Morning Kickaround

*FYI, beginning early next week, lnsider loyalists will need to register with washingtonpost.com in order to submit comments. All Post blogs are affected. The purpose is to block spammers and deter unsavory comments, particularly in the political discussions. I will keep you updated as I learn more from the online administrators.

*An Americans abroad update: Charlie Davies scored in the 67th minute of Hammarby's 3-0 Swedish win over Djurgarden, Troy Perkins went 90 minutes in goal in Valerenga's 3-1 Norwegian victory over Lillestrom, and Danny Califf (Midtjylland) and Jeremiah White (Aarhus) played 90 minutes apiece as Califf's club earned a 2-1 Danish victory.

*ESPN2 will show both games of the New England-Chicago first-round playoff series: Thu., Oct. 30 and Thu., Nov. 6.

*No. 6 Maryland (11-3) goes for its fifth consecutive win tonight at West Virginia (4-5-5), which has scored just eight goals all year. Meantime, Georgetown's game against Notre Dame, postponed a few weeks ago because of a campus-wide illness, will be played next Wednesday in South Bend, the schools announced.

*Euro/CONCACAF TV options today:
Zenit St. Pete-Bate 12:15 p.m. Setanta
Manchester United-Celtic 2:30 p.m. ESPN2
Juventus-Real Madrid 2:30 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Fenerbahce-Arsenal 2:45 p.m. Setanta
Juventus-Real Madrid 5 p.m. (tape) ESPN Classic
Porto-Dynamo Kiev 6 p.m. Setanta
Montreal-Olimpia 8 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Cruz Azul-D.C. United 10 p.m. FSC, Telefutura

Back soon with MLS playoff scenarios.....

By Steve Goff  |  October 21, 2008; 8:58 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moreno Makes It Official
Next: MLS's Playoff Race

Comments

Steve,

Any word on whether the DC United home playoff match will be on November 1st or 2nd? Saturday is my wedding anniversary, so I really need the match to be on Sunday if I can go ;-)

Posted by: J | October 21, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm really happy about registration. Nobody can steal my name to post witty or insightful commentary instead of my usual work.

Posted by: Colm | October 21, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree. I hate it when people steal my name and post things that are actually funny.

Posted by: Colm | October 21, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I will no longer be posting in protest.

P.S. I wouldn't have made this decision.

Posted by: Hope Solo | October 21, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

hahahaha good one colm!!! oh! wait who am i talking about? LOL

Posted by: 135 | October 21, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

@J:

The ticket people are saying that "tentatively" it's the 1st. Sorry?

Posted by: Section 130 | October 21, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Don't like the registering bit, but I would prefer WaPo storing my username in a cookie or something. Takes too long to type it in for every post, esp. in game. That'll be one plus of the new system.

Posted by: Giannicolus Jones | October 21, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired of people posting under my name, too.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 21, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

>The purpose is to block spammers and deter unsavory comments, particularly in the political discussions.

This is exactly what I expect from the liberal media! Freedom of speech! 1st amendment!

Yes, I'm kidding :)

Posted by: RK | October 21, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

It just means that only one person will be posting funny Hope Solo jokes. Time to register a bunch of aliases!

Posted by: strago | October 21, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

@J: tell your wife that the theme for this anniversary is "Sports"

@Giannicolus Jones: either pick a shorter username or let your browser save entries on forms.

@Steve: Thanks man. Morning Kickaround lets me put off work for another few minutes.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 21, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

You should be able to select your name if you just click on the box -- old IE/Firefox feature, remembering form input. Seems that you may have it disabled?

Posted by: RK | October 21, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

DCU is planning to play its home playoff leg on Sat., Nov. 1 at 7:30, but as mentioned above by Section 130, it is indeed a tentative arrangement.

Posted by: Goff | October 21, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Colm | October 21, 2008 9:52 AM

------------------------------------------

Curse you, Fake Colm!

Posted by: Colm | October 21, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Do you have any rumors of DC United scouting any college players?

Posted by: Wondering | October 21, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

if either NY or KC losses and DC and Colorado win do we make the prayoff since we are 1-1 with them but we beat them 3-0 and they beat us 2-0?

Posted by: maybe a stupid question but... | October 21, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Playoff scenarios will be on a separate thread soon.

DCU looks at all college players, but is certainly not sharing information about who they like.

Posted by: Goff | October 21, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Thursday playoff games stink. Who can make it in time from work? How do you take kids on a school night? I see empty seats in the stands.

Posted by: krolpolski | October 21, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Reveal my identity?

Give up my other post aliases?

Am I going to have to take responsibility?

Just kidding

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | October 21, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@maybe a stupid question but...

DCU's poor record has already put us in the "prayoff". If our prayers are answered, then we will be in the "playoff".

Posted by: Postmaster | October 21, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

well i spelled wrong lol but do we make the playoffs or not!!

Posted by: maybe a stupid question but... | October 21, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

----
----

If DC and Colorado wins, they'll both be on 40 points.

Colorado will get 3rd in the West.

RSL will finish on 39 and be out.

The West will likely send only 3 teams while the East will send 5.

DC just needs to worry about winning on Sunday, and hoping either NY or KC loses earlier in the week.

The Colo/RSL match decides who gets third in the West, and who misses the playoffs. Colo needs to win, or else RSL are in.

Posted by: Don't quote me on this | October 21, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Why everyone is talking about DCU going to the playoffs? DCU is not in the playoffs yet. It looks that they need to beat Columbus in Columbus. A difficult task, specially with the crazy fans over there.

Posted by: Abogado del diablo | October 21, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Curse you, Fake Colm!

Posted by: Colm | October 21, 2008 10:22 AM
-----------------

Why would you be angry with me?!

Posted by: Falk Colm | October 21, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Crazy fans in Columbus? It's the Chuck E. Cheese of MLS.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | October 21, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

DirtyHarry -- it's the Chuck E. Cheese of MLS, yes, except in the ultra supporters corner!

Posted by: Bill in Md. | October 21, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Ultra's corner? BFD, they'll either throw a streamer at you or yell the N word.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | October 21, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Curse you, Devil's Advocate!!

Posted by: DeepCover Alias | October 21, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

In the race to register clever usernames, I'm sure I'll edge you out by a hair.

Posted by: Ben Olsen's Beard | October 21, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I guess that I won't be posting after next week.

Posted by: Tom Soehn | October 21, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Abogado del diablo | October 21, 2008 11:25 AM
-----------------------------------------

Dude I LOVE your commercials on TV, especially the one where the family thinks they're gonna be rich and puff they're broke LOL

Posted by: Hutch | October 21, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Aren't some of us already registered? Your website welcomes me when I hit it.

Posted by: JMR | October 21, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

So I just thought I'd check in to say Berbatov was offside on BOTH of his stinking goals vs Celtic so far.
Let er' rip.

Posted by: dadryan | October 21, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

great. Let's register. Now this post will become the dadryan blog.

Posted by: dadryan | October 21, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

So, that was interesting. ESPN cut off its taped delay broadcast of Juve-Real Madrid, just as the game was about to go into stoppage time. Anybody know if Juve held on?

Posted by: Ghost of Heidi | October 21, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Juve held on, but you probably already know that by now.

Posted by: dadryan | October 21, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

It's kind of funny because I was thinking the same thing(to the fake me).

Posted by: dadryan | October 22, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse