World Cup Futures

FIFA has delayed outlining the process for bidding on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup. The tentative plan is to make the selections at the same time, which would presumably boost the efforts of England (2018) and the United States (2022).

By Steve Goff  |  October 24, 2008; 11:36 AM ET
Categories:  FIFA
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Rejuventated at RFK

Comments

so the fix is in, huh?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | October 24, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Obviously, the credit markets are affecting the candidates' opportunities to pay bribes.

To choose the 2022 WC fourteen years beforehand is a joke.

Posted by: Reignking | October 24, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

We don't have to build any new stadiums for the 2022 WC or any other WC. Let's just have them all here. I can see the doubleheaders now:
DC v New England and US v Ireland
Chicago v Montreal and Poland v France.
LA v San Jose and Mexico v China

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 24, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Who said games for thw hypothetical 2022 World Cup would be played in DC?

Where in DC, RFK?!!?

Posted by: vmrg1974 | October 24, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

2022... that's plenty of time for the Dannydome.

Posted by: sitruc | October 24, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

The sports blogger formerly known as Fisch Fry here, checking in with my new handle.

@I270 -- nicely played. I guess the MLS still won't be taking time off for the World Cup?

Personally, I don't think FIFA would appreciate MLS hackers chewing up their precious fields. Not only will doubleheaders be out, I seriously doubt they would pick stadiums that host any other games or events during that time. While I'm sure the MLS would love to have that kind of visibility, real footy fans will be a little preoccupied to even notice.

Now about the USA's chances of hosting 2022 (or even 2018 -- which Blatter already ruled out): I read recently, in the NY Times I believe, that Australia's point man was just elevated to FIFA's governing Politburo. The suggestion was that this indicated a strong preference and/or likelihood that the 2022 Cup would go Down Under. We might be looking at 2026....

Posted by: fischy | October 24, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse