Qualifying Day

The full list of World Cup qualifiers is available here. Already today, Australia and South Korea were winners and Japan was held to a tie at home. Other key matches include:

Chile-Argentina
Germany-Wales
Colombia-Brazil
Netherlands-Norway
Belarus-England
Jamaica-Honduras
Canada-Mexico
Belgium-Spain

The USA match at T&T will begin at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN and Galavision. For a look at the team preparations in Port of Spain, click here.

A couple videos to share:

Bolivia and Uruguay play to a 2-2 tie Tuesday and .....

.....in case you missed it over the weekend, the illogical miss in the Scotlland game.

By Steve Goff  |  October 15, 2008; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: The Latest From RFK

Comments

So I'll watch the U.S. Game live and Tivo this.

Posted by: Giannicolus Jones | October 15, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

You know the media has made a big deal about the Iwelumo miss but wasn't he offside? I watched the game, live though I was still half asleep and I swear the play was flagged for offside. Am I making this up?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Watch the video again - if the flag was up, it was for the player closer to the back post than for Iwelumo.

Posted by: KLB | October 15, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I would have made that shot.

Posted by: Hope Solo | October 15, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I'll be listening to the Ireland-Cyprus match this afternoon - important day in UEFA Group 8. Showing my patriotism tonight by watching the US instead of the debate and baseball :-)

Posted by: Kev | October 15, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Japan absolutely stunk against Uzbekistan. Much like the US, it's just not the same team when it's expected to do the heavy lifting on offense.

Takeshi Okada is in over his spectacles. If he's still in charge come November, qualifying for South Africa will be just a pipe dream.

Posted by: MHiggo | October 15, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

You're beating a dead horse, Hope.

Posted by: RK | October 15, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

We sure appreciated that miss. If only we can somehow find a victory against the Dutch tonight.

Posted by: The Norwegian Public | October 15, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Kind of odd that Uzbekistan (part of AFC) is slightly to the southwest of Kazakhstan (part of UEFA). Kazakhstan shares a large border with China, but played a qualifier in London this past weekend.

Posted by: Kev the Geography Nerd | October 15, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

i sympathize, I totally did that when I was in the 7th grade, it was painful.

Posted by: northzax | October 15, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

It was certainly close to offsides - I'd say off by half a step, but those camera angles can be deceiving. It seems obvious that he did get caught flatfooted, with his weight on the wrong foot. I don't even think it was a shot -- I think he meant to try and control it, but it ricocheted away. Still, no excuse. He should have been ready for the pass.

Not sure what I'll do about the debate -- I don't have a DVR. I guess C-Span might replay the debate fairly quickly? Or I'll have to tape over an old VHS...

Posted by: FIsch Fry | October 15, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev the Geography Nerd | October 15, 2008 11:15 AM

I thought the same thing after the match so I went and wiki-ed the country. Although its the major "central Asian" power, a part of the country to the west touches on what is deemed to be the Euro-Asian border.

More importantly, Australia without a couple of their first team choices throttled Qatar this morning!!

Posted by: menyagi | October 15, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

To play in Football Associations of Union of Europe make benefit glorious nation of Kazakhstan.

Posted by: Borat | October 15, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

That miss was HILARIOUS!
why did he look at his shoes and not the ball???

I think he wanted to add a little..

"UHHHHHHH!!!"

to his shot!

LOL

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 15, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Shut-up, RK.

Be Champions!

Posted by: Special Poster | October 15, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

what debate?

Posted by: dc fan | October 15, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I wonder who the commentator was rooting for in the Bolivia v. Uruguay match? I have finally met Max Bretos' mentor...this dude makes Homer Simpson look objective.

Posted by: Kosh | October 15, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

debate?? more like a series of canned statements that have been repeated over and over and over and.. it's about as dull as united's offense.

Posted by: mizage | October 15, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

SPOILER ALERTS:

- Luxembourg 0 - Moldova 0 (sorry if I ruined it for those of you TiVo-ing the match)

- A German player with a Polish name scored. No, he's not Podolski nor is he Klose. He's Piotr Trochowski.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 15, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

SPOILER ALERTS:

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 15, 2008 4:43 PM

Thanks a lot!! Now what will I watch??

Posted by: menyagi | October 15, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse