United's Traveling Party

DCU's 18-man roster for Sunday's showdown in Columbus.....

GOALKEEPERS: Louis Crayton, Zach Wells.
DEFENDERS: Bryan Namoff, Devon McTavish, Gonzalo Martinez, Marc Burch, Gonzalo Peralta, Greg Janicki.
MIDFIELDERS: Joe Vide, Clyde Simms, Fred, Ivan Guerrero, Santino Quaranta, Thabiso Khumalo, Rod Dyachenko.
FORWARDS: Luciano Emilio, Jaime Moreno, Francis Doe.

Starting lineup predictions? (Keep in mind that Janicki is recovering from a hamstring strain and Moreno said he is 70 percent healthy, at best.)

You are also welcome to comment here on Saturday night's MLS matches.

Kansas City at New England, 7:30 (Direct Kick)
RSL at Colorado, 9:30 (HDNet)
Toronto at San Jose, 10 (Direct Kick)
Houston at Chivas USA, 10:30 (FSC)

By Steve Goff  |  October 25, 2008; 7:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Payne Penalized
Next: Matchday: United-Crew

Comments

Crayton
D - Namoff, Burch, Peralta, McTavish
M -Simms, Quaranta, Fred, Guerro
F - Emilio, Doe

Posted by: Beckster1 | October 25, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't really matter. The boys just have to come to win. Heart. Heart. Heart.

Posted by: billq1 | October 25, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone found a live feed for the KC-NE game?

Posted by: HarkesyRules | October 25, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

------------ Moreno - Emilio
----------------- Quaranta
Guerrero -------------------------- Fred
------------------ Simms
Burch - Peralta - Janicki - Namoff
----------------- Crayton

If Janicki is fit to make the trip, you've got to imagine he'll be starting. I think his game is cut out to stifle a player like Alejandro Moreno, who is very blue-collar but doesn't bring any amazing skill to the table. If Janicki is not fit to play 90 minutes, then McTavish would start.

The midfield picks itself, provided Fred is fit to start. If not, it'll be Khumalo on the right.

Up front, I know Moreno said he was only 70% fit and that he may only be able to take part as a sub, but he's the kind of guy that plays through an awful lot if there's something on the line. If he's really that badly hurt that he can only play as a sub, Doe is the obvious choice to partner Emilio.

Speaking from Emilio, I have this hunch that his play is going to be the key. I'm not sure what it is. Obviously he's very important to us, but I think his contribution tomorrow night is going to be make-or-break.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 25, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

KC-NE is on DirectKick.

KC just scored on a PK. NE defender sent off for denying obvious goal scoring opportunity. No matter how much crybaby Feldman wants to whine about the red card it sure looked like the correct call.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 25, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

another red card for NE. Khano Smith wipes out Herculez right on the sideline.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 25, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

The first red card on Badilla was pretty soft, but not entirely inconceivable. The second card, though, was entirely merited. I know Smith and all the Revs wanted revenge on Gomez after Ralston's broken leg (even though it really didn't look like that dirty a tackle from Gomez), but how stupid do you have to be to go in two-footed on a guy you've obviously been targeting all night long, in a game that means absolutely nothing to you, on the eve of the playoffs? Now the Revs will have to play over a full half with just 9 men, all regulars, with only a 5 day break before their playoff opener.

Nicol stopped Smith to tell him something as he headed to the locker room, and Smith is probably lucky he didn't just choke him out. Absolutely unforgivable mistake from Smith.

Combined with the Revs' poor form and the injury to Ralston, these suspended players give Chicago the easiest path to the next round of any playoff team. I know the Revs step up their game in the playoffs, but they usually have some positive momentum coming in. This year, they've got nothing at all going for them.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 25, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone actually get HDnet? I'm mad that's the only other game worth watching now that NE is down by 2 goals and 2 player and neither Direct Kick or MLSNet is showing the RSL v Crapids game.

DC needs to manage the first 60 mins of the game with our healthest players/lineup and then sub in our best injuried players(Moreno, Fred?, ect.) to finish/win.

GO DCU

Posted by: niknakdcu | October 25, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

------------Doe-----------Emilio---------
-----------------Khumalo-----------------
---Guerrero-------------------Quaranta---
------------------Simms------------------
---Burch---McTavish---Janicki---Namoff---
-----------------Crayton-----------------

If things are going badly, bring Moreno in at halftime. If things are looking good, bring him in at about the 60th minute.

Vamos United!

Posted by: Asher | October 25, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Col v RSL just started. Both teams just had excellent chances in the first 8 minutes.

Posted by: owendylan | October 25, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I get HDNet, but I'm waiting for the end of the Caps game then starting Colorado-RSL from the beginning. I suppose that means I better not check back here until it's over.

On Revs-Wizards:

Columbus is going to have a real fight on their hands in the first round. Kansas City doesn't do anything particularly well in terms of attacking play, but they have no true weak spots and they fight for everything. I don't expect many goals in that series, but there should be plenty of drama and tension.

New England, on the other hand, looks like a boxer that made it back to his stool but is being asked if he wants to continue or not. Poor play, no momentum, 3 first-choice players out (well, I guess it's only 2, since if Ralston was fit they'd only play 3 in the back and Badilla would be out), short rest after playing with 9 men...no one goes into this year's playoffs with more clouds over them than the Revs.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 25, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Colorado up 1-0 on a Conor Casey goal in the 19th. really nice goal, especially the pass to set him up.

Posted by: owendylan | October 25, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

This is what I want:

-------------Crayton-------------
Namoff--Peralta--Janicki--MacTavish
Quaranta---Vide---Simms---Guerrero
--------Doe---------Emilio--------
We've got Fred, Boyzzz and Jaime to bring on. I'm assuming Fred still isn't 100%

Posted by: GoUnited | October 25, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

what about
-----------Crayton---------------\
Namoff--Peralta--Janicki--Guerrero

Quaranta--Vide--Simms--Boyzz

--------Doe--Emilio

With Fred, Jaime, and Martinez or Burch coming in late.
I hope at that point we will be up by 2 and it won't matter.

Formerly dc in asheville

Posted by: evanskr521 | October 25, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

RSL tied it in the 90th on a goal by Mosyssian (sp?) after Andy Williams' shot was tipped aside by Condoul. Mosyssian was denied a PK earlier when Ihemelu was all over him. Beckerman looked awful for the whole game. I don't know why Kreis left him in for the full 90. Then again, many of RSL's passes were giveaways for most of the match.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 25, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Chivas 0 - Houston 0 in the 46th.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 25, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Jaqua taken out by Kennedy in the box. Red for the Chivas GK.

Thornton in cold for Chivas.

DeRosario hammers it low and in.

1-0 Dynamo Houston

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 25, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

wow. Terrible Terry Vaughn strikes with a terrible PK and send off against Chivas. Actually I think the AR is the one who called it. Jacqua fell over Keenedy. He basically tripped himself. Ridiculous decision.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 25, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

DeRo took a shot that Thornton blocked. Jaqua was in an offside position when DeRo shot and came in to clean up, but was called offside.

Discuss :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 25, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Crayton,

Namoff, McTBone, Peralta, Burch,

Khumalo, Quaranta, Simms, Guerrero,

Francis Doe, Luciano Emilio,

""With Fred, Jaime, and Martinez or Burch coming in late. I hope at that point we will be up by 2 and it won't matter.""

Can't see why anyone would leave Khumalo on the bench, at this point. The guy brings an element we sorely need.

Posted by: delantero | October 26, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | October 26, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Chivas ties it in an ugly way in the 90th. Defender tries to cut off a cross but sends it to goal. Pnstad reacts well to slap it away, but it goes to the post and somehow rolls or is pushed in.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 26, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

I think it should have been a PK, but a red is harsh. I understand why it was given though. Jaqua can dribble it into the goal if he doesn't get tripped up by Kennedy. Yes, there was no contact but Jaqua tried to avoid Kennedy by hopping over him but fell down as a result.

The crazy decision tonight was the non-PK that should have been called against Ihemelu

Posted by: GoUnited | October 26, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing we'll see this:

-------------Crayton---------------
Namoff---Peralta-McTavish-----Burch
--------------Simms----------------
Fred------------------------Guerrero
------------Quaranta---------------
--------Doe---------Emilio---------

Khumalo will come on for Fred or Emilio at some point.
Moreno for Quaranta.

If we're actually winning the match around minute 60, switch to a 5-4-1

----------------Crayton------------------
Namoff--Martinez-Peralta-McTavish--Burch
----Thompson--Simms--Vide--Guerrero------
------------------Doe--------------------

That'd be Thompson for Fred.
Martinez for Emilio.
Vide for Quaranta.

Pretty much in that order as well.

Posted by: alecw81 | October 26, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Khano Smith is such a P.O.S.

Posted by: dculoyal | October 26, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

AlecW81:

We may see a 541, but if it's with 30 minutes left, I'd be pretty unhappy. Dropping off that much that soon is a real invitation for the other team to pin you in, and as we've seen all season, we can't defend under high pressure for long periods. I'm more of the opinion that you save 5 man backlines for, at the absolute maximum, the last 10 minutes (unless you're converting a 352 to a 532, which isn't that much of a tweak).

***

On Colorado-RSL:

Odd game. RSL is played off the field in the first half, but stays within 1. They then start the 2nd half with the same lack of enthusiasm, which Colorado bizarrely starts to mimic. This game got really uninteresting, like a mid-season Toronto-San Jose match would be. RSL started to get back into it within the last 20 minutes, but really I still feel that they're very lucky to have gotten the draw. On the other hand, over the course of the season, I think they're a much better team than Colorado, and that they just suffered from nerves and an opponent that was well-prepared for them tonight. Kreis has revealed that, when his opposing number sends out a gameplan that neutralizes RSL's strengths or preys on their weaknesses, he gets a bit lost.

I think the playoff field is stronger with RSL in, but only if it's the RSL that played most of the season. The one that showed up tonight will get thrashed by Chivas. Olave and Borchers looked like 2 guys playing pickup in the park rather than one of MLS's top center back duos. Beckerman had possibly his worst game of the season, Morales was stifled, and they didn't get Mathis (who was actually showing some decent ideas) the ball enough. Better to be lucky than good, I guess.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 26, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

dadryan, no fair -- I posted that link during the last offside discussion. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 26, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

-------------Crayton---------------
Namoff---Peralta-Janicki-----Martinez
--------------Simms----------------
Fred------------------------Guerrero
------------Moreno---------------
--------Doe---------Emilio---------

Posted by: castroviejo | October 26, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | October 26, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

WATCHING PARTY - where will the crowd be? Momo's, Pour House, Kitty O'Sheas?

Posted by: ElPichichi | October 26, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

dadryan, no fair -- I posted that link during the last offside discussion. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 26, 2008 1:45 AM

My bad, I think I checked myself out of that discussion early as it was driving me crazy. Sorry to bite your style. :-)

Posted by: DadRyan | October 26, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Allez DC!

We are in control of our own destiny...

lets make the banner next to the blog happen!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 26, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Ljuneberg to Seattle? Apparently hes DP Worthy.

Posted by: TheJim1 | October 26, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

It is nice to see that theyres not as many injuries.

Posted by: TheJim1 | October 26, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

P'mouth 1 - Fulham 1. Dempsey ties it in the 67th on a sweet near post flick from a cross.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 26, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Ljuneberg to Seattle? Apparently hes DP Worthy.

Posted by: TheJim1 | October 26, 2008 2:07 PM
Dude, where you been?ONly the finest DP underwear models will do on the west coast don't ya know!
Just think how many new female fans United would get if they signed one...
Have they confirmed that he's actually signed yet? If he's signed they supposedly will already have their "starting 11".

Posted by: DadRyan | October 26, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse