Playoffs? You Kidding Me?

Thanks, Jim.

Columbus, Houston and New England are in the playoffs, Chicago and Chivas USA are on the brink.

New York and RSL are in decent standing after last night's tie. The Galaxy is almost out. Toronto and San Jose are hanging in there. DCU, Kansas City, Colorado and Dallas are on the edge. For the remaining schedule, click here.

By Steve Goff  |  October 10, 2008; 12:42 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Destination: Houston

Comments

Here's an interesting tidbit from today's online Post:

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty said during an appearance on "Washington Post Live" Thursday evening on Comcast SportsNet that he wants to have the Washington Redskins back playing in D.C. "as fast as humanly possible."

Fenty (D) said it "was a big mistake" when the city allowed the team to leave for its stadium in Landover, now named FedEx Field, where it began playing in 1997. Fenty said discussions have begun with the Redskins but refused to attach a timetable to the franchise's potential move back to the city.

"We want to get that done," Fenty said. "But that is an expensive, longer-term project, but one we're working on. The Redskins should play in Washington, D.C. I think it would be great to have a brand-new stadium, one that could accommodate a Super Bowl. So stay tuned."

Sounds oddly familiar to this:

"Thank you Kevin for this D.C. United jersey and congratulations on your terrific season. It is great to see over 20,000 fans here at RFK supporting D.C. United. It is my hope that your fans will soon be coming to your brand new soccer stadium at Poplar Point in Anacostia. World class fans, and a world class team like D.C. United, deserve a world class stadium. And I am going to make it a priority to help you build that stadium. Thank you -- congratulations and good luck to the Black-and-Red!"

-Adrian Fenty on Oct 29 2006 (right before a mayoral election mind you)

link to full article: http://www.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20061031&content_id=77524&vkey=news_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

All this Fenty guy does is blow smoke to try to get more votes. What a pathetic clown. Though all to typical of elected officials.

Posted by: Media Watch Dog Guy | October 10, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Crossing my fingers that United finds the good form and the good luck to sneak into the playoffs. If not, I hope Columbus wins the MLS Cup. The franchise could certainly use a big boost.

In other Post news: Fenty is excited about a new sports stadium in D.C.! Oh wait - wrong version of football.

Posted by: SSMD | October 10, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'll never scoop the self-proclaimed "Media Watch Dog Guy." :-)

Posted by: SSMD | October 10, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking this.....

RSL gets in as the #3 in the West.

NY and Dallas get the two wildcard spots. NY is already ahead, and probably only needs 1-3 points to realistically wrap up a spot. And I think Dallas has the most favorable of the remaining teams.

Things could get really interesting this weekend if Dallas, Kansas City, DC, and Colorado all win this weekend.

Posted by: isaac101 | October 10, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Well, since we're doing an ode to Jim, I'll include this one, as most of it relates to last Saturday's game:

Posted by: Section 130 | October 10, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Last game of the season for Colorado and RSL is in Colorado. I'm thinking that will be for either the last playoff spot, or for 3rd in the West. But advantage to the Rapids, especially if they can manage to kill the Galaxy's playoff hopes this weekend.

Posted by: Malaga CF fan | October 10, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I know this is a different thread, but . .

Why are all you haters claiming Rod was lucky on his goal? He got up high, perhaps misjudging it, but the ball was a little low ---but he clearly AND appropriately did the next best thing and redirected it down and toward goal. Seems like a nice play to me and a deserved result . . .

Sure aren't any other MLS teams that have come so close to winning or even tied in Costa Rica. Props to the boys (including Dyachenko)!

Posted by: delantero | October 10, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Completely apropos of nothing, Mayor Fenty is at it again:

I especially love this comment: "We have a stadium site sitting here ready, willing and able to go. A new stadium could go on there. We could probably donate almost all of the land to the stadium and, I think, build a brand-new stadium that could accommodate a Super Bowl that has all of the new trappings of new stadiums." He seems to have failed to notice that RFK is still SITTING on that site and is being used by DC's red-headed stepchild of a MLS team.

*sigh* I guess we might as well accept the fact that a MD relocation is inevitable at this point. But boy, when I drove out to Bowie from Fairfax for my son's game last weekend, I was struck by how long it took me to get to the New Carrollton area. Call me a fair weather fan, but there's no doubt it's going to impact my attendance. I remember the days of trying to get to the Caps games when they were in Landover, and that was NO fun.

Posted by: JB | October 10, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Isn't the land that RFK sits on owned by the federal government? How is Fenty going to give that away to Snyder?

Posted by: Glenn | October 10, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

You know JB, you don't have to drive your car everywhere. They have this new thing called the Metro. It's really great, it runs on rails and takes you to places all over the metropolitan area, including RFK Stadium, Greenbelt, and New Carrollton. And not only can you ride it to the game, but you can also help reduce carbon emissions, fuel consumption, and traffic by taking it instead of driving by yourself or with three of your closest friends.

Posted by: DE | October 10, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Ideal use of the RFK site would be two stadiums. Of course, the environmental clean-up would take years, and United would need a place to play in the meantime. Unless there's a way to build a soccer stadium on-site, while RFK is in use -- and then tear it down to build a pointy-ball palace.

However, where the city thinks they could borrow money for any stadium project is beyond my ken. Maybe Fenty knows something about credit markets the rest of the world does not? The tax receipts that were meant to retire the notes on the baseball park? Sounds like maybe Fenty is thinking of using them for Skins, not United -- but they could never be big enough for that purpose.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 10, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, REALLY, DE? Metro? Gosh, that sounds great. I'll have to look into that.

Seriously, thanks for your snotty, holier-than-thou reply. In fact, I take the train virtually everytime I go into the city, but when I have a child in tow, as I do going to United games, the Metro becomes a less attractive option, for a number of reasons. Not to mention the 25 extra minutes it would take to get from RFK to Greenbelt by train.

I never said driving was a desirable way to get to the games or that people shouldn't Metro. It's just not a great option for me, and so a longer drive is going to suppress my attendance at games (and thus reduce carbon emissions, fuel consumption, and traffic). But thanks for assuming everyone's situation fits your personal worldview.

Posted by: JB | October 10, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"You are a fair weather fan"

LOL

Posted by: dc fan | October 10, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Where does Fenty do training rides again? I feel like walking dogs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZrxyijba50&feature=related

Posted by: dadryan | October 10, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

How fitting that the gals are even behind the hosers in people's opinion of who will make the playoffs. Lalaass strikes again.

Posted by: Jackmann | October 11, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse