'Give Thanks'

"Years have gone by and I've finally learned to accept myself for who I am: A beggar for good soccer. I go around the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums, I plead: 'A pretty move, for the love of God.' And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don't give a damn which team or country performs it."

-- Eduardo Galeano, "Soccer in Sun and Shadow"

Happy thanksgiving.

By Steve Goff  |  November 26, 2008; 4:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Seattle Selects.....
Next: Thanksgiving Video

Comments

I got that book as a Christmas present last year and absolutely loved it.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | November 26, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"I'm so proud the fans still sing my name, but I fear tomorrow they will stop. I fear it because I love it. And everything you love, you fear you will lose."
-Cantona

Posted by: Colm1 | November 26, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Nice find, Goffer. Happy Thanksgiving, back at ya.

You can't go yet -- not without reporting on waiver wire picks... (kidding)

Posted by: fischy | November 26, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Love, love, love Sun and Shadow. Anyone who hasn't read it, you're missing out on not just a great soccer book, but some beautiful writing as well.

Posted by: Kenobi | November 26, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

One of my favorite books. Galeano has a way with words.

Posted by: WFU03 | November 26, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

That book is amazing. His Memory of Fire trilogy is amazing, too, albeit different fare than Soccer in Sun and Shadow.

Posted by: defpotec | November 26, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Marinelli and Zotinca were waived by KC and Chivas USA respectively. Why don't we bring them in for a look? Zotinca is definitely an upgrade over Namoff.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | November 26, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

For those who are interested, Houston advanced in CONCACAF Champions League tonight with a 1-0 win over Luis Angel Firpo.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 26, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Zotinca is definitely NOT an upgrade over Namoff. He costs a bit less, and that's it.

Posted by: b18bolo | November 26, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I've got to agree with b18bolo. Zotinca is average at best. Slightly more attack-minded than Namoff, but much worse defensively. He gives away too many freekicks and is fairly easily beaten on the dribble. If he came to DC, he'd have a hard time beating Craig Thompson out to be 3rd choice behind Namoff and McTavish.

***

That's one of my favorite passages from any soccer-oriented book. I also loved the chapter where the old player re-enacts, by himself, a memorable goal in a grocery store.

Happy Thanksgiving, SG.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 26, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

So who did we waive? Some people have mentioned Pat Carroll, but I would think we'd have waived more than just one player (Dyachenko, Miller, and Kirk come to mind).

Posted by: jason1551 | November 26, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Happy Thanksgiving to you Goff and to all. Though we find ourselves in a bit of a rough patch, I am sure we can count a great many wonderful things that we can be thankful for this year in our individual and collective lives. Have yourselves a wonderful and safe Holiday break and enjoy the food.

Though disappointed in the way this season went down I am and will forever be thankful for having my own team, my own tradition, to which my emotions, tears, sweat, joys and pains can be directly linked. Thank you DCU, MLS, the players and to the owners who make it all happen.

Finally...thanks to the Barra, SE, La Norte and all who make us look good on and off TV, do our lads proud and represent for all the faithful...

VAMOS UNITED!!