U.S. Roster Set for T&T

With Goff on a plane to Houston for tonight's game, here's a glimpse at Coach Bob Bradley's 18-man roster for Wednesday's qualifier at Trinidad & Tobago.

Goalkeepers: Troy Perkins, Brad Guzan.

Defenders: Jonathan Bornstein, Danny Califf, Frankie Hejduk, Michael Orozco, Heath Pearce, Marvell Wynne.

Midfielders: Freddy Adu, DaMarcus Beasley, Maurice Edu, Sacha Kljestan, Pablo Mastroeni, Danny Szetela, Jose Francisco Torres.

Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Charlie Davies, Robbie Rogers.

Here are the players released back to their teams after last night's win over Cuba: Carlos Bocanegra, Michael Bradley, Steve Cherundolo, Brian Ching, Jay DeMerit, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Tim Howard and Oguchi Onyewu.

Should Perkins get the start in goal?

UPDATE WITH KENNY COOPER DECLINING AN INVITATION:

"I feel so fortunate and honored to have been invited to join up with the U.S. Men's National team in Trinidad and Tobago. I made the difficult decision not to report because I had picked up a virus and have been playing with a sprained ankle. Considering the importance of my club's game versus Real Salt Lake this week, and that the National Team has already clinched a berth in the next round of qualifying, I felt it was the right thing to do to stay in Dallas and make sure I get well, and hopefully there will be other opportunities down the line."

By Greg Manifold  |  October 12, 2008; 3:09 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Kickaround
Next: Matchnight: United-Dynamo

Comments

No chane Robo Bob starts our boy Perkins over Guzan, eventhough Guzan has been riding pine for a while now while Troy is game ready.

Still no Coop? poor guy LOL

Posted by: Thora | October 12, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if he will start, but I'm pretty excited about the selections. Think it will be a good test for the players.

And for all the Coop lovers out there (I like him personally) Dallas has a game on the 14th. So please remember that before you start whinning about him not being selected.

Posted by: Krista | October 12, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I would start Guzan. He's the clear No. 2, has the intl experience and could use a little action. Would love to see Orozco at left back over Pearce.

Posted by: Troy | October 12, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Greg. Why did Steve have to tease us with Cooper last night? I was actually beginning to look forward to Cooper that time.

Posted by: sitruc | October 12, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

With that roster, I wonder if Maurice Edu will start at CB.

Posted by: Mike | October 12, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Odd mix of folks, but I guess from that lineup I'd like/expect to see

Guzan
Hejduk-Califf-Edu-Pearce
Pablo-Kljestan
Szetela-Torres-Beasley
Jozy

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

guzan

Posted by: JSF | October 12, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

-----------Guzan-----------
Hejduk-Orozco-Califf-Pearce
-------Mastro---Edu--------
---Sacha---Adu---Beasley---
---------Altidore----------

Posted by: Ryan | October 12, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

No, Perkins will not start.
It is just nice to be in camp and learn at this point.
Guzan is clear #2 and needs road seasoning.

Posted by: marksman | October 12, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Start Guzan, but I think giving Perkins some minutes would be good. We have already qualified, might as well try other players at this point.

Posted by: kris | October 12, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Good lord, Anonymous. "We only saw Torres briefly last night, but I think the pressure is now on Freddy for the title of "Best 19-year-old left-footed attacking midfielder" on the team." First of all, Torres is 20. Second, Freddy did great in his 15 minutes.

Is it possible for people to talk up other promising youngsters without taking cheap shots at Freddy?

Posted by: Reston, Va. | October 12, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Boy...tough days at center back. This would have been such a great opportunity for DeMerit...really unfortunate that he got injured.

Think you gotta start Guzan -he needs the playing time. I'm sure Bradley has to have better relations with the Villa manager than he does with Perkin's manager and I'm sure there is an agreement to give Guzan playing time.

Posted by: Beckster | October 12, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Is Reis completely out of the national team picture, or was this mostly because of MLS needs? If nothing else, I'd like to see him start against Guatemala next month. Point him towards Ruiz and say "Alecko him."

Posted by: Fairfax | October 12, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Guzan should start. We need him to be ready to go if something happens, and chilling on the bench at Aston Villa isn't helping.

With that squad, we can be sure that Califf will be getting a start at CB, alongside either Edu or Orozco (in his more natural position). I've got a hunch it'll be Edu. Wynne should absolutely start at right back, while I think Bradley should keep Pearce in on the left. He's not getting games at Hansa Rostock, so he needs both the match practice and the opportunity to use the qualifiers as a shop window to get a transfer somewhere that he'll be a regular.

The group headed to Trinidad is really short on right-sided midfielders. I wonder if Bradley is considering a 433, with Kljestan or Adu playing ahead of Mastroeni and Szetela. Davies has been used as a winger rather than as a forward before by Nowak, so that could be how they see him (something I disagree with).

The lineup I think they're looking at is this:

-------------- Altidore
Rogers -------------------- Davies
------------- Kljestan
------ Szetela - Mastroeni
Pearce - Edu - Califf - Wynne
--------------- Guzan

I can't say I disagree given the players called in, but I really think we should have someone that can actually play right midfield and try Davies and Altidore as a traditional forward pairing. Maybe Bradley will make like Preki and slide Kljestan out there, keep Rogers on the left, and go 442.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 12, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I would have liked to have seen Bradley stay, I want to see all the younger guys together more often.

Posted by: Wade | October 12, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Guzan
Wynne-Califf-Orozco-Bornstein
------Edu------Kljestan-----
Torres----Adu----Beasley
----------Jozy--------------

Why bring all the young guys in just to play Hejduk and Mastro? I think they are there for cover and just to have experienced guys in camp.

Torres got his feet wet, so he'll at least play 45 if he doesn't start, but I think he'll be out there.

Posted by: wmsiii | October 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

What about this for a line up?

-----------Guzan
Wynne----Califf----Orozco----Beasley

----------------Edu

Szetela----------Adu---------Torres

--------Davies----------Altidore

Posted by: Southernblue | October 12, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wade | October 12, 2008 5:04 PM

Bradley is suspended for the t&t match due to yellow cards. All I ask is Altidore starts up top and the Edu gets a run in the midfield where he belongs. My belief is Edu may be the best midfielder in our bunch. He just needs games and experience.

Vamos united, gonna be watching on MLStv so dont blow it

Posted by: Living in Central New York | October 12, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

paging Goff - are you in the building?

Posted by: JSF | October 12, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

DC United line-up in. Who the heck is Greg Janicki and what is wrong with Martinez? Hold on tight.

Posted by: beckster | October 12, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Janicki is one of the new guys the hired in the summer to bolster the club. Tall defender.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 12, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

they*

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 12, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Yes, he should get the call.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey,

Am I the only one that doesn't like the inclusion of Hejduk? With Steve Cherundolo as the solid starter why would you keep bringing in an older back up? I think it's important to give Wynne some valuable experience and caps. He is explosive, exciting, an an up and coming player.

Also. I would really like to see Charlie Davies in action. I know everyone is in love Kenny Cooper but he is in a playoff race. I would like to see a speedy counterpart paired up there with Altidore. I guess we'll have to see what the ULTRAULTRA-conservative Bob Bradley will do.

Goff any chance of an US game here in the new Rio Tinto Stadium?

Posted by: Josh in SLC | October 12, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Kooper tells Bradley to shove it? LOL
I love it, I can't blame the guy. He's been red hot in the league and Bradley waits til now to call him up when he was calling and starting bums like EJ?

He knows Bradley doesn't believe in him as a player, why waste his time when he knows he wont get a fair look. Robo Bob already has his mind set on what type of player Coop is, and it's not the Robo Bob type.

Posted by: Thora | October 12, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Wade, Michael Bradley is suspended due to yellow card accumulation.

Posted by: Jamie Z. | October 12, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

thora, your post is idiotic.

Posted by: fig | October 12, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I gotta agree with fig...

Hopefully, Cooper will be well soon and he gets more chances. Now that that is settled, what about those other players we've been wanting to hear about?

Posted by: sitruc | October 12, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but there are too many Hejduk haters. I don't know if anyone remembers, but he did start in the 2002 WC and was excellent as LB. He is not the best technical player and can be a little out of control. However I would start him over Cherundolo anyday. I still think it would be best to see Wynne in the game against T&T because he needs to get some experience. I love how everyone calls Bradley ultra conservative. It is a joke. Did Bruce Arena ever invite any Mexican Americans to camp? Bradely is wise because there are many Mexican Americans that can really play in this country and we need the fan base. Torres and Orozco are a good start. I am glad Bradley has tapped that resource.

Posted by: Hejduk haters | October 12, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Trinidad is goin to win this one. we have a lot of World Cup players back in the squad.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I thought we'd seen the end of the Bornstein joke. This is like McCain continuing to kid around with this Palin thing.

Posted by: c-hawk | October 13, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse