Payne Penalized

From the MLS offices late today:

Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber fined D.C. United President and CEO Kevin Payne $5,000 due to inappropriate conduct directed at an official after the D.C. United at L.A. Galaxy match on Sept. 20, 2008.

Payne was upset after the game about several calls made during United's 5-2 loss.

By Steve Goff  |  October 24, 2008; 6:25 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For Quaranta, a Special Day
Next: United's Traveling Party

Comments

Who's got a hat that we can pass around?

I am willing to pony up money to help him out. I was at that game and there is NOTHING he could have said that would not have been deserved.

Posted by: Shanoni | October 24, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't suppose there's any chance we'll find out what he did?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | October 24, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Banned substance abuse.

Posted by: slfjk | October 24, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

He made Garber cry.

Posted by: noptov | October 24, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll give him $10 to pay off the fine and road flare for the next match.

Posted by: Colm1 | October 24, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't suppose there's any chance we'll find out what he did?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | October 24, 2008 6:42 PM
====================

Would it have something to do with the soft red card on Burch for bumping into an off-balance Beckham?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 24, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

It's clear the refs need more exposure to the game and better instruction.

Is there an exchange program? Send some of ours to the Championship or La Liga or the Polish third division. There's an off season coming up, how bout a little out of the box thinking . . . let's hire this guy from retirement . .

Posted by: delantero | October 24, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

"Is there an exchange program? "
Posted by: delantero

We tried some years ago. They sent some Scottish official (somebody help me hear, I forgot his name.) It was quite the debacle. He made MLS refs look like superstars. I think Payne was fined that game, too.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | October 24, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Collina would make an outstanding addition, unless of course VW objects. (They wouldn't because Opel no longer sells in the US).

Posted by: bdwooton | October 24, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Actually the Opels are coming into the U.S. as rebadged Saturns.

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 24, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigBubba1 | October 24, 2008 8:50 PM

Hugh Dallas. The same ref who F'd us in the 2002 WC by not calling the obvious handball on the line by Frings, if I'm not mistaken.

The SuperLiga Final was reffed this year by Howard Webb from England. (Meaning he's from England, not that he sat in England and reffed the match via CCTV.-although I hear that was SUM's inital offer to get a quality ref for the game. Webb had way to much integrity to call the match from a barcalounger with a pint in one hand and a remote in the other).

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 24, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Banned substance abuse.

Posted by: slfjk | October 24, 2008 6:43 PM

Was he drinking Gatorade? He should know better, I always knew he was a doper.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 25, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Fining Payne won't solve the terrible decisions refs make..
MLS FAIL

Posted by: StewartDC8 | October 25, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I am amazed Steve Nichol never is fined. He has fits on the sidelines whenever he comes here to RFK. I am still interested in finding out why Dominic Kinear punched Preki. Anyone know?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 25, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Preki was being himself which generally calls for him to be punched

Posted by: fonkyou | October 25, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Hard to find fault with Payne for saying anything about the referees in this league.

This USER ID thing is lame.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | October 25, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Is there a possibility that we can fine the MLS for hiring Abbey, Stot, Salazar, Hall?

Posted by: TheJim1 | October 25, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheJim1 | October 25, 2008 11:55 AM
--------------------------------------------

Please add Terry Vaughn to this list. He is the one that reffed that game and made all those horrible calls or didn't make for that matter!

Posted by: kris77 | October 25, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Payne - what a class act.

Posted by: LCR-54 | October 27, 2008 7:08 AM | Report abuse