Morning Kickaround

*Jaime Moreno's final appearance for Bolivia's national team is tonight at RFK in a friendly against El Salvador. With a creaky knee and DCU's critical league finale four days away, don't expect to see him until late in the game. Kickoff is 8 p.m. Tickets are available at the stadium for $45.

*The CONCACAF Champions League match between Saprissa and Marathon scheduled for Thursday night in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, has been postponed because of severe weather. A makeup date has yet to be finalized.

*More good news for the USL: Montreal is headed to the Champions League quarterfinals after a 1-1 tie at home with Olimpia, improving the Impact's record to 3-0-2 in group play.

*CONCACAF games tonight include Pumas at Houston, 10 p.m. (Fox Soccer Channel). In the first meeting, the teams played to a 4-4 tie in Mexico City.

*Chivas USA will head to the MLS playoffs without midfielder Sacha Victorine and defender Lawson Vaughn. Victorine, who has made four starts and scored twice since being acquired from Kansas City last month, is out two to four weeks with a sprained knee. Vaughn, on the season-ending list since last month, had ankle surgery this week and will need six months to recover. It was not a good year for Vaughn, who suffered facial injuries when kicked in the face, had tendinitis and sprained a knee ligament.

*In college soccer, Jeremy Hall's 10th goal lifted sixth-ranked Maryland (12-3) to its fifth consecutive victory, 1-0 at West Virginia, while ACC rival Virginia (8-4-1) relinquished a late two-goal lead and settled for a 2-2 tie with Longwood.

*Copa Sudamericana, Estudiantes 2, Botafogo 0. The second goal comes on a rocket by some guy named Veron:

I'll be busy with college hoops much of the day and not sure when I will rejoin you. However, you can catch me on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" this evening between 5 and 6 p.m. See ya at RFK tonight!

By Steve Goff  |  October 22, 2008; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , College Soccer , MLS , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United-Cruz Azul, the Aftermath
Next: DCU-Cruz Azul Video

Comments

Longwood??? Ug.

Looks like Chivas is going to have a repeat of last year...going into the playoffs with injuries.

Posted by: RK | October 22, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

maybe you will take time out to comment on reports in the Italian press about Beckham going on loan to AC Milan for 6 months (beginning in January) at no charge.

Posted by: dfd6060 | October 22, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Wow, that Veron guy looks good. we should try to sign him...

Posted by: Section 130 | October 22, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I want Veron!!!!!!

Posted by: The Jim | October 22, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The Veron debacle before the start of the season was an ominous sign...

Posted by: jgildea | October 22, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

How many people usually show up for international friendlies like El Salvador/Boliva? $45 is a steep price...

Posted by: Kevin | October 22, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

(+)Positives from last nights game . . . Boyzz played very well . . . we need to sign him long term, pay him big MLS money . . like at least 60 K!!

Posted by: delantero | October 22, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | October 22, 2008 9:27 AM
__________________________________________

Boyzzz did play pretty well. He just needs someone to pass him the ball better and he would definitely be scoring some goals! He has the foot skills and ball possession, if only he could get the ball more often.

Posted by: Kayla | October 22, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Goff. Stop posting Veron clips. You're killing me.

Posted by: ohboyohboy | October 22, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

@ Kevin: The ES-T&T matce drew a little over 20K. The ES-Guatemala drew, I believe, close to 40K.

In the Drunk Fan Running Onto The Field betting pool, I'll put $5 on the 68th minute.

Allez Montreal!

Vamos Puerto Rico!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 22, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I bet Veron doesn't regret for a second not leaving Argentina for the money. He doesn't really need cash but he needs those screaming multitudes to do what he does. In MLS were just not in the same stratosphere as Argentinian fans... even in DC. So long as MLS keeps adding teams with NFL gridiron lines on the fields we'll remain a joke. Treat the sport like a joke you get treated like a joke. I can't imagine Seattle's field being very pretty around this time of the year. At least were getting Red Bull Arena in.

Posted by: Felix | October 22, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"Tickets are available at the stadium for $45"

What the hell is wrong with the sporting world right now? $45 dollars for a friendly at a crumbling stadium - Jesus. Talk about gouging a small, vested fan base.

Nothing, I mean nothing, should cost more than $20 when housed at RFK Stadium. For $45 dollars, I would hope to be lining up in goal for one of those sides.

Posted by: Kev | October 22, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

My conspiracy theory is that the DCSEC assumes a lot of these folks may or may not pay taxes, and have some disposable income. I don't want to generalize too much but how many of these folks do you think are worried about their 401ks?

Posted by: dadryan | October 22, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for bringing up yesterday's news...

Steven wrote-

*FYI, beginning early next week, lnsider loyalists will need to register with washingtonpost.com in order to submit comments. All Post blogs are affected. The purpose is to block spammers and deter unsavory comments, particularly in the political discussions. I will keep you updated as I learn more from the online administrators.

Any chance they enable the sign-in link on the blog? Ever since August when they switched the blogs to the url "voices.washingtonpost...." the sign in link hasn't worked.

I've reported it over a dozen times on the website and have yet to hear back. It's damn inconvenient having to go back to the main page of the website just to log in, then find your way back to the blog just to leave a snarky two-line comment.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 22, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadryan | October 22, 2008 10:23 AM

Ha - fair point. I don't even think this is a Bolivia-ES issue, I think $45 is too much for any match.

Posted by: Kev | October 22, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Veron seemed pretty enamored with his jersey. Maybe DCU could get him if we changed to white with red stripes...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 22, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Well, Estudiantes is Veron's boyhood club, that is a case of sincere badge kissing. I've never really understood why he would leave. Oh yeah, money.

Posted by: Kev | October 22, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

_____________________________________

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Posted by: btwigg | October 22, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Is that you, Lou Dobbs?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadryan | October 22, 2008 10:23 AM

Are you serious?? Yes, some of the fan base for an El Salvador game may be here illegally and may not have 401(k)s, but does that mean they are rolling in dough? I guess they enjoy working manual labor jobs for $10 an hour just for the fun of it.

For the record, I don't understand the pricing structure either. I make a six figure salary and am not sure I would pay $45 for a U.S. World Cup qualifier at RFK stadium, let alone a friendly match.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

In my work I meet plenty of Salvadorans and Bolivians who have proper immigration documents, and I don't think the ones who don't have 401(k)s are exactly relishing their good fortune these days.

Sigh . . .

Posted by: gringo | October 22, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Sigh . . .

Posted by: gringo | October 22, 2008 11:27 AM

Good point

Posted by: Kev | October 22, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

As if anything that happens to your 401k impacts the cash you have access to?

Yeah, I'm sure the illegal immigrants just take home so much more in untaxed dollars.

Posted by: RK | October 22, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

On a lighter note -- great goal by Veron, but the other team sure did give him a lot of room to set up that shot. Note to self: Veron starts taking aim, gets That Look in his eyes, someone oughta step up to him right away . . .

Posted by: gringo | October 22, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Before this gets out of hand, I was actually just taking a light hearted stab at the folks who are making money off of RFK, and wildly speculating about their *logic* in setting a flat ticket rate for the match.
I live an a neighborhood that's plenty full of Salvadorans and a fair share of Bolivians. Familiar with Buckingham anyone?
I'd also bet that more of these folks probably don't go to DCU club matches as much as some of us and this may be the only match they go to this year.
I realized going to see the US vs Cuba that while I was slightly irritated at the price gouging that I wouldn't miss it for the world. $45 for any seat in the house is a pretty good deal if you get into the right Mezzanine or sideline seat. I'd imagine that there are some seats that are in the 400's that wouldn't be half bad in a fairly packed stadium.
Anyway don't turn this into some sort of twisted political/race issue thread on account of my "conspiracy theory"
Yikes!

Posted by: dadryan | October 22, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

This discussion is proof the Big Lie works.

The truth: Many illegal immigrants do pay taxes. They are working under bogus social security numbers. Therefore, they pay FICA and withholding.

The difference between them and you is they can't file a tax return and get a refund, and they won't be able to collect that Social Security when they're older. They do pay in their taxes and but they won't get anything back.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 22, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Enough with the immigration and tax withholdings already! I took dadryan's comment as a tongue-in-cheek dig against the organizers or DCSEC - as he intended. The rest of you should do the same.

dadryan: you need to use a bunch of these ":-)" things. I've learned that many readers here take everything literally and are eager to be outraged.

[note the irony of my being outraged by the outrage]

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 22, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

dadryan: you need to use a bunch of these ":-)" things.

Seriously! I feel like a 12 year old girl when I use emoticons, but they certainly help out here on the intertubes. OMG LOL :-D

Posted by: Kev | October 22, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I "hate" the Montreal Impact but I got to give the Quebecois side a lot of credit. They have played fantastic. They never complained about "fixture" congestion. They have showed the sort of class that their side has to offer. they are representing themselves and the USL really, really well.

I still "hate" them but they deserve mad props.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 22, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya Fisch, the funny thing is it took me a minute to realize phone cards aren't the only thing those dudes with the bikes and the grocery bags are selling back in the cut.

Posted by: dadryan | October 22, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Is that you, Lou Dobbs?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 11:21 AM
----------------------------------------

How dare you compare me to that conspirasist xenophobe dadryan
=P

Posted by: Lou Dobbs | October 22, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I changed my usual after-work run so that it took through Lot 8 and along a nice bike trail on the Anacostia...the ticket price does not seem to have affected the many people I saw already getting tanked at about 5:45p.m. Actually, it was primarily men, I saw maybe 5 women and one guy with his kid.

On a related note: Do not drive anywhere near the vicinity of RFK, I did not see much evidence of any designated drivers.

Posted by: D C B 2 3 | October 22, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Like I said I don't see many dudes in the neighborhood sweating the money they're spending on a good time.

It's a man's world.