USA Roster Changes

Injuries have prompted USA Coach Bob Bradley to make two changes to his roster for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier at T&T:

Pablo Mastroeni is out, Brian Carroll is in.

Robbie Rogers is out, Chris Rolfe is in.

The details are here.

By Steve Goff  |  October 13, 2008; 9:59 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A True Loss for DCU
Next: The Good, the Bad, the Coyote Ugly

Comments

Yay for Brian Carroll! I'm glad he's been called up again.

Posted by: cha | October 13, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope that chris Rolfe does not start, but cheers for Carroll.

Posted by: bob | October 13, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh Come on!!! Chris Rolfe, really? really? thats pathetic.

Posted by: Carlos | October 13, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

He is just testing the market, let him be.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 13, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

OK, my sentiments are the opposite of other posters here. Chris Rolfe, yes, Brian Carroll? No. Rolfe's been played out of position for a season and a half in Chicago; were he up top where he should be instead of on the wing he'd have shown much more over the past year and a half (not to mention he's had injury trouble). He had an amazing run and spin shot in the Columbus game that rivaled his explosive "never say die" goal from a couple weeks ago. As a wing mid he leaves much to be desired, but he's very dangerous as a recessed forward in the center of the park. He's no target man, but from 15 - 40 yards out with a ball he can play with his feet, he can be quite lethal. Believe me, I've been comparing him to Barrett for far too long to know what a nonlethal striker looks like.

Don't worry though, as the fifth choice forward for this match (Altidore, Davies, Cooper, Rogers), he certainly won't start and will frankly be lucky to see any playing time.

Posted by: Modibo | October 13, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

" As a wing mid he leaves much to be desired, but he's very dangerous as a recessed forward in the center of the park. He's no target man, but from 15 - 40 yards out with a ball he can play with his feet, he can be quite lethal."
--------------------------
I agree with you there, I'd be happy to see him actually get some time in one of the games.
He's one of those DCU killers that you have to respect, but you gotta hate at the same time.
I mean he was the dagger in the heart last year...
Rather have a beer with him than Barrett any day.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

the anon above was me...Go Brian Carroll too!
Thanks for some less political posts this evening Goff:-)

Posted by: dadryan | October 13, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Why no Mapp or Thorrington? Thorrington has been on fire this season. Carroll???

Posted by: FarAway_Fred | October 13, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Speaking on behalf of DC United -- is it possible Bradley could find room for Rogers and Carroll?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 14, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

While he's at it, could he call up some of the Revs best players for practice this week?

And add Schelotto to the roster against T&T?

Posted by: FIsch Fry | October 14, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Maybe send Guzan back to England and put Hesmer in goal?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 14, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

FarAway_Fred:

Mapp barely deserves to start in Chicago over Mike Banner. He should be nowhere near a national team call up. I would be more upset at him being called in than if Altidore had been left out for Eddie Johnson again. Thorrington, I'd agree with. He's been strong every time I've seen him, which is a lot.

Fisch Fry:

I like where your head's at. Where's the call for Chad Marshall and everyone's favorite national team striker Taylor Twellman?

On Rolfe:

Good pick if he's going to play as a forward, but the roster and the Carroll selection point to a 433, which means Rolfe playing out wide. I hope I'm wrong, because if he's clearly being wasted in MLS, how is he going to look at the international level?

On Carroll:

I've been maintaining that Carroll only has success in a 5 man midfield, but that left out the 433. The key for BC is that he has another player holding who does a lot more of the scratching and clawing. In the 442s he's had a chance to play in, he's never gotten that (since he's always been paired with an attacking midfielder). In a 352, a 451, and a 433, he'll get that central partner to do the real trench work and allow him to play the less physical, more cerebral game he's more used to.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 14, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Are we still making important choices based on whom we'd rather drink a beer with?

Isn't it time we chose the best -- the most talented?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 14, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

4-2-3-1
-----------guzan--
Hey dude, Calif, Orozco, Pearce
------Edu------Sascha

Sztela------Adu---Beasley

----------jose

Counter will be on all day.
I'd like to see a more attacking play, but away in a wcq not likely.
Subs:
Davies (CF), Torres(LM), Wynne(RB)

Posted by: Dips since 78 | October 14, 2008 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Since 4 of our 18 won't see the pitch - it makes absolutely no difference who the 4 bench warmers are. Carroll and Rolfe simply take the place of designated spectators Rogers and Mastroeni. Although why Bob would bother to lift the national team hopes of these two pedestrian oafs is beyond me.

Posted by: Hmmm | October 14, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Whether Carroll dresses or not, it is an honor and reflects how well he has done this year. Given this, along with Boswell's success, one certainly wonders if we would be scratching ad clawing for a playoff spot had we kept Brian, Bobby and Christian.

Posted by: Beckster | October 14, 2008 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it time we chose the best -- the most talented?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 14, 2008 1:31 AM
______________________________________
Hey! Don't underestimate drinking beer - drinking beer's important.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | October 14, 2008 7:00 AM | Report abuse

How many goals does Cooper have to score before he is given a chance?

He has 18 goals and 3 assists and is 2nd in MLS.

Not to mention he doesn't have the support of one of the highest paid athletes in the world like Donovan does.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 14, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

I'll answer my own question...

"Kenny Cooper, star striker of FC Dallas had to decline Bob Bradley's invite to play for the US Men's National Team this week, citing a lingering ankle injury"

Posted by: Southeasterner (again) | October 14, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Agreed with the above post. Chad Marshall deserves a call, he has been excellent all year.

Posted by: GLD123 | October 14, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

The Cooper absence was explained in one of my postings two days ago.

Posted by: Goff | October 14, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

That "Hey Dude" nickname cracks me up everytime. Thanks, Dips since 78.

A toast to Brian Carroll. And I agree with you, Chest. I watched Carroll grow up as a player, and being the enforcer was never his strength. Technically strong, good vision, he complements an assertive attacking midfielder. He can dig in when he needs to, but that shouldn't be his main focus.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 14, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

..."Although why Bob would bother to lift the national team hopes of these two pedestrian oafs is beyond me."

Posted by: Hmmm | October 14, 2008 6:44 AM

Post your soccer resume here, Hmmm. Then, based on that, we can discern if you have the credentials to call Rolfe and Carroll "pedestrian oafs."

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 14, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc, where is your resume? Honestly!

This is a blog, where vitriol, propaganda, stupidity and insight are all on display regardless of the qualification of the poster.

It is supremely annoying when someone pulls the 'Well-What-Did-You-Do-In-Soccer?' Card for failure of any other logical argument. With this reasoning, 99.9% of us on this board should go hide under the bedcovers...You played high school? Well, I played college. You played college? D-3? Sorry, I played D-1. Shut up, I played pro. Huh? You played pro? In USL? Useless! I played for Swansea Town in Wales. Wales? Pfft, I played for Mauritania's National Team. Etc. Etc. Etc.

This guy 'Hmmm' (and you, and I) can say whatever we want, smart, dumb, or otherwise. Key qualification? Internet connection, opposable thumbs, and wanton free time.

Posted by someone who is not 'Hmmm' and did nothing of substance in soccer.

Posted by: Pot Calling The Kettle Black | October 14, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

The Cooper absence was explained in one of my postings two days ago.

Posted by: Goff | October 14, 2008 8:37 AM

You have been on a posting craze lately...hard to keep up with everything.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 14, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

They are as good as most other options in MLS to go, practice, dress, and maybe get into the game depending on the circumstances.

Posted by: Me | October 14, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

T&T gritted out a tie at Guatemala after going down a man. They are in 3rd place due to goal differential. They are going to come at us hard. We need players who can take care of the ball and take a beating. I don't know enough about this young roster to post an informed line-up:

Guzan
Hejduk - I don't know - I don't know - Pearce
I don't know - Edu - I don't know - I don't know - I don't know
Altidore - I don't know

If they play, Beasley and Freddy will spend most of the match on the ground.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 14, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: test | October 14, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Easy, Pot, easy! No censorship issues here! Just looking for the guy to provide some legit analysis on Rolfe and Carroll and why they are "pedestrian oafs." I enjoy differing opinions, as it helps me make better decisions.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 14, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Wonderboy's out? What will we do?

Just kidding -- for those of you who watched the Columbus/Chicago match, you may have heard the announcers refer to Rogers as "wonderboy" every time he touched the ball. Odd, but funny.

Posted by: teamn | October 14, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

----

You say this as if "pedestrian oafs" is Q.E.D.

Admit it, you laid it on thick there.

Posted by: Kettle Calling Pot | October 14, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Did Goff erase my comment back at FF or did it get lost in the tubes?
@Fisch Fry: I thought we agreed to disagree, but when you post like that it really makes me realize I'd rather drink a beer with Mastodon Juan than the likes of you. Quit being such a party pooper and lighten up.

Posted by: dadryan | October 14, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

why no Simms?

Posted by: where's Clyde | October 14, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

We should let trinidad win so that the guats have a bigger chance of being eliminated. I'd rather not risk the US team going to guatemala in the spring for another butcher fest.

Posted by: mizage | October 14, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Fisch Fry wrote:

Isn't it time we chose the best -- the most talented?

Unfortunately, some will decide whom to vote for president this way.

Hope Rolfe gets a chance to play.

Posted by: krolpolski | October 14, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse