Bradley's Equalizer, Subotic's Brace

Big stuff in the Bundesliga.....

USA midfielder Michael Bradley scores a late equalizer on a header as Borussia Moenchengladbach comes from two down to tie visiting Bayern Munich, 2-2, while maybe-USA defender Neven Subotic scores twice on headers in the first 26 minutes to lead host Borussia Dortmund to a 4-0 rout over Eintracht Frankfurt.

According to one report, Subotic has chosen to play for Serbia. (Subotic represented the USA on the youth level, but his European roots offer him multiple international playing options.)

UPDATE: USSF Prez Sunil Gulati says, "We have spoken to Neven's representatives and can confirm the story is untrue."

Bradley's goal at the end of this clip:

By Steve Goff  |  November 15, 2008; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No. 1 Wake Forest Upset
Next: Matchnight: RSL-Red Bulls

Comments

Bocanegra and Onyewu are better than Subotic anyway. Subotic can score goals as a defender, but he doesn't seem like he can defend as well as the two guys we already have slated to start for USA.

Posted by: davethelad | November 15, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd be upset if we were losing a forward of attacking midfielder. We have lots of defenders.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 15, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I predict that if this blog is still around in 2017, there will be people suggesting that Rossi be recruited to play for the USMNT. I wonder whether the same thing will happen with Subotic if he goes with Serbia.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 15, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

US soccer is saying report is false. Agree with I270...we have plenty of good defenders (except left back of course).

Bradley goal on Ives site...quite nice.

Goff...when is US soccer announcing international call-ups? Reading is apparently losing "6-7" players which means that one or two might be to US team.

Posted by: Beckster1 | November 15, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Moenchengladbach seems to want to deploy Bradley as the more attack-minded of their central midfielders, and, big surprise, he still did plenty of defensive work and got a late equalizer. I'm sure this won't at all change the fact that his father will play him deeper in midfield (where he has far fewer chances to burst forward into the box), and we will continue to see him score at a higher rate for his club than for his country. If he scores a good number of goals in the Bundesliga, will his dad get the message, or will we still see him staying home too often?

I share 270's opinion on the Subotic matter. It would be great if he played for us, but it's looking increasingly unlikely, and that's fine too. We have plenty of center backs capable of playing at an acceptable level. It's up front and on the wings that we could use a boost (speaking of which, Dempsey played 88 minutes for Fulham in their 2-1 win over Spurs today).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 15, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Bocanegra and Onyewu *are* very good, but neither they nor any other defender on the MNT are playing in top-tier leagues. Subotic starts every game for a Bundeslig team, and scores a lot to boot. I won't cry if we lose him, but make no mistake, it will be a loss.

Posted by: glfrazier | November 15, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm with glfrazier. Even if Subotic wouldn't be an automatic starter for the US, it never hurts to have a deep bench.

Posted by: Kenobi | November 15, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glfrazier | November 15, 2008 2:11 PM
*****************************************

Ehhhhh, you can find a reason to criticize anyone if you look hard enough. Gooch will almost certainly be playing in a higher league in a couple months and has played 4 or 5 big games already this season against teams like Liverpool, Everton, and Sevilla.

Bocanegra just finished a stint in the EPL and is starting out of position at left back for one of the best defensive teams in the France.

Subotic may have more upside than either Gooch or slightly long in the tooth Boca, but saying he's getting lots of more quality "top-tier" experience in his defensive minutes is a bit of a stretch. Not that I'd mind it if he somehow wound up playing for the US.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 15, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Yo, check out the latest episode of the VWRoad to the Cup jawn. Personally I think it's genius, and secondly you'll be surprised to see who's joined the party!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 15, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | November 15, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I'd say that if this blog is still going in 2017, a certain someone will still be wondering if Convey is getting minutes with Reading, or whether he might get a call-up to the USMNT -- even if the answer to both questions is surely "no".

It was a nice job by Bradley to equalize. I'd say he probably felt he needed to do something big, since he really got in the fullback's way after Lamm put his move on...and then Bradley just stopped and watched. Still, he made a good run to be in the right place for the equalizer. Gotta be a huge thrill.

Lastly, since Subotic hasn't played for the US squad, it would seem odd to say we will miss him if he plays for Serbia. On the other hand, he's a terrific player. It's silly to claim that we're set with Gooch and Boca, and that Neven wouldn't make the team better -- and not just because he's almost 10 years younger than Carlos.

I would be surprised to see him opt for the US rather than Serbia -- since he seems more European than American -- but it would be a huge boost for our team if he signed up for Uncle Sam.

Posted by: fischy | November 15, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I lol'ed at some of the comments on the fsc website, so many of them are racists. That's why I love this blog :)

Posted by: GoUnited | November 15, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Benny took out that bag on the first take? Crayton looked like he's been taking positioning lessons from Wells...

Posted by: fischy | November 15, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

One more observation about Subotic -- there are some suggestions that he's not a great defensive player. I think it's important to point out that he turns 20 years old next month. He's 19 years old, and he's starting on the back line for one of the top franchises in the Bundesliga. He's defending against the likes of Luca Toni and Ze Roberto.

His American contemporaries -- the ones who we would have to look to to fill his spot down the road, if he picks Serbia -- the best of them have sewn up starting spots on NCAA varsity teams, where the best player they'll see is Marcus Tracy.

Gooch and Boca wish they were at Neven's level when he was 19. Sure, he's a recent convert to defense -- a forward until he was discovered at Bradenton. So, he might be a stronger offensive threat than lifelong defenders. If he's starting in the Bundesliga, he's a pretty decent defender, even if he is only 19.

Posted by: fischy | November 15, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I tried watching that Bradley clip, but it was all in German. Don't they speak English over there now?

Posted by: spectre42 | November 15, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

spectre42: The game was on GolTV, it might be replaying...

As for Subotic, I really hope we dont lose this kid and I dont think we will. Who knows though, it would be nice to slot Boca at left back and then put Subotic and Onyewu in the middle. We'll see.

Bradley really has stepped up his game and I hope he can continue to grow. He was playing a very attack oriented position at times today and I hope/wish he gets the chance to do that more on the national team level. I think he could be THE engine that makes us go if he keeps developing. He made a great choice going to Moenchengladbach and I hope they stay up...

Posted by: strago | November 15, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

what a great day. my fave team comes down from 2-0 to tie my most hated team and one of my fellow "ami" ties the game.

Posted by: birdynumnum | November 15, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Well, Subotic is a great defender. The fact that he also likes to score is just the icing on the cake but defending and making a great first pass are his main strengths.

If he was eligible for Germany he would play against England next wednesday.

Juventus are already interested. Imo he is much already better than Onyewu will ever be.

Posted by: MarkoMarin | November 16, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"I never thought that the kid who couldn't even make it off the bench for the Red Bulls would be scoring in one of the world's best leagues. Good job Bradley."

I think Bradley's great, too, but you're wrong-- DEAD wrong-- about the "couldn't even make it off the bench" comment.

He was drafted in 2004. The team waited for him to get out of Bradenton, but he got injured and couldn't play that season. He was 16, by the way.

Then he played EVERY SINGLE GAME in 2005, scored the goal that put NY in the playoffs, and played both playoff games.

So you stand corrected. He "got off the bench" by playing every game he was healthy.

But let me point out how totally pathetic it is that DC fans constantly make blatantly false assertions about NY. DC is incompetent when it comes to signing talented youngsters, but you guys project that incompetence onto other teams.

How freaking hard is it to actually, like, look it up? Not very. It took me thirty seconds.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | November 16, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

This is one of the main reason why our soccer is not advancing at a fast pace...We do not have a real soccer press that is able to ask THE RIGHT QUESTIONS....Why is Mr Gulati involve in anything that have to do with an HIRING OF A FOREIGN PLAYER on our national SOCCER TEAM...? Mr Gulati job as a president of the federation is to device strategies to develop a large amount of AMERICAN BORN world class players not BEGGING and sucking foreign primadonas to come a save us from another humiliation on the world cup....

Posted by: fernando22x | November 17, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Boca and Onyewo were able to force FIFA referees to protect Italy on a world cup game we do not need to Subotic....Boca and Onyewo are better....

Posted by: fernando22x | November 17, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse