United-Saprissa, the Aftermath

A few thoughts while watching the match on TV.....

*I've been to Saprissa three times and love the place, but it just doesn't seem the same with that artificial turf.

*How many times did the FSC announcers refer to "Jeff Carroll"? Jeff Carroll hasn't played all season. Pat Carroll was on the field at Saprissa. After Saprissa's equalizer, we finally heard the correct Carroll named...but of course, they then incorrectly corrected themselves!

*Credit to Quavas Kirk for taking the ball from the Saprissa defender and setting up Francis Doe's early goal.

*Zach Wells was having a very nice match...until the final few minutes.

*In the end, Rod Dyachenko was the hero for scoring the added-time equalizer, but his deliberate trip, setting up Saprissa's first-half penalty kick that was missed, was amateurish.

*A sportsmanship issue? With Kirk on the ground with an injury, Saprissa continued to play and scored the tying goal.

*Tommy Soehn's red card? Clearly he didn't want to go to Mexico City for the DCU-Cruz Azul match in two weeks.

*With two matches per team remaining, Saprissa, Marathon and Cruz Azul have seven points through four games, United has one.

PLAYER RATINGS
Wells 4; Thompson 4, Janicki 4, Martinez 4, Zaher 5; Kirk 5, Carroll 4, Vide 5, Miller 4; Dyachenko 5, Doe 6. Subs: McTavish 4, Burch 5, Khumalo 5.

By Steve Goff  |  October 10, 2008; 12:40 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: DCU at Saprissa
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Suck it, u haters

Posted by: Rod Dyachenko | October 10, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Overall considering the tactics employed, the 2-2 result is a good one. That being said, I hate sitting back and defending the majority of the game. For spells you may have to do that, but the whole game? If MLS is going to be the best in the region, they must play teams in our region straight up. Sitting back and looking for a lucky chance has cost United in most of the internationals this year and in previous. When success was to be had it was not by defending on the 18 the entire match. This isn't Italy or England. In this country we don't have the patience, discipline, or attention span to play in this manner

Posted by: Soehn should grow a pair | October 10, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Hey Steve-

Is Christian Miles aware that everyone hates his ridiculous mannerisms? Za-hair? The Americans? The Pat/Jeff Carroll mixup was mild by his standards. I don't know how Brian Dunseth resists throttling him in the LA Studio.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | October 10, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

You listed Martinez as Gonzalez in your ratings.

Nice showing by the reserves. There were instances of really cohesive units putting on some nice one touch passing. I would like to see this squad playing this weekend. I'd add Namoff, Simms, and Crayton into the mix.

Posted by: N. Daknow | October 10, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse

Goff I see you rated Zaher, but what about the other player that was out there...the one Christian Miles kept calling Za'here? I love FSC and could be spoiled with all the soccer flying on the tube, but Miles really tends to rub me wrong.

Games was cool, youngsters are showing some great stuff and getting solid exposure. This could prove very useful for near-future depth.

Posted by: Kosh | October 10, 2008 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Suck it, u haters

Posted by: Rod Dyachenko | October 10, 2008 12:57 AM
---------------------------------------------

I always believed in you Rod!

FSC are morons. The only thing Christian Miles does is pretend like he has some sort of an announcer voice and read from a thesaurus and a book of cliches. I can just picture him doing it too... staring at the game with a constant smile on his face, not blinking. He's an idiot.

Posted by: andrew | October 10, 2008 1:46 AM | Report abuse

I think the ratings are pretty fair. It was a courageous performance from a reserve squad, but let's be honest..."courageous" does not mean "good". The fact that Saprissa needed 80 minutes to get a goal, despite our near-constant turnovers in midfield and dicey clearances, really points to the truth of the matter. I don't want to take away from the guys that played for United tonight (who gave their all and pulled off a result no one expected), but we were extremely lucky tonight. Dyachenko could have picked up 3 yellows by halftime, Alpizar missed the penalty, and Saprissa also had a legit goal taken back.

Of course, we did do our best late on to give them back what they had given us. Pat Carroll's incredibly awkward attempt to...well, I'm not even sure what he planned on doing with the ball, but he almost put it in for an own goal, then had the first attempt to clear it after it hit the post only to miss it entirely, before Elizondo pounded it in to end a pathetic moment. It would have been comical if it wasn't so painful to watch. And then, the 2nd goal should have killed us off. Wells decided to go with the one-handed grab, when he had the options of punching it clear or even getting his other hand involved to grab it securely. Instead, he flicked the ball onto Alpizar's head, which was followed by yet another lucky break (as Alpizar hit the bar), only for Elizondo to once again finish a poor sequence for all involved.

The reserves showed real guts to get an equalizer rather than give up (perhaps that's the consequence of our first-choice players being on the field for so many recent losses, while the reserves haven't been involved in as many defeats). Since we were already playing with house money, I thought it was entirely appropriate that it was a Rod Dyachenko goal off his chest. I laughed and laughed. Here's a guy who must have put 25 short passes out of bounds or straight to a Saprissa player, gave away a penalty for no reason, should have long been sent off, and is generally the least-liked player on the team...in a game against a much stronger opponent, in an intimidating stadium, in the midst of a lengthy streak without a win...and he's the one who scores? Fantastic.

While the reserves have shown a lot of fight and grit (if not skill) against Saprissa and Cruz Azul, I am not on board for a mass deployment of reserves against Houston. Some players have earned a look (Zaher, Vide, and Doe from the starters tonight were the 3 best in my opinion). Both of these games required a ton of good fortune and an opponent playing well below what they're capable of. Houston will not underestimate us like Cruz Azul and Saprissa did, and the lineup we sent out tonight would get pounded. We turned the ball over way too often, and Houston kills teams that gives them a chance to camp in their end. Doe probably would have started anyway, but I think it might be wise to get Vide in with Simms in central midfield to contain Houston.

In summation, give the kids some credit, but let's be realistic: this was an awfully fortunate result.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 10, 2008 1:57 AM | Report abuse

P.S.

On Christian Miles:
Between the British-isms that are totally unfamiliar in the US, the near-constant misidentified players, and his pronunciations, it boggles my mind that he stays on the air (even at an outfit like FSC, which still airs Fox Football Fone-In). I thought about creating a Christian Miles drinking game (examples: Miles uses the phrase "...ever so..." - 1 drink; Miles continually attributes something to the wrong player for over a minute, even after replay has clearly shown him wrong - 2 drinks), but I figure that would kill several people.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 10, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse

That surface just might have been worse than Rice-Eccles

Posted by: Johnny | October 10, 2008 2:22 AM | Report abuse

...but I figure that would kill several people.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 10, 2008 2:03 AM
---------------------------------------------

No doubt! How about "is there a twist in the tail?" - 2 drinks, he says it toward the end of every game.

Posted by: andrew | October 10, 2008 5:14 AM | Report abuse

dc united, thanks for nothing

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 5:31 AM | Report abuse

It was simply too much to expect Wells to play 90 gaff free minutes.

Posted by: congguy | October 10, 2008 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Two games in a row the bench plays with more hustle than the starters?

I have only been able to scan through the game on this morning, but nice work by Kirk and Doe no the first DC goal.

It seems the Saprissa tying goal was yet another turf goal against DC. (thank goodness RSL is out of that club and NY is soon to be. I guess NE and Seattle will be with us for a while)

Wells did not look good on the second goal, to put it mildly.

Maybe the red on Soehn works for everyone - those who like him can say it fires up the team, those who don't like him can say he won't be around the next game to screw things up!

Not related to the game, but on Wash Post Live yesterday, everyone's favorite mayor came on the show for a chat. He talked about two stadiums! That's right, the Nats' one and a potential Redskins one...and the Comcast folks didn't even bring up DC United. (zzzzzzzz)

Posted by: Rob | October 10, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

rob - "Two games in a row the bench plays with more hustle than the starters?"

huh? I hope you are not referring to the Chivas game? The only one hustling at that game was the beer man.

Posted by: bobf | October 10, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I still don't understand the red for Tommy. I didn't see a yellow, so what exactly could he have said to get a straight red? I'm also curious what he was complaining about. The camera didn't catch the Kirk injury which took place right in front of Tommy. Was Tommy not complaining about the goal or the lack of sportsmanship, but rather maybe complaining about a no call on a foul to Kirk? Clearly, I'm just guessing and we'll probably never know since the camera didn't catch everything. I'd like to hear what Tommy has to say although I'm guessing he won't be too forth coming with much information.

Posted by: Crippled Keeper | October 10, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobf | October 10, 2008 7:56 AM

My bad - meant to write two CL games in a row.

Lots of other typos in there, too - I haven't had my coffee yet!

Posted by: Rob | October 10, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

I stopped complaining about Christian Miles- I always listen to Lamarzi on the radio. Say what you want about him, he doesn't pretend to be British.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

The problem with Miles is not that he pretends to be a Brit, rather that he pretends to be an announcer!

FSC has some good guys calling games. I like Sullivan. Bretos is alright and at least brings energy to the booth.

The two Most-Worthless-How-The-Hell-Do-They-Have-Jobs?-All-Star-Goons:

#1 Allen Hopkins (King Cliche)
#2 Christian Miles (He plays Gary to Hopkins' Ace)

Posted by: Erick | October 10, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Since we were already playing with house money, I thought it was entirely appropriate that it was a Rod Dyachenko goal off his chest. I laughed and laughed. Here's a guy who must have put 25 short passes out of bounds or straight to a Saprissa player, gave away a penalty for no reason, should have long been sent off, and is generally the least-liked player on the team...in a game against a much stronger opponent, in an intimidating stadium, in the midst of a lengthy streak without a win...and he's the one who scores? Fantastic."

Agreed. Dyachenko had moments where he looked very good and he had moments where he looked like Dyachenko last night (a late break where Rod had most of the center of the field free resulting, of course, in an incompetent light touch with his right toe straight to the feet of the Saprissa midfielder bearing down on him registered guffaws). But this was the best I have seen Rod play in quite some time. As an added bonus (1) his unsuccessful attempts to earn a red and (2) his blown kisses to Saprissa's supporters after the extra time goal were separately and cumulatively hilarious.

Posted by: BS | October 10, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

@Chest:
Thanks for the insights. I didn't see the game, and I was wondering if it really was a legit result. I guess not. I'm not surprised.

Posted by: Matte | October 10, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Come on, Goff. This is international soccer. Unless the injury is serious, I would expect United to play on every single time with all of these diving and cheating Central American teams. This isn't Montgomery County Youth Soccer Association.

Posted by: BK | October 10, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to the reserves for hanging in and grabbing a tough point on the road. Difficult field, difficult atmoshphere.

But if you didn't see the game, I would advise against feeling too encouraged. I thought it was an extremely ugly match, and DC were very fortunate to get the result.

Saprissa was hardly any better, but still out possessed the plucky DC reserves by a wide margin.

Honestly, though, it was the kind of good fortune DC hasn't seen in a while.

Unless of course, Martinez sustained a serious injury?

Posted by: JkR | October 10, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Utterly Meaninless Yanki-Yank Morning Musings:

@ Eric (my Baltimore homie): Christian Miles-annoying. Espeically with the nationality thing. He does it all of the time. But then again, that is only ONE of the many annoying things about him. Sorry but Dunseth gets on my nerves, as well. I know that he is new to the game but his delivery is too rough for me and sometimes his comments reveal that he hasn't done enough homework.

@Rob and others lauding our reserves efforts the last two CCL mathes: I'm with you. The youngins have played with a lot of heart and guts. Trying to make the most of their moments to shine.

As far as Zach goes--Nice guy. Has talent--but this just isn't working out. Does anyone really expect him to be here next year?!?! Not trying to disrespect him but he may be playing in the USL1 or a Scandanavian 2nd division next year. He needs to be rehabbed. This just isn't working out.

As far as Soehn getting sent off, I wanted to reach through the TV... OK. So we sent these kids down there. Now they won't have the DT when they go to play Cruz Azul at the DF.

I don't know about a 2nd division Scandanavian side but Soehn will be looking at USL1 or possibly USL2 employment next year or a college gig. Or is it just me? Maybe I am confused.

I sure as hell know one thing: I'm about to ask my boss for next Friday off so that I can try and take my 3 year old to next Friday's reserve match so that she can get her last bit of DC United until the spring.

I gotta make sure that she gets to rock her jersey and scarf on more time. (The little cutie is still talking about how Louis 'had a bad night' last Saturday).

Rack me-I'm out!!! [sorry my bad--that is clearly swiped from another sorry lame show led by the clueless, kinda like the DCU one that we are witnessing. I'm not really going anywhere. This is our club. Even if everything appears to be going to hell in a handbasket. It could be worse, this could be LA, right???]

Posted by: yankiboy | October 10, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

This game was a legit result! 2-2 in a notoriously difficult place to play with a United reserve team? Come on, haters, give credit to the boys who played well enough.

Doe's goal was well struck. If Kirk could have found him again in the second half when Doe was wide open at the 12, we might have been up 2-0.

Forget your lofty ideas of playing attacking soccer. Sometimes, when you get ahead on an away goal, you just have to grind it out.

And both of their goals were so ridiculously soft!!

Posted by: delantero | October 10, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Forgive me if I'm wrong here Goff, but I'm pretty sure teams are no longer supposed to put the ball out for an injury. The referee is the one who should have stopped play.

Posted by: JB Skynet | October 10, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up on Gonzalez/Martinez.

Fixed

SG

Posted by: Goff | October 10, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Look - I love FSC and what it brings into my house on a consistent basis. So cheers for putting the sport I love on the air. However, the on-air talent for play-by-play makes me think that some guy with a webcam and YouTube is more believable!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | October 10, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Could be worse. We could have Jim Rome.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 10, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

JB Skynet -- you're absolutely correct. That's why Goff wrote "a sportsmanship issue" and not "a violation of rules."

I think everyone understands that if you have a scoring opportunity, you don't stop it because a player who's not in the box is down. But if that scoring opportunity has been stopped, and the ball has been cleared (if awkwardly), to start a new attack *then* lacks class. The players all made this point in their post-game quotes.

The scoring ball was sent in by the player Kirk had been marking, btw.

Senor Goff, any news on Kirk's injury?

Posted by: Bootsy | October 10, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JB Skynet | October 10, 2008 9:20 AM

----------------------------------

Unfortunately, this is correct. ManU decided a couple years ago that they were no longer of the sporting nature and would keep the ball until the ref stopped it. FIFA thought this was a splendid idea and made it "law" to hopefully make sure "injuries" weren't just that to stop the other teams momentum.

As an aside, I only saw the first half and thought we were extremely lucky to get out with a point. Is this our first positive result in CR ever?

Posted by: AJ | October 10, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

If you really hate Miles, I have two words for you: Lionel Bienvenu. I can't tell Christian Miles from Max Bretos. In fact, I thought Bretos was the commentator, so I just ignored everything I heard. As long as they don't say "Lewis Carroll, Carroll O'Connor, or Carol Burnett," I really don't care.

On the disallowed Saprissa goal, the goal scorer was offside on the first pass to the goal-assister. So he did have an advantage. It's an arguable advantage because no-one understands the rule anyway.

Anyway, they gritted it out, dug deep, and found a way to win - to use entirely original expressions.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 10, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I would prefer Lionel to Christian Miles ever day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | October 10, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Suck it, u haters

Posted by: Rod Dyachenko | October 10, 2008 12:57 AM
-------------------------------------

No, YOU suck it, Rod Dyachenko. That goal was 99.9% Mark Burch. He hit you in the freakin' chest! Not even you could have screwed that one up.

Posted by: suomynona | October 10, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Rod scoring goal? In CONCACAF play? Just more proof he belongs in the USL and not MLS. Hey Islanders! Impact! You can have him.

Posted by: NW FC | October 10, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

That surface was awful, DC was playing against it and Saprissa last night. Over all they did well, and had they played on grass I believe they would have won 3-1 or 4-2.

The problem with a performance like that is it gives me hope, and I'll have to watch them take a hatchet to my heart on Sunday.

Posted by: Emjay613 | October 10, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

@I-270, Exit 1: "goal-assister"?

Dude, you made me cringe with that one.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 10, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

? From the video it looked like the second Saprissa goal should have been called back for offside but I can't see it for sure from the video. I believe that if a ball is played off the frame and a player who is in an offside position touches the ball that player is offside. Was there another defender goal side of the the goal scorer or just Wells? Tell me if I'm wrong, just curious.

Posted by: Jeff | October 10, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

@Joe Doc: Goal assistant? I'm making up words in an effort to become a sports commentarian.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 10, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@ AJ Unfortunately, this is correct. ManU decided a couple years ago that they were no longer of the sporting nature and would keep the ball until the ref stopped it.

My recollection is that the Special One started this when he was at Chelsea.

Posted by: Karen | October 10, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Jeff,

you can see the scorer come into the picture after the header goes off. looks like he was even with the ball when it was played in only to hit the woodwork.

Posted by: northzax | October 10, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

In the spirit of sponsorship, I propose the weekly Coyote Ugly feature now be called the "Christian Miles Coyote Ugly"!

Posted by: FC | October 10, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Goff, I think you're being uncharitable to Wells. No way can you fault him on an own goal by his defense. As for the second goal, it's hard to say from looking at the play whether Wells could have done anything differently, much less better. He made a terrific save, and tried to play it over the attacker. True, he didn't make it, but I'm not sure he could have hit it any higher or harder. In fact, the only play where I might say he might have done better was the disallowed goal -- but, since that was disallowed, I can't count it in the ratings. At least a 5, maybe a 6.

Now, as for the fair play issue -- I thought United could have obviated the issue. Not sure how it was that tried to clear it so desperately, but he could have trapped it and then played it out of bounds. My guess is because that didn't happen, Saprissa felt it was a continuing play, with no obligation to play it out themselves. I can't agree, though. It was a flagrant breach of fair play. I have seen dozens, maybe hundreds of teams play balls out under similar circumstances. It's frustrating to be sure, but if the player is truly injured play should stop.

Not that DCU deserved to win that game. They didn't. They were outplayed up and down the field, until Boyzzz and Marc Burch stepped up in stoppage time. DCU's lineup was a joke, and played like one. The tie was probably the most fortunate result I've ever seen the team get.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 10, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

As for FSC's announcers -- at least with the Carrolls, it was all in the family. I've been watching them confuse Dyachenko with Quaranta all year. Also, McTavish and Burch. Cordeiro was called Cordeido. The only sports announcer who does a worst job with names might be Dick Stockton.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 10, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

One last thought...about Dyachenko. You thought his trip was amateurish? What about all those passes to the other team. He may have scored, but that might have been the worst game I've seen him play. As for the goal, give some credit for making the run and not using his hands to play it, but Thompson was waiting to score if Dyachenko had not. Rod, I'm sure you're a great guy and I wish you luck in the USL next year -- but I don't think you've got what it takes to play first division.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 10, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Suck it, u haters

Posted by: Rod Dyachenko | October 10, 2008 12:57 AM
-------------------------------------

Posted by: suomynona | October 10, 2008 9:59 AM
----------------------------------------
I agree with you 100%, I laughed at his goal! But I say let him enjoy it..
he aint gonna be here next year, I HOPE!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 10, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Max Bretos' voice is much deeper than Miles....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 10, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

In your FACE DC "supporters"

Posted by: Rod Dyachenko | October 10, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

is united eliminated, even if they win out the rest of their group stage games?

Posted by: ccaf | October 10, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Y'know, if that really is Rod posting here, he needs to stay away from the blogs -- for his own peace of mind.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

If that really is Rod posting he ought to be spending his time more wisely like practicing kicking a ball off a wall to learn how to link short passes....Did not see the game but the chester from Rod was the product of Chef-Boy-RD being in the right place at the right time.....Bye RD and TS

Posted by: glove | October 10, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

karma is a terrible shark bite in the butt meat. All the Rod Hatred is going to kill DC United before they know it. Worse than Esky slamming home Crayton's tard clearance. Member when Perkins saved Esky's PK last year? Anyone?
You guys should really chill before he goes and wins the league MVP next year playing in Seattle.
Everyone knows you can't just give up players in the expansion draft right> I think it means we can only protect 10 players. I don't think Emilio or Gallardo count... So who do you protect?

Posted by: dadryan | October 10, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse