Morning Kickaround

*My full match report on DCU-Cruz Azul is available here. On a side note, Jaime Moreno said he is appealing MLS's decision to suspend him an extra game after his red card at Dallas on Sunday. A ruling is expected today. "Hopefully we can get the right answers and the right decision," he said. "I think it is very unfair. It wasn't on purpose [the elbow that struck Andre Rocha in the face] and I didn't swing like to say I meant to do it."

*DCU Coach Tom Soehn was pleased with the debut performance by central defender Greg Janicki, acquired on loan from USL2 Pittsburgh: "He has done well in training camp. He came out of Pittsburgh and he was a little unfit -- he had been off for a while -- but he's been making great strides and I think athletically he's pretty good. He still has to figure out when to play safe and dump balls over the top but he competed hard, he was a handful back there and stopped a lot of plays. He had a pretty good day."

*The USL continued its stirring year in non-league play as Montreal won at Olimpia (Honduras), 2-1. Both the Impact and Puerto Rico Islanders are 2-0-1 at the midway point of their respective Champions League groups.

*The USSF might announce the national team roster today for the Oct. 11 World Cup qualifier against Cuba at RFK Stadium. Final details are being worked out. It's unclear whether Bob Bradley will unveil a player pool for the Cuba game as well as the T&T trip four days later or just the list for the first match with plans to introduce additional players before the second game. My guess is that Bradley will stick with a veteran group for the Cuba game and, if the team wins to clinch a final-round berth, several secondary players will be added. An early clincher will also allow Bradley to test different players in the Nov. 19 finale vs. Guatemala in Denver. Advance ticket sales for the RFK event are around 14,000 at the moment.

*His name is Messi. He's really good.

*In case you missed it the other day, video from Houston's 4-4 draw at Pumas:

*The next Women's Professional Soccer draft will take place Monday at 2 p.m. ET. Four rounds, with Washington holding the 1st, 3rd, 17th and 28th picks.

*MLS tonight: Two teams in need of points face each other at Pizza Hut Park as FC Dallas hosts San Jose (9 p.m. ET, ESPN2).

By Steve Goff  |  October 2, 2008; 7:30 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , D.C. United , MLS , USL , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: United-Cruz Azul
Next: USA National Team Update

Comments

Good morning.

Posted by: B.A. | October 2, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Barca wound up winning that match? Son of a...

Posted by: Section 130 | October 2, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Can't imagine the San Jose-Dallas game will get ratings against the vice presidential debate.

Posted by: -K | October 2, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

"Midfielder Ben Olsen's wife gave birth to their first child, Ruby."

Posted by: RK | October 2, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Columbus Dispatch reporting this morning that potential ownership group for the Crew is separate from the group pursuing a team in Vegas, but instead is part of a push for local ownership.

Now we can focus on winning the league and the cup.

Posted by: Clem | October 2, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Is 14,000 a lot of advance ticket sales? I was hoping we would get around 30,000 for this game.

Posted by: Ameobi | October 2, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

People, 14,000 is unacceptable for a USMNT match for the first time in DC in years. We all ridiculed the crowd in Chicago last month, but are we going to do the same?

Let's encourage folks to come out and ensure that whenever and wherever the US national team plays at home, it will have a large and rocking following. Especially in DC, one of the hotbeds for soccer here in the States ....

Posted by: J | October 2, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

United's effot last night was better than I had expected. Sad to say that. At one time I would have expected a lot more from our club. But after reading Soehn and Quaranta quotes about the CCL being an afterthought now and how DC has to focus on the league, my expectation level for Champions plummeted. Cruz Azul is a good club. It could have been by much more, I know. But at least 1-0 isn't embarrassing.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 2, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Ben and his wife for growing the expanding soccer community by one.

Looking forward to Ben's new soccer store TV ad as Meghan picks up a Beckham binkie for little Ruby.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 2, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

That's weird about the WCQ ticket sales. When I called the other day to buy tickets it was nearly impossible to find a pair together in the midfield sections. I ended up in 329. It sounded like the corner sections were pretty wide open though.

A lot will depend on the weather most likely. You would think with the big youth tournament going on that weekend that that will generate some attendance.

Posted by: Glenn | October 2, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

14k for a Saturday night game? Yikes. I was going to fly up for the game but 1) flying is pricey right now and 2) it's Cuba.

Posted by: RK | October 2, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

@ Joe & Ameobi:

I agree that the ticket sales for the WCQ with Cuba are a dismal disappointment. I'm also not gonna front coz before I was always a lock for any local USMNT or USWNT game in our area--even if they were friendlies. I haven't decided if I am going yet. I think the apathy about this game might be rooted in the fact that it is Cuba (let's be real, six or seven guys might defect before the game ever kicks off). So I think that the product plays a big part. With many of us supporting United and sometimes other sides, United being busy in Champions play (more fixtures) and economic caution, being a little more choosy about purchases (not trying to get political--its just a reality); paying to see a game but already watered down Cuba side may in fact trump my normal "USA!USA!USA! Sam's Army-reprezent!" mentality. If it Mexico or Honduras or Costa Rica then I would definitely scrape up the ca$h and post. But because it is Cuba, my enthusiasm is a bit down.

Maybe I am in a vacuum on this one, but I don't think so. Then again, I might be. I never anticipated that the first Nats game back at RFK would even be a doubt for me. Not unless I was in the ground or the hospital. I am embarrassed to admit it but I try to always keep it "real". I find it kinda sad...

Posted by: yankibou | October 2, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

On a happier note: Puerto Rico Islanders--my boys didn't get the 3 points but we went down to the belly of the beast and are heading back with a draw. You guysw can only imagine some of the lip that I was getting from dudes in Municipal jerseys when I was rockin' my Islanders jersey at the DC Latino festival in Mt. Pleasant last week (it was pretty much all in good fun, which was cool). I told them that they shouldn't sleep on us like Santos and Alajuela.

Just consider me another footsoldier for General Colin Clarke and la tropa naranja.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 2, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Is it possible for Puerto Rico to play Montreal in the CCL final? That, IMO, would be the best match-up. Why should MLS suffer all the embarrassment?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 2, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Will we be getting player ratings from last night?

Dissapointed we lost, but I still left feeling proud of the effort. That was some of the best team defending and collective play United has shown in a long time. The two goal line clearances finally had the team not giving up. Thomspson's play was reminiscent of Gros's. and I thought Wells played like the keeper we expected to get.

Zaher I though showed well again. After getting burned in the first couple of minutes which had me worried if he could handle the pace I thougth Janicki was a very solid and pleaseant surprise.

Also wasn't McTavish playign in more of a A-mid role the first half or were he and Vide both playing holding/d-mid?

I hope the "presumed" starting 11 was watching because and gained some inspirationa dn motivation, becasue I'd rather see those guys out there then a helf hearted shambolic effort was alleggedly more talented guys.

Put Quaranta in for a off and towards the end dissinterested Moreno and I'd give good odds that team could actually beat Chivas on sat.

Fianlly recogniztion to Boyzzz for coming over the ad boards and shaking the fans hands along the supporters side after the game. Guy plays with convition and pride...glad to see him in our colors

Its looking like we have the right group of players and developing depth for next year... we just need to get a competant fitness and conditioning coach and program for next year so we can get some stability.

Posted by: WC | October 2, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

14k pre-sale, a week and a half prior to an almost meaningless, non-hex qualifier against a low profile soccer country? Not that bad. They just need to encourage walk up. I say 22,000 total - which would be twice the amount as Chicago last month. RFK had nearly 20k for Panama in a similar match 4 years ago. Average attendance for semi-round qualifiers is only about 12 or 13k in recent years.

Posted by: Kev | October 2, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

What's up with Kei Kamara's and Holden's goal celebration after goal #2?

Looks like some kind of Polish line dance . .

Posted by: delantero | October 2, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The attendance for the USMNT in Chicago v T&T was low for a few reasons:

- First it was a mid-week game played on a Wednesday (Chicago never draws a big crowd for weekday games and our fan base which stretches into Iowa, Wisconsin, and Indiana would not make the trip)

- Second there was not much advertisement for this match in the Chicago area so many people didn't even know about the match.

- Finally the ticket prices are high for these matches so those on a budget or dealing with this economy stayed home.

Enough of the excuses as I was there and the atmosphere was rockin even with only half of the stadium filled. Just be sure to make as much noise for this upcoming chance to secure advancement into the HEX.

PS - had the match been on a Saturday like you get in DC the place would have been full.

Posted by: Gilly73 | October 2, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Cool, there's a very early game on right now -- Wisla Krakow v Tottenham, UEFA Cup.

Posted by: RK | October 2, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

So if I show up with a "FIRE SOEHN" banner to RFK for the next match, will security escort me from the stands?

Posted by: bristol | October 2, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

re: bristol

where do you sit?

depending on that answer, some fans might kindly ask you to lower it...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

yankiboy: Mira. Link to an article on Clark and the Islanders.

advantage.

Hawaiians may dispute the statement that Puerto Rico is home to the only tropical rain forest on U.S. territory, but it's an interesting article nevertheless.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 2, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Re: last night's CCL match - some of the boys showed up to play, that much is clear.

Khumalo (amusingly referred to as "Doctor Khumalo" by the Telefutura crew - thanks for the old school name drop) looked nicely dangerous and unafraid to *attack*. Janicki showed some poise and skills, and should get more minutes this season with the #1 squad. Some of the other reserves used their time in the sun (ok, the rain) wisely and played well for the most part.

That was a better, more fun-to-watch United squad than I've seen in the last few games. CA did not necessarily have their A team on the pitch, but still....

Says it all about this season to have lost on a butt-shot on goal. Still, moments of hope were on display. Lets have more this Saturday.

Posted by: 22206 | October 2, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Continue looking forward to the day when nerds don't feel the compulsion to type "USMNT". Ridiculous.

Posted by: Jon | October 2, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Barca wound up winning that match? Son of a...

Posted by: Section 130 | October 2, 2008 8:01 AM

Yes -- exciting finish, though perhaps not an entirely deserved win. First goal came after a Shaktar Donetsk injury -- the Donetsk players thought there should have been a foul called. Then, Barca compounded their ire by playing forward, when some of the Donetsk players were expecting a gentlemanly return pass. Still, the goal shouldn't have happened -- the cross should have been held by the keeper. 100%. He let it squirt pass him, right to Messi. I could have scored that one. Messi's winning goal, on Barca's final attack of the game, was much more impressive.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 2, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"Towards the end disinterested Moreno"? The end of what? Surely you don't mean last night's game. He was trying to create right up to the final whistle. In the added time, he treated us to what might have been his coolest move ever -- as he just held the ball while 2 defenders went around him, trying to dispossess him or anticipating a back pass. Then, he turned and pushed through them, and drew a free kick when the next defender swept his legs out. Genius. Pure genius. Hardly "disinterested"...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 2, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

yankiboy says:

"I'm also not gonna front coz before I was always a lock for any local USMNT or USWNT game in our area--even if they were friendlies."

-"Front"? What does that mean? Be easy on us geezers and don't make us look this stuff up in online dictionaries all the time. Maybe it's just me -- I don't get out much to hear how the youth are talking these days.

Anyway, I'm iffy for that match myself, for the same reasons you cite.

Posted by: gringo | October 2, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The Cruz Azul reserves beat the DCU reserves on a fluke goal. The DCU reserves had a good match and showed more spirit and energy than their first-eleven colleagues have on too many occasions this season.

Janicki shows promise. He had a fine match and deserves some minutes in a league match.

If Kirk wasn't injured, Khumalo should have been brought in for Dyachenko, who continued to be Mr. Turnover. If Kirk was healthy, why yank him? He was having a decent match? I guess that's why Soehn is coach and I'm not.

Posted by: Running Cloud | October 2, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I saw the first half, and Donetsk was handling things very well, shows what I get for going to work and forgetting to Tivo the rest of it.

Is it me or are we seeing a rise in the lack of a timely play out in cases of injury?

Posted by: Section 130 | October 2, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

don't know what game you guys were watching --- this was a contest between two 4th division clubs --- terrible, ugly soccer --- when DCU's starting 11 are on the field, its (maybe)a 3rd division caliber team --- this franchise has tanked --- fire kasper and soehn, they're the culprits

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Anonymous. Until Cruz started running in the last quarter, there wasn't a lot for either team to be proud of -- DCU did create one great chance in the first half, but what was Doe doing so clearly offsides? And they had a chance out of nothing when DCU was denied by the woodwork on a long shot (Khumalo?). Not much there for DC to crow about. They stayed in the game, but look at the opposition....

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Tot 'n' Ham advances. So, at least they have that going for them.

Posted by: RK | October 2, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone see the US play Cuba a few weeks ago?? One of the worst games I have ever watched. I am surprised they have sold 14 tickets much less 14,000.

Posted by: Uncle Sam | October 2, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

If BB calls up EJ, I predict a sell-out.

Posted by: RK | October 2, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if the upper deck (400 level)with be open for US-Cuba?

Will any USMNT practices be open to the public?

Posted by: tim | October 2, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I want to go to the USA-Cuba game but last I checked the cheapest tickets were $60- way out of my budget. Maybe thats why only 14K are showing up.

Last nights game was fun to watch- reserves trying to prove themselves on both sides. I thought DC was the better team for most of the match but the breaks didn't go their way.

Zaher, Thompson, Cordeiro, Kirk and Doe all showed promise. How they would have done against another teams starters- who knows- but its something to look forward to in the future. Since our central defense has been so bad lately I hope Janiki see's some time in a more meaningful game.

Posted by: laur | October 2, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I also think that if Khumalo had been in for the whole game DC may have come out with a goal.

Posted by: laur | October 2, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

They may have been two third string teams, but nonetheless DCU looked better last night than in many games past. Zanicki really showed promise. It speaks volumes for Soehn's team picks that a third string looks better than his first. It's time for him to go.

Posted by: Conrad | October 2, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

It just might be me but when DC plays an international squad does the attacking front seem to play in slow-mo. Ive kinda noticed it for a while. Players would blast past 3/4 of the field but once they are near the six, they start to struggle and slow down. It might just be me. Anyone else notice it.

and good effort from DC, did alot better against Cruz Azul than expected.
Man everyone will hate me for saying this but if DC continues to play like that (well against the MLS teams) I dont want them to try to make the play-offs unless they drop a 2005 galaxy miracle. Whats the point to make it to the play-offs if they will be beat and raise the hopes of thousands for nothing. Im looking forward to next year, i wonder what it will bring.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 2, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

for all you oh 60 bucks is to much, I would understand if this was another superliga united match but come on this is your national team. WAKE THE ___up. I hate to pay for it to, with the economy and everything but ITS our Countries team simple as that. When do you get games like these 1 in 3 years? If you are looking for cheaper tickets there is some in LA NORTE's section for $30. WE will be rocking the joint. I know the eagles, sams army will be there, Im not sure how much there tickets are. I don't think Barra brava will be there but I could be wrong.

Posted by: dc fan | October 2, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

$95 / $100 Club Seats
$75 / $80 Mezzanine
$50 / $55 Midfield
$38 / $40 Sideline
$28 / $30 Endline

Posted by: Kev | October 2, 2008 12:50 PM

Just for the hell of it, I looked on Ticketmaster.com for singles at the $28 level -- none available. There were singles available at $38. (I suspect after TM's fees it's closer to $50/seat.)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 2, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 2, 2008 1:12 PM

I looked too - and that's insane. Guessing the numskulls at the Federation didn't release enough cheap seats to Ticketmaster. Honestly, I'd call US Soccer, or DC United and demand the properly priced seats. Or give someone at Sams Army, Barra, Eagles or Norte a shout. Also guessing they don't want to open the upper level to artificially create demand.

Tickets for this match should range between $5 and $15. I'm sick of this luxury level ticket pricing.

Posted by: Kev | October 2, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The last WC qualifier here was Panama in 2004 when EJ had his hat trick. The way I look at it, when we do get a USMNT game here you have to take advantage of it. USSF can and does go elsewhere. Granted, with Cuba playing here, there won't be expats from CONCACAF countries who usually come in large numbers to support their "national" teams. Last night we were outnumbered again by Cruz Azul fans like we were for Saprissa. Even though seasons ticket holders got "preferential" pricing, I think they overpriced the CCL games. Its depressing when you are outnumbered for a "home" game.

Posted by: sbg | October 2, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

TheWashDipsSince88:

The teams we face in international tournaments often defend in a more cerebral manner than in MLS, where the defending is mostly done through physical challenges. We don't get the gaps and space that we do against MLS teams, so we have to slow down.

As for the "I hope we don't get into the playoffs" mentality, I'm just never going to get that. I'm not picking on you in particular, or saying you're wrong. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 2, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

you what will be funny if 8,000 out of the 14,000 fans for that game were actually Cuban. And the rest US fans and on-lookers to see if an upset would happen.

HAHA!

and I agree the CCL is overpriced but if you think of it. Its probably the cheapest Champions league in the world, I presume!
Not sure!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 2, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Chest Rockwell

The mentality is just saying cause if DC continues to play like they do whats the point to depress their fans. If you look through these posts alot of people are very supportive and would want to see DC go on (as well as myself) but I dont see past the reality. I cant blame the players or staff. They know what they are doing. Obviously something is not going right and it doesnt look well either. But we can only do is hope but then again, why make the play-offs if your gonna crash out of it. And right now, everyone is hoping for a 2005 galaxy miracle where we slip into the play-offs and somehow win the cup! But I dont see that happening! I just hope that any issues would be fixed for next year!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 2, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

as one of the 14K pre-sale all I have to say to TheWashDipsSince88 - not funny!!!

I bought 4 tickets should be a good game. It's be so long since the MNT was here....

Posted by: bobf | October 2, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I think another reason that attendance could be down is that, for many of us soccer fans with kids, the game is on Columbus Day weekend which is a HUGE weekend for soccer tournaments. Most people with kids playing at any level above rec are probably in a tournament somewhere (possibly with travel) that weekend.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | October 2, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jon | October 2, 2008 10:31 AM

___________________________________________

Huh? So it is hip to waste time writing out "U.S. Men's National Team"? Thanks for the lesson on how to be cool.

Posted by: J | October 2, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Yes sir you are wrong we will be there loud and crazy as always supporting the National team ......

Posted by: 135 | October 2, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 2, 2008 10:28 AM
Great article, thanks for the link. The author should take his next vacation on Kaui. Are they going to have another Pan-American tournament this offseason?

@yankiboy: I'm not going to front, I feel everything you spit. In these trying times I think we're best to keep our Pockets Straight. That being said, no one should fear that they can't walk up to the ticket window and buy a ticket on gameday @ RFK right? Will call, service charges, etc are for the birds.

Posted by: dadryan | October 2, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

You know it's been way to long since your last Hawaiian vacation when you start misspelling Kauai!
I am out of it.

Posted by: dadryan | October 2, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: J | October 2, 2008 2:46 PM
================

And you have to type out whatever "J" stands for - Jay?

Posted by: Interstate Two Hundred and Seventy, Exit One | October 2, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: J | October 2, 2008 2:46 PM

I think "US" will suffice... but I don't want to poke the hornets nest.

Posted by: Kev | October 2, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 2, 2008 10:28 AM

----------------------------------

AS may those in the Pacific Northwest....

Posted by: AJ | October 2, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobf | October 2, 2008 2:15 PM
___________________________________________

are you hurt? you sound kinda hurt, did not mean to hurt you...

psh...
grow up kid, enojy the game!
it was just a thought

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 2, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

The Pacific NW certainly has rainforests, but not ones of the tropical persuasion.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 2, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Dude... What's a Sounder?
Olympic National Forest=temperate rain forest
Waikamoi Forest on Maui=tropical rain forest

Posted by: dadryan's wife | October 2, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

All this geography talk can make a man really start missing the Pacific Northwest pretty quick...
When is the expansion draft anyway?

Posted by: dadryan | October 2, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Why we won't be hearing many German accents around the Soccerplex next summer:

Posted by: The Jeff | October 2, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Since when did Barra Brava as a fan club start supporting the US??? To me it always seemed like Barra members supported the US as individuals. Every Barra member I met at Us games was with Sams army not Barra Brava. If I remember corretly I read a post on big soccer on soccer insider coming directly from a guy named "CHICO" that Barra is not an official supporter of the US team. If I am wrong please prove me wrong but the facts are facts.

Posted by: The Choir | October 2, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

many of the DCU supporters are illegals from central/south america - so of course they won't support the USA team --- they'll come here to work and suck up USA resources --- but then they'll wave their crappy flags from wherever they come from when team USA competes --- makes me wanna puke

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I think you need to do some research before you start posting, the only reason i posted anything above was because its true, it not made up or i am not just genearlizing a group of people. I sat with LA NORTE in 2005 when us played panama and in 2002 when the us played uruguay and i was outnumbered by hundreds of us fans who were not exactly want you call blue eyes and blonde hair, yes you got that right they were hispanics. the knock is much more on BArra brava as a supporters group, it just seems to me that the owner has his views and supporting the US is not one of them. Members from Barra do support the US, I have seen them at home and away games. If you want to see some support come out to the game and find out for yourself. I will be there in section 108 with the family.

Posted by: The Choir | October 2, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

The Barra will be supporting the US team because our members asked for it.

FYI, Oscar, the founding member and myself are Bolivian and the Barra did not support the Bolivian NT when they were here a couple of months ago.

Posted by: Chico | October 3, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse