United: Past, Present and Future

Before reading my 1,200-word obituary on DCU's season, you should know that.....

*Luciano Emilio has a guaranteed contract in 2009 and is almost certain to return. Marcelo Gallardo, Jaime Moreno and Ben Olsen also have guaranteed deals, GM Dave Kasper confirmed. Louis Crayton, who arrived late in the season, is under contract until next summer.

*Bryan Namoff and Clyde Simms are out of contract as of Dec. 31. Negotiations will begin soon.

*United has two first-round picks (its own and Colorado's from the Christian Gomez trade), two second-round picks (its own and Houston's from the Bobby Boswell trade) and one third-rounder (its own). D.C. does not have a fourth-round pick. The draft order will not be settled until the playoffs, but based on the finish of teams that didn't advance, United will select sixth and seventh in the first round. (Seattle has the first pick in each round.)

*As for the expansion draft, it's logical to believe there is no reason to protect Emilio because he is a designated player and Seattle has already filled its DP slot with Freddie Ljungberg. However, the Sounders could arrange a trade with a third party in advance of the draft. This is what happened last winter when San Jose grabbed Brian Carroll and then shipped him to Columbus. "Luciano is a commodity," Kasper said. "It's hard to find a guy who has scored 20 goals in this league."

*Putting an end to speculation that he will pursue Honduras citizenship and represent the national team, Emilio said, "I don't have time for that too. We don't want any more games for me. I will just stay here."

By Steve Goff  |  October 28, 2008; 10:20 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Twellman Out
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Can DC United please draft some quality players this time?

Towson

Posted by: Ho_Ho_Ho | October 28, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

So, all the speculation on the BS boards about what to do about Tommy is moot unless Kasper also goes job hunting. That's OK, could be worse. Tommy has some serious work to do to make more of this team than he did. I can live with him, but any stretch next year where the players are not giving 90 minutes, I will expect him to be man enough to turn in his resignation and I expect the front office to fire him if he doesn't.

Posted by: bdwooton | October 28, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

*You won't see this quote in the early editions of the story, but Kasper told me tonight that "I feel strongly that Tommy deserves to remain as head coach."-Dave Kasper

I feel strongly he doesn't. I feel even stronger that both assistants need to get the axe.

Kaspar and Payne should take a long look in the mirror. Their shenanigans abroad over last off season cost this team dearly.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 28, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 28, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

How strong is the upcoming draft class supposed to be? Hopefully this will be a strong draft for us to build for the future.

Posted by: GoUnited | October 28, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I'll read your season wrap-up later, Goff, but I heard some crazy news that I'm not sure has been reported here.

Diego Maradona says that he's been told by Argentine Federation heads that he'll be the next coach for their national team.

Makes the possibility of President Sara Palin sound sane by comparison!

- garbaggio

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 28, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Use the MLS prestidigitation and trade draft picks for promising players whose salary will not count against the cap.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 28, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Houston 1 - Firpo 0 in the 58th.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 28, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Firpo ties it in the 87th.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 28, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

They have to be insane to keep everything the same . . .while wholesale moves made for some inconsistent play . . . some changes need to happen . . . including letting Soehn go.

I wouldn't mind losing Gallardo back to Argentina, but it's not like we did much without a quality center mid . . . who would replace him?

Guerrero is decent, but we should be able to let him go. Martinez and/or Peralta can go.

Cheaper and better options have to be out there.

Posted by: delantero | October 28, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

1-1 final. Houston stays alive for the Nov. 26th hurricane-delayed match.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 29, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

I think we should hire Thomas Rongen as a consultant for the draft. Hes drafted Convey, Quaranta, Nelsen, Namoff. All of this during his tenure. I say he was doing somthing right.

Posted by: TheJim1 | October 29, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I had a feeling you were going to say that about Soehn. You gotta admit that a lot of bad luck fell on the team this season.
I sure hope it's not the funky santeria that Martinez has brought up in the locker room.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to leaving Rod Dyachenko unprotected in the expansion draft so that we can trade our first round draft picks to get him back from Seattle.

Posted by: mgwftw | October 29, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

"Payne's shenanigans abroad"...

You mean like that bypass surgery?

Guerrero is the best left winger we've had in a long time.

Posted by: alecw81 | October 29, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

"Payne's shenanigans abroad"...

You mean like that bypass surgery?

Guerrero is the best left winger we've had in a long time.

Posted by: alecw81 | October 29, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Montreal at Atalante. I can't stay up for this. Allez Montreal and Bon nuit.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 29, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

If Emilio was left unprotected, and Seattle passed on him, I would have to say they'd be shockingly naive. You would have to question whether they're cut out for being in charge of an MLS team. There are a bunch of teams without DPs that would jump on Emilio if they could get him via trade with Seattle (knowing that we would not be willing to give him up). Unless the brain trust has someone already identified that could replace Emilio, it would be absurd to leave him unprotected.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 29, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

marcelo gallardo es el mejor jugador de la mls ......lejos
mariano.

Posted by: elgatonegro_1975 | October 29, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

marcelo gallardo es el mejor jugador de la msl.
mariano.

Posted by: elgatonegro_1975 | October 29, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

I find it disheartening that there is any chance Soehn may return. Think back before all the injuries, horrific coaching decisions each and every game caused us to lose most games. The bad decisions never abated. Clearly injuries were devastating but Tommy is in over his head.

Obviously we will keep the guaranteed players; do everything in our power to keep Simms (although I still don't think he is anthing more than an average DM and never should have been kept over Carroll) and Namoff; Ditch Martinez, Dyachenko, Vide, Kirk etc. Pick up some defensive talent in the draft and hope for the best.

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 29, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

I feel just as strongly that Kasper should not return. Exactly what has he does right? Starting the season with Wells as essentially the only keeper alone should get him fired

Posted by: congguy | October 29, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Payne deserves to go - it all starts at the top. For so many reasons, Payne needs to go . . .

Posted by: LCR-54 | October 29, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Question:

Assuming Ben does retire for next year to heal, given his comments yesterday about taking up cap space, could he return in 2010?

Or would he have to go through a "re-allocation process" were another team could get him?

Posted by: Josh8 | October 29, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Three things:

1. I think the unexpected loss of Ben Olsen cost the team at least 4-6 points and the playoffs. I can think of at least three games that Ben would have made a huge difference. I wonder how things would have turned out with him and if we would be having the same discussion?

2. I'm worried about too many changes, but also about a team that plans to rely on many of the same aging playmakers. I really hope Doe, Khumalo, and Quaranta step up offensively next year.

3. Please don't let Namoff and Simms leave!

Posted by: teamn | October 29, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Also, why is there such strong anti-Gallardo vitriol? We took on a man we knew had a history of injuries, played extremely well in late May/early June, and got hurt. Imagine what the team would not have been if he wasn't hurt. Or McTavish hadn't needed to start the year at RM.

Injuries were above all our biggest problem - who to blame them on, I don't know. The obvious choice is the trainers, but there has been long debate here about whether or not we actually have them. To me, that is the most darning evidence to this.

Payne and Kasper need to take the next chunk, as their player choices set up the team we have. Conversely, they also saw the team's weaknesses and addressed them mid-season (Crayton, Guerrero, Janicki, etc).

Soehn should have the least blame to this. While he didn't handpick the players or injure them, he did have a tendency to throw them out in unfamiliar positions (Burch-CB, Quaranta-Amid, Dyachenko). Some selections can be attributed to need, but others left me scratching my head.

With that, keep:

Kirk
Martinez

And all others unprotected

Posted by: Josh8 | October 29, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Well in, mgwftw.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 29, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Steve, nice season wrap-up.

Your story was almost as long as one of Fisch's posts...

:-)

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 29, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Beckster1, your dogging on Soehn for unnamed coaching decisions but your plan for the future is "Hope for the Best???

formerly JkR

Posted by: Late2Bass | October 29, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

@LCR-54,

Sure - but KEVIN IS PART OF THE OWNERSHIP!

For the love of goodness - the GM duties are Kasper's. Kevin Payne is the President of DC United and a minority owner. He's going nowhere. So, enough of that.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 29, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Mr. VA Blueblood,
You're loyalty to Payne is admirable but blind. I've read your posts in the past and you're one of the more intelligent posters. Which is I'm I'm so perplexed by your stand for Payne unless you're Mr. Payne or a relative.
Don't be so sure Payne isn't going anywhere just because of his role, position and ownership. Minority owners are exactly that - minority owners. Payne might be relieved of his role as president which would serve the club well. He could ovbviously keep his minority ownership but he would basically have no say in the club affairs. Again - minority owners in the MLS are exactly that; minority owners.
Granted Mr. Kasper has done a poor job but there is no accountability at the top - that starts with the President in so many ways.

Posted by: LCR-54 | October 29, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

No way you let Guerrero go, like alec said he's the best left winger we've had in a long time.

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 29, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Payne has been with the club since year 1, either as GM or President, and if you want to blame him for a bad season, you have to also give him credit for a good one. It's hard for me to believe that this snakebite of a year should trump the 12 trophies he's helped put in the case.
Everybody seems to want to try and find a scapegoat, but I don't think there is one -- blame for this season, if you have to dole it out, should probably be shared equally, among the players, Dave Kasper, Soehn and plain bad luck. Cohesion and continuity are the two things that define pretty much every successful MLS club, and this year DC had neither.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | October 29, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

If they let Ivan Guerrero slip thru their fingers they are just plain dumb.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 29, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josh8 | October 29, 2008 8:54 AM

I think most of that statement answers your own question -- almost $2 million wasted on a guy with a history of injuries. In addition, I think many would take exception to your statement that he played "extremely well". He had some good moments -- let's leave it at that.

On protecting DPs -- Goff picked up on the point I made last week that it seems Seattle won't be able to add another DP via the draft.

However, the MLS primer also says that there's no need to protect a DP, unless the contract has a no-trade clause. I have no idea why this arbitrary rule should be so, but there it is. It would be interesting to learn if either DP contract has such a clause. Emilio's contract is guaranteed, but that's a separate question.

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Nice article on former DC'ers Moose, Nolly and Adderley on winning the USL Championship and the difference between USL and MLS.

Posted by: atrn79 | October 29, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice article on former DC'ers Moose, Nolly and Adderley on winning the USL Championship and the difference between MLS and USL.

Posted by: atrn79 | October 29, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: atrn79 | October 29, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, button was stuck

Posted by: atrn79 | October 29, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2008 11:29 AM

So vitriol is an appropriate response to injury? How about for Benny?

As far as the money goes, unless you get to keep it personally if there's no Gallardo, why do you care? Most of the money has no impact on the Cap.

Posted by: Late2Bass | October 29, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Soehn made substitutions who did not affect the game more often than not. Also, it galled me that his pat answer for every loss was that the team was not working hard enough. I'd like to see him gone.

The roster, not so much. They can stay, almost to a man. Dyachenko and Kirk make too much money. But the top of our roster should be enough to strike fear into any MLS side's heart when healthy. Gallardo excited me when they announced him, and I'd hate to see him leave without at least one more season to prove his worth. Luci will score given service. Moreno, obviously, still quite effective.

Payne is actually a GREAT president. The team has prospered under his direction. More so than any other MLS side in the (short) life span of the league.

Posted by: Matte | October 29, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Keep Ivan Guerrero.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 29, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Late2Bass | October 29, 2008 12:25 PM

You're kidding, right? Aside from the fact that nearly half a million of that DOES count against the cap and could have been used to bring in other fine talent, the team's bottom line takes a huge hit -- and that does affect those of us who actually buy tickets to games and/or merchandise.

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of whether Kasper and Soehn deserve to go, we are stuck with their biggest salary-cap-eating decisions next year. We should keep them and give them a chance to redeem themselves next year, and also not set up a new pair for potential failure by being saddled with the guaranteed salary decisions made last winter. Also, I agree with the observation that Kasper has been a good influence since the start for United; it seems like last year he just got a bit carried away. And as for Soehn, the postings here have always been too harsh. He's not on the field. Nor, for the most part, are his key players. How posters who regularly lament the impact of the salary cap on roster depth can think that this season is Soehn's "fault" is beyond me.

Besides, from a purely "fan" point of view, its no fun to have all new people and personalities every year. Since we have no choice but to keep most of the player core, lets look at building depth through the draft, and lets recognize what Janicki showed us: There is substantial talent to be found in the lower leagues.

Posted by: regularfan | October 29, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse