D.C. United Protects.....

Thabiso Khumalo
Devon McTavish
Jaime Moreno
Bryan Namoff
Santino Quaranta
Clyde Simms

Which leaves the following players available for selection by Seattle in Wednesday's expansion draft: Crayton, Martinez, Peralta, Vide, Gallardo, Doe, J. Carroll, P. Carroll, Cordeiro, Dyachenko, Kirk, Koroma, Mediate, Miller, Olsen, Thompson, Thorpe, Wells, Zaher.

Seattle does not need a starting goalkeeper (Keller), so there's no risk of the Sounders claiming Crayton -- unless the club makes a deal with a team that does want a keeper. Gallardo's enormous guaranteed contract will scare off everyone, Martinez did not impress anyone at his inflated salary, Peralta earns a lot and Olsen's career is in limbo. Kirk has graduated from the Generation Adidas program, making him eligible for selection. Vide and Doe are the other most appealing players to the Sounders.

Seattle will only select 10 players from among the hundreds available and each current team cannot lose more than one player. So four clubs will escape the expansion process unscathed.

The first trade of the offseason was finalized today: New England sent forward Adam Cristman (10 goals, five assists in 46 career league games) to Kansas City for allocation money and a third-round draft pick.

More later.....

By Steve Goff  |  November 24, 2008; 4:23 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: MLS Cup
Next: More United and MLS News

Comments

My guess is that either Vide or Peralta will get picked up by Seattle.

If I'm not mistaken Ljundberg is already a DP so Gallardo can't be taken, correct?

Posted by: delantero | November 24, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Interesting trade by NE. What's that Nichol up to now?

Posted by: Modibo | November 24, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

So why protect Emilio if he is a DP too? We could have kept Vide. Why protect Burch? He is terrible even at his bargain basement price tag. A cone could do better in the back than him sometimes.

Oh well, maybe they will take Wells off of our hands!

Posted by: therealfootball | November 24, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, gosh-darnit! We didn't protect Dyachenko! I hope those Sounders folks don't notice and take him and make him a star! He OWNS MLS defenders.

No, seriously, please take him.

Posted by: DWE4 | November 24, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Cristman will end up in Seattle.

Dyachenko will be taken by the Sounders as well. He'll then try to sneak into Canada and will be arrested at the border. The Seattle FO will post his bail, put him on waivers, and DC United will pick him back up.

Just a hunch.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 24, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

WHAT?? Dyachenko left unprotected?
On a more serious note,wouldn't the reasoning about Gallardo apply to Moreno as well? The out-of-town papers and soccer magazines have been saying for several years that DCU's biggest challenge is how to phase out Jaime gently...CP

Posted by: bechtoldpk | November 24, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

delantero: In principle, you'd be correct, re: Seattle already having a DP so DPs not in danger. But there's some speculation that even if Seattle doesn't have a DP slot, they might still be able to draft and then immediately trade. Who knows with MLS Calvinball?

therealfootball: Maybe they protected Emilio because of the scenario I just described above? Or maybe he has a no-trade clause in his contract, which by MLS rules would require DCU to protect him.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | November 24, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

"So four clubs will escape the expansion process unscathed."

One would think that MLS would have exempted four of its inaugural teams from the expansion draft - by lottery maybe - as they have been through this process more than Chicago, Chivas, Toronto, RSL, and San Jose (I know, SJ is not technically an expansion team, but they did reap the benefits of an "expansion" draft). Then another set of the originals could be exempt the following year. Or at least let some of the inaugural teams protect more players.

Hopefully Crayton scared off the Seattle FO with his adventures out of the box.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 24, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe DC will be selling Emilio in the Winter Transfer window, so we didn't want anyone else signing him just to take that money.

Posted by: alecw81 | November 24, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I see Doe going:-(
Unless they're scared off by his funky toe nail problems...
He finished off the season showing some promise.
I'm crossing my fingers it's Peralta though.

Hey Goff a link to the full lists or at least the protection lists for the other clubs would be nice:-)
Thanks Steve!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 24, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I sure wish they had protected Doe rather than Khumalo. Doe scores. Otherwise the list looks pretty good, though pretty conservative in putting Moreno on it.

Posted by: granadoskerry | November 24, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

They are definitely going to be gunning for Vide. If they pick him up, maybe we could pull the kind of deal we did to get Dyachenko back last year (or two years ago, dont remember)

Posted by: Springfie1d | November 24, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Also stoked to see they want to keep Ivan!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 24, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Crayton scared off the Seattle FO with his adventures out of the box.

...or with his adevnture in the "Road to MLS Cup" commercials for VW.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 24, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming that Khumalo and Janicki are now signed, otherwise they would not need to be protected, no? I only have one disagreement and one quibble with the list. I would have kept Vide and left Burch unprotected. I also would have left Moreno unprotected due to age, salary and injuries. However, I can live with showing him some respect at the end of his career.

The only other comment is a sad one on Payne, Kasper and Soehn. Two of the players they protected, meaning they are in their eyes the "most valuable" were playing in the U.S. Third Division last August. Speaks volumes about the much touted "off season signings" before the 2008 season. Personally, I blame Veron for the entire mess.

Posted by: griffin1108 | November 24, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I like this list! Very happy to see they want to hold on to Janicki. He could definitely develop into a very decent defender.

Posted by: kris77 | November 24, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bechtoldpk | November 24, 2008 4:40 PM
----------------------------------------------

Jaime Moreno isn't making $1.9 million a year -- so, no, the same reasoning would not apply to him.

Anyone writing in out-of-town papers that DCU's big challenge is how to phase-out Jaime must not have watched DCU play last year. Jaime was the guy who made the team go. With him in the lineup, they were a pretty good offensive team. When he wasn't playing, the offense was very creaky.

DCU's biggest challenge will not be phasing out Moreno. It will be replacing him, when that time comes.

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Janicki and Boyzz probably came at a bargain of a price, but it was also probably one of the first things the Club HAD TO address at the end of their season. Sounders would have known little about them had they not made their respective splashes for DCU.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 24, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Cmon, this has been rehashed a million times.

Senior Roster
• Teams may protect 11 players between their Senior and their Developmental Roster.
• If the Player's contract expires at the end of 2008, he will still be considered part of the team's Senior Roster.

Posted by: Reignking | November 24, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I guess Francis Doe is the guy people will be writing about this time next year -- about how stupid that DCU was in letting him go?

It's a good list, I can't quibble with it. While I love what Doe did in that last home game, I totally understand why they're more concerned with keeping Khumalo.

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Griffin,

not protecting Gsllardo, Martinez and Peralta has as much to do with MLS economics as with their on-field contributions. But Khumalo and Janick were good late season pickups.

I think the front office did a good job with this list. I would have protected Vide instead of Khumalo but otherwise had come up with the same list of names.

Leaving Crayton unprotected is not surprising considering Wells was just re-signed, and as Goff mentions Crayton earns a fairly high salary making him an unattractive option to a team that has Kasey Keller. Of course Seattle can pick players in the expansion draft and start making trades...

Martinez and Soehn don't seem to be on the same wavelength so I wasn't surprised to see him unprotected, plus the management has been praising Peralta - and Janicki was a revelation late in the season.

Gallardo is way too expensive and hasn't shown his value for any team to take him unless they're just doing it in the hopes of spiting DC.

Ben Olsen is a DC icon and deserves to have his name added to the Wall of Fame - but until he proves he can play again he's just a big drain on the salary cap.

DC left many potentially useful role players unprotected but we will only lose one (tops) in the expansion draft. The core of the team's value (which includes playing ability, future potential and affordability under the salary cap) has been protected.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 24, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

As for all those assuming DCU will lose a player -- I'd scan the other teams' lists first. I haven't done that yet, but I'd bet that Seattle doesn't take any of the freaks and geeks, castoffs and overpriced stiffs that we've left unprotected (Not talking about you, Crayton)...

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I expect that we will lose Vide - he has a low salary and is an effective MF battler. A pity.

With the roster cut to 24 next season, and maybe a few decent draft options coming available, competition to make the squad should be pretty intense next March. Let's hope it carries on into the season.

Posted by: oz4dcu | November 24, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

dude Goff you spelled Koroma wrong. I know he basically disappeared after signing but still that's actually kinda poor form.

im gonna assume it was a freudian slip for corona since heavy drinking was the only way to get through this past season.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | November 24, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Not so sure we love Vide.

1. Dyachenko is local (Vancouver, Washington). He's the kind of guy that an expansion team might take--low salary, can play a couple of roles, still young, knows the league, doesn't count as an international player.

2. OTOH, there are a bunch of guys who can play a Vide role. I'm not arguing that I'd rather have Dyachenko--I like what Vide gave us this year. Plus he's local (of a sorts--U.Va). But Seattle can find a bunch of hard working, hard-running, cheap D-mids.

3. We don't expose Moreno because it could be the Kreis situation all over again. While with Olsen, there is NO certainty he'll ever play again.

4. We expose Gallardo and not Emilio because Gallardo makes 4x what Emilio makes. Seattle could take Emilio and then trade him to another team (TFC? Columbus? SJ?).

5. There's always the risk that we lose someone because Seattle has engineered a trade with another club.

I think there's a very good chance we don't lose anyone though. We had a terrible season. Guys that some people like (Doe, Vide, etc.) were rejected by bad 2007 teams or waived through the league. It's not like there was a long list of suitors. If our talent had been so good, our season would have been better. Our season fell apart mostly because when injuries hit, guys like Doe and Dyachenko and even Vide didn't play well enough to compensate.

Posted by: JoeW1 | November 24, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

______________________________________________

Well, at least the Front Office isn't delusional about the "off season signings" they made before this late unlamented disaster of a season. I suppose that, in and of itself, bodes moderately well for next season.

The Big Guys made some hard-boiled decisions regarding the expansion draft. I approve.

Posted by: Stevenho | November 24, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye Vide. That's too bad. I really think he's the perfect guy for us off the bench. Cheap and solid. Definitely not a starter, but really good depth. I don't see anything in Burch, but I hope I'm ultimately proven wrong. Left sided defenders are hard to find.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | November 24, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I still feel like Seattle will take the Toronto "Hold the face of your club for ransom" path with someone. That might mean they take Olsen and he retires (I wonder what the MLS rules say about a player retiring rather than being taken in an expansion draft, then magically unretiring weeks later). Will it be us with Olsen (or Gallardo, since he's the more famous player)?

It's hard to argue with any of the players protected. The one drawing the most ire seems to be Burch, whose bad showings mostly came out of position at center back and who played possibly the best soccer of his career in the last 4-6 weeks of the season. There's also the fact that he's an actual left-footed left back, which in MLS is a rare thing. I wonder if we could have left Khumalo unprotected rather than Crayton or Gallardo. Vide might have also been the better choice there, since after Simms our defensive midfield options are Vide, McTavish (being used elsewhere, for better or worse), and Pat Carroll (who was save for a couple occasions very poor this year).

The players I can see Seattle taking from us are Crayton, Martinez, Peralta, Vide, Gallardo, Doe, Olsen, or Zaher. Of that list, the only ones we would actually miss would be Crayton, Vide, Gallardo, Doe, and Olsen. Crayton, Gallardo, and Olsen would obviously just be ransom-style moves. Vide, who I do like as a part of the current United squad, is still someone we can replace in the draft (hard-running, tough midfielders are something the NCAA has plenty of). Doe is someone that, if we lost, we'd need to replace with a similar player. We have no other offensive players with real speed, and it's something we really need to improve on.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 24, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

@mbyrd28 et al."I don't see anything in Burch". Well, I do see the player with the best dead ball free/corner kicks. I also see the only player capable of long passes to switch fields. His inconsistent defending is a problem thus far,but do the critics realize that he has been a lifelong striker who was recently converted into a fullback? Have you ever tried that? Give him some time,and if he does not improve at left back, then either move him into Josh Gros' old position, or trade him b/c there will be a number of clubs anxious to have him. Let's not forget that he also has the hardest shot on the team.I bet that Houston or San Jose or Preki or Kreis would know how to use him effectively and hide his deficiencies.Can we trade for Preki?PLEASE?? Coach Peter.

Posted by: bechtoldpk | November 24, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I've changed my mind. I think we lose Peralta not Vide. Brian Clough rules of team-building - get a keeper, a centerback, a striker, and any other 8 guys to run. Peralta might be too good for Seattle to pass over.

Posted by: oz4dcu | November 25, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I'd be more than happy if Peralta or Martinez left. Peralta is earning more than what he's worth, and being left unprotected may finally give Martinez the wake-up call that he needs. (e.g., stop trying to be a striker when you're a defender. ;)

Posted by: Dynaformer | November 25, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse