Morning Kickaround

*Houston moves closer to clinching the top seed in the Western Conference, thanks to Stuart Holden's two goals, including the winner in added time, to down San Jose, 2-1. The Dynamo was shorthanded for almost the entire game after a red card to Kei Kamara. Read the juicy details here. With the loss, the Quakes are all but eliminated from playoff contention.

*My DCU must-win match preview is available here. For the Revs' perspective, read this. Reminder: If you are planning to attend the match at RFK or are taping at home, kickoff is around 8 p.m., not 7:30. The earlier listing is when ESPN2's pregame show begins.

*Our online chat starts at 11 a.m. ET. Submit questions, follow the action live and read the transcript at this link.

*Think you are good enough to play in USL2? Here is your chance.

*Robinho, on his struggles and Brazil's attacking woes following another 0-0 draw at home: "I wasn't the player I always hope to be. We are a long way from what we could be, from the Brazilian football which has always been strong in attack."

*Catch USA women's star Abby Wambach (Washington Freedom) on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" this evening around 5:45 p.m.

*Highlights of El Salvador's 3-0 victory over a PDL team Suriname. Enjoy the happy music:

*Venezuela 3, Ecuador 1:

By Steve Goff  |  October 16, 2008; 9:25 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CONCACAF Clarity (Sort Of)
Next: Joe the Keeper

Comments

Go motherland go!

Posted by: Ed | October 16, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Columbia scoreless again? That's 4 goals in 10 games, but since they've only given up 8, they are 7th of 10. Last-place Peru has more goals.

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Steve, thanks for bringing some closure to the Crayton story in the print edition. It matters.
Go!Go! United!

Posted by: dadryan | October 16, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Loved how the San Jose defenders raised their hands to call for offside on the game-winning goal. Oops!

And what's the likelihood of a guy scoring two goals in a game, both off of rebounds off the post?

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 16, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Colombia, too.

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc, I was goign to say the same things about both of Holden's goals being rebounds off the post...creepy irony there!

Also, defenders who stop playing appealling for offsides calls are like baseball players not running out routine grounders to first. That guy should get cut for that second Holden goal.

Posted by: Josh | October 16, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Good to see Moreno score the game winner for Venezuela. Truly massive.

Posted by: Clem | October 16, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Holden scoring two goals off of rebounds isn't irony, Josh. Ironic would be if Holden had previously said he hated goal posts and nothing good ever came from them and then proceeded to score two goals from them.

What he did is just good luck and bad defending.

Posted by: Man | October 16, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Nice camera work in El Salvador. Followed the action, got the goals, followed player celebrations, showed crowd reaction shots, showed the pretty women...and fireworks!! I think there's obvious TV sports director potential. FSC could use that person.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 16, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

As for the other game -- Ecuador's defense was just awful...maybe even worse than DC United's. That first goal was definitely the worst example of a defense doing nothing since United allowed that free kick that bounced for a goal against FC Dallas.

I would like to add, though, that Cevallos looked pretty good in goal, in those highlights. I see he's 37 years old, but it seems to me that he'd be worth a look by any MLS club...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 16, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads-up that kick is at 730 tonight, Steve. I printed my tickets from my account yesterday, and they say 730pm. I guess ESPN fooled the DCU office too!

Posted by: Fairfax | October 16, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I love that vid...Can't wait to see ES in the next round. First time in more than a decade we will be in the last round of CONCACAF. I'm hoping for big things :)

Posted by: ES | October 16, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I can think of no country's soccer team in the world that would benefit more from allowing dual citizenship than Suriname. There must be loads of lower division, and maybe even 1st division, Dutch league players of Surinamese decent who wold never be good enough to play for Holland, but would drastically improve Suriname.

Posted by: JDO | October 16, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

brasil stink

Posted by: LOL | October 16, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Man:

You call it good luck, but Holden's goals last night were really down to getting into better positions than anyone else. The 2nd one was about as impressive as tap-ins get. Remember, he'd been playing 80+ minutes in central midfield on a team that was down a man, and still managed to keep up with that counter to get onto that rebound. The finish was easy, but the sprint forward to be in the box is where the goal is really scored.

If you're the Seattle FO, how badly do you hope Houston leaves Holden unprotected?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 16, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@Chest I hear that. He's taken some heavy knock as of late as well, and seems to keep coming back for more while so many others(DCU) can't stay healthy longer than a three game stretch.
Word of the Day: STRETCH.

Posted by: dadryan | October 16, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I dunno dadryan, stretching seems to be detrimental to me. The only time I get injured in a rugby or soccer match is if I've gotten a "good-stretch" before the match. It seems like I'm at my best when I show up 2 minutes before game-time and quickly throw on my boots and have a quick jog/sprint from sideline to sideline.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 16, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse