United-Dynamo, the Aftermath

This will not be the usual postgame wrap-up. Here's why:

A few minutes after the match ended, DCU goalkeeper Louis Crayton was chatting with well-wishers outside the locker room when a Houston fan directed slurs at the Liberian. Crayton leapt over a retaining barrier and attempted to confront the individual, who kept walking. I was chatting with GM Dave Kasper a few yards away when he abruptly bolted off to help restrain Crayton, who was visibly upset.

To their credit, Houston officials acted swiftly. Security pursued the fan, briefly apprehended him and then escorted him out of the stadium. The club has banned him from future games and may take additional action. MLS has been notified of the incident.

"It is so sad that he would say that to me," Crayton said. "I am saying hi to the fans and he walked up to me and told me, 'Hey, you're a monkey, go back to the jungle.' I told him, 'Hey, you can't say that to me. I am not a monkey, I am a human being like you.' I jumped over to ask him why he insulted me, and he kept going."

The incident was allowed to occur because Robertson Stadium lacks a proper buffer zone between players heading to the locker room and fans exiting the venue. The referee and assistants are in a similiar situation trying to reach their changing room.

A sad ending to a very strange night.

The full story is available here.

By Steve Goff  |  October 12, 2008; 10:31 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: United-Dynamo
Next: Cuban Player Talks

Comments

Pathetic

Posted by: LN Hunter | October 12, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

i'm glad the dynamo officials acted swiftly. how does this still happen in this day and age? horrible.

Posted by: hokie soccer fan | October 12, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

That is terrible. Crayton seems like a free spirited great guy. It is a poor representation for Americans

Posted by: adam | October 12, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

That attitude, unfortunately, is prevalent in our society. Mccain rallies this year prove this exactly.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

What a night.

Posted by: sitruc | October 12, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

i hope he gets banned from mls games for life!!!!!
thats the least thing he deserves.

Posted by: anonim | October 12, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

That's the second incident of racism recorded this year, with the first being in Columbus. The league is going to need to do a campaign of some kind.

Posted by: David | October 12, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Post the dude's name, and he'll get a public beating.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | October 12, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, third incident of racism. Chicago has had their share of it too. :(

Posted by: La Barra Blonde | October 12, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

It's very sad...how can some have that kind of attitude? WHY???

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Just when you think this season couldn't get any worse...good thing Crayton was not physically harmed. Thanks Goff for reporting the facts.

Posted by: tim | October 12, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm hardly an advocate of violence, but racism is one of the few things I have no sympathy for. I would not have thought different of Crayton had he chased the guy down and beat him.
Despicable.

Posted by: Ryan | October 12, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Barack will save us from such ugliness when he comes into his Kingdom.

They really just need to let these pro athletes beat these people with impunity and it will stop.

Posted by: Change | October 12, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Time for creative judicial process - when he's convicted of a hate crime - have him serve his time in a monkey cage at the zoo!

Not going to lay blame on MLS here or the Dynamo - it's just the unfortunate attitudes of too many Americans!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | October 12, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

just sad

Posted by: JSF | October 12, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

"Mccain rallies this year prove this exactly."

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2008 10:54 PM

------------------------------------------

last I checked this was the soccer insider, not politics insider.

Posted by: steve-o | October 12, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

How do teams go about actually enforcing a ban to someone. What stops that person from just coming back in a few weeks and buying a ticket right before the game or having friends buy their ticket?

Posted by: Matt | October 12, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

"The league is going to need to do a campaign of some kind."
Posted by: David | October 12, 2008 10:58 PM

I agree. MLS would be right to confront this head on and take public measures to address it. That behavior is pretty disgusting, and some public awareness will do more to ensure fans are self-policing and have zero tolerance.

At the very least, the MLS needs to have bigger balls than FIFA in condemning this racist crap. Their pathetic fine for the chants in the Croatia-England match exemplifies their spinelessness.

Posted by: longfellow | October 12, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I would have preferred that my fellow Dynamo fans would have insulted ref Baldemero Toledo after the game. However, you jump the rail at Robertson and start something you don't know what can happen depending upon the situation. That area can get real crowded after a game.

Goff is right, the buffer area is probably a little small but the referee issue is worse - they get a police escort but they have to walk thru the lowest level of the stands on to the concourse and into the ref's dresssing room. A mob could certainly overwhelm the cops in that situation. You'd think they'd do a better job with postgame security considering how many post-game scrums we have with every Mexican team we play.

Posted by: JJ | October 12, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

That is texas for you. A bunch of ignorant rednecks.

Posted by: pigman sweet | October 12, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Chicanos = Racist MF'ers

Posted by: Thora | October 12, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

"as an independent voter -- that is not really a fair statement. are all republicans racists? of course not. don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch.

last I checked this was the soccer insider, not politics insider.

what was said to crayton has no place in our society, lets not make it worse by stereotyping folks."

Posted by: steve-o | October 12, 2008 11:36 PM

Oh I know. I'm not suggesting that all or the majority republicans are racists.

However, it is very evident that there were some bad apples. And having the crowd react the way they did, doesn't help.

On top of that, I personally have asked co-workers and friends if they believe Obama is or could be a terrorist and I've been shocked with the responses I've gotten.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

last I checked this was the soccer insider, not politics insider.
----
Sad that crap like this makes me doubt you. I'd like to think people who love soccer in the US are above the racism that scars this country. I'd also like to think that people who care enough about this country to be politically active would be above using code words to remind each other of Obama's race.

Posted by: DrWoo | October 13, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

And MLS should have jumped on this issue, YEARS AGO! with the countless internationals we have had in our ranks. Something should have been promoted to unify for the love of the sport.

People still see this world in black and white when we all know its in HD color!

Posted by: TheWashDipSince88 | October 13, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Chicanos = Racist MF'ers

Posted by: Thora | October 12, 2008 11:55 PM
------------------------------------------

hold up kid,

dont jump and start pointing fingers, we are trying to avoid that here.
Cause the same could be said for any race. So dont trip!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 13, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Dynamo fan and at the game. This Dynamo fan doesn't reflect the Dynamo fan base. On behalf of the majority of Houston Dynamo fans - I apologize to Louis Crayton. He played a great game. To "pigman sweet". You are showing your ignorance. Houston is a very modern cosmopolitan area full of scientists (remember NASA), professionals, engineers. Houston has expatriates and immigrants from around the World. I've lived in many places in the U.S. and around the World and although Houston has some "rednecks" - it doesn't have any more than most any other American cities. Also based on my knowledge of the fanbase - the likelihood is that it probably wasn't a "redneck" who made the racist remark.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Sad that one or two jerks can ruin the generally awesome un-biasness we have here in the USA. I dont think we will ever have a chance of being as bad as it is on the other side of the pond, but we need to have harsh punishments to keep it that way.

I think Gooch and a number of other pro-footballers (dax mccarty and chris seitz are officers of the group) started a Anti Racism in Football facebook group. I dont think we will ever truly know what some of our guys (jozy, gooch, freddy) must go through over there on a daily basis on and off the field.

All because some fan is pissed off that his team lost.

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | October 13, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Please keep the political crap out of here. You aren't going to win any votes.

Posted by: RK | October 13, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that most folks seem to assume that the perpetrator is some red-neck republican.

From the many Houston games I've seen their fan base looks anything but red-neck and republican, quite the opposite actually.

Posted by: Tony T | October 13, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone here has tried to "win votes"

Posted by: SU | October 13, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

The Dynamo players would have been behind right behind Louis Crayton in chasing down this fan had they heard the remark.

Posted by: jb | October 13, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I think most of us are intelligent enough to know that we shouldn't make stereotypes on: people from Texas, republicans, democrats, or Dynamo fans.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

This guy will come off his line, jump barriers, run upfield, whatever - man, I love how courageous & free Louis Crayton is!

Posted by: Les | October 13, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

I think it's important for someone to say this pubicly, whether Louis sees it or not:
Louis, you played an awesome game tonight, and I think you're a fantastic addition to the United family. From everything I've seen about you before coming to DC, and from what I've seen in the short time you've been here, I'd say that you are a good man of great character. Sorry you had to put up with something so misguided and hateful. Thanks for being a part of my beloved DC United.
Feel free to second this.

Posted by: Doug Dobey | October 13, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Doug, I'm not really a DCU fan, but I've enjoyed the way Crayton cares about his team, his teammates, his supporters, all of it. He's impressed me all the way through, and I'd love to have him on my team any day.

Posted by: Jacob | October 13, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

In Columbus they didn't know who the person was. But in this situation, they got exactly the guy, so there is no excuse for anything but a lifetime ban from all MLS matches for this person.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | October 13, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Most people here probably know this, but just in case not . . .unlike the incident tonight or the incident earlier this year at Columbus, the alleged racist behavior at Chicago earlier this year (referred-to earlier in the comments) was not alleged to have come from Chicago supporters, but from security personnel at Toyota Park.

Posted by: Bootsy | October 13, 2008 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Wow. As if one form of racism, prejudice, or stereotyping wasn't enough for the night, we've got people on here turning right around to do it again on another group that they have no reason to blame--other than the fact that the state in which it happened is stereotyped as "Redneck." Remind me again why the fact that this racist was one man from Texas makes him either a Redneck, Republican, or any of the other potential stereotypes you want to associate the state with?
You want to know why racism still exists? Take a look at your own impulse to assume stereotypes and you'll have the answer right there anonymous.

Posted by: elopingcamel | October 13, 2008 2:23 AM | Report abuse

At the very least, the MLS needs to have bigger balls than FIFA

=============================

How would that work? Like size 5.5 or something? Wouldn't we need bigger goals then too?

Seriously, Crayton is good for DCU and good for the sport in the US. Plays with his heart on his sleeve. From the joy of victory (giving away his shirt to a fan after the Open Cup victory) to the agony of defeat (pulling his shirt over his head after his bonehead play against Chivas). Dude loves the game, it shows.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 13, 2008 3:02 AM | Report abuse

About Goff's other story, I'm sure he'll post it, but it's up on the web site, and it's about freedom.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 13, 2008 3:06 AM | Report abuse

hopefully dcu will give Crayton a standing ovation when he next plays at rfk.

by the way, kudos to the anonymous dynamo supporter: that was a measured and intelligent response to a blithering idiot.

Posted by: troy | October 13, 2008 3:07 AM | Report abuse

yuck.

Louis Crayton is one of the few bright spots of the second half of this season and I hope he sticks around DC next year.

Posted by: diego r. | October 13, 2008 3:08 AM | Report abuse

The idiot who said the racist remark was a fan of a certain 'mexicans only' FMF league club and their sister club in MLS.

I'm not shocked, they should have turned over this fool to be used as a pinata by the Texian Army or El Batallon.

Posted by: Racism Sux | October 13, 2008 3:20 AM | Report abuse

This is a real disgrace. It makes me sick to my stomach that this could happen to anyone, and it's even worse that it's happened several times this year in MLS. It's totally inexcusable.

As for the posters who are choosing to smear entire groups of people, I can only hope you see how ridiculous and unfair your reactions are. You're no better than the person who insulted Crayton.

This spoils what was a positive night for United (getting a shutout in Houston is something few of us believed possible, especially with the players missing) and for Crayton in particular.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 13, 2008 4:05 AM | Report abuse

Now that we know that his feelings were hurt, how's his shoulder?

Back to the righteous indignation.

Posted by: Pardon the Interruption | October 13, 2008 6:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DrWoo | October 13, 2008 12:01 AM
-------------------------------------------

I hope you are not insinuating that I am doing that. Code words? So if I'm using "code words" please enlighten us all as to what they are.

Reread my original post moron. You know what I'm prejudiced against? STUPIDITY. Which you seem to be showing a lot of with what you said in your post.

Posted by: steve-o | October 13, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

This was a sad and disgusting event that helps remind us of what the underbelly of our world often looks like. This is happening all over the world and the sport is doing the best it can to stamp it out of the game. Total success in this effort will take time, and for what it's worth I think MLS has done an OK job in that respect so far. That said the more fans we bring into our games the more of these types of incidents we'll hear from time-to-time. MLS has to attack this thing head on and fast. Nip it in the bud, so to speak. Racism is a disgusting disease that permeates throughout the world, one that I see however as a shrinking malignancy. Things are much better now than they were 50 years ago and I am confident that they will get even better in the next 50. For total disclosure, I am an optimist.

To Houston fans, the shame and indignity of this disgraceful behaviour is that of the stupid fan's alone. In my eyes you do not and should not be expected to share any blame for this shameful and disgusting act. For me the actions of one stupid idiot (probably a racist idiot, who knows?) does not in any way whatsoever represent the lives, thoughts or tolerances of the awesome fans and great people of Houston, Columbus, Chicago, or Texas or where ever these types of sad events may occur in the world.

To those who love to paint the many with broadstroke blame for the actions of the few, or even worse make some of the broad intolerant remarks I've read in this post know this...you are no better than that idiot who sparked this whole disgusting and unfortunate incident. The only way to finally beat and iradicate racism is to stop blind hatred, reckless remarks of one or many and to be tolerant and appreciative of our differences. Stupid posts attacking a group of people and holding them all accountable for the actions of one or a few does not help the cause.

Keep up the good fight. VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh | October 13, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

"The incident was allowed to occur because Robertson Stadium lacks a proper buffer zone between players heading to the locker room and fans exiting the venue."

That doesn't make any sense after you stated that Crayton had gone out of his way to speak with the fans. The incident was not allowed to occur, it happened simply because one drunk idiot ran his mouth and then ran away.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Quality reaction from the Houston organization in this.

Unfortunately, the racist attitudes (and drunk idiots) are part of all of the sporting world - which makes a swift, unforgiving response to these incidents that much more important.

Posted by: PotomacBoater | October 13, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

The actions of one individual should not be held against houston, the team, or the fans. There are people like that everywhere. I do have a theory which Im not sure it right but i wanted to share...

Could it be that in soccer, since there is such a small minority of african american/european fans, this allows for this type of racism. In other sports in the US there is a huge african/american fan base and anyone caught saying this would not only get a reaction from the player, but also get chased by some fans for being so offensive.

Agains we should not blame houston, as the passion for this port, builds up, every game starts to get more heated and stupid people say things that im sure they dont mean. I am sure that alot of other MLS fans have cursed at opposing team players before. THE MAIN DIFFRENCE OF COURSE I THIS IS OFFENSIVE RACIAL SLUR. THIS will not be tolerated. BLAME THE FAN NOT THE TEAM

Posted by: dc fan | October 13, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Crayton played an amazing game last night. I saw it all from my seat in the stands cheering my beloved Dynamos. I was appalled and saddened over the story reported this morning. I apologize to Mr. Crayton and DC United over the "incident" that left him and others tightly upset. I am very happy that the Dynamo acted so quickly but not surprised. I hope they charge the "fan" with something. Additionally, he should be banned from the game. Is there a "Not Allowed to Attend" list for MLS??
Finally, DCU fans have every right to be very happy with Mr. Crayton's arrival.....he seems a great addition and someone easy to cheer for!

Posted by: Lee | October 13, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

>The actions of one individual should not be held against houston, the team, or the fans. There are people like that everywhere.

that's true BUT it's time for fellow fans to "shout down" such behavior; JUST LIKE at those mccain rallies SOMEONE should have shouted down those few idiots who yelled "terrorist", "kill him" etc. the ONLY way to combat this crap is for US ALL TO TAKE A MORE PROACTIVE STANCE. racism has to go the way of things like drunk driving, where over the last 20 years it just became very unhip/uncool to do such acts. peer pressure, folks, peer pressure...

Posted by: birdy | October 13, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

As a Dynamo fan and member of one of the supporters groups, I can tell you that this idiot and his attitude does not represent anywhere near a majority of the Dynamo fan base, whether it be the casual fan who shows up for two or three games a year or one of the die-hard supporters in Texian Army or El Battalon. The reaction of those of us who were still at the game was much the same as the above upon hearing of the incident. He should have had his ass beaten, and any one of us would be more than happy to do the honors. There's no place for this kind of BS at a soccer game, or anywhere else for that matter.

From what I saw, Crayton seemed like a very personable individual. I think he may have even thrown a smile in our direction on his way off of the pitch, which as far as I know, is probably a first for an opposing goalkeeper. He was easily Man of the Match last night. He was definitely not afraid to attack the ball and come off his line to make the save. The feeling among the commentators I heard prior to the game was that the Dynamo would take three points from DC without breaking a sweat. Our boys had their own failings last night, but Crayton definitely gave it his all to make sure that didn't happen.

Nobody deserves to receive the kinds of comments Crayton unfortunately heard last night. Heated competition and love of one's side is one thing, but there is no place for racism at a Dynamo event, and I think I speak for the vast, vast majority of our fans when I say that I hope it stays that way.

Posted by: Cansez | October 13, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Go Crayton! We got love for ya all over DC!

Next time Kasper should have held the guy down so Crayton could unleash some of his pent up frustration on him!

P-->BAN THE FAN FOR LIFE!

Posted by: delantero | October 13, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Two points out and two remaining games against two teams already in the playoffs?

RALLY TIME!

The odds are stacked against us, but if they are able to make a run to the Cup, it'd likely be the sweetest season ever!

Posted by: delantero | October 13, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

So...

... back to DCU, after last night's games, it looks like DC is in a must win situation for the last two games. I think they can do it, but I doubt they will.

Last year, the playoff line was at 40 points. DC has 34.

I think DC can beat NE at home Thursday, but will not manage more than a tie at Columbus on the last day, despite Columbus having "nothing to play for." Still, it will be the last game in the league, and all other results will be known by kickoff, so the team will know exactly what they need to do.

After the horrible month of September, I'm glad there's still some drama and hope left to the season for DC. I hope there's a good crowd for Thursday at RFK.

Posted by: Rob | October 13, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

As a Dynamo fan, I also would like to extend my apologies to DCU. That was certainly uncalled for. But Goff nailed it on the head... this is not a stadium set up for professional sports. This college stadium (for anyone who has been to the stadium) is really odd when it comes to players entering and exiting the field/stadium and fans trying to enter and exit the East sideline stands. It is an absolute mess. I make sure my tickets are on the west side just because of it. This is not something that is going to be easily prevented until Dynamo get their own stadium (not gonna happen anytime soon) or we inconvinience some fans by making more of a barracade (which is gonna have to happen.)

Once again, apologies to DCU players and fans... just know that one idiot should not spoil your view of another great soccer fan base.

Posted by: Tone_E | October 13, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I bet I know who that fan is NOT voting for. Oy vey.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

That is texas for you. A bunch of ignorant rednecks.

Posted by: pigman sweet | October 12, 2008 11:48 PM

Chicanos = Racist MF'ers

Posted by: Thora | October 12, 2008 11:55 PM

---------------------------

No HYPOCRITES up in here, are there?

Posted by: S | October 13, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

What makes this incident inexplicable is that soccer is the most racially inclusive of all sports. I play every week with a group that includes Africans (including Muslims), Hispanics, and Anglos, and the experience teaches tolerance and inclusion to those who need instruction. I'm old enough to remember segregated gridiron football and basketball teams (I played on them), but try to imagine how bizarre it would be today to jeer at a black player in these sports. It's wrong, of course, but it's also stupid, as you would have thought we as a nation got beyond this kind of ignorance decades ago.

Posted by: Hedbal | October 13, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

What an idiot. Good for Crayton in getting in the guy's face. Hopefully Houston isn't penalized; it's not their fault that some moron came to their game.

Posted by: Hacksaw | October 13, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

here is some encouraging one...

Posted by: td | October 13, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Crayton and Janicki for their play. A loud boo for Comcast's play-by-play announcer. He's as bad as they get.

Posted by: Running Cloud | October 13, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Damn, the story got picked up on ESPN.com front page. 97 comments over there. Yikes, not all are so good...

Posted by: Rex | October 13, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Racism has no place in our stands or in our communities.

Posted by: Kick Racism Out | October 13, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

So the guy was some drunk Mexican chivas fan? That's what I'm hearing, not that it matters I guess. Just a terrible incident all around.

I don't think anyone could have blamed Crayton for stomping a mudhole in that guy.

Posted by: Tony T | October 13, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Link to the ESPN story? I know its bad that it got picked up, but with national spotlight, MLS will have to take serious action against this guy. Anything less than a ban for life from all MLS games is unacceptable.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | October 13, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad that Louis Crayton is playing for DC United. He has the pride and passion to represent our side, and I hope he can be our first choice keeper for years to come.

This incident and the Cuban players' defection present a teachable moment for those of use with children who love soccer like we do.

Like Hedbal, I play in a weekly pickup game - and a second one during daylight savings time - where there's people from many different countries, and it's been great to get to know some of the guys. I agree that soccer is a very inclusive sport.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | October 13, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

It's sad that we have this type of attitude in our stadiums this day an age, but it is something that I feel will always be around.

That being said, Crayton played an awesome game. As did Janiki. It was said to me that Crayton reminded me of my friend of Oscar Sanchez, with his "agressive" style, always running out of the goal. Brought a little chuckle out of me.

Posted by: dogboy | October 13, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I wanted to make this clear. My response was not in apathy, it angers me as much as it angers all of you. I hate that there still is racisim. Especially in "The Worlds Game".

Posted by: dogboy | October 13, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The real story here is not this one jerk, but Louis Crayton, who chose not to let this guy walk away with impunity. I think it is incumbent on us DCU fans to specially salute Crayton at the game -- if he's healthy and starting, then at least a standing ovation during the introductions.

It's a despicable incident -- one that reflects great prejudice all around the world -- but, it is also in this country, and it is showing up in the election campaign. It's certainly not typical of Republicans, and there are plenty of Democrats that are less than enlightened -- witness things said during the Democratic primaries. However, the comment above that started the political discussion is spot on. There are many people who are reacting viscerally and racially to Obama's campaign, and they are showing up at McCain rallies to make themselves ehard. There was the guy with the monkey doll that had an Obama sticker on its head. There was the woman who practically broke down talking to McCain, saying she didn't trust Obama because he's an Arab -- no doubt, because she's been hearing the internet rumors and the FOX News stories suggesting he's really a Muslim, or emphasizing Obama's middle name.

At least, McCain took the microphone to tell the woman that he's not an Arab -- McCain said "he's a decent family man -- a citizen". What he didn't say, though, was how outrageous her prejudice was. What if he were an Arab-American? There is a certain segment in this country that is incredibly closed-mided and reacts to difference with fear. It also true that Republicans have been deliberately using that to their advantage -- appealing to these folks since Nixon's "southern strategy". We cannot say that all Republicans are guilty of racism, but it is also fair to say that many people are troubled by the hate and fear they hear at McCain rallies. Until prominent conservatives start telling their supporters that prejudice refelects badly on them and saying they don't want their votes, and unitl they stop implying that Deomcrats are aligned with non-white interests, such bigotry will always find a home here. People think they can say racist things and that they're just saying what everyone else is thinking. That's got to stop.

We've all got to do our part -- and it seems to me that right now our part is to rally behind Crayton -- loud and long.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 13, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Right on, Fisch Fry.

I'll be at the game Thursday and Louis will hear our support....loud and clear.

Vamos United!!!

Posted by: Smitty | October 13, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Can MLS really persue a lifetime ban or go further with law enforcement over what someone said? Racism has been tolerated under free speach, what's different about this occasion? Since when is it against the law to call someone a monkey?

I'm not defending this person's actions, I'd just like to spark a more enticing discussion rather than all of this soft pity for Crayton, who by the way handled himself like a class act.

Posted by: Ryan | October 13, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Truth, FischFry. That's the point. As long as politicians don't openly condemn the between-the-lines racism of their own following, dolts like the Houston idiot might be isolated enough not to act on their idiocy.

Steve-O, your note had no code words. You act too rashly. FischFry gets it. The code words are, with a wink and a nod, giving the green light to more overt racism. You exhibit none, hence you take offense for nothing.

Posted by: DrWoo | October 13, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

What are you guys talking about McCain and Obama for?

This was some idiot mexican fan and has nothing to do with the presidential race.

Posted by: What?? | October 13, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Ryan: MLS can ban anyone they want, for whatever reason they want, there is no right to attend a sporting event in the Constitution, and being verbally abusive of a player is clearly grounds for banning.

I don't see how criminal prosecution would be possible of even desirable,, it is not a crime to insult someone and generally make an ass out of yourself.

Posted by: Northzax | October 13, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

what are drunk Chivas fans doing at a Dynamo/DCU game anyway?
Was he wearing a Chivas jersey? Como se dice DORK in Espanol?
maybe the video clip will help...

Posted by: dadryan | October 13, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Crayton for President! Citizenship thingy might be a problem. Who would have thought it would all start here. The White House back lawn could use a pitch. Just as long as he doesn't pick Wells as the VP. Maybe go for Heather Mitts instead.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | October 13, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Citizenship thingy not the real problem, but place of birth outside the US is the problem. At least, it is a problem according to the Constitution -- but McCain gets a pass...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

What a coward to throw slurs and then walk away. You'd think a person wouldn't open his mouth to say this garbage if he wasn't ready for a fight.

The problem is not the structure of Robertson stadium but the fact that some people think they're entitled to make derogatory statements to players (or refs for that matter).

Posted by: Eugene | October 13, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Good to see that Houston took quick action. banning the jackass for life is probably the best they can do. Maybe publishing his name would be a good thing too.

I know it's good for Crayton to stand up for himself, but you don't want to get hurt arguing with a jackass. Definitely going to cheer loudly for him on Thursday.

First class posts above from Houston fans.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 13, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

As a proud Houstonian and ardent Dynamo fan, thanks to all who gave us the benefit of the doubt and didn't judge us by this whack job. We are indeed a very cosmopolitan city, with our own resident ballet, opera and symphony companies, not to mention second to NY in theater seats, which may surprise some of you.

Just don't hate us when we win our third title. :)

Posted by: Tracey | October 13, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

@ Tracey

Rest assured, we hate the Dynamo and their absurdly fortunate fans. We won't have to wait for more titles to reach that point.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Off topic Houston fact: The Houston Grand Opera were responsible for the only current recording of Scott Joplin's only opera, "Treemonisha."

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse