United-Cruz Azul, the Aftermath

Ah, CONCACAF. Where to begin?

*If someone had told you before the match that DCU would start mostly reserves against a strong Mexican side, lose two goalkeepers to red cards, play one man down for 57 minutes and three down after another sending off and injury ... and only lose by two goals, would you have believed it? DCU was not going to win the game with so little influence in midfield (and later with only one forward), but the club worked hard, was well organized and displayed a lot of character.

*In his first real game, rookie James Thorpe rose to the occasion in the early going when Cruz Azul was applying relentless pressure. The first yellow was deserved, but the second? Credit to Fox Soccer Channel's Brian Dunseth for calling out referee Roberto Moreno: "A horrible decision," and "completely unnecessary" and "you've just changed the scope of the game." Dunseth was rightfully opinionated about what led up to the Louis Crayton ejection, as well.

*His partner, FSC's Christian Miles, was tolerable, but why does he sometimes refer to Crayton as "Luis"? He's not from Argentina! He also said Thorpe hailed from "Franklin University." It's Franklin Pierce College University. Also, an FSC graphic identified Thorpe as "Zachary Wells" ... even though Wells didn't make the trip.

*Those stadium train horns are going to give me nightmares for weeks.

*Midfielder Quavas Kirk earned a two-minute shutout as DCU's third keeper.

*Oft-injured Ben Olsen looked good on the sideline as an assistant coach. Hmmm.....

By Steve Goff  |  October 21, 2008; 11:59 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: United-Cruz Azul
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Well, not only that but, you know, their complexions are entirely different . .

""Also, an FSC graphic identified Thorpe as "Zachary Wells" ... even though Wells didn't even make the trip.""

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

To my count, this is the 2nd unwarranted/undeserved red card to DC in the Concacaf tournament.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

We should get a diesel horn like that at RFK. I'm sure everyone in MLS would love it!

Posted by: towson | October 22, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

FSC has continously screwed up the graphics and announing players names. I expect it now!

I'm still speechless on the game. Wow!

Posted by: kris | October 22, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

oh jeez... are there highlights!? plz o plz.

Posted by: longfellow | October 22, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I'm biased, but that had to be the most horrendous performance by a referee I've ever witnessed in my 35 years on this planet. That guy should never work again.

Posted by: Kenobi | October 22, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Crayton makes the game far more entertaining. He was cracking me up, and really pissing off their fans. Easily my favorite United keeper ever.

Posted by: David | October 22, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Burchie will be able to make it back here in one piece, and without reaching his intended target after that game.

Posted by: Section 130 | October 22, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you David, he was cracking me up too. I'm glad those fans got pissed, they're stupid enough to chant "ole ole" when Classless Cruz Azul were passing it around the back when we had 9 men. I mean, really?

You took the words out of my mouth, Goff. Those train horns were more annoying than the awful commentating. I'd like to add some more quotes for the Christian Miles drinking game:
"they're in a precarious position here" 2 drinks
"this could be advantageous here" 1 drink

Posted by: andrew | October 22, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

DC should have pulled the team off the field after that 2nd goal and having your 2nd goalie tossed out the game, you're in stoppage time and down to now 8 guys. Oh I guess for the ref Martinez was keeping the guy onside with him just laying down on the field...terrible ref, he's been terrible in National Team games and just awful in these games....

Posted by: Ben Canada | October 22, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

FSC?

Try watching it on the BIASED Telefutura

They have horrible commentators who just fan the fire off Mexican sides being better.

I dont blame them for being owned by a Mexican Corp. They have to be biased in a way or maybe cause the commentators are mexicans themselves
dont know
Telefutura blows, terribly!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 22, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts?

Posted by: hoyanick | October 22, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

"Christian Miles drinking game:"

or "smoking" game. lol

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

"So, in next week's match at RFK vs. Marathon, Zach Wells will be the starting keeper, but who will be his back-up? Both Crayton and Thorpe have been red-carded.

Thoughts?"

My thoughts are:

D.C. United's coaches and FO (and me) are the least bit concerned about Zach Wells having a backup for next weeks Concacaf game.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I lovedthe effortfrom theDCU guys out there.

Other than that, all I can say is "Wow. Just Wow.."

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | October 22, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I have no doubt that Benny will have a long future with United. I expect, when he's done playing that he will find his way into the announcing booth for a spin. He'll probably also have an instructional position with the team during the week. Sooner or later, he will wind up coaching the team -- assuming he wants that. He'll be the best dressed coach since the Special One...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 22, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Good post, SG. The "Luis" thing is yet another Christian Miles quirk that makes me wonder how he stays in a job.

Well, that was bizarre even by the high bar normally set by CONCACAF games (you've got to admit, what the region lacks in quality, we more than make up for in strange incidents). Roberto Moreno is normally an above-average referee in CONCACAF (which means he's terrible, but not as consistently terrible as most of the others), but he had no idea what he was doing tonight. Thorpe's first card was merited, but the 2nd was for timewasting when he'd had the ball for 10 seconds, tops, since it went out of bounds and with no warning. I felt like Ron Burgundy after it happened: "I'm not even mad, I'm impressed".

DC had no real skill in midfield (3 defender/midfielders and a guy who relies on athleticism), but even with no real break from the pressure we defended well. It looked ragged from time to time, but Cruz Azul's players and fans were very frustrated by the hour mark at how little they'd accomplished considering the circumstances. I thought Khumalo did well in the first half, but as the game wore on he simply ran out of gas (playing alone up front in Mexico City on a team down a man will do that to you).

The replay for Crayton's sending-off makes me think he actually got another yellow earlier that was not shown. I know he got yelled at for timewasting after Villaluz kicked the ball away from him about 3 full seconds after the whistle, but FSC's feed went to replays and whether Moreno ended up booking him then was left unclear. What is clear is that, no matter how infuriating it was to see Cruz Azul play on with Martinez legitimately hurt, he made a really stupid mistake to charge the ref and get sent off. I guess it's good that we are already going out, but we've picked up way too many red cards for stupid things this year.

All in all, a bizarre game but also one with some positives. Good defending from our reserves, even if we could barely muster an attack. It would have been something if Burch's 40 yarder had gotten in somehow. And while Moreno deserves to be at least considered for demotion to whatever is lower than a CONCACAF ref, I somehow doubt anything will happen. Cruz Azul in both legs showed themselves to be a rather classless opponent, though I find it just as hard to hope that Saprissa or Marathon go through. Can our whole group just be eliminated from the tournament?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 22, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Anyone thinking about a midlife career change? I hear that Panama is giving out referee licenses to anyone with $15 and a couple of Cheerios box-tops. My God, that was the worst display of refereeing I have ever seen in my life. Thorpe, Crayton, well played, sirs!

Posted by: Dobey | October 22, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

QUAVAS KIRK 4 GK.

Posted by: The Jim | October 22, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know what to make of Crayton's calisthenics. It was kinda funny.

I have to agree that the Ole Ole for playing keep-away from 7 players was incredibly classless.

And, @Ben, as we both noted in the last thread, there's a real bad history with Moreno. I said this the after the last time, but he should not be allowed to officiate any games involving American teams. On the other hand, if there's a referee who seems so clearly tilted, he shouldn't be refereeing any games.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 22, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Is it bad form for me to say that I hope Houston kicks the snot out of Pumas tomorrow night?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 22, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

We got 'em where we want 'em. U.S. teams are looking so good that "traditional" football countries are throwing everything they got at us - red carding keepers, red carding the coach, attacking with our defender down (and using him to keep their play onside)... oh, and that's at our reserves.

Way to go guys! (Or should I call them youngsters?)

I hope Houston makes it through so they face these cement bags down the road and turn them back into klinker; or the Islanders, or even Montreal!

Now let's turn our attention to Columbus...

Vamos United!

Posted by: ML | October 22, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

@Chest -- I don't think there was ever more than one yellow shown to Crayton. FSC's announcers got it right. He was shown a yellow for prostesting, and then he really went after the ref, and probably got really abusive, possibly even bumping the ref.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 22, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Re: Quavas Kirk 4 GK

God knows he has no business elsewhere on the pitch. Completely worthless, less so than even Rod Dyachenko... and that's saying something.

For the match against Marathon at home, United should just put Crayton in goal with a Wells jersey on. Not like FSC would notice, and we know the CONCACAF officials aren't that observant either.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 22, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

"DC should have pulled the team off the field after that 2nd goal and having your 2nd goalie tossed out.."

Ben Canada
------------------------------------------

I'm sure they considered it, but figured Cruz Azul would have kept on playing alone to pump up their goal differential. What a classless team.

Posted by: ML | October 22, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

FSC is reporting that Chivas (Guadalajara) was trying to get Nery Castillo, but couldn't get the deal done in time for Copa Sudamericana. Guess he's a washing out in Europe. So, I guess we can feel good about that.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 22, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Let's just hope we get a shot at Cruz Azul in next year's CCL. Revenge is best served cold.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 22, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the second Thorpe card - on the replay from behind the net, it looked like Thorpe may have thought the Referee's gestures were telling him to move the ball to the other side, to which he complied.

Posted by: ML | October 22, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Lighting Rod wouldn't have stood for this...

Posted by: andrew | October 22, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Steve... thank you for your comment on where James Thorpe went to school, but please note that he attended Franklin Pierce University... not College. As their SID, I was horrified at the lack of preperation by the announcers. Glad they new that Cruz's nickname are the Cement Mixers!

Posted by: FPUSID | October 22, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for Montreal and Puerto Rico in the final. Is that possible?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 22, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why you would want to play in this tournament again next year (even though you qualified already) - if it is run the same way with the officiating and scheduling it is probably better to give up the spot to someone else and let them deal with the CONCACRAP stuff

Posted by: JJ | October 22, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

that was the most horrendous soccer match ive seen in my whole life....hats off to james thorpe...he played 32 minutes and proved himself...he should have been taken off the bench ages ago and given a chance...he deserves another chance and play behind crayton rather than wells..thorpes athleticism and fearlessness is clutch...as for the referee he should be shot or fired either one is good with me..as for Kirk in goal at that point, the game was a joke...cruz azul has no class..horrible horrible

Posted by: soccer4life | October 22, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse

I haven't seen any distaste at the NO YELLOW CARD given to the Mexican who undercut Thorpe and almost broke his neck in doing so.

Posted by: Glaucon | October 22, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Would have liked to have seen Khumalo just sit infront of the ball instead of doing the restart after that second garbage red.

Funny thing is that a mostly first team Cruz Azul group couldnt do better than 2-0 at home versus most of our second team with a sprinkling of starters. This Champions League may not mean so much to more than just us.

Posted by: RIP General | October 22, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Glaucon -- I'm not even sure that was a foul. Thorpe went in the air practically on top of him. I don't see how he could have avoided it.

@ML -- I made the same point in the last thread. I think the ref confused Thorpe. I don't think he had any intent to delay the game. I'm glad we got a chance to see Thorpe, but I'd like to see more. Perhaps CONCACAF could be persuaded to review the ejection and the automatic suspension penalty, a la Lampard? I'm sure that won't happen unless DCU asks for it.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 22, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

thorpe is my hero and played pretty damn well...poor guy...he shouldnt have his head down at all...he made some amazin saves and DC should investigate and appeal thorpes second yellow...so then he can play in the next game against CD Marathon and have another chance to have a full game debut to prove his skills!

Posted by: eagles | October 22, 2008 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Fisch Fry:

I'm 90% sure what you're saying is what happened, but because of the low production values on the feeds FSC gets (not to mention FSC itself), bookings and such have been missed before in this tournament. Either way, the end result is that Crayton was sent off.

Glaucon:

Thorpe went up for the ball, as he should, and ended up on top of their player (I believe it was Sabah). As much as I would love to have more evidence that Cruz Azul is a classless organization from top to bottom, it looked to me like it was a fair play.

***

I think the Thorpe praise is getting to be a little out of control. He did well, but we're not talking about Lev Yashin quite yet. He got off his line well and seemed comfortable enough claiming crosses, but he also could have held at least 1 shot that turned into a corner, for example. The fact that the guy was the victim of an atrocious piece of officiating on his debut does not make him brilliant. I'd give him a 6.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 22, 2008 2:29 AM | Report abuse

well Chest Rockwell u have ur right to your opinion...but i think he deserves his praise...hes a kid 23 years old!!...first game as a pro and to come out the way he did...good for him! the amount of positives he did in 32 minutes i would have loved to see the whole 90...i havent seen that many debuts be that impressive...i give him a 9 and im pretty sure no one compared him to Lev Yashin...and ya the fact that the kid had to deal with horrible officiating more power to him and no one called thorpe brilliant either just impressed thats all

Posted by: eagles | October 22, 2008 3:24 AM | Report abuse

Your backup goalie for the Saprissa game? You guessed it, Frank Stallone.

Posted by: Section 130 | October 22, 2008 6:15 AM | Report abuse

re:

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 22, 2008 12:53 AM

------------------------------

I'd take Nery Castillo for DC United in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Ron | October 22, 2008 6:15 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't have gotten sent off.

Posted by: hope solo | October 22, 2008 6:41 AM | Report abuse

FSC in replays made it clear that Crayton got a yellow for yelling at the ref after the 2nd goal, and then another one for continuing to argue and bumping (or coming close to) the ref

Posted by: emanon | October 22, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red Devil | October 22, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

From where I sit,referee Roberto Moreno was right on. Some bloggers think that he is consistently anti-American? Perhaps he remembers the illegal December 1989 invasion of Panama
and the 3000 Panamanians killed vs. 22 Yanki Army Rangers. He's
just levelling the field a bit..
Presidente-for-life,Miami Hilton

Posted by: Manuel Noriega | October 22, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Close call between Saprissa and Cruz Azul as to who will win the Kraft Team Fair Play Award?!

Posted by: Arbitro | October 22, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Good for Beckham. He must be tired of that clown show in LA.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 22, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Cruz Azul and their 2 injury player goals! (That is 1 more than Saprissa!)

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if this is not the beginning of the end of the MLS Beckham show. Even though LA will likely improve under Bruce Arena, I think Beckham may have tired of LA, and does not want to wait around for things to improve on the field at LA. With Donovan casting his gaze across the pond again ths could be an interesting offseason for LA.

Posted by: Ron | October 22, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Good Lord...

Beckham will then join a stellar squad at Milan, which includes Brazilians Ronaldinho, Kaka and Alexandre Pato, as well as Italian internationals Andrea Pirlo and Gennaro Gattuso.

Interesting game last night -- wish I had remembered it was on.

Posted by: RK | October 22, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Until last evening I'd thought R. Moreno to be one of the "better" CONCACAF refs, I believe he was in charge at RFK last weekend for the Cuba match, but he was completely out of sorts last night.

Posted by: btwigg | October 22, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

OT:

Beckham to Milan on loan.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Beckham's world, we're just living in it.

Posted by: btwigg | October 22, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Beckham will have nothing but positives to say about MLS when he's on loan at AC Milan. He's a class person and a class professional.

He's just trying to get some good games in - seeing as he could win the UEFA Cup and the Scudetto. And goodness knows he's given LA a fair shake. That club is just terrible. It has no direction/leadership or anything else. Donovan's going to leave and they really need to spend a good four years rebuilding.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | October 22, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Well in, btwigg.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 22, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I think Becks is still committed to MLS, he just wants to play one more World Cup Finals. Playing in Milan this winter keeps him in contention for England's spring and summer qualifiers. If he didn't got to Italy, he'd potentially be done from Sunday till March.

Posted by: Kev | October 22, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | October 22, 2008 9:09 AM

I don't think he'll stay through May - he'll still be a Galaxy player and will report back to LA in the MLS pre-season.

Posted by: Kev | October 22, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

hey if players lay out another player on the field and get called, why shouldnt a player who takes out a keeper get called for a foul, even a yellow. It is a common law of the game that when you go up for a header that your body position stays straight anot bend over like ---- so that the other player gets taken out. There player clearly bent over backwards, almost as much as the ref.

YOU SIR ARE AS BAD AS THE REF!

Posted by: dc fan | October 22, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

There are a number of posts on Big soccer, etc... from what appear to be viewers watching the telefutura broadcast that indicate Crayton got a yellow minutes after coming in for time wasting. Given that FSC was time delayed, and possibly recieved brain damage from the train horns etc... its entirely possible that the crack commentating team there just missed the card. When I read that all I could think was that the ref must have been trying to justify his actions by perpetrating further bad acts.

Any oen watchign telefutura able to weight in?

Bottom line:

Cruz Azul has shown themselves to be a rather classless organization.

That ref isn't competant enough to for a Sunday over 40 coed league

Posted by: WC | October 22, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Are we even close to being invited to CONCACAF next year? Why is it always stressed about fair play? They seem to have forgotten to send the message to Mexico and Latin America. The ones who score when you have a man or men down and don't observe fair play by putting the ball out so the player can get aid should be fined and/or lose the game. Simple as that.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

"The replay for Crayton's sending-off makes me think he actually got another yellow earlier that was not shown."

"I don't think there was ever more than one yellow shown to Crayton. FSC's announcers got it right. He was shown a yellow for prostesting, and then he really went after the ref, and probably got really abusive, possibly even bumping the ref."

Crayton probablly got two yellows. As a former amateur referee I can tell you that the mechanics for sending off someone who gets two yellows for one incident (to be clear, this is two yellow card infractions occurring close enough in time that the first yellow hasn't been shown yet) is to show the first yellow and then a red. It's rare, but it is covered in the classes and books - I'm not sure if it's in "Advice to the Referees" or "Laws of the Game" though I think it's the former.

It is also possible, as has been suggested by the above quotes, that Crayton got a yellow and then a red.

That second yellow for Thorpe was crap. He should have gotten a verbal warning first.

Posted by: Arlington, VA S | October 22, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

DCU won the US Open Cup -- automatic invite to the CL next year.

Posted by: RK | October 22, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I will take Quavas Kirk over Zach Wells in goal any day.

Posted by: Asher | October 22, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Beckham continues to impress me. Not necessarily with the talent anymore (that, I knew), but with his determination. Every time the media, fans, or managers have counted him out, he has responded on the field. That is perhaps the best lesson for young players in soccer and in life. I won't be surprised to see him in South Africa (if England qualifies) as a sub.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 22, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

The officiating was completely lopsided it wasn't even funny. There were quite a few calls that were obviously going in favor of CA, it wasn't even funny. When Thorpe got dropped on his head by being undercut by the CA player, where was the card for that?

Giving Thorpe his second yellow (first one was not deserving either, it was a flippin dive) for "delay of game" so early in the game? I think not.

Normally, I'm very critical of the ref's but that show was dispicable. Roberto Moreno needs to find a new line of profession.

Posted by: dogboy | October 22, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I'll never buy another bag of Mexican cement again!

Posted by: Hedbal | October 22, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say this, since I know most folks disagree, but I personally enjoyed Superliga much more than this tournament. Intensity on both sides seemed higher and the officiating seemed at least a bit more competent. I guess this CCL is ultimately worth more, but it must improve to be worth it.

Also -- did anyone hear the Telefutura announcers say "Doctor Khumalo" a couple of times? What the heck is that in reference to?

Posted by: teamn | October 22, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Cruz Azul = Just another dishonorable Mex League side.

CCL = So far this competition has been a joke, but I guess it's all about the long term, right? I guess let me know when this competition actually means something and has competent refs. Then I'll watch.

BTW, is this what Mex clubs feel like when they come North for the SuperLiga? I hope we never have to hear about that competition ever again.

Posted by: kco | October 22, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Arlington, VA S | October 22, 2008 9:41 AM

--------------------------------------------

@Arlington -- I was writing for folks who saw the game. Crayton ran out of the goal to protest to the ref. He was quickly shown a yellow. Then, he got more combative and got a LOT closer to the ref. He either chest-bumped him or came awfully close. Then, Moreno backed away and whipped out the red card.

While theres' no doubt that Crayton was doing an awful lot of time-wasting, I think he got the yellow and then the red for the incident, without any previous yellow. He was ejected not for a second yellow, but for coming at the ref after being shown a first yellow.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 22, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Please, all of you, do me a big favor. If you ever find me ranting about the MLS officials just remind me that 'Rapidfire Red' Roberto is out there somewhere calling games.

Posted by: DCU-ATL | October 22, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

So what did Dunseth say about the lead up to Crayton's red? It was clear he was bating the ref beforehand (which I was enjoying immensely.

Kinda sad that CA could only win that game 2-0.

Posted by: Matt | October 22, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

As far as Moreno in the past, he did do the US-Cuba match at RFK earlier in the month, but also was in charge of DC's match at Pachuca in the CCC in April. I can't remember anything egregious in that one, but after last night, his legacy as a hack is cemented (pun intended).

Posted by: MJ | October 22, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

FishFry got it right.Crayton was
challenging the ref twice.Without being right there on the ground,or reading the ref.report,we just don't know any better. After watching the tape again this morning, I must say that Crayton was baiting/ provoking? the crowd/ref. with constant delay.Falling down on harmless balls when his team was behind? He would never get away with this in EUR or most places.
Just the same: He has become one of my favorite players b/c he inspires his mates; just needs the right kind of coaching to fit in.

Posted by: Coach Peter | October 22, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

For all those posters down on the CCL,remember:This is the first try,and CONCACAF is trying to emulate UEFA,AFRICA and ASIANFFs
profitable CLs.I expect them to make adjustments after this first try; let's wait and see. To be fair, the major culprit for our predicament is MLS and its triple
scheduling.
On a positive note: Shouldn't we all rejoice in the success of
Montreal's Impact? (Final 8 already).

Posted by: CP | October 22, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

to: teamn Theophilus Khumalo (Doctor) was a South African player who was on Columbus Crew from 1996 to the end of 1997 when his contract expired. He was a 6 ft 1 in midfielder.

Posted by: A Fan | October 22, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

The replay showed very clearly that Crayton got a yellow for dissent and got the red after he bumped the ref. As for the ref's performance, the one thing nobody has mentioned, is after the second goal there was a squirmish on the field, and one of Cruz Azul's subs came onto the field to participate. After it was over, the fourth official correctly identified the player to the ref, who then gave him a yellow card for coming onto the field. A yellow card, not a red! That should tell you all you need to know about that pinhead ref.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | October 22, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Section 130, you sir crack me up.

Posted by: Watches too much SNL | October 22, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCU-ATL | October 22, 2008 10:54 AM

That made me laugh out loud. Thanks, dcu-atl, that was funny!

Posted by: dogboy | October 22, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Love it that my blog post is the first listing when you type "referee roberto moreno" into google. It's gonna take him a long time to live this one down.

Posted by: DCUMD | October 22, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha, just laughing at the praise Thorpe is getting. He is a terrible goal keeper. Have you seen his reserve games? He also should of gotten a straight red for the tackle out of the box.

Posted by: John | October 22, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I prefer CCL to Superliga because it actually means something. However, I agree Superliga was much better organized. I would prefer to support something other than a Jack Warner event, however I think the solution is to run a strong challenger against Warner in the CONCACAF elections (is there even such a thing?). We need to find a way to save the integrity of our regional association and by extension the CCL.

Posted by: FC | October 22, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse