Morning Kickaround

*The CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal slots that have been filled: Montreal, Puerto Rico, Atlante, Pumas, Santos, Marathon. The final two will come from Group B (Houston or Firpo) and Group A (Saprissa or Cruz Azul). The quarterfinal draw will take place next month. The two-leg quarterfinals are set for late February/early March.

*Some of you have asked whether D.C. United will need to protect Greg Janicki and Thabiso Khumalo in the Nov. 26 expansion draft, even though they are on loan and not under full MLS contracts. The answer is yes. Anyone on a current roster is subject to selection by Seattle, which would gain that player's MLS rights.

*Is this scoreline accurate: Poli Ejido 5, Villarreal 0? Sure is. A third-division club destroys a La Liga side in the first leg of a Spanish King's Cup early-round pairing. American striker Jozy Altidore played all 90 for Villarreal.

*The latest NCAA men's RPI is now available for the nation's 203 teams. (A once-proud Howard program is No. 202.) The index is weighed heavily in at-large selections to the 48-team national tournament, which begins in about three weeks. If you're not familiar with the RPI system, read this.

*TV Today:
MLS, New England-Chicago 7:30 p.m. ESPN2
Argentina, Banfield-Boca Juniors 1 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Italy, AC Milan-Siena 3 p.m. FSC
Italy, Fiorentina-Inter Milan 5 p.m. FSC
CONCACAF, Municipal-Santos 10 p.m. Galavision

River Plate 1, Newell's Old Boys 1:

Anything else you would like to discuss?

By Steve Goff  |  October 30, 2008; 11:08 AM ET
Categories:  Argentina , D.C. United , Spain , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United-Marathon, the Aftermath
Next: Beckham Loan Finalized

Comments

Yikes, not good news for Jozy that his team got thrashed by a 3rd division side on the road, and he played 90 minutes!

Posted by: billindmd | October 30, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or has Chicago played a lot more Thurs nite games than any other MLS team this season? Not that it matters, just curious.

Ron

Posted by: Ron16 | October 30, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

>Anything else you would like to discuss?
The Phillies!

Awful debut for Jozy as a starter, but I can't find much about his play other than a few chances around the 20th minute. Furthermore, there's little chance they'll advance now, which was his best chance to play. Villarreal hadn't lost in 7 months.

Posted by: Reignking | October 30, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Howard U is still playing sports? Hmmmm I thought we'd given up on everything sthletic in pursuit of being the best party school in the nation. Seriously Howard's soccer decline is embarassingly sad. At this rate we'll never make it from the academic wilderness in any sport.

Posted by: Solnoir | October 30, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

GOff....

Boca V Banfield game was yesterday Boca won 1-0

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | October 30, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

GOff....

Boca V Banfield game was yesterday Boca won 1-0

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | October 30, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@Ron16,

You're not alone - clearly the Thursday MLS games were heavily weighted to David Beckham and Blanco - heavy audiences for national TV and ESPN Deportes.

FC Dallas played every Telefutura game (well almost every one).

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 30, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

FWIW,

The CONCACAF site says that Marathon is in (by virtue of tie-breakers vs. Cruz Azul, must be head to head).

So a draw or a Saprissa win sends the Mexican team out. Sounds like a perfect situation of a handshake 0-0 to me.

Posted by: TrueCrew | October 30, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up on Marathon. I have updated the CL item.

I am aware that Boca played last night; that doesn't change the fact that the game is on TV today, unless FSC's listings are wrong.

Posted by: Steve Goff | October 30, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Solnoir | October 30, 2008 11:39 AM
======================

Unfortunately for you, that distinction is held by the University of Florida (notable alumni include Heather Mitts, Abby Wambach, and I-270Exit1).

RPI no! Elo yes! The rating system of choice for jailed Russian opposition leaders.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

ELO?

Don't bring me down.

Posted by: Reignking | October 30, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Puerto Rico Islanders made it!!! It was very close to being a choke job but General Colin Clarke and the boys got it done. Even though we suffered the heartbreaking loss to Vancouver in the USL1 Championship game, that club "overachieved".

Clarke has been absolutely masterful (and still some of our supporters want him fired--I'm still not sure what they are smoking). His player recruitment and selection, his trying to juggle his other duties as coach of the underfunded senior mens' national team. The guy has been freaking genius. He took a club playing in the fifth season of it's existence and put it on the regional map. A team that regular travels on a shoestring budget and has huge delays and lay-overs (so stop crying Coach Soehn--with all due respect, ear your whining about your trip from Columbus to DC via New York).

I'm living in the moment. Clarke is only "on loan" to us. There is no way that a talent that freaking dynami can stay with such a small club. This may be the best moments that this club ever sees. Not just because of Clarke but because of the economic situation and the credit crunch. Some of our guys should be moving on to bigger clubs--that is all part of the "price" of success. The club will transfer a few for the ones that they have options on if the right deal comes a long for the players. IslandersFC doesn't hold players back but also doesn't allow itself to get shafted when guys move on to Europe or Central America or MLS. The club asks for more than just a friendly and a bag full of new soccer balls.

This may very well be the club's greatest moment. It has been one hell of a ride. Thanks to all of you who have been pulling for my underdog, second division Caribbean side that turned into Giant Killers. It is appreciated.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 30, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

That's gotta be the first time I've seen Ricer Plate Coach Diego Simeone wear a tie...

Posted by: Juan-John | October 30, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I know it would be good for MLS, but I just can't get myself to cheer for Houston potentially moving on to the CCL quarterfinals. Dunno why, maybe I'm DCU-biased? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | October 30, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

So is Poopy McPoop the artist formerly known as Chief Clancy Wiggum?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2008 6:32 PM

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Although, I guess technically, I was registered as Poopy_McPoop before I decided on Chief Clancy Wiggum as my "posting name."

Still doesn't change the fact that Rod Dyachenko doesn't belong anywhere near a soccer field in a DCU jersey.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 30, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | October 30, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Goff...lot's of yanks in action in Europe over the past couple of days. Any insights into why Michael Bradley was yanked after 57 minutes? Other stories of interest in addition to Jozy?

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 30, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

yankiboy: I didn't hear Sohen "whining" about going from Columbus to DC via New York. I *did*, however, hear some whining about going from LA to Tegucigalpa via Miami, with a multi-hour wait in Miami. It's hard to pshaw that one.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | October 30, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | October 30, 2008 12:59 PM
-------------------------------------------
Chris, I seemed to remember his complaining about how they could have flown to Argentina in the time that it tokk them to get back to DC from Columbus. Did I get that wrong? I thought that it was in one of Goff's print articles in the last few days...

Posted by: yankiboy | October 30, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Anything else you would like to discuss?

Goff, what's a nice, locally made alcohol to put my financial support behind?

Posted by: B_A_ | October 30, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I hear there is a lot of demand for ispopropyl alcohol, but I do not know if any is locally manufactured.

Posted by: Ron16 | October 30, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I'd take a flight from Columbus to DC with a layover in NY any day over a round trip in a packed van from DC to Columbus and Columbus to DC in the same day.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | October 30, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I have a question of curiosity for the soccer historians among us: Did NASL teams participate in the US Open Cup?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 30, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I like Hook & Ladder's brews. Nice ales, and they make the best light beer I've tasted.

Posted by: fischy | October 30, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

What number do I call to report the worst food in existence at RFK. It just plain sucked. Last night they didn't even open the first and stadium levels. We buy food and eat in our car. It is cheaper and better.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 30, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

NASL did not participate in USOC.

Posted by: bfv999 | October 30, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@VirginiaFan -- I didn't go to the game, but it seems to me that they could have put out a couple of trays of sandwiches for the fans. Better than the usual fare, and easy. I know that's what organizers do whenever I'm at a seminar -- and those things are better attended.

Posted by: fischy | October 30, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

NASL did not participate in USOC.

Posted by: bfv999 | October 30, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 30, 2008 1:27 PM

No, they did not.

Posted by: IamAM | October 30, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't know for sure if any NASL teams did play in the OPen Cup. US SOccer site says this:

"Despite the prominence of the North American Soccer League from 1967 to 1984, NASL teams rarely showed the inclination to enter the U.S. Open Cup competition. In fact, until the emergence of Major League Soccer, full professional teams were almost non-existent in the competition."

The Hall of Fame site says simply that NASL teams refused to participate.

I can for sure that no NASL team ever played in the final...

Posted by: fischy | October 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Don't suppose you could go back to -- and stick with -- the Chief Clancy Wiggum moniker, could ya?

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 30, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Do you know any insider info on if DC Plan to scout any talent this off season? And where? I remember Macfarlene mentioning this offseason they will be looking more towards Africa than South America.

Or does your gut feeling say that we most likely enter next season with mostly the smae players as this year?

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | October 30, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Beckham loan to Milan nearly set...

"AC Milan's Umberto Gandini has confirmed Beckham will only remain with the club until he is required to return to re-join The Galaxy to train ahead of the new MLS season."

"The deal is for as long as David wishes but I think he's committed to MLS and LA Galaxy will bring him back after a couple of months I think," he told Sky Sports News.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 30, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm not Steve, but this has been addressed before. Every team will scout during the off-season but not one of them will hint at their plans.

The team had a six hour delay at the Columbus airport and then had to connect through NY. I'd be whining too. So would you.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

VBB, well, I hadn't consciously noticed that Dallas was on just about every Telefutura broadcast, but come to think of it, you are right! Why is that? Because there are so many hispanics in Dallas? Or perhpas due to the presence of Mexican players with Dallas?

Posted by: Ron16 | October 30, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | October 30, 2008 1:29 PM

Not locally made. Brewed in NY. Fordham and Wild Goose are brewed in Frederick. Old Dominion is closing up shop soon and brewing in DE.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 30, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Next thing you'll be telling me is that Foggy Bottom is not brewed at the State Dept.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Solnoir | October 30, 2008 11:39 AM
======================

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2008 11:52 AM
________________________________________

Not to mention Danielle Fotopless--oops, Fotopoulos.

Posted by: universityandpark | October 31, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse