Donovan in Munich

Two months ago, the Insider was first to tell you that Bayern Munich had been pursuing USA and Galaxy superstar Landon Donovan. The Bavarian club got him -- sort of.

Donovan, who didn't last long in his previous Bundesliga adventure a few years ago, has begun a 10-day training stint with Bayern. (At least we know he won't be at the USA qualifier in Denver next week.)

It's just to stay fit -- so they say -- but might it lead to the European move that Donovan has again sought?

By Steve Goff  |  November 11, 2008; 10:26 AM ET
Categories:  MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Schmid, Huckerby Honored
Next: USA Training Camp Roster

Comments

What is the deal with Landy and Germany. Has he experienced anything but failure in that country. Of course, just be/c he's training there does not mean he won't end up somewhere else...but geez, get the hell out of there.

Please go somewhere else...spain, holland (you'd have blast there)...

Posted by: Edison2 | November 11, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Go for it Landon. But only go if you get a first team spot. I know the money is a great pull for Europe and so is the prestige but I'm not sure our guys are getting any better sitting on the bench!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | November 11, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I am a big Landon fan and will never forgot his performance against Mexico in the Gold Cup final a few years ago. I hope that he gets a European contract. I just hate the idea of him going back to Germany. He has tried it twice and both times it did not work out. At the time he talked about clashing with the strict regiment of the training and coaching. I would really like to see him end up in one of the other top tier leagues

Posted by: nyjer1 | November 11, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

5 to 1 odds that he'll be back in MLS next season .. . because it's too cold, his mommy can't tuck him in, the coach is mean to him . . .

Posted by: delantero | November 11, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

If Lucas Podolski can't crack that line-up, who thinks Landon Donovan can?

Donovan may be a great player for the US and MLS, but I just don't see him at a club like Bayern, even with Juergen Klinsmann in charge.

Posted by: TCompton | November 11, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm in the camp that I believe that he wasn't ready to go overseas when he did the first two times. I know that I wasn't ready to live overseas until I turned ~25. It's rough to adjust to a new language and culture. I think he will do it this time and excel. He seems more driven and motivated than I have ever seen him. He hears the footsteps and they are getting louder with each passing day.

Posted by: strago | November 11, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

TCompton: Podolski is also like Clint Dempsey, cant do crap for his club but excels in the national teams jersey.

Posted by: strago | November 11, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

He has a nice salary and life here. Nice and warm in LA right now. Stay here so the league can get better.

Posted by: TheJim1 | November 11, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Why does he keep going to Germany? If he flopped there twice why not try England, Holland or even Scotland?

Whatever he does, hopefully he'll make it this time as the national team really needs him in top form and he's never going to get there when he's playing in MLS.

Posted by: hacksaw | November 11, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I hope he does well, b ut I too, wonder why Germany again, other than the obvious: Klinnsmann.

Posted by: JkR- | November 11, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I hope it works out this time, if not at Bayern, then somewhere else. He's too talented for the shoddy Galaxy franchise and for MLS. If he stays, he'll have to fight for playing time harder than ever before.

Why do we anglicize only the last part? Why not Bavaria Munich or Bayern Mu"nchen? Pick ein language und stick mit ihn.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 11, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I admire Landy for taking on a new challenge. I wish him well on this third try in Deutchland playing with Herr Klinsmann.

Posted by: billindmd | November 11, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Don't go to Scotland!! Their are only two good teams and its a chippy league. The weather kind of requires it and I do not think it suits Landon's game. He has the speed for England. Who wouldn't want to play in Spain? Holland could be interesting.

Posted by: nyjer1 | November 11, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why people constantly think that loans and training stints mean that someone is going to move to that club permanently. It's rare when that happens. Maybe it is just training for Landon -- maybe he's going to start making contact with other clubs in Europe -- maybe Klinsman is interested. Who knows.

If I'm wagering, next season he'll be playing for, in order of likeliness...

1. a club in Germany or Europe below Bayern's calibre
2. Galaxy
3. Bayern Munich

Posted by: Kev29 | November 11, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Dempsey excels in the national team jersey?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | November 11, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I-270Exit 1: We anglicize the second part and not the first part because that's the choice of the club. In their English-language promotional efforts, they've always referred to themselves as Bayern Munich, so that's what others use.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | November 11, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | November 11, 2008 11:09 AM

And by "Mommy" do you mean "hot actress wife" that you could never get in a million years?

Posted by: EricB1 | November 11, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Third time's a charm. Donovan's grown-up a lot since the last time he went to Germany, and with Klinsmann in charge, he's going into a situation that's tailor-made for him to succeed. If Landy can't make this situation work, he should just stay in the States for good.

Posted by: Kenobi | November 11, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

If I'm wagering, next season he'll be playing for, in order of likeliness...

1. a club in Germany or Europe below Bayern's calibre
2. Galaxy
3. Bayern Munich

Posted by: Kev29 | November 11, 2008 11:56 AM

Yeah, I see him at another club... Could be the Bayern stint is a favor from Klinsmann. There's nothing wrong with Donovan getting some high-profile exposure that could lead to a better offer.

Remember that Lalas thinks MLS will ask for more $$ than foreign clubs will be willing to pay, Arena says he's staying, and many MSLers haven't managed to get offers high enough to dislodge them from their squads (Twellman, Cooper, Johnson to Benfica). So this can't hurt Donovan even if Bayern doesn't bite, though they'd have the $$ to bankroll the transfer if they wanted it.

Posted by: Modibo | November 11, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Because Munich is a lot easier to pronounce, and the world knows the city that way.

As for Klinsmann -- he's clearly interested. That's what the trial is for -- to see how Landy will do on the same pitch as those guys. If he shows well, Jurgen will make the move...and you won't have to worry about playing time. I think Donovan, Riberry and Toni could be a deadly trio, but it depends on Donovan's determination relative to his small stature.

If not there, there are other places he might flourish...

Posted by: fischy | November 11, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@ christopher_a_metzler | November 11, 2008 12:33 PM

Muchas danke you.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 11, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Its a great fit for Donovan, playing with and off of Toni and Ribery goes to all his strengths. Remember, he bagged 20 this year and he only had Beckman to give him a decent pass. Munich has the cash and LA is going to need it to rebuild their team. Brucie might complain, but right now, the money Becks and Donovan consume makes that job nigh on to impossible.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | November 11, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think Donovan, Riberry and Toni could be a deadly trio, but it depends on Donovan's determination relative to his small stature. Posted by: fischy | November 11, 2008 12:51 PM

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 11, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm a frequent LD detractor, but I'm ready to admit that his game has got an edge to it in the past 12 to 18 months that I had not seen before. I still think his finishing touch is suspect. So I think it will depend on where they plan to play him at Bayern, on the wing or up top. But I think he could be a european quality winger. He'll have to improve his service a bit, but the defense, the tireless work ethic, and the speed to exploit defenses is all there. I hope he's successful.

Posted by: Matte | November 11, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's video of donovan's first day of training with Bayern Munich.

Posted by: Nicole11 | November 11, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Bianca is 2.5 stars out of 4.

Posted by: alecw81 | November 11, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse