Moreno Makes It Official

As we told you earlier today, D.C. United captain Jaime Moreno is retiring from the Bolivian national team. He issued this statement a short time ago:

"The time has come for me to say goodbye to the Bolivia national team after 17 years. It's time to step aside and let the new group of young Bolivian players take over. It will be very special for me to play my last national team game in front of all the fans that have closely followed my career in Washington D.C., a place that has been my second home for the last 12 years. I want to thank Coach Erwin Sanchez for giving me the chance to come back to the national team, and my family and the fans for their continued support all these years."

Moreno's farewell game will be Wednesday night at RFK in a friendly against El Salvador.

By Steve Goff  |  October 20, 2008; 4:53 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Kickaround
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

I know Moreno didn't exactly have a phenominal scoring record but I'm sure Bolivians every where will thank Moreno for his contribution to the Bolivian National team. Now though he only has to concentrate on United.

Posted by: Jalapinho | October 20, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Simply one of the best. It was more than an honor to have seen Jamie play for both DC and Bolivia and im am grateful for all his contributions to our Bolivian national team, muchisimo gracias Jamie!!

Posted by: DjB | October 20, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Good for Jaime. I'm glad he gets the chance to get a cheer from the crowd and finish on his terms, rather than by someone else's choice.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 20, 2008 1:42 PM
---------------------------------------

I don't know about cheers, maybe jeers. Salvador fans will outnumber Bolivian fans at least 2 to 1 and something tells me they wont be in the cheering mood for Jaime.

Props to Jaime for his service but as far as the Bolivian National Team goes his boots wont exactly be hard to fill. Much better club player than national team player. Either way thanks for the effort #99

Posted by: Reality | October 20, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Jaime!

Posted by: BigWave | October 20, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Reality has a point.

It seems that Bolivia really hit its peak in the qualification to the 1994 World Cup and in the Copa America in the early 1990s, so it's difficult to say that Jaime's had a stellar national team career.

It's good to see that Bolivia has recently gotten a few good results, so perhaps they're headed in the right direction.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | October 20, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

moreno did notthing for bolivia, except a couple of goals here and there, but besides etcheveryy and erwin sanchez, there is not player that has the skill that moreno had. His career in MLS is a highlight for many bolivians who have done nothing, all the new players coming in are weak...

Posted by: dc fan | October 20, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Are tickets available?

Posted by: sitruc | October 20, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I think the game is invite only

Posted by: Anonymous | October 20, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Reality has a point.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | October 20, 2008 6:14 PM
-----------------------------------------

Reality has a liberal bias....

Posted by: Anonymous | October 20, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

bolivia didn't use moreno's talents well in the late 90s. he's best as a possession player, they just wanted him to counterattack all the time, because they play so conservative.

Posted by: scar | October 20, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Reality has a liberal bias....

Posted by: Anonymous | October 20, 2008 6:56 PM
---------------------------------------

I was gonna go with conservative bias but meh

Either way congrats Jaime on your national team career, I'm guessing the DC retirement isn't far off. I'd say he's got one more good productive season in him before he's a permanent super sub.

Posted by: Tony T | October 20, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I'll never forget his goal for Bolivia vs the US at RFK on June 12, 1996 (ok, I looked it up). It was a stunning 50+ yd run down the right side around Agoos. If memory serves correct, soon after he was with United.

Posted by: wyo fan | October 20, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

BTW I was in the stands and remember the stunned silence (it was very early in the game). Never did see a replay and can't find it on the web tonight. Anyone have a link?

Posted by: wyo fan | October 20, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wyo fan | October 20, 2008 10:31 PM
------------------------------------------

I was at that game, RIDICULOUS GOAL
I think that's the game that had the DC front office chase after him. That's when he was still with or had just left Boro in the EPL.

I really wish we had more YOUNG south american prospects like Jaime come to the league instead of OLD south american players.

Posted by: Tony T | October 20, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Moreno's goal wash't " a 50-yard run AROUND Agoos," as if Agoos was standing still and let Moreno pass him. In fact, it was a 50+ yard run with Agoos chasing him all the way. Moreno was dribbling the ball and still pulled away from Goose. Phenomenal.

Posted by: Hedbal | October 20, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

The line about reality having a liberal bias is a Colbert classic.

Posted by: Jacob | October 20, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

what a way to go out.

Posted by: Pino | October 21, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

A great player and a class act. Still one of the most feared attacking players in MLS. Makes everyone around him better.

Posted by: Ron | October 21, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Is his MLS retirement going to be quick to follow?

Like I said before I know his kids are young but its never too early...

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 21, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

His kids cant all be that young, didnt he already have his son when he joined United in '96?

Anyway, on topic, good luck to Jaime in everything that he does in life. Hope to see him stick around DC for a while either way.

Posted by: Too Old | October 21, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

To cap off his run past Agoos, Jaime megged Brad Friedel at the near post. Pretty impressive.

Jaime Moreno - future Bolivian National Team coach?

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 21, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Morning Kickaround? Steve? Anyone? Anyone?

I guess I'll have to start the day with... work.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 21, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

It's good to do something different every now and then, I-270, Exit 1.

:-)

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 21, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

whats the story w/ tickets to this game? none appear to be available on ticketmaster, is it sold out??

Posted by: qwerty | October 21, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Congratz to Jaime, for going out on his terms.

Posted by: dogboy | October 21, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: qwerty | October 21, 2008 12:06 PM
--------------------------------------

You'll be able to get tix at the game, it wont sell out but I do expect a large Salvadorean crowd. General admission

Posted by: Lars | October 21, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Good for Jaime. But ES is gonna shut him down tommorow.

ES wins 2-0 IMO.

Posted by: ES | October 21, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Jaime and Agoos should try their famous RFK footrace again and see who wins.

Posted by: Blesters | October 21, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse