Sol Women

The Insider has learned that the Los Angeles franchise in Women's Professional Soccer will be called the Sol. Their colors are dark blue, light blue, yellow and black.

A formal announcement will be made this weekend. WPS launches next spring.

Other teams with nicknames in place are the Washington Freedom, Boston Breakers, New Jersey Sky Blue and Chicago Red Stars. Bay Area and St. Louis have yet to unveil their names.

By Steve Goff  |  October 24, 2008; 2:31 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rejuventated at RFK
Next: TV, Anyone?

Comments

I can't tell if I'm more offended by the mention of WPS or an Uhhmerikan team using a Spanish word for their name!:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | October 24, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Still holding out hope one of the teams gets named the Cougars.

Posted by: thamlin | October 24, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

An L.A. team with yellow, blue and black colors? That's original...

Posted by: Section117 | October 24, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

OK, I get the yellow and blue, but black? Sunspots?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 24, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Chicago Red Stars?? Cue GOP "Obama's a socialist" cries! ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | October 24, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I thought St. Louis was going by simply, St. Louis? I could definitely be wrong and crazy for thinking that, but I'm sure I read something somewhere about that.

Posted by: kris77 | October 24, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Better: Red Star Chicago.

Sol will be butchered a dozen ways: Saul, Sols, The Saul, The Sols, The Sauls . . . okay, that's only five ways. Still.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 24, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

_____ outa luck? Really? Auspicious.

Posted by: regularfan | October 24, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

An L.A. team with yellow, blue and black colors? That's original...

Posted by: Section117 | October 24, 2008 2:56 PM
If you're talking about the Lakers you know it's purple right?
Or are you talking about the Gals latest colors?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 24, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

St. Louis will not have a nickname. The team actually made a video unveiling the name - only to unveil the fact the team would only go by St. Louis.

Posted by: jwhiggins3 | October 24, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

The SOBs (Sons of Ben) had their colors stolen by the SOL.

Leave it to NY/NJ to have another awful name.

Posted by: Reignking | October 24, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the name Sky Blue, but in their defense the bad name has been around since about 2006. I guess they wanted to keep the tradition...

Posted by: sitruc | October 24, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"New Jersey Brown Haze" won't sell a lot of memorabilia.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 24, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Rampone, Kai, O'Reilly, Kacey White . . . .

No matter what they're called that's gonna be a good team.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 24, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Only 4 team colors?

Why set limits?

Posted by: spectre42 | October 25, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

What do yo want, rainbow and tie-dye?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 25, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Remember the last women's pro sports team with the name "Sol"?

I agree that the Chicago team needs to be called Red Star Chicago. St. Louis is probably going to be something like St. Louis FC (although Gateway FC would be a good name).

Posted by: bs2004 | October 27, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse