USA Training Update

The pleased Bob Bradley, on today's first full session: "It was a good day. From start to finish, there was a good mentality, sharpness and competitiveness. We believe that the camps add up and eventually you get to the point where, when you come in, you don't start over; you start from where you left off. More and more, that is the case."

The optimistic Bradley, on 20-year-old midfielder Jose Francisco Torres's first practice: "It was just what we've always seen. He has some very good starting points and we are excited to have him in with us. We're excited that he wants to be here with us. He seems, in a short amount of time, very comfortable and fitting in with the group. That's nice to see."

The noncommital Bradley, on possibly capping Mexican-American Torres right away: "When we bring players into camp, we bring them in with the idea that they can help with what we are doing. Obviously, there are 23 players, 18 get put on the roster. You make your choices based upon the game, but he is here because we think he is a player who can help us."

The diplomatic Troy Perkins, on D.C. United's problems: "It happens. You can't have years after years after years of being at the top, especially in this league because it is so unpredictable every year. Players are in, players are out, players get traded and the salary cap doesn't help. They will be fine. People need to take a deep breath, relax, give the team some time. We have the same problem in Norway where we brought in eight new players and we've been struggling. It's a character builder for the players, and the young guys need to learn how to win."

Perkins made an unannounced visit to DCU practice this morning and was warmly received. He said he's having a great time in Oslo and his wife is due to give birth to their first child in March. I am planning to have much more on Troy in the print edition later in the week.

*The bonding Jozy Altidore, on Villarreal teammate Giuseppe Rossi, a former N.J. resident who has committed to Italy: "He's one of the guys who speaks English so he has helped me a lot. He's a good player. I asked him briefly about his situation and he said he is going to play for Italy and that he is excited about it. I am sure he will do very well with them."

Did you try to change his mind and play for the U.S.? (It's too late anyway)

(Laughing) "That's not my place."

*Goalkeeper Tim Howard had a dentist appointment and missed training. Forward Charlie Davies is scheduled to arrive from Sweden tonight.

*Ticket sales for Saturday's game are around 16,000.

*While the U.S. squad trained on RFK's natural grass auxiliary field, Gonzaga High School was playing a varsity game next door on the artificial turf. Students in the bleachers for the prep game peered over the fence and watched the U.S. practice, which is closed to the public this week.

By Steve Goff  |  October 7, 2008; 5:30 PM ET
Categories:  Misc. , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Out for Regular Season
Next: Poll Time

Comments

Troy Perkins for "President"

Posted by: soccerfan | October 7, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Tim couldn't find a dentist in England?

(Did I beat you again I-270?)

Posted by: RK | October 7, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Troy Perkins for DCU Keeper!

Posted by: FC Morton | October 7, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Torres will start. If BB doesn't give him chance he will change to Mexican side.

Posted by: td | October 7, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

How about Adu? We have not heard of him yet. Is he busy with his mommy and sweet hearts in potomac land?

Posted by: ted'smontana fc | October 7, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

What hotel is the team staying at? My nehpew needs autographs.

And 16,000? What? How?

Danke

Posted by: Ameobi | October 7, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

16k that's shame.

Posted by: td | October 7, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I will convince Bradley st start Adu on the wing. Torres will be playmaker.

Posted by: Piotr Nowak | October 7, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

16 K on Monday for a saturday game - - not so bad.

remember, we are pretty much locked at this point.

Posted by: shark | October 7, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

16 K for a return of the World Cup to RFK is abysmal. I don't care the cost of the seats . . .

Soccer fans in DC should be going in droves to this match to see some good (hopefully 1 sided!) football with some talented US players . . and then add in a good atmosphere on what hopefully will be a great early Fall night!

And Landycakes at RFK . . . what kind of reaction will he get? I would imagine we'll give lukewarm support and hope he gets off the pitch so we can see Altidore!

Posted by: delantero | October 7, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | October 7, 2008 6:28 PM
----------------------------------------

Not a chance in hell he changes to the Mexican side, they wouldn't take him anymore it would be too embarassing to their federation. Reading some the comments on the mediotiempo.com article it seems the majority of mexicans want his head on a platter and wish all ill on him.

By the way 16K is not bad, considering the opposition, it's only tuesday, not all DC fans are US fans and frankly I haven't seen any type of promo or advertisement in the area for local fans who aren't already plugged into USsoccer.

Posted by: Thora | October 7, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

FYP - "While the U.S. squad trained on RFK's natural grass field". Otherwise those highschoolers have Xray vision.

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | October 7, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I Love Troy Perkins! ;)

Posted by: kris | October 7, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

RK: Periodonitis is a badge of honour to the English.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 7, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

16k is bad -- any way you cut it. Not encouraging. Hopefully, we're looking at a good walk-up crowd. I've got my tickets. I realize there won't be much of a pro-Cuba contingent (except maybe some undercover player agents), but there ought to be 20-25k US fans, at a minimum. I would hope a game in the Spring, when it really counts, would get double that attendance -- even without the foreign fans...but, I don't know if the USSF will want to come back...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 7, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I have to figure out whether I'm going to buy 1, 2, or 4 tickets.

It's disappointing to me that the first WCQ we get in years is against Cuba. I would have preferred the T&T match - a better opponent and a better atmosphere.

The first time I ever saw the MNT play was against T&T in 80 or 81. It must have been a friendly, because it was played on the (then) artificial turf of Florida Field (FIFA would not have sanctioned a match on turf then). There were more people on the field than in the stands. T&T won 2-0.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 7, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

The smaller the turnout, and the lower the profit the city receives, the better.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 7, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 7, 2008 9:38 PM

Why? I know this is a free world and all, but if it has something to do with DC not building United a stadium, give me a break. You don't even live around here anymore do you?

Posted by: dadryan | October 7, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

16k minus 4. My son has a tx this weekend, otherwise I would go as I'm sure several other thousand fans in the MD/VA/DC area.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 7, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it has everything to do with the city not being willing to work with United to build a stadium in the city.

If it weren't for lobbyists that United paid for, Poplar Point would not be reverting to District control.

The city bends over backwards for a sport that is dead (especially in DC), baseball, and treats the most successful of it's teams over the last 15 years, like a red-headed step-child.

No, I don't live in DC anymore, but I still come to matches at RFK to support United, and I'll be happy when I no longer have to spend money in DC to support them.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 8, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Who cares about 16k fans? If they sound like 32k fans then attendance numbers are irrelevant.

There's some good soccer fans up in that area so I fully expect a good atmosphere.

We'd be lucky to get half of that here in the Home Depot center.

Posted by: EASTLACHIVA | October 8, 2008 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Well, there were something like 9k for...Barbados, in the sweltering sun, I think you might get 16 for a slightly better team.

Posted by: viv | October 8, 2008 2:35 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget the walk up! It's a saturday night game and a lot of people, will buy their tickets at the gate. Don't worry, RFK will sound good

Posted by: Greg Ginn | October 8, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse

AlecW81, I'm not happy with DC turning it's back on United, but the world doesn't revolve around DCU and it's fans. In a city that has a lot of it's resources spread extremely thin and PLENTY of bigger problems than soccer fans threatening to not spend their money in the city anymore, I think your going a little bit far.
You're probably just venting, but I doubt there is a single person in DC government who's losing sleep over soccer fans threatening to never spend their dough in the city again. Hoping no one goes to a WCQ at RFK is a weak excuse for a protest. I'd say making some huge banners directed at Fenty's lies and flying them at said WCQ would be a more effective action.
Anyone know if Fenty's still planning on going to the game?

I never could understand how so many folks who don't pay property taxes, or spend more than lunch money in the District expect so much in return.

Posted by: dadryan | October 8, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

and what the hell is Greg Ginn doing here?

Posted by: dadryan | October 8, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

idiot.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

It doesn't help that the Caps open up their home schedule at the same time. I would have gone to the soccer game but I already had a ticket to the Caps game and opening night is a special event. I know of another soccer fan in the same quandary and he also will be at the Verizon Center.

Posted by: McLean | October 8, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

My guess on Torres: he doesn't play in the Saturday game, but if the U.S. clinches a place in the next round on Saturday, Bradley will give him some minutes in the Wednesday game.

Hopefully the walk-up ticket buyers will push the total to 30K plus.

Hey Greg Ginn - Bob Mould called. He wants his Husker Du royalties from SST.

Posted by: SSMD | October 8, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"and what the hell is Greg Ginn doing here? "

Greg, I quit Flag years ago, now leave me alone! p.s.--I'll be on the quiet side for this match, people change you know.

Posted by: Henry Rollins | October 8, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Hank, your such a LIAR.

Posted by: chuck dukowski | October 8, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I love inflammatory comments from Anonymous posters...

The Men's National Team may won't have the ability to play in the city if the city won't work with United for a Stadium. RFK has a very, very, very short amount of time to remain standing.

Why reward the city with important international fixtures if they're completely undeserving of the honor?

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 8, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

My friends. There is some twisted logic on this here blog, yesiree. What do politicians love? Money. You betcha.

(I'm channeling McPalin)

A huge turnout at RFK for this weekend's qualifier would show the local pols what they'd be missing if DCU builds a SSS outside of the DC limits. Disappointing crowds would only confirm their view that soccer is not a mature enough sport to invest city resources.

Posted by: Mixter | October 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

They've already seen that United can draw large crowds on it's own, including some of the largest crowds in RFK history.

That line of reasoning has gotten the team nowhere closer to a stadium, while padding the pockets of DCSEC, and draining funds from MLS, for the last 13 years.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 8, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse