

What a long, Strange trip it's been! Bwahaha I kill me.

Posted by: S | October 14, 2008 2:18 PM
===========

Well played.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 14, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Mexico vs Canada
9pm Telemundo

Andres Cantor is my favorite announcer for soccer.

Posted by: Atl | October 14, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Soccer for Life is a non profit 501-(3) C organization designed to enable all the children of the Western Hemisphere to have the opportunity to play soccer, the beautiful game.

www.vidafut.blogspot.com