Moreno to Announce Bolivia Retirement

Sources tell the Insider that D.C. United's Jaime Moreno has decided to retire from the Bolivian national team and will make his final appearance Wednesday night at RFK Stadium against El Salvador. (This, of course, is completely unrelated to his club career.)

Moreno, 34, seems likely to enter late in the game, a curtain-call of sorts for one of Bolivia's most accomplished players. He began his national team career in the early 1990s and, at age 20, was the youngest member of Bolivia's 1994 World Cup squad.

The Bolivia-El Salvador friendly kicks off at 8 p.m.

More later.....

By Steve Goff  |  October 20, 2008; 1:23 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU's Traveling Party
Next: Afternoon Kickaround

Comments

Good for Jaime. I'm glad he gets the chance to get a cheer from the crowd and finish on his terms, rather than by someone else's choice.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 20, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Well the good news is that United will have Jaime's undivided attention next season. I just hope his knee surgery won't go the way of Olsen's ankles...
Let's see assist #100 this weekend Jaime!

Posted by: dadryan | October 20, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I could br wrong, but didn't Moreno retire from the BNT once before a couple years ago?

Posted by: Ron | October 20, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I really need to learn to read all the words in a heading

Posted by: AJ | October 20, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ron, I might be wrong with you. I think that after his boy became the head coach, he went back out of a sense of loyalty and patriotism. Of course, i could be wrong with the details. I usually am...

Posted by: yankiboy | October 20, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

What's the crowd looking like for said game, out of curiosity?

Posted by: Section 130 | October 20, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Moreno should also leave DC, go to a coach academy and come back as the new DC head coach...DC needs fresh legs and explosion on the offense, its true that Moreno can protect the ball, but that's about it...shoot me

Posted by: platini | October 20, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm interested in crowd size too. How does one get tickets and how much are they? The ticketmaster website won't let me look at tickets for that event.

Posted by: sitruc | October 20, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse