Friday Updates

*I'm told that Cuban defector Reinier Alcantara will begin workouts with Chivas USA next week. He previously had trained with Kansas City.

*Alexi Lalas speaks out about Becks, Arena and the Galaxy.

*D.C. United midfielder Ivan Guerrero has been recalled by Honduras for its crucial World Cup qualifier against Mexico Nov. 19 in San Pedro Sula.

*Russian superstar Andrei Arshavin wants out of St. Petersburg.

*USA defender Carlos Bocanegra chats with FIFA.com.

*Virginia and Virginia Tech meet in the ACC women's semifinals at 7:30 tonight.

*The USSF is accepting nominations for America's best soccer bar, store, video, blog and fan photo.

Back later with the weekend TV listings.....

By Steve Goff  |  November 7, 2008; 2:02 PM ET
Categories:  Beckham , College Soccer , MLS , U.S. men's national team , World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: TV, Anyone?

Comments

I'm putting out the lawn signs right now:
Vote for Soccer Insider. A Blog We Need

I'm working on the campaign speech:
Who is this Ives Ahmadinejad Chavez Jong-Il Galarcep. He doesn't see soccer the way you and I see soccer.

And my friends at ACORN are working on voter frau... ummm registration.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 7, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I think that Lalas' comments are probably the first he's said in a very long time that I can somewhat agree with.

Posted by: TCompton | November 7, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Lala probably had a shut-up clause in his contract that lasted until the end of the season, which for the Gala ended early.

Posted by: IamAM | November 7, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

UVA has an early 1-0 lead over the Hokies.

Posted by: sitruc | November 7, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

UVa has controlled much of the match and hit the posts, but it is 1-1 right now.

Posted by: sitruc | November 7, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Carden and the Hokies won another match after PKs. Carden saved four of the PKs.

Posted by: sitruc | November 7, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see how the Hokies do against the Albicelestes on Sunday. (As someone noted in a separate thread, it will be shown live on CSN.)

In other NCAA women's action, Navy got by Colgate. They have to beat Army on Sunday, period. There is no way the Patriot League will get a second berth. W&M and JMU were both upset in the CAA semis, so the winner of Hofstra-Northeastern gets the automatic bid. The CAA may get a second invite, or possibly even a third, so W&M and JMU are on the bubble. WVU got knocked out of the Big East tournament at the semifinal stage, but they should get a bid, as should Georgetown.

In area NCAA men's action, GWU and GMU won, probably putting them in the middle of the seeds for their respective conference tournaments next weekend. And of course, Maryland beat the other Albicelestes, while Virgina lost to Wake Forest.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 8, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm confused by all these Albicelestes. ho's playing Argentina and who's playing the New Jersey WPL team?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 8, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse