USA National Team Update

The USA roster for the Cuba qualifier at RFK on Oct. 11 will not be released today, after all. From what I understand, there are just too many issues with player status at the moment. Look for the full list, with as many as 23 players, to be announced Sunday. I am also hearing that the roster will include at least one surprise. (Speculate away!) This initial roster is for the Cuba game only, and assuming the Americans win to clinch a final-round berth, several changes will be made before the Oct. 15 game at Trinidad and Tobago.

Besides the veterans responsible for three wins in three group matches who undoubtedly will be recalled, who else do you think we will see on the roster?

By Steve Goff  |  October 2, 2008; 1:16 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Torres Commits to USA

Comments

We'd all be surprised if Eddie Johnson wasn't on it...

Posted by: JkR | October 2, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the "one surprise" will be the absence of Eddie Johnson.

Or even better, the inclusion of Neven Subotic, as proof that he has chosen to represent the USA.

Posted by: SSMD | October 2, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

rossi?

i kid...

Posted by: Don | October 2, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

No Eddie Johnson would be nice. But a "significant" surprise would be having Subotic or Rossi on the roster. Since I feel like a d-bag for typing that suggestion, I'll also offer that an "extra-super-significant" surprise would be Ben Olsen.

Lower expectations lead me to mentally prepare for Conor Casey.

Posted by: DWE4 | October 2, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Could the MLS schedule offer any clues to this surprise? I'd think that teams on the playoff bubble wouldn't want to release their national team stars if they would miss a critical game. So if any MLS team has the week off, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of their guys called up.

Posted by: jrnail23 | October 2, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Charles Renken anyone? Kenny Cooper finally?

Posted by: Brian | October 2, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I'd say the surprise will be Edson Buddle or some other MLS player. But I'll take the 1000000/1 odds that the call up is Charles Renken.

Posted by: Chuck | October 2, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Jeremiah White, Aalborg.

If not him, I would assume it would be one of the lesser known players in Europe.

Maybe Charlie Davies? That wouldn't really be a surprise, considering how well he's been doing recently.

How about not the decision not to bring in Michael Bradley?

Or perhaps we could cap Matt Cassel, out of Maryland? hahahahaa. Million to 1 odds.

Posted by: Mo | October 2, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

We just naturalized Messi!

Posted by: Matte | October 2, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I think you could be right with Either White or Davies, but I think it may some Yank playing in Mexico.

Posted by: Chuck | October 2, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

McBride is McBack!

Posted by: RA | October 2, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready to come out of retirement. I have a lot of free time to get myself into playing shape.

Posted by: Alexi Lalas | October 2, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Subotic?

Posted by: Matt | October 2, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

No Bradley JR on the roster.

No, wait, the world would end. Forget that.

Posted by: Hacksaw | October 2, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Gaetjens?

Posted by: apqjr | October 2, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

The surprise could be Vedad Ibišević from Hoffenheim/St. Louis.

Posted by: USA_soccer | October 2, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Vedad never got his citizenship.

Posted by: TK | October 2, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Surprise: Freddy Adu!! Buy your tickets now...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 2, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I would not be a surprise.

Posted by: Hope Solo | October 2, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Freddy Adu? That would be kind of suprising and it would kind of make sense.

Posted by: stairs | October 2, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Surprise = Chad Marshall?

Posted by: Sam | October 2, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The game last night at RFK was a good one. The guys on the pitch, to a man, played their hearts out. We were unlucky with the deflected shot that went in. If not for that we would have had a draw. I would like them all to know a fan in the stands appreciated them.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 2, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Davies?

Posted by: Steve | October 2, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Marshall or Rogers would be plausible...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 2, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

My money is on either Davies, Cooper, or Convey surprise.

But I don't have a lot of money to begin with so it's an easy bet . .

Posted by: delantero | October 2, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Olsen Fairwell Game?

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | October 2, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Josh Gros.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 2, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

The surprise is that it won't be the Euro contingent. Or the MLS contingent. It will be the USL contingent.

Posted by: RK | October 2, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Too early for Subotic imo.

Surprise is Charlie Davis, Cooper, or Altidore.

Posted by: strago | October 2, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis?

Now that would be a suprise.

Posted by: whynot | October 2, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Usain Bolt - adds speed up front; not yet capped by Jamaica....

Posted by: 22206 | October 2, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

If its Rossi, I will eat my shorts. The kid wants to play for Italy so bad. I don't blame him. Who would want to be paired up with Eddie Johnson on the US national team? I wouldn't. He has a realistic chance of winning a World Cup with Italy, not the US sadly.

Posted by: therealfootball | October 2, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Gaetjens?

Posted by: apqjr | October 2, 2008 1:55 PM
================

Surprise? That would be miraculous.

Everyone remember to bring extra overcoats and hats so that we can whisk the Cuban team away at the end of the match, a la Victory.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 2, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

If it's Rossi or Subotic, I'll dance a jig.

Posted by: Steve | October 2, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

sal zizzo maybe? otherwise cooper or casey sounds right.

Posted by: anon | October 2, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Rossi is no longer eligible to represent the United States.

My guess for the surprise inclusion is Jose Francisco Torres from Pachuca.

Posted by: Adam R. | October 2, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

#35 Ryan,the monster that is in my DCU squad on my XBox?...:-)

Posted by: dadryan | October 2, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I'll go with Torres as well.

Posted by: Fussballman 7 | October 2, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

my guess on the surprise player is Kasey Keller

Posted by: mike | October 2, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Rossi cannot play for the US anymore. So it's clearly not him.

The two big future prospects are Torres and Subotic. I doubt its Torres, to young, and not enough experience. It's likely not Subotic.

It's probably someone like Jeremiah White.

Posted by: strago | October 2, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

seriously now...chad ocho cinco is getting called up

Posted by: Don | October 2, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Ben Olsen.

Posted by: RK | October 2, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Coach - I am ready to show all my "haters" that I CAN deliver a professional foul when it is absolutely NOT necessary...besides its my home pitch. C'mon, Coach Tommy lets me ;)

Posted by: Rod D. | October 2, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

What about Quaranta?

a long-shot but since were firing wildly into the night why not add that name to the list

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Ante Razov! Just kidding

Posted by: Amit | October 2, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

McCain. No wait... Palin.

Posted by: Politico | October 2, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Ross Perot!!!

Posted by: Politico | October 2, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko!!! I knew the kid would be there someday!!!

Posted by: Politico | October 2, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Jemal Johnson! Jay Denny! Frank Simek with a broken ankle! Roy Wegerle! David Regis! My cat! Who the heck knows. For all we know, it could be Bill Bradley, former politician. Since it's BOB Bradley putting out the roster, it's safe to say none of us will LIKE the surprise.

Posted by: c-hawk | October 2, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

It's obviously me. >_>

Posted by: christiannn | October 2, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Jeff | October 2, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Michael Ricketts

Posted by: Me | October 2, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Is there any truth to a Bolivia-El Salvador friendly anytime soon?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | October 2, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

It's Captain Jack Sparrow

Posted by: John D. | October 2, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

The glorious and triumphant return of John O'Brien...

Posted by: AllNats | October 2, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Just so nobody beats me to it -- Edson Buddle, Chris Rolfe, Wil Hesmer, Joe Cannon, Brad Davis. Troy Perkins and Clarence Goodson (Alexandria native).

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 2, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Preki...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

ABMOD returns to RFK to wreak havoc on the Cuban attack(if that's what you want to call it)

Question with presales showing 15k or so where the heck can I get a better ticket price than screaming Eagles $40 per ticket or Ticket Rapist I mean Master at $38 plus 8.80 service charge? Help appreciated as I'd like my daughter to see her first USMNT game.

Posted by: glove | October 2, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Can Beckham play for the US now?

Posted by: dadryan's wife | October 2, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Mike Burns.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 2, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

It's Buddle.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys we're talking about Bob Bradley here. A surprise by Bradley's standards is somebody not that surprising. While it would be nice to see Subotic or Torres my guess is its Jozy Altidore, Freddy Adu, or Kenny Cooper. I'm personally rooting for the surprise to be the exclusion of Eddie Johnson, Franky Hejduk, Eddie Lewis and other old people that aren't going to help the US roster in the future.

Posted by: Josh | October 2, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

1. Buddle
2. Altidore
3. Cooper
4. Marshall
5. Torres
6. Rolfe

Posted by: coach bradley | October 2, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna go with Brad Davis being on the roster

Posted by: GoUnited | October 2, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

The surprise is me. I'm the solution to the LB problem. Someone from the federation was watched me over the last 3-4 months tear up my adult competitive league with solid, if not spectacular defense down the flanks. I have speed, age (26), never met a physical challenge I didn't like, and freely move into the attack even chipping in with 4 goals in 12 games thus far. Don't worry about experience I'm a few years removed from playing collegiately! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Seriously though I'm hoping for Cooper or Subotic but I'm not holding my breath on latter name. Subotic, despite the German interest, still seems undecided at this point.

Posted by: Michael Vann | October 2, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Who ever it is BB is not doing a good job. If i was coaching we would have won the COPA america with ADU and altidore and we would be ranked number 1 by FIFA. Sheesh

Posted by: Steve Sampson | October 2, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen Marvell Wynne but that I believe Bradley would look at him as a surprise call-up.

If we're through to the next round, there's absolutely no reason to force Cherundolo to cross the Atlantic, or to call up known-quantity Hejduk. I believe Bradley sees Wynne as the long-term starter, and will give him the chance to play the moment the pressure is off. Ideally, he can play in a game where the opponent is desperate for the points, so that he still gets the big-game experience.

I also think Freddy will get a call. There's an outside shot at Rogers getting called in to save Beasley the long flight. Altidore, after impressing for a half for Villarreal against Depor, seems ensconced behind Nihat, Rossi, and Llorente, and probably Franco as well. He's had time to acclimate, so it's time to bring him in.

Orozco should be left out, since he's not really a left back and is not amongst our top center backs at this point. I mean, even if you leave out Onyewu (who just helped Standard knock off Everton in the UEFA Europa League of European Soccer Euro Tournament of Europe) and Bocanegra, there are too many viable candidates ahead of him. Conrad, Parkhurst, Marshall, DeMerit, and maybe even the resurgent Gibbs (his last game probably hurt that), Borchers (as long as Rimando's not behind him, he won't want to run into his keeper). And that's without putting much thought into the list.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 2, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't get all of this speculation about players in Europe, Mexico or the USL. It's obviously the Wake Forest Senior forward, Marcus Tracy.

Posted by: sitruc | October 2, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Kasey Keller makes sense. Tim is involved in league play.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 2, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

It is either reincarnated jack the ripper or mister burns from the simpsons.

Posted by: pigman sweet | October 2, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Surprise? hmmmmm......isn't it obvious

GOFFINHO!

Posted by: Thora | October 2, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Chest,

Usually I agree with what you have to say, but I must disagree with Wynne being the "surprise". Bradley called him up for the last two, and I assume he will do so again, with the idea of getting him time against T&T, if not Cuba. I agree that he is being groomed for the future, but disagree he is the surprise. In all likelihood, I think it is someone like Subotic or Torres with multiple options for national play, possibly a Mexican-American none of us are familiar with.

Posted by: AJ | October 2, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Clubs in Europe will be standing on their heads to shove $$$ at me after I get my chance. The money they gave Jozy gonna look like chump change.

Posted by: Edson | October 2, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

My ultimate speculation is that it will be John Harkes "Captain for life". Maybe a DC player will finally get recognized. Hopefully Santino Quaranta or Greg Janicki, maybe Marc Burch, Bryan Namoff, Clyde the glide Simms.

Posted by: The Jim | October 2, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure I have as good a shot of getting called up as Janicki.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 2, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

If it was a DCU player, I would rather it be Joe Vide really and truly. If anyone else, Buddle and Freddy Adu.

Posted by: person | October 3, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: person | October 3, 2008 8:57 AM
...........................................

It is not a DCU player, nor Buddle, nor Adu, as Goff revealed over 13 hours ago.

Posted by: The Jeff | October 3, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

HEY STEVE & POST

Might help if the banner as has the right date! The one at the top of the Insider is correct but the pop-up says Sat Oct 10!

Posted by: DCB23 | October 3, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse