United-Chivas, the Aftermath

[updated]

Just when you thought things could not get any worse for DCU......

Wow, what a disaster. Worse than the Los Angeles debacle? More troubling than the loss at Dallas last weekend?

I will be back later with bonus quotes and player ratings, but for now, I can tell you that Marcelo Gallardo sprained an MCL (knee ligament) and will have an MRI exam Sunday. Chances are, he's done for the season.

Fred has a strained hamstring and, given the usual recovery time, he might not be back for a couple weeks.

"Today is the worst day in my football career as a professional," miskicking goalkeeper Louis Crayton said. "I let the team down. I am very disappointed with myself. I want to apologize to my team and the entire D.C. United family."

The video is available here.

My match report with quotes is here.

PLAYER RATINGS
Crayton 3; Namoff 5, Peralta 4, Martinez 4; Fred 5, Simms 4, Vide 4, Gallardo 4, Guerrero 5; Quaranta 5, Khumalo 5. Subs: McTavish 5, Doe 4, Burch 5.

SOEHN BONUS QUOTES
*In general: "Both team came out with a lot of urgency. You could tell the importance of the game, and we make a huge mistake, which cost us dearly. Nothing against them, they fought hard, but we had our opportunities and didn't finish. Even when they had a two-goal lead, we had a breakaway and still some more chances."
*On the first goal: "It was a tough ball from Peralta -- I thought he could've played it a little earlier - but when you see pressure come on, there is one way to play that: you put the ball up the field."
*On Gallardo: "We needed him tonight. He probably pushed himself further than he had to. He gave us what he could. ... It's tough to get back, not only him getting used to the guys but the guys getting used to him."
*On the season outlook: "It has been a tough year, but we just have to keep grinding it out and finding a way now to get a win. We need the first win to turn into two wins. We just have to keep fighting and keep our heads high."

By Steve Goff  |  October 4, 2008; 10:09 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: United-Goats
Next: United, By the Numbers

Comments

that was horrible.

Posted by: chuckles | October 4, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

not to mention that we sucked.

Posted by: chuckles | October 4, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Here is where I have a problem with Soehn.

He went against DC United Tradition.

You see that thing on the back of our shirts. It says TRADITION for a reason.

Instead what we got was "Soehn's Law of Diminishing Returns"

"We're suffering from getting knocked out of the CONCACF Champions Cup" - April

"We're doing well just not finishing our chances" - May

"We have to prioritize these things, manage minutes down the stretch." - June

So basically it was

"Well the SuperLiga doesn't matter we're looking at the regular season standings and CONCACAF Champions League."

"Well the regular season isn't that big a deal we need to show well in CONCACAF."

"Well it would have been nice to do well in the Champions League but we have to focus on the playoffs."

Now we're going to miss the playoffs. What will be the excuse then?

DC United should have said, "We will win the SuperLiga or CONCACAF Champions League and devote all our resources there." like they did with the last couple games of the Open Cup.

This league does not allow managing multiple competitions through use of good players in all of them.

Instead what we have is a constantly shifting focus arather than a manifesto to win just one thing and that is Soehn's fault, not the owners, not Kasper, not Garber. Soehn.

Posted by: The problem Is Soehn | October 4, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

The amazing thing is, with the other results tonight, United remains only a point out of the final playoff spot. We still have a shot.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

Posted by: J | October 4, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

now that i got that out of my system, dcu needs to find a way to field a team consistently over the course of next season, and the league absolutely has to find a way to provide better support for teams that play in 3-4 tournaments besides the league.

potential for a great crowd and atmosphere tonight totally wasted by a weak, uninspired performance. time to start looking at 2009.

Posted by: chuckles | October 4, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I have a serious question. When the Super Draft for Seattle comes up, what are the parameters for who is put up in the draft? Are any groups exempt? Say like Senior Internationals, Designated players, etc? Are we ever going to fire Soehn?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 4, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I thought for the most part the guys worked hard tonight and made some chances. But once again we missed our leaders.

Gallardo spent a lot of time yelling at his teammates. Are we stuck with him next season? He's proven to be way too fragile.

Between Crayton and Peralta tonight the game was lost. What happened to Crayton? All those shutouts at the beginning, and now the goals are leaking as bad as Wells.

At least I won't have to buy any more tickets this season.

Posted by: Glenn | October 4, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

VirginiaFan,

I remember Kasper and/or Payne stating years ago that part of their philosophy involves not firing staff members until the end of the season.

Louis Crayton,

It's OK. Do your best in the remaining three matches.

Posted by: B.A. | October 4, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Depressing!! They blow up last years roster for this! What do they do now? Another roster overhaul? I remember going to games when the league first started and DCU was a model franchise. Now they are simply painful to watch. Disorganized on the back line, unable to hold the ball in the midfield, and off target on the front line. And it has been this way for most of the season. Keep Emilo, Fred and Moreno. I can do without the rest. Bring in new scouts.

Posted by: Jeremy | October 4, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

DC United wouldn't deserve to be in the playoffs if they won the next three games.
That's it.
Hopefully we'll all have lot's of fun with Paper Bags on our heads on the 16th! It's been a fun season folks, looking forward to the:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbI5K0AzNHI

Posted by: dadryan | October 4, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I like Crayton. He's a stand-up guy who plays with heart and love for the shirt. It was a bad mistake sure, but I'm glad he's our keeper. So there.

I like Fred and Emilio. I want them back next year. They are a joy to watch.

Moreno is a legend. Yes the red card was not smart. But his stats this year speak for themselves. You bet I want him back.

Quaranta has shown amazing character and strong play this season. Gotta have him back in 2009.

Simms has been the iron man of the team, logging what has to be the most minutes. Hope he gets some well-deserved rest and returns next year.

Khumalo, Guerrero, and Vide have been solid additions. Sign them for '09 now.

As a season ticket holder, these are the guys I pay to see (Gallardo I am reserving judgment until healthy).

Oh yeah, and bring that Goff guy back. Where would we be without our regular team coverage? We are very fortunate to have this quality of reporting on our team.

Posted by: FC | October 4, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't like pointing fingers at players but damn Crayton. What the hell was that?

I feel for the guy cuz he knows he screwed up majorly but that is how the season has gone it seems.

Feel the team is strecthed (did i spell that right? been drinkin for a while :) out real thin right now. Dont see how we can make the playoffs and be successful. Good luck to them anyways.

Posted by: Krista | October 4, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

OMG!!! That was a disaster display in front of many people. I guess it should have been playing with the reserves. At least they play hard. Chivas USA didn't even play very good; in fact we set up very easy goals for them to just slot in. There is no word to explain how this team played. So, in conclusion, Soehn must be SACKED NOW. I don't care what it is going to come at next game but HE MUST GO NOW. I have to show up at least two games that I already have tickets.

Posted by: td | October 4, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Apology accepted. You've had too many excellent saves to lose confidence over this.

Posted by: Glaucon | October 4, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

This was the first DC game I've left early - I didn't want the kids see a grown man cry.

That said, I was impressed with the energy of Khumalo. We had a few moments where we actually had some crossing going on; not that it resulted in anything, but the I still liked the effort.

Lastly, what happened to our possession game?

Posted by: Moteus | October 4, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

This could potentially be one of the most disappointing seasons ever

Posted by: Taylor | October 4, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo is hurt again? Good lord. Did DCU's FO not know about Gallardo's fragility before they dropped $1.9 mil on him, or did they just choose to ignore it?

Posted by: MN Kicker | October 4, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

i wanna see some goals atleast.

Posted by: the jim | October 4, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Can we just cut Gallardo? Why did we waste a DP on Emilio? That was really stupid. We should have spent it on a great center back or a Goal keeper.

A player should never get paid almost 500% more than the second highest paid player. It just should never happen. In any sport.

Maybe it is time for significant change in the front office.

Posted by: Garret | October 4, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

whacha know about Kimbo Slice?
this is better than soccer, or at least it will make me feel better.

Posted by: dadryan | October 4, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

wow, dude just got his butt kicked in 7 seconds... wow!

Posted by: dadryan | October 4, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Don't think for a minute that somehow Kasper escapes culpability for this debacle. He is their main scout and he signs off on all signings and acquisitions. He brought in Neill, Gallardo, Fred, Emilio, Dyachenko (twice!)and Wells and signed off on Soehn's demand to offload Carroll, Perkins and Boswell. A mess this comprehensive cannot fit on the shoulders of one person. Kasper must assume his share of the blame as must Payne since he has the ultimate power to veto anything. Kasper will escape termination because he has his head so far up Payne's butt that it will fall to him to drop the ax on Soehn. In doing the dirty work for Payne he'll keep his job.

Posted by: lgm6986 | October 4, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

The only good thing I wanted to point out for tonight's game was there was no tense feeling like Cruz Azul game. That was such a tense game that we were out numbered by AZ fans and felt really uncomfortable. Tonight's game was depressing and shock.
Crayton takes responsibility for his mistakes and I appreciate that. Even though it lead to more disaster.

Posted by: td | October 4, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

So Goff, do you start asking about ramifications for coaches and team management?

That was an embarrasing performance...and the team looked to have given up, or at least given up playing as a team.

Posted by: Matt | October 4, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Would someone please put me out my misery and fire me. I am a horrible coach, with a next to nothing type of asst coach Chad Ashton. Wow that performance, was horrible.

Soehn has turned out to be like Rongens first-2nd years......pretty much living off of the teams built by Bruce and Nowak respectively.

Posted by: Tommy Soehn | October 4, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

You need to make the PLAYOFFS!
That's what this whole season was for!

Posted by: Mickey Mouse | October 4, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I just don't know what to do! I just don't.

Posted by: Tommy Soehn again | October 4, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

just got back from the game. i hate garber. i hate soehn. i hate gallardo. i hate louis "one gaffe a game" crayton. i hate all those MSI kids with their stupid noise makers. i hate the RFK concessions. ok, that's it. i feel better.

Posted by: birdy | October 4, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

HEY GOFF!
Thanks for everything that you do on this beat man! We all owe you big time.
Thank You!

Posted by: dadryan | October 4, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Crayton's gaffe on the first goal was a howler, no doubt, but the second and third weren't his fault. I lay both those goals squarely at Peralta's feet. He lost his mark on the second goal after Crayton made the initial save, and was wandering around aimlessly, again not marking the goal scorer, on the third. Then it seemed like he was determined to make up for his crappy defensive play by jumping up on every play late in the game and reinvent himself as a target. Pathetic.

Posted by: JB | October 4, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

We have 3 games, if we continue to play like this and lose - changes are forthcoming.

It's very possible (mathematically) for DCU to make the playoffs. Then, we'll need to re-assess in the off-season.

Posted by: Will Chang (not really) | October 4, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

28,145 zero goals from dcu and lost really really bad. What a shame. If the OF doesn't do something with the coach or GM, something is clearly wrong in that office.

Posted by: td | October 4, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but Crayton shares some blame for the second goal. Since he thought peralta was going to get it, he was out of position when he missed it. Frankly, though, since the ball was deep enough in HIS box that he could have taken it, he should have been more assertive, taken control of HIS box and taken the ball from both of them.

Posted by: Jeremy | October 5, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

I thought the pain had suffereing were coming to a close once the odds started to become crystal clear.

I was wrong.

This one really hurt.

Posted by: Kosh | October 5, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Glad I went Wednesday and not tonight. At least the future looks bright, I think...

Posted by: It Hurts | October 5, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

I still have hope.

Posted by: GoUnited | October 5, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Great game for Chivas....

ohh wait they beat the worst team in MLS.

Not one player on United deserves a rating of more than 1. Everyone sucked. Any USL side could have beat the team we put on the field tonight.

The heart of DC is Olsen and Moreno and without both why bother playing?

Soehn and Gallardo have to go! Replace them with Vidovich and Dempsey.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 5, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Well -- since you asked, Senor Goff, I will say that was the worst performance I've ever seen from DC United -- at least, in person. Arguably, though, it was the poorest effort the team has turned in in a regular season MLS game....ever.

A handful of decent efforts, long after the game was out of reach, but neither Doe nor Quaranta could finish the chances...so, I won't get carried away in praising those moments, either.

As for the posts I read here -- I have to say that I find them rather amusing. From the first game this year, I have been posting my critiques...and I have zeroed in on Peralta as Suspect Number One. He has been an absolute clod --- an oaf. BEfore his injury, he did start to show some improvement -- played one or two genuinely strong games -- but he was no savior. I've been struck by all the comments lately about how much he was missed. I think tonight laid to rest any rumors about Peralta's value on the back line. In fact, the funniest part of the game was the fact that Peralta seemed to have shifted to forward for the final 10 minutes. He didn't do much up there, but at least he was off of the back line.

Crayton -- well, his anguish was obvious -- but so were his misplays. I'm not ready to say that the team is set at goalie for next season.

In fact, I'm not sure the team is set at any position. I think I'd like to see Fred up top. He scored a lot of goals in AUstralia, but he seems totally ineffective on the flank. Either bring him in the middle, or move him up top.

Other than that change, I think that United can improve only by a wholesale overhaul. It can't be done in a year. However, by the start of the 2011 season, I would not be surprised to see a complete overhaul of the roster. 100%. McTavish, Simms, Quaranta, even Burch are young enough, and they can fill roles, but they won't be the anchors of a top team. The FO is going to have to make a lot of changes....

They have 4 high draft choices in the coming SuperDraft, and I'm betting they'll draft high the following year, as well. That's the chance to build a decent nucleus. They'll also have the chance to bring in a new DP after next season -- perhaps sooner, as I really would be surprised if Gallardo wants to come back. There's rebuilding to do, but the opportunities will be there to get it done. Please, no more castoffs from other MLS teams, or foreigners rotting on foreign benches.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Senor Goff, I think you were a bit generous with the 4s and 5s.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Just tore up my 4 season ticket renewal form. Until Soehn is gone don't count on my support.

Posted by: Enough of Soehn | October 5, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Just watched the replays from the third goal, it was offsides.

Posted by: GoUnited | October 5, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Kasper I realize Soehn probably has some nasty pictures of you doing something inappropriate but whatever it is you did society will forgive you. We just gave $700 billion to people who robbed us and put our entire economy on the brink of failure so believe me we will forgive you for whatever it is you did wrong.

Just please for the love of god get rid of Soehn!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

I will say that I do like Khumalo, though I wish he'd cool it with the long range bombs that have no chance. I'd like to see him in the lineup next year. I'm not sure I would say that about anybody else. Gallardo has some skill, but never healthy and -- as I wrote above -- I think he might think twice about coming back.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

I think it might be possible for us to sneak in if we win 2 out of the last 3 games. I think we can win at home against the revs and away to columbus

Posted by: GoUnited | October 5, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

I, for one, feel sorry for Soehn.

He's going to have a tough time selling his house in this market.

asitis

Posted by: asitis | October 5, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo, pack your bags and get the hell out...

Posted by: kris | October 5, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

@Go United -- no it wasn't. I saw it live. DeJair (sp?) came from behind Peralta, who was switched into gear far too late -- but the pass was already on its way when he passed Peralta. I won't call it a good goal -- since United should have snuffed it -- but it was a legit goal.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Win at Columbus are you batpoop insane? What are you on? Because I could use some...

Right now, I doubt United could best the Crew's reserve squad...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Right now, I doubt United could best the Crew's reserve squad...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 1:03 AM

Crew reserves?

Woah there cowboy. I know some coed rec league teams in DC that could kick their butts. The team I saw on the field tonight was nothing short of awful.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 5, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Well -- I'll say this about DeJair's position -- when the pass was struck, he actually had one foot beyond Peralta's line. I've seen that called offsides before. But, he was pulling up at that moment -- so, a fraction of a second later, he was in an onsides position. No way that the linesman could have picked that up. And, under the recent FIFA directives, it probably shouldn't have been called offsides...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Right now, I doubt United could best the Crew's reserve squad...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 1:03 AM

A) It's the last game of the season and columbus will likely be resting many of their starters.

B) I'm trying to be optimistic :)

Posted by: GoUnited | October 5, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Cubs and United.

Lots of hype, lots of talent = no wins when it counts

You both lost to LA teams

haha

Posted by: Cali time | October 5, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Dudes -- you want to see a talented footy player? Check out the goal by (in my estimation the most overlooked striker in the world) Ibrahimovic that put Inter up 1-0 against Bologna. Wow. That's the kind of talent you want in a DP...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Bradley has named US National team roster.None of DCU players is in it.Isn't it an indication of today's level of performance of the team? Consider that two years ago 6 DCU players were chosen from time to time to play for the National team.Olsen,Gross,Carrol,Boswell,Namoff,Perkings.The team lost its face.Soehn destroyed what had been built by Nowak and and didn't create the team being worth of winning the shield and the cup.

Posted by: speaker | October 5, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

You are some vicious, vicious people!

Posted by: andrew | October 5, 2008 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Not to rub salt in a wound, but imagine how many people would have come out if United were playing at the top of the table. I know the weather extremes make it hard to find an ideal schedule, but this does make one wonder why there are so many games in mid-summer. On the other hand, why did they have such small crowds in September, but such a big crowd tonight? Hard to figure...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2008 2:45 AM | Report abuse

How do you DC United fans feel about the Gomez/Gallardo situation? Do you think you would have been better off keeping Christian Gomez, a proven MLS player, instead of going the DP route?

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | October 5, 2008 4:16 AM | Report abuse

_____

REALLY TOMMY SOEHN!!!! I am reminded of a term i learned in elementary school....NO S&#! SHERLOCK!!

What an idiot. FIRE SOEHN!!!!

Posted by: Horrible | October 5, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

I left early to beat traffic. That will not worry the front office.

I spent the time walking to the car counting the dollars I had spent. That should.

Don't blame Crayton unduly. He cost us one goal. Even if it was as ugly as I've ever seen, that did not cost the game.

Dump Gallardo. It would be far, far better to spend some of that money on a decent team instead of on a single guy (who then draws too much focus). Yes, I know most DP money can't go towards the salary cap -- but some can.

A good team beats a big name everyday. Notice that Columbus still wins without Schelotto?

Posted by: blutgraetsche | October 5, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

These comments come after a troubled sleep after watching perhaps the biggest debacle of the season. No longer is LA the laughing stock, doormat of the league.

Here is my simple recipe to save DC United:

* Fire Tom Soehn
* Fire Dave Kasper (or demote him to our youth academy)

I don't want to hear excuses about injuries or bad luck or poor player performance as the reasons (i.e. excuses) for losing so spectacularly. Every team has to overcome adversity with injuries and series of poor performances. However the way DC United has crashed this season is almost comical.

Reasons for firing Soehn:

* he is not a motivator - if you can't bring out your team's best during a playoff run, you need to question your skills

* his tactical decisions are highly questionable - there are so many that I can't keep up with them

* the players are not responding to him - see the last three matches

* he contributed to the revamp of this atrocious squad - see below

REASONS FOR FIRING(demoting) KASPER

* As General Manager, his biggest contribution to this team is the scouting and acquisition of player personnel. I think it's safe to agree that this was the most poorly assembled team since the inaugural season when Bruce Arena brought in a group of college players (mostly from UVa) that were woefully inept. Remember Said Fazlagic, Jeff Causey, Mike Huwiler, and Clint Peay? The current crop are an overpaid and unspectacular bunch. We tore up our team roster to make way for these players?

--(Gallardo) An Argentina star from yesteryear who can't shake the injury bug
--(Peralta) a rubbish defender with Fabio-esque good looks distracting people from the fact that he makes Facundo Erpen look like Fabio Cannavaro.
--(Martinez) A decent left back who's tenacity is only matched by his boneheaded fouls and woeful mistakes during critical times of the season.
--(Wells) Easily the worst goalkeeper in the DC United history. This is a testament to how bad our management is. He labored in the penalty box for three months in the season before the club finally found a halway decent replacement.
--(Carvallo) We only got to see him once (a 4-0 rout by RSL) and we had no reason to believe he was any good but yet the team brought him in to ride the pine and to stink up our reserve team. Another poor personnel choice.

One final thing __

THE DYACHENKO EXPERIMENT MUST CEASE!

I know that some national team coaches have trouble letting go of players who underperform (Bob Bradley and Eddie Johnson) but for once, DC United should do the right thing. Cut Dyachenko. He offers no ball control, no vision, no awarenes, no creativity, no finishing or passing skills. I can't see why he makes the roster.

Posted by: bristol | October 5, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

fair weather fans come-and-go.

Posted by: JSF | October 5, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Done and Out!

2009 here we come!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 5, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

When you're at the end of the line in an absolute MUST-WIN game, Tom Soehn needs to put his best most proven lineup on the field. This was the WRONG time to experiment again with the 3-5-2. We finally had all 5 of our top defenders healthy, and he chooses to only start 3 of them? Gonzalo Peralta hasn't played a meaningful game SINCE JUNE and Soehn chooses to start him as our ONLY central defender? Yes, I'm bitter. And with the decisions he's made the past few weeks, Soehn is receiving a vote of no confidence from me.

Posted by: DCUMD | October 5, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

However people what to frame the difficult circumstances Soehn has faced this year, he has shown that, tactically and motivationally, he is not up to the job.

MLS recycles coaches far too much, We need new blood.

Posted by: Nogra Rover | October 5, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

and signed off on Soehn's demand to offload Carroll, Perkins and Boswell.

Posted by: lgm6986 | October 4, 2008 11:12 PM

OK, some of you are just making up stuff now. We lost Carroll involuntarily in the expansion draft, and we lost Perkins because we are not slave masters like the Revolution.

Posted by: Rich C | October 5, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo isnt going to be dumped this next year. He has a guaranteed contract. Same for Jaime and same for Ben.

Emilio could be dumped or sold -- I believe it was one of the provisions of the new contract he signed.

It's clear to me that Soehn needs to go. Paul Mariner, please pick up the phone.

Posted by: strago | October 5, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

At least UVa football rose from the dead, and men's soccer beat UNC, too...

Posted by: RK | October 5, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Athough the reserves will again play Thursday in Costa Rica - I wish them luck playing in that hell hole and on crap turf at Saprissa stadum. These guys should be playing the final games. As I have said before, the team is broken down not just physically now, but mentally too. Its been a long summer campaign with too many games and makeshift rosters all season long. There has been no continuity what so ever. Last night after a bright start it deteriored into a chippy ugly game. Credit Chivas, they were opportunistic but didn't show that much. At this point our opposition doesn't have to. The ownership group can't be happy about how this season has played out. I am sure we will see alot of changes coming in the off season.

Posted by: sbg | October 5, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"I would like to see McFarlane rach into his pocket for a coach from Argentina or some other very good league. Hire Olsen as his assistant, with a possibility to still play. You need tactical expect, one with a track record. Olsen knows the league, the cities, the players."

I like this - an outside perspective supported by someone who knows his way around MLS & DCU.

Posted by: FC | October 5, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Bristol -- now that is funny!!

Posted by: steve-o | October 5, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

How about we settle the stadium issues first - if the team moves to MD they can forget about my support...just like the skins. Could DC managment build some luxury boxes at RFK and then have the city give them the right to develop something in the parking lots? I'm pretty sure that McFarlane did not buy the team for love of soccer.

Posted by: yuppie | October 5, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo hurt again? Oh well, he has contributed almost nothing when he was healthy!! He gives the ball away more than ANYONE on the team!! All season long, we have been critical of the defense, but I think we have learned that you cannot play defense 80% of the game, regardless of WHO is on the field. Peralta is almost as much of a bust as Gallardo. A complete team overhaul is definitely in store for us. Hope the next overhaul works out better than the last one.

Posted by: Mike | October 5, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Bring back the three stripes across the chest.

Posted by: Tommie | October 5, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

To BRISTOL: You are so unhappy with "the DYACHENKO experiment",right? But you totally forgot that the last win, US CUP ,and some others, were made with his help. According to you and other haters ROD should understand that born in Russia(BUT GROWN AND EDUCATED IN THE US),he has NO RIGHT TO PLAY IN MLS..."Hey,Rod! Nothing personal!LEAVE DCU! Then our troublesome and FRUSTRATED souls will get peace and comfort!"

Posted by: person | October 5, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

This entire season has been pathetic. Make some moves with the squad and management Chang or you will be needing to make some big ones in the marketing department to get all of your season-ticket holders back.

Posted by: Dave | October 5, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | October 5, 2008 4:16 AM

Talk about wading into a hornet's nest! If you want to know how we feel about that, I'd have to say that you need to read through the last 10 months of posts here. There have been a number of people with a lot to say, but no one opinion.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@ Person: Who cares where Dyachenko was born? Where is that argument coming from? Other than how it affects the DCU roster, I'd be seriously surprised if anyone criticizing Dyachenko (or anyone else on the roster) really cares about his background. He's being evaluated based upon his play. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but Dyachenko is not taking an international roster spot, is he? So let's forget that nonsense, and focus on how we can get someone to replace him -- someone who has better touch and doesn't foul so much.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I would still be interested in how people are chosen to go on the list turned over for Seattle to chose from. Is anyone exempt or not? How about bringing back Jeff Agoos and John Harkes to run the team? That would take care of both offense and defense. I agree with new blood for a coach.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 5, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@ bristol -- interesting comments. I have to say that he people signed by DC United over the last year do raise serious questions about whether there is any serious scouting being done. We get Carvallo because his mother is sending tapes to the FO. Peralta was another mediocre player who wanted to play in the US. I'd be really curious to know how Niell came to light. There was that young keeper at Monaco who came for a tryout -- how'd we hear about him? Crayton came to us because of Doe, who knew Crayton was anxious to play MLS. Last month, the FO brought in two players from the Pittsburgh USL side. Sounds like someone made a trip and saw two decent players. I realize that there's no way DCU can afford a worldwide scouting system like Arsenal, but there has to be a more systematic way to do this. The team should be reaching out to the players it wants. Right now it seems that a handful of players have decided they wanted to come here and successfully lobbied a desperate FO. This just doesn't seem like a way to get the best possible players.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Bring back the three stripes across the chest.

Posted by: Tommie | October 5, 2008 11:06 AM

Tommie, you are wiser than you know. I think that DCU is suffering under the Curse of the Beetle. They're not going to start winning until they find a sponsor with a less odious past.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 5, 2008 1:18 AM
===========================

I don't think that even he believed it. He must watch a lot of kung fu movies. Where else would he learn that backheel hook around the defender?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 5, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

If we could somehow make Gallardo buy back his contract next year that would be great. Emillo has not been great either and get injured at most critical time two years in a row. With one DP slot taken by him, I would like him to be sold if that's what in his new contract allows. I would like Khumalo, Guerreo, Crayton (as a back up to compete) to come back next year. Everyone else I can leave without praying the OF would do careful recruit to overhaul the roster. They should at least find someone from Elsavador and Bolivia to attract more followers to DC United games.

Posted by: td | October 5, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I would actually like to come back Fred with the coach who knows how to utilize his effective position.

Posted by: td | October 5, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

con marcelo gallardo el dc. se potencia es un jugador q maneja los tiempos tiene vision de juego maneja la pelota parada
ordena a sus compaƱeros, lo que pasa es que estos no sienten el futbol como el,
es un placer ver jugar a marcelo.
a medida que sume minutos de juego aparecera en su mejor nivel, saludos.
mariano.

Posted by: mariano | October 5, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Don't let Dychenko fool you. He is no more than an average MLS player in the middle third. He doesn't track back with midfield runners in the defensive third. And when he gets into the attacking third he passing completion rate can't be better that 20%. More often than no he passes it right to a defender. He's slow. And one more thing, for a part-time player, he's had more than his share of red cards.

Posted by: Erik Mondero | October 5, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should talk to the Crapids about trading Galardo for Gomez?

@mariano: Me senteria mejor si Gallardo no estuviera lesionado todo el tiempo...

Posted by: Juan-John | October 5, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow--a lot of fair-weather fans and revisionist history going on.

1. The team WANTED to keep Gomez. It wasn't choosing Gallardo over Gomez. The team pursued Gallardo when it was absolutely clear that Gomez just wasn't interested in coming back. I posted repeatedly last year that after all Gomez had given the team, I harbored no ill-will if he wanted to go someplace for one last great pay-date. Gomez had unrealistic demands. The team kept extending the deadline in hopes of reaching a deal. Gomez was angry that he was picked as the team MVP. Like it or not, Gomez was gone whether we signed Gallardo or played Dyachenko as our starting A-mid.

2. Kasper had almost nothing to do with Boswell, Perkins, Arguez, Carroll going. We had to expose people in the expansion draft. Arguez wanted to take the transfer (people forget that players get a percentage of transfer fees--it's like a bonus to them). Perkins--ditto, he'd been looking at Europe for some time now. Boswell asked to leave.

3. Player acquisitions. I'm actually pretty impressed at our talent acquisitions. Gallardo is clearly an outstanding player. The injuries were the big problem there. It remains to be seen if that's the case of him paying soccer year-round or if he's fragile now. As for Wells, I thought that was a great pickup. And even then, he was plan-B: we almost had a deal for Joe Cannon until Yallop and SJ got involved. Niell was worth a gamble--a topline reserve for a quality Argentine side. I think we did had more talent acquisitions pay off than not this year. Seriously--our outside mids have been dreck since Earnie Stewart retired. Now we throw Fred, Guerrero and Quaranta at people.

I think our season comes down to this:
--a lot of games and a lot of injuries hurt consistency (that's a reason we weren't a SS team this year, not a justification for not making the playoffs and getting killed in all but 1 cup competition).
--defensively we sucked. That had very little to do with injuries or a lot of games.
--once you can't consistently stop people and consistently do give up soft goals, the entire team starts to press. Everyone is trying to win the game. Everyone is trying to score the goal. You give up a goal and everyone goes "crap, not again?" and you become soft as a team b/c everyone fights at first but then you give up a score and the house of cards collapses. That's the team that we are right now.

4. The argument that we spend the next two years rebuilding, lots of draft picks and such is just plain silly. We have an expansion draft this year. If the rules are the same, we can protect 11 players and can't expose our DP(s). So if you figure we protect: Moreno, Emilio, Gallardo, Quaranta, Fred, Guerrero, Simms, Crayton, Martinez, Namoff and Khumalo that means you expose: Doe, Burch, McTavish, Vide, Olsen, Carroll plus everyone else. And then there's another expansion draft the year after that and another the year after that. The idea that a team is going to be drafting a couple of first rounders and storing them for 2 years only works if you're exposing your starters in the expansion draft. Besides, in MLS these days with the number of allocations, you can go from worst to a playoff team relatively easily.

Look at it this way...if DC United had posted just 3 more shutouts (ie: had a better defense) we'd clearly be in the playoffs, we'd have done better in Cup competitions. Even with all of the injuries and other issues. That defensive play would come from better organization, maybe better talent (all of our defenders had big letdowns at times this season), a better initial GK (Wells was an anchor that dragged us down defensively), better coaching and tactical decisions.

Posted by: JoeW | October 5, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, what JoeW said -- if DCU had been a better team, with better goaltending and better defense, had played much better, given up fewer goals, scored more goals, they'd be a playoff side. So, what's with all the complaining.?

Posted by: FIsch Fry | October 5, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FIsch Fry | October 5, 2008 1:50 PM

Not quite what I said. My position is that better defensive play (which I'd argue was mostly a component of organization and coaching) would have made a huge difference with this team. I think offensively we're strong enough. I think better defense, not so many soft goals and the team would have naturally played better.

Your position is we rebuild completely (we may do that just because a new coach will want their own players) and I don't see that need. Your position is that with first round picks we can build a nucleus. I'm all for getting good players with high picks. But which first round picks have made a difference this season? Just go luck at the rookie of the year race--Sean Franklin with the LAG? Pat Phelan with TFC? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having rookies like that but that's not a nucleus. And it's even harder to pull off given the expansion drafts of the past 2 years and the next 3. That's going to be 5 consecutive years of being unable to protect your 12th best player and beyond.

Posted by: JoeW | October 5, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, speaking of revisionist history:"The team pursued Gallardo when it was absolutely clear that Gomez just wasn't interested in coming back."
I think they were after Veron all along, and when that unprofessional player left DC at the altar, they scrounged up Gallardo.
"Crayton came to us because of Doe, who knew Crayton was anxious to play MLS." When was that little tidbit confirmed? No offense FF but I don't think I've ever heard that. That makes for a romantic story and all, but is that a fact, or a figment of someone's imagination.
Honestly, the making up of crap is more irritating than the simple fact that the Coaching and management of DCU's player is weak.

Posted by: dadryan | October 5, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think that everyone associated with the conditioning program or treating injured players should be fired immediately? Way too many injuries for two years, everyone has a hamstring or groin issue all the time its ridiculous. Including Soehn of course.

Posted by: fire the trainers | October 5, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"GALLARDO IS AN EXCEPTIONAL PLAYER" you lost all credibility with that comment, now if you would have said that he WAS an exceptional player that i would ok maybe.

You just wasted lots of writing space on this blog

Posted by: dc fan | October 5, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadryan | October 5, 2008 2:24 PM
..........................................

It appears to be a figment of Paul Tenorio's imagination:

Posted by: The Jeff | October 5, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Goff himself report the Doe-Crayton link early on, right here?

It's probably back in the blog archives.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 5, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I should refresh my browser before posting...

It was Tenorio, not El Goff...nice. Knew I'd seen it before though.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 5, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

To FISCH FRY:"Dyachenko is not taking an International roster spot,is he?"No, he is not.And WHO is except Moreno?What about a designated player with his 1.9 million dollars???Is he on the roster? To your knowledge: ROD DOES NOT HAVE A FOREIGN CITIZENSHIP. By the way, have you seen any of DCU PLAYERS on today's US NATIONAL TEAM roster?

Posted by: person | October 5, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: person | October 5, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

..........................................

It appears to be a figment of Paul Tenorio's imagination:

Posted by: The Jeff

Wow that is a romantic story.....nail on the head ol' dadryan.

Posted by: d | October 5, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey fellas, just looking for some facts. I admit that Paul's done some decent work in Goff's absence, but honestly I don't find my self hanging on every word of a Tenorio human interest story...
I know it's hard to believe but I can't read this blog everyday... I actually had a couple nice vacations this summer:-)
Actual stories in the paper bore me... You guys read em'?

Posted by: dadryan | October 5, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I read the story... Does anyone have an extra hanky?
I'm actually a little surprised that everyone's questioning my questioning the Louis Crayton/Franny Doe Experience and not me questioning Veron's professionalism with contract negotiations.

Posted by: dadryan | October 5, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse