Morning Kickaround

*Houston stays on track for a Champions League quarterfinal berth with a 2-1 group-stage victory over visiting San Francisco (Panama) at mostly empty, football-lined Estadio Robertson. DeRo to the rescue from about 30 yards in the late moments, rescuing backup keeper Tony Caig, who got chipped on the equalizer. The winning goal is at the 4:40 mark of the video:

*Meantime, Cruz Azul and Marathon remained tied atop their CL group with a 1-1 draw in Mexico City.

*Several MLS teams will be impacted by national team call-ups this weekend, but once again, Toronto's lineup is devastated.

*The USA jumps seven slots to No. 21, surpassing Mexico along the way, in the lastest irrelevant FIFA men's rankings. The USA women remain No. 1. Speaking of the women, the USSF announced that the national team will play friendlies against South Korea in Richmond (Nov. 1), Cincinnati (Nov. 5) and Tampa (Nov. 8).

*No. 12 Maryland (men) comes from behind to edge No. 20 Charlotte, 2-1, in overtime, Virginia routs Liberty, 3-0, for its fifth straight win, and top-ranked and reigning champion Wake Forest overpowers 2007 final four team UMass, 2-0, to improve to 11-0-0.

Anything else you'd like to discuss?

By Steve Goff  |  October 8, 2008; 9:02 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , College Soccer , MLS , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll Time
Next: USA in D.C.

Comments

Yes...Goff ...see what you can find out about Convey when you are hanging out with the MNT. Either he is injured AGAIN or he is up for a loan or something as he was not named to the Reading Reserve Team game for tonight and he certainly fits the bill for a reserve.

Posted by: Beckster | October 8, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

How's turn out looking for this weekend's MNT game? Still tracking for around 20k? I think you'd mentioned 16k tickets sold the other day.

Posted by: maw | October 8, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Why would anyone, let alone Goff, at nats training know what Convey's status is this morning? He hasnt been with the USA in so long, is he even in the player pool anymore?

Posted by: DCU UCD | October 8, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Tony Caig has to be the worst goalkeeper in MLS.... and that's saying a lot.

Posted by: G | October 8, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

16K sold by last night.
Three days till the match.
I figure around 20K, but no way to pinpoint such things.

Posted by: Goff | October 8, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

While trying to talk to USMNT, maybe you can check on the rumor that Frankie will make it to Chicago on Sunday where the Crew will most likely wrap up the supporters shield on Columbus day.

Posted by: Clem | October 8, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I just gotta say that Dwayne is a beast. I wish the US had such an agro monster.

Steve! Will we see all the same concessions at RFK on Saturday? Is there any sort of effort to be made to enhance the *game day experience*? Does the USSF set up and sell merchandise at this type of event?
Thanks

Posted by: dadryan | October 8, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I have no idea about stadium concessions.
You'll have to call RFK or DCU.

Posted by: Goff | October 8, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
In the offbeat category do you happen to know what game was on in the back ground of last night's episode of NCIS on the plasma in the directors office?

Were the cast or crew watching a late morning champiosn league match on ESPN in between filming and left it on vs change back to a news channel as was probably called for in the script?

Is the director a Soccer fan?

Posted by: Curious | October 8, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Is that a serious question?
Regardless, I don't watch NCIS.
Anyone out there have an answer?

Convey's status, RFK concessions, TV shows......come on guys.

Posted by: Goff | October 8, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

So I looked at the "irrelevant" rankings and I think they look pretty good. Since the rankings revamp, I think they have been pretty accurate.

Posted by: mizage | October 8, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Are we still going to get more on Michael Bradley today? Looked like the beginning a very good article.

Posted by: btwigg | October 8, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Bradley feature tentatively set for Thursday's print edition.

Posted by: Goff | October 8, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Crap, my bad. I thought it was Thursday already....wishful thinking on my part. Hey, at least I didn't ask about Convey, concessions or NCIS.

Posted by: btwigg | October 8, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I'll throw one out there:

Champions League Attendances

We know what the European product is. It's big. It's important. It has money and it's fairly polished when it steps on the field.

I feel like I could run the Champions League branding for CONCACAF with an inkjet printer and my iPod better.

Attendances are small at most games. A lot of MLS fans aren't going to DC and Houston games because the matchups aren't sexy like a Chivas or Club America and the economy is pinching people's ability to fork out money for the tickets - but what does CONCACAF think about the first 3.5 rounds of this so far?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | October 8, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Bobby Convey was a DC United fan favorite.
It would be great to get him back, since it looks like he's fallen out of favor in Redding, and add Ryan Nelson as our DP center back - he will control the middle and organize the defense.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Guevara is out for Toronto...so what? He hasn't been mentioned since he joined that team.

Posted by: RK | October 8, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

What's the status of John O'brien? Is he making a comeback? Any news on a shirt sponsor for DC United? What are the ticket sales for the Son of Insider's soccer game? How are you feeling today? *wink*

Keep up the good work! :P

Posted by: strago | October 8, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I would bet that we Convey back in MLS -- with Philly.

Posted by: RK | October 8, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Without Fred, Moreno, Emilio, Gallardo (28 goals total - out of 41 or 68% of DC goal scoring). Who is going to score for DC?
This is even worse than last year when DC lost Moreno and Emilio in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The reason that Goff could find out about Convey is (a) Bradley is in regular contact with Coppell about Hannahmann and convey who are definately in the player pool and (b) Convey started the season out very, very well and was playing regularly until he went he got some type of knock in one of the games. Convey isn't coming to MLS....unless the injury situation is so significant that he can't play 1st team in the Championship.....money issue....

Posted by: Beckster | October 8, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Wait, what was Convey doing on NCIS selling concessions?

Posted by: Section 130 | October 8, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Good grief Charlie Brown! There are a dozen players who aren't on this squad. Should Steve waste valuable Q&A time with Bradley asking about them all and then following-up with NCIS, CSI, CSI New York, and CSI Miami?

Hey Steve, Susan's new boyfriend/housepainter on Desperate Housewives is a soccer fan. Can you find out which team(s) he supports? [sigh]

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 8, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't get the Tony Caig bit. The guys wasn't that great in Vancouver. He left the Whitecaps while they were still pushing for the playoffs last year due to family problems/personal reasons.

The Kinnear (one of the best coaches in the league) signs him and Caig looks sorry the first few chances he got to play.

Why is he even the number 2? Because of his experience? Because he is relatively cheap? What gives?!?!

Posted by: yankiboy | October 8, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

There are a million questions I would ask Jozy about playing time, other players, but you would just get generic answers.

Ask him about the town -- it is so small (40k) that Villarreal must be a drastic change. As a foodie, I'd ask him about the fantastic food there, such as the ham or agua de Valencia (orange juice, vodka and cava -- it sneaks up on ya!). Or ask him if he has been to Valencia...or what level of competition that 5th-division squad he scored 3 on would be compared to (US college? USL?).

Posted by: RK | October 8, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

it's depressing wathing a side exhibit that much poise and attacking prowess against a quality opponent, when DCU has looked so blah this year. And what an absolutely world class strike from DeRo.

Posted by: Matte | October 8, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Goff - can you ask around? My car's right front side rattles (just a little) when I hit the brakes while going between 75-80.

Thanks

Posted by: JSF | October 8, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

How much space have people used up whining about the food and overall conditions at RFK? If my question was so irrelevant I sure as hell hope I don't read one single complaint about how bad RFK sucks this time around...
If you smell something funny out in the concourse, don't be alarmed, it'll just be me and my boys rolling, smoking, and drinking our own. And no you can't have any!
Go USA!
They must let the press bring in their own picnic baskets...

Posted by: dadryan | October 8, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Of course by rolling I mean burritos, and smoking I mean salmon and sausages:-)

Posted by: dadryan | October 8, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Has that friendly between Bolivia-El Salvador been finalized?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | October 8, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks

Posted by: JSF | October 8, 2008 12:02 PM

______________________________________________

Sounds to me like you have a problem will your alignment or the need for your wheels to get balanced.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | October 8, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I would bet that we Convey back in MLS -- with Philly.

Posted by: RK | October 8, 2008 10:59 AM

How does one convey back, and is that street slang for something dirty?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

No question here -- just wanted to express my sympathies for the Toronto FC fans. I guess this is the price they pay for having a really talented team, with a bunch of national team players. Maybe, someday, DC United will have players that good.

Posted by: FIsch Fry | October 8, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I know -- it just means that Toronto is really lazy with their scouting -- signing all these national team players, instead of working hard and finding all those 'little' gems that DCU brought in this year...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 8, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Out of curiousity, whos missing from TFC thats playing for their respected Nat. Teams?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | October 8, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Yes, El Salvador-Bolivia is finalized. Oct 22 at RFK at 8 p.m.

Posted by: Goff | October 8, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Stop whining! Dear god is THIS what it has come to?

Toronto Envy?!?!?

Last time i checked Toronto, despite their national team players is not burning up the MLS standings..
Looking at the standings Toronto suck just as bad.

Posted by: Stop Whining | October 8, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

STOP WHINING!

I'M A COP YOU IDIOT!

Who is your daddy and what does he do?

I'M DETECTIVE JOHN KIMBLE!

Posted by: Arnold Schwarzenegger | October 8, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | October 8, 2008 12:23 PM

Oh, that's not all that needs to be better balanced in JSF's situation.

Re: the car, I'm gonna go with a bad ball joint. The Oxygen sensor's probably bad, too. Yeah, I listen to Car Talk.

Posted by: Beaker | October 8, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Another relevant question: If you have four homing missiles, one on each corner of a square whose sides are each ten miles in length, with each missile aimed at the adjacent missile in the square in a clockwise pattern and all missiles are launched simultaneously, what is the length of one of the resultant flight-path curves measured from launch to detonation?

Posted by: Ron | October 8, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Goff, how come you haven't done any live chats lately?

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | October 8, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron | October 8, 2008 2:18 PM
================

I asked around. Here are the answers:

"It's classified." Robert Gates.

"It will never work." Nancy Pelosi.

"And you Americans put these missiles in where, Georgia or Poland?" Dimitri Medvedev.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 8, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

European missile or African missile?

(hurrying up to post this before RK does)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 8, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I just got out of a meeting!

Posted by: RK | October 8, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Wait -- are these Iranian missiles? Because the photos are doctored -- one of these missiles didn't launch.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@ Bolivian DC fan -- click the link and read the article.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Is Jaime Moreno getting called up by Bolivia? They have WC qualifiers at home versus Peru and Uruguay Saturday and Tuesday.

Posted by: garbaggio | October 8, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Does everyone need memory cards installed?

Posted by: td | October 8, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

anyone interested in tonights rsl new stadium opening on espn2?

Posted by: Atl | October 8, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

And I thought today was Wednesday.

Posted by: RK | October 8, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse