Rejuventated at RFK

D.C. United arrived for training this morning with a renewed outlook after watching Chicago smack New York last night to create an opening for the final wild-card berth.

"Some guys were coming in singing, 'Fire, Fire!" captain Jaime Moreno said.

Coach Tom Soehn said he wore his old #6 Chicago jersey while watching on TV at home, but when the game ended, he quickly put it away.

The club will practice here again tomorrow morning before flying to Columbus in the afternoon. For those in the Washington area, the decisive Sunday match will be shown on Comcast SportsNet starting at 5 p.m. Everyone else will have to watch via the Direct Kick package, available on cable systems and through your Internet machine.

Weather for Columbus: sixties, partly cloudy, windy.

Official Injury Report: Defender Greg Janicki (hamstring) is questionable. That's it, other than the long-term subjects: Olsen, Gallardo, Mediate, J. Carroll, Koroma.

However, Moreno (knee) considers himself at 70 percent health and that it would be "a mistake" to start.

"The situation will determine when we use him, if we use him, but him at what he calls 70 is still a lot better than most people have at 100," Soehn said.

Please return to the Insider later this afternoon for a chat with Santino Quaranta, who "celebrated" a poignant anniversary Thursday. But first.....

By Steve Goff  |  October 24, 2008; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup Futures
Next: Sol Women

Comments

The game's on COMCAST at 5:00? They're going to blow off the usual 3 hour post game Redskins coverage?

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 24, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Koroma? How exactly did he hurt himself? Did he trip on the step coming off the plane?

Posted by: LookingDangerous | October 24, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Chip day. Well done Mr. Quaranta.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 24, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Wait... so the only regular starters on the injury list are... nobody??

Posted by: carmines757 | October 24, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I have this sinking feeling that we'll give up a late goal and draw against the Crew.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | October 24, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Our road form has been horrific this year but I must say for Sunday's game the motivation should be high. Hopefully, we will see attacking football since a tie does us no good. This team has found numerous ways to let us fans down this season so I am keeping expectations in check.

Posted by: sbg1 | October 24, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't like this new system where you have to submit personal info to post comments. I get ads to "zap belly fat and boost libido fast" and I have to take it personally . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | October 24, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

For the love of all that's Holy, the Bulls can't make the playoffs at our expense!! It just can't happen!!

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | October 24, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

So Chicago buys us a ticket to the show, eh? I guess they figured it wouldn't be a Cup if they didn't get a chance to eliminate us themselves.

Alright, DCU, let's do this thing!

Time for a winning streak... And a landslide election... And a bull market...

Vamos!

Posted by: jealousmuse | October 24, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Another test. The Post's website can't remember the name ChestRockwell is linked with my email, so I had to re-register with Chest_Rockwell. Chest is gettin' upset!

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 24, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope the boys take advantage of the lifeline that the Fire have given us. Osorio's mid-season imports didn't do anything last night.

Playing the Dynamo in the first round of the playoffs would be tough, but if we get a win on Sunday, I'll be very happy.

Posted by: billindmd | October 24, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Any chance Gallardo comes back if we win Sunday?

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 24, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

No chance Gallardo comes back. He is out with a knee injury and has stated he will be back next season.

Posted by: kris77 | October 24, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Some of the better news you've fed the locals lately Steve!
Thank You!
Looking forward Sunday!
Come on United!
Come on Tino!!!
Destroy the Crew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | October 24, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Chip day. Well done Mr. Quaranta.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 24, 2008 1:02 PM
===============

I second that. I spoke to him briefly at Rhinos USOC match in Germantown. He came across in person the same way he did in the feature: sincere and humble. I'm really rooting for him and his family.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 24, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I hope MLS decides to ditch Direct Kick.
I've yet to find a sport's bar in North Carolina, and specifically in the Raleigh/Durham area that has it, and considering the vast majority of United's matches are usually available on either ESPN2, FSC, or Telefutura, it's not worth the money to pay for it for my house.

Most sport's bars that have a full DirecTV package, also have all the "local" networks like CSN Mid-Atlantic, MSN, YES, CSN NE, FSW, Altitude, etc. Most games that are on Direct Kick, are also available on one of those networks, but blacked out if you aren't in that region.

Posted by: alecw81 | October 24, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Talk about the twilight zone. Seems like we always play columbus at the end of the season when technically they have nothing to play for. But usually its because they are in the basement. What happened? Why are they so much better? Mr. Goff, a penetrating piece on the topic this weekend I pray?

Posted by: regularfan | October 24, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"vast majority of United's matches are usually available on either ESPN2, FSC, or Telefutura,"

Hardly! I don't think there was one in August. They will make all games available online for free, though, next year.

Posted by: Reignking | October 24, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Who else is The Jim??? Someones gonna pay!!!LOL

Posted by: TheJim1 | October 24, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

regularfan:

Here's a pretty quick set of things that have made Columbus so good this year:

- Chad Marshall was healthy for the whole season
- Danny O'Rourke was not nearly the disaster many (including me) predicted he would be at CB
- Brian Carroll, when paired with 2 other central midfielders, is one of the best in MLS at defensive midfield
- Last year, Schelotto had to do most of the attacking on his own. This year, he's had help from Rogers, Gaven, Evans, Ekpo, and Noonan.
- Set piece play (Moreno and Rogers draw a ton of fouls, and Schelotto's delivery is as good as anyone's in MLS).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 24, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Chico makes a great point.

I put the odds on Comcast not screwing us at a mere 25%. I don't trust that network at all.

Thx,